Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/832221141376831489
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/832356059507462146

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kosumo posted:

That's the ultimate problem, if Star Citizen is to work as a good MMO, it needs a player base, yet the whole time Chris has said it would be bleeding edge game, which means that only a minority could run it, which is not enough to support a MMO type game. What is the point if it's an empty universe?

Just Whales?

one trillion NPCs, all as smart as Deep Blue, all chasing down a lonely and confused B'Tak

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Than nolan nerd is a little bitch. When you block/ignore someone you're admitting it to them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

aleksendr posted:

Not quite sure yet. A good exploration sandbox on a big map would be the perfect illusion of progress and is relatively easy to make. Look how fast Ubisoft was able to turn Farcry 3 into Blood Dragon. Backer will proclaim "See ! the game is progressing !" and if done well it could still bring more $$$ to the furnace and even get some new cash from the few people that like sci-fi but not space ships.

I still think the whole mess wont go belly up completely untill they release either a chapter of SQ42 or soon after you can buy ships with in game money

Ohh more technical debt ! I cant think of a (PC or console)game that has got away with selling "class" for money yet. Heroes with completely new playstyle and powers, yes, but the "norm" for class kits is unlocks from experience or "mission budget" from previous rounds played in a match.

Cant wait to have them try balancing classes...

But, but, but... Blood Dragon not only exists, BUT IT IS GOOD AND FUN AND COOL!

Well, they did sell new classes in Borderlands 2....

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

one trillion NPCs, all as smart as Deep Blue, all chasing down a lonely and confused B'Tak

But (not but, but WHEN) the NPC are in game, they will be super smart (like Deep Blue, only smarter) and some will pity B'Tak as we do and not chase him down, ergo, you are wrong Goonie, like all Goons, you said 'all chasing down' but are WRONG, some wont!, you are only keen to spread FUD (and maybe provide negative air flow over he who cant be mentioned, personal organs, for the satisfaction of your overload?)

You and your pogs are nothing but an in for those who wish to eat the cattes! (We are on to you!)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kosumo posted:

But (not but, but WHEN) the NPC are in game, they will be super smart (like Deep Blue, only smarter) and some will pity B'Tak as we do and not chase him down, ergo, you are wrong Goonie, like all Goons, you said 'all chasing down' but are WRONG, some wont!, you are only keen to spread FUD (and maybe provide negative air flow over he who cant be mentioned, personal organs, for the satisfaction of your overload?)

You and your pogs are nothing but an in for those who wish to eat the cattes! (We are on to you!)

please, gentle sir, i'm naught but a twelve year old sociopath

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Every time I see these two on AtV they look like they know this game is never coming out.

Here they are 6 months ago.

Working at CIG is aging them terribly.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

please, gentle sir, i'm naught but a twelve year old sociopath

Fair enough, who am I to hold anything against a twelve year old, I am not Fuzzy Modem.

Go with (not Fuzzy Modem) love, may your verse be at lest 8-bit.

(If you are hungry, please, help yourself)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 17, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kosumo posted:

Fair enough, who am I to hold anything against a twelve year old, I am not Fuzzy Modem.

Go with (not Fuzzy Modem) love, may your verse be at lest 8-bit.

psyche it's me dr derek smart

bamboozled again!!!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

psyche it's me dr derek smart

bamboozled again!!!

But I done an edit!

I am Dr Smart!

echo bamboozled!

p.s. Derek you look stupid having you alts call each other out so lamely.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 17, 2017

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

poo poo it seems some of my alt accounts have been pirated. The principal is that my D_Smart account is still safe

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Roflan posted:

'Sunk cost fallacy' can apply to virtually all human endeavors. For example, have you ever kept playing a game you hated or weren't having fun with because you were near the end or a major mile-stone?

Nope. Can't say I have.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

They are onto us. Please keep the leaks contained in the other thread you idiots.

e: Wait, it was Derek all along!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 17, 2017

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

They are onto us. Please keep the leaks contained in the other thread you idiots.

e: Wait, it was Derek all along!

gently caress you Derek, gently caress you

Was that good, did I throw them off?

Just kidding Derek, don't dox please

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

TheAgent posted:

Crunch has already been over a full year at this point, with zero chance of it stopping.

so confirmed release in 2017. I am buying back in there is hope!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Just searching "sq42 prelude" shows that to be an obvious lie but ok why bother doing that.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Titanic posted:

What about your opinion on art theft?

Would you show the same leniency towards people who downloaded stock imagery and photoshopped the copy protection logos off?

What about taking characters like the Halo guy and editing it?

I'm curious because you mentioned that everybody is involved in something like this, which I can see, and no doubt corners are being cut at this point because of it all. At what point do you stop and rub your chin and say that these actions have gone a little too far?

Oh yeah, that's a different matter. That could absolutely hurt your career if a potential employer finds out about it - nobody wants to get sued because the new artist is cutting corners.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kosumo posted:

That's the ultimate problem, if Star Citizen is to work as a good MMO, it needs a player base, yet the whole time Chris has said it would be bleeding edge game, which means that only a minority could run it, which is not enough to support a MMO type game. What is the point if it's an empty universe?

Just Whales?

You're assuming here that Roberts knows what a loving MMO is and what's involved and I feel safe in declaring that he doesn't and doesn't and further more never will :pgabz:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hello doctor I think I need some counseling for my sociopathy

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

Pretty much just Pilot/gunner/snub fighter. They said "we just want to get these roles working and in the game, other roles may come later". So anyone with dreams of being Forward Toilet Scrubber First Class will have to wait.

Let's call it "doing the Wilco", in honor of past Sierra glories.

alf_pogs posted:

if i wanted to watch rape i'd just get hbo

:iceburn:

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Bofast posted:

Let's call it "doing the Wilco", in honor of past Sierra glories.

I'll not have the Wilco name soiled by being associated with this train wreck, thank you very much.

E: Call it "doing the Sandy" in honor of her past career

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Every time I see these two on AtV they look like they know this game is never coming out.

Here they are 6 months ago.

Working at CIG is aging them terribly.

Faces of Crunch

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Some of it is the lighting, but yeah, that's pretty terrible.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hello doctor I think I need some counseling for my sociopathy

We should group book, might get a discount. (we could use the money we save for a Javelin)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mangoose posted:

I'll not have the Wilco name soiled by being associated with this train wreck, thank you very much.

E: Call it "doing the Sandy" in honor of her past career

I was thinking of Elite, not money sink simulator 2014 2015 2016 2017

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Mu77ley posted:

Nope. Can't say I have.

Maybe I got that impression from watching too many speedrunners, most of whom seem to hate the game they play.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Roflan posted:

'Sunk cost fallacy' can apply to virtually all human endeavors. For example, have you ever kept playing a game you hated or weren't having fun with because you were near the end or a major mile-stone?

No because I realized a long time ago that wasting energy trying to fix something that's broken is far more energy-consuming than simply moving on.
It sucks at first to get into the mindset, but begins to quickly feel great once you apply the idea to everything.

A friend does something very "unfriend-worthy"? I don't argue, I don't try to fix it, I just cut them off and move on.
After awhile, it feels pretty liberating to simply drop what no longer offers you a quantifiable gain.

What the shitizens don't get is that if SC does come out, all the goons are just going to free-fly troll the living poo poo out of the game just for lols. (I'll be there too).... (It's not coming out, though)

Streetroller fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 17, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Streetroller posted:

No because I realized a long time ago that wasting energy trying to fix something that's broken is far more energy-consuming than simply moving on.
It sucks at first to get into the mindset, but begins to quickly feel great once you apply the idea to everything.

A friend doesn't something very "unfriend-worthy"? I don't argue, I don't try to fix it, I just cut them off and move on.
After awhile, it feels pretty liberating to simply drop what no longer offers you a quantifiable gain.

What the shitizens don't get is that if SC does come out, all the goons are just going to free-fly troll the living poo poo out of the game just for lols. (I'll be there too).... (It's not coming out, though)

Talking about friendships in terms of "quantifiable gain" is pretty weird though. I mean I'd agree with a lot of that mindset regarding most other 'ships

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I had a friend that i considered a good friend, but the moment I wasn't in a position to dogsit for them anymore I never saw them again. It was weird.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Talking about friendships in terms of "quantifiable gain" is pretty weird though. I mean I'd agree with a lot of that mindset regarding most other 'ships

Someone constantly dragging you down when you try to build them up would be a pretty good example of an unbalanced friendship, and one of the most common.

Pretty weird vocabulary in terms of friendship, I think...
but even if you just gave money to someone because it made you feel good is still a "gain", yeah?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
PTU 2.6.0 FALLING THROUGH FLOOR ON SPAWN AND OTHER LOADING ISSUES

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 download game using HTTP method as my university blocks torrent downloads
2 Launch in PTU mode as my live mode crashes on splash screen when I try to launch it
3 Spawn into any player hangar

ACTUAL RESULT
player loads in and immediately starts falling through the floor. I see dots above me that I can fly towards but am limited by how close I can get to them

EXPECTED RESULT
to get to actually play the game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Streetroller posted:

Someone constantly dragging you down when you try to build them up would be a pretty good example of an unbalanced friendship, and one of the most common.

Pretty weird vocabulary in terms of friendship, I think...
but even if you just gave money to someone because it made you feel good is still a "gain", yeah?

Yeah, I mean nobody's got the "duty" to uphold a relationship with someone who drains your will to live, no matter what excuse or reason they think they have. It's more that even if the "gain" from a friendship can be expected to be positive, you wouldn't normally try to quantify it

Sandweed posted:

I had a friend that i considered a good friend, but the moment I wasn't in a position to dogsit for them anymore I never saw them again. It was weird.

Your friend made the calculation (Sandweed's personality + dogsitting capability) - X = 0, and found out that X was negative. I'm sorry

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

99 parp balloons.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Your friend made the calculation (Sandweed's personality + dogsitting capability) - X = 0, and found out that X was negative. I'm sorry

I don't blame them, I am a brokenbrained nerd.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

CIG's made a video begging for some editing

http://i.imgur.com/lqZKUXA.mp4

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

So, imagine you've got $140 million in funding and this is the best you've got to explain your damage model several years into development:

http://i.imgur.com/qF8yZDY.mp4

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Tittlemans crest anyone?

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 17, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
"Predictably there is also a ship sale on as CIG encourage players to pump yet more cash into the game. Out advice is don’t whip out that wallet, they already have over 142 million to make this. If they can’t make it with that then there’s no hope for it."

lol

https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-free-fly-event-now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Also wtf ..."multicrew"