Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

heh. more like

:smug:

TRASH metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

According to Mastodon's Facebook page, their new song has been relegated to Sirius XM's Octane channel rather than Liquid Metal. Octane is home to Nickelback, Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Disturbed, et al.

:rip: At least we'll always have Blood Mountain.

Listening to Show Yourself now and yeah, we're definitely never getting another Remission either. :smith:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Oldstench posted:

You failed to mention SadEx first. You are a false, don't entry.

When things are going badly, I always say I'm doing SadEx karaoke.

FUKK FUKK FUKK FUKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lch2OgvI4qc&t=279s

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That Ayreon track is... well, in his own words, "a long-rear end bastard of a track".

It's like my high school CD case all thrown into one song, plus Tommy from BTBAM.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DeusExMachinima posted:

heh. more like

:smug:

TRASH metal

That guitar tone is certainly TRASH.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

It's like my high school CD case all thrown into one song, plus Tommy from BTBAM.

You understand what Ayreon is all about.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

Forgot about these guys.

Goddamn "ODIN OWNS YE ALL" lmao.

My brother, who is straight-up named Odin, didn't take down the loving poster for two years straight.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
here, listen to this cool thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Y9qVjsQWU

its like a satanic Judas Priest (albeit with sloppier guitar work) and has some good vocals. It unfortunately also has a fairly pointless intro bit to it, but stick with it and you will be rewarded.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Dat hair :swoon:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm not a fan of long winded intros either, but I kinda liked this one.

Song's legit too.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I miss being a kid and getting high as hell and sitting around with friends listening to an album with an overly long intro that seems to go on for hours and finally the song kicks in and it catches you off guard.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I miss being a kid and getting high as hell and sitting around with friends listening to an album with an overly long intro that seems to go on for hours and finally the song kicks in and it catches you off guard.

I used to enjoy poo poo like this, but now I don't have time for a 5 minute narrative over a synth providing me album exposition.

Oh god I should quit listening to Dream Theater...

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Oh god I should quit listening to Dream Theater...

Yeah.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Man to be honest I've quit listening to them after Portnoy left. Mangini's drumming is boring as gently caress and they are just releasing extremely boring rock operas now. Should have stopped after Octavarium.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Vargatron posted:

Man to be honest I've quit listening to them after Portnoy left. Mangini's drumming is boring as gently caress and they are just releasing extremely boring rock operas now. Should have stopped after Octavarium.

Dream Theater...not even once.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The new live Accept album is pretty good, despite the glaring lack of Udo.

e: Also despite them not playing Love Child :argh:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 8, 2017

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGB551pTeM
Pretty great release, I've never heard of these guys but apparently they put out a demo or two in the mid-90's then broke up. They have reformed and put together this LP of old stuff and new material, very good actual OSDM instead of just a throwback/worship band

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The new live Accept album is pretty good, despite the glaring lack of Udo.

e: Also despite them not playing Love Child :argh:

I saw the Udo tour with him playing a bunch of Accept songs awhile back, it ruled.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I've been catching up on great albums from last year.

Right now Vektor is kicking my rear end, oh my god this is good space thrash gently caress.

Also dont mind Blood Incantation, Altarage and Ulcerate.

What else out there worth a listen?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

2016 stuff that ruled:
Saor - Guardians
Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones
Dark Tranquility - Atoma
Wedrujacy Wiatr - O Turniach, Jeziorach I Nocnych Szlakach
Serpentine Dominion s/t (Corpsegrinder with members/ex-members of Black Dahlia and Killswitch)
Alcest - Kodama
Barrow Wight - Kings In Saurons Service
Gespenst - Forfald
Astrophobos - Enthroned in Flesh
Coldworld - Autumn
Be'lakor - Vessels
Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
Avantasia - Ghostlights
Lycus - Chasms

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BoonyPC posted:

Right now Vektor is kicking my rear end, oh my god this is good space thrash gently caress.

Ripper and Nails released some kickass albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

Here's all the metal albums that made my top 50 besides what you mentioned:

Cobalt - Slow Forever
Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crepuscule
Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas - Mariner
Church of Misery - And Then There Were None
Nucleus - Sentient (has goon connections too)
Nails - You Will Never Be One of Us
Khemmis - Hunted
Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones
First Fragment - Dasein
Destroyer 666 - Wildfire
Zealotry - The Last Witness
Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
Trap Them - Crown Feral
Nadra - Allir vegir til glotunar
Lycus - Chasms
Defeated Sanity - Disposal of the Dead/Dharmata
Katalepsy - Gravenous Hour
Bloodiest - Bloodiest
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Dissociation
Inquisition - Bloodshed Across the Empyrean Altar Beyond the Celestial Zenith
Air Raid - Something Awful
Inter Arma - Paradise Gallows
Hail Spirit Noir - Mayhem in Blue
Bolzer - Hero
Krater - Urere
Wormrot - Voices
Oozing Wound - Whatever Forever
Eternal Champion - The Armor of Ire

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Air Raid - Something Awful

Heh.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

They also have song titles like "Helium Hard-On" and "God Hates Fags, But He Loves the Cock." Despite this they play really technical death/thrash.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BoonyPC posted:

here's an album i thought was cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w26q08Q6z6g

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

They also have song titles like "Helium Hard-On" and "God Hates Fags, But He Loves the Cock." Despite this they play really technical death/thrash.

I confused them with the pure heavy metal Air Raid for a minute. Listening to the album now and it's great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

I confused them with the pure heavy metal Air Raid for a minute. Listening to the album now and it's great.

I only listened to the album on Friday because of the Bandcamp ACLU thing (it wasn't even available outside of shows until last month), but I've caught them live as a local opener a couple of times and they're rad.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

For the recovering dream theater listener I prescribe both the new pain of salvation album "in the passing light of day" which is good but also they remastered Remedy Lane and it sounds even loving better (and its already a rly good album)

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Thanks for all the recommendations!

I was checking out some album of the year lists and I had to check out Terrorizers' list as I used to be a big reader back in the 90's when magazines were still relevant. They had Darkthrones new one as #2, is this just a nostalgia thing? I love some Darkthrone but was a bit underwhlemed by their new album really. Also Neurosis as #1, I don't mind theirs either but it seems like they were just giving the awards to old favourites.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

BoonyPC posted:

it seems like they were just giving the awards to old favourites.

This is pretty standard for any Top X list honestly. I dug the poo poo out of new Metallica but lol at it showing up on so many year end lists.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lol wtf, I was accidentally browsing the first page of this thread thinking I was catching up on the last few posts and wow things had taken a weird turn there. Lots of meltdowns too.

Anyways, looking forward to Nile and Overkill next week -- woo-hoo!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BoonyPC posted:

Vader

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Borderline metal at best, but I really liked MaidaVale's debut from last year. Swedish heavy psych with killer bluesy female vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxKJbU03GS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8wXltrjStM

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

BoonyPC posted:

Mantar - Ode to the Flame
Vermin Womb - Decline
Zhrine - Unortheta

I have to start doing proper year-end lists, I know there's some more stuff that hasn't been mentioned.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vulture Culture posted:

Borderline metal at best, but I really liked MaidaVale's debut from last year. Swedish heavy psych with killer bluesy female vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxKJbU03GS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8wXltrjStM

Your description made me hope this might be a new band to scratch my Blues Pills itch, but alas I can't get much out of this. Be The Fire has a nice groovy riff in it but otherwise the songwriting isn't really doing anything for me.
Can't say the vocalist is exactly blowing me away either, since I've been spoiled by Elin from Blues Pills, Jennie-Ann from Avatarium and Jess from JatAO, whom that chick from MaidaVale really looks like she wants to be, btw.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Chromatic posted:

Owns so hard.

I've loved this song for years but never got around to checking out the actual album. Is the rest of the album this good?

Defiant Sally posted:

It's probably the second best thing Swano has ever done, behind the Crimsons.

Here's a link for the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8czMG450fQ

I'm 4 songs in and completely in love already. Why in the hell did I not listen to this album sooner? Great riffs, soothing yet punchy atmospheres, it's catchy, and it flows well. I really adore the way this album has a way to lay back and let a killer riff take the forefront instead of the way a lot of bands do it these days and try to cram lyrics in every place they can.

Oh gently caress I forgot all about his clean vox. :allears:

Man, this is good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nordick posted:

Your description made me hope this might be a new band to scratch my Blues Pills itch, but alas I can't get much out of this. Be The Fire has a nice groovy riff in it but otherwise the songwriting isn't really doing anything for me.
Can't say the vocalist is exactly blowing me away either, since I've been spoiled by Elin from Blues Pills, Jennie-Ann from Avatarium and Jess from JatAO, whom that chick from MaidaVale really looks like she wants to be, btw.
I can hear the JatAO comparison in their vocal timbres if I stretch for it, but I feel like they're approaching their styles from different directions and landing in sort of similar places. Jess draws more from the Janis Joplin and Stevie Nicks heritage of rock singers, where Matilda Roth is approaching it more from the angle of old R&B/soul singers like Fontella Bass. And I totally get how her vocals aren't everyone's thing.

e: oh, are you referring specifically to her outfit in the video? Yeah, I definitely caught that. There's very little out there on the band, so I don't know if that's her normal thing or if that's something the director threw together for the video. She dressed pretty normally for the photoshoot in this interview: http://www.femmemetalwebzine.net/2016/09/05/matilda-roth-maidavale/

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 9, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah the Jess comparison was purely on the visual side. The outfit is one part of it, but something about her movements and gestures gave me that impression too.

I admit it's probably just her and Jess both doing the same kinda "mystical hippie priestess" thing for performance purposes, rather than her specifically imitating Jess. It was just my first reaction when I saw her swaying and waving her arms, and the tambourine (in some other video) and all.

EDIT: All that said, now that I'm watching the video again to see how badly I'm talking out of my rear end, the song is kinda starting to grow on me.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 9, 2017

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Chromatic posted:

I'm 4 songs in and completely in love already. Why in the hell did I not listen to this album sooner? Great riffs, soothing yet punchy atmospheres, it's catchy, and it flows well. I really adore the way this album has a way to lay back and let a killer riff take the forefront instead of the way a lot of bands do it these days and try to cram lyrics in every place they can.

Oh gently caress I forgot all about his clean vox. :allears:

Man, this is good.

This was a surprise to me too, and it is loving awesome - I've listened to it 3-4 times a day since that post.

I think I missed it due to the time it came out, because in '98 I was pretty strictly into ~serious~ black metal/melodeath and living in a location where the only new metal I heard about was through a semi-yearly delivery of my Metal Maniacs subscription that would always get lost in 3rd world mail systems ( aka stolen ). I wouldn't have been open to it either really - the moment I would've heard those keyboards I would have tuned out, so I'm kind of glad that someone in this thread randomly posted it almost 20 years after its release. Nowadays "If Rush made death metal in the 70's" is right the gently caress up my alley, thank you sir Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Speedtrap just disbanded. :smith: