Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol its starting to look more likely republicans can't agree on a budget

you might ask "why the gently caress do i care" because a budget is non-binding and it's the actual appropriations bills that do all the spending, because for some reason you know about how congressional spending works

but no budget means no reconciliation bill, therefore no budget

quote:

With all parties showing an unwillingness to cave, a darker mood has settled over the conference. Republicans railed for years about the importance of budgeting and fiscal responsibility. But now in control of Washington's key levers, their inability to pass a budget represents a huge embarrassment.

“Right now, a budget cannot pass in the House of Representatives,” said Freedom Caucus ringleader Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) at a Friday Heritage Foundation event. “It can’t.”

Republicans increasingly think the window for approving a budget resolution is closing. Asked his own thoughts on the budget, Rep. Chris Collins (R-N.Y.) laughed. “I have to smile because you made an assumption there that there is going to be a budget,” he said

Others agree with him. “Unless we get it on the floor in the next couple weeks, I don't think it’s going to happen,” one GOP aide close to the budget process said.
Without a budget, however, Republicans will run into major problems with tax reform. They need it to unlock the fast-tracking tool, reconciliation, which leaders had planned to use to jam a partisan tax bill through Congress.

Several GOP insiders expect leadership in the next month or two to make this case to the Republican conference, advocating for what’s known as a “shell” budget that only focuses on the reconciliation tool and discards the rest.

The same tactic was used for the fiscal 2017 budget to unlock reconciliation for repealing Obamacare. But conservatives are balking at doing the same thing again — and some aren’t sure such a document could even pass the committee.

“We can try to do a bare-bones budget, just like we did in January,” the GOP aide said. “But I don't think that’s going to make it out of committee.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vegetable posted:

There isn't. The article's point is that the number of people who bought Trump properties under LLCs shot up by 60 percentage points after the election. It suggests those buyers now comprise of a very different group of people, at least.

Yeah, that was about the point he became more toxic than a Superfund site. Not saying anything shady is or isn't going on, but if I worked for a real estate company and was considering buying property from a Trump business, I sure as hell would do everything in my power to keep Trump's name far, far away from anything I was doing.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Priorities, people. The president of the United States of America just blocked Stephen King on twitter.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/874646427091251201

Pressing issues.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Google "Scottie Nell Hughes" and :lol:

My favorite election thing is still her getting offended at Ana Navarro saying "pussy" a lot after the bus tape.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

They should just change the font to comic sans and try again.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, here's my cognitive dissonance for the day:

Washington Post headline: AG Sessions personally asked Congress to allow him to prosecute medical marijuana providers

Stars And Stripes (i.e., newspaper of literally the U.S. Armed Forces) headline: How US veterans are helping advance research into medical marijuana as a treatment for PTSD

Between this, the Army being unable to seat a non-pro-trans Secretary while the Secretary of Education can't promise to punish schools that discriminate; and the DOD championing green energy and fighting climate change while Pruitt peels apart the EPA I'm really confused about how much I'm supposed to hate the military, guys

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

KickerOfMice posted:

Priorities, people. The president of the United States of America just blocked Stephen King on twitter.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/874646427091251201

Pressing issues.

Rowling's gonna slide them into his DMs
https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/874646794436739072

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wow, supposedly Trump actually used a vulgar term to describe AHCA, but AP is being polite about it. wtf

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

skeleton warrior posted:

Okay, here's my cognitive dissonance for the day:

Washington Post headline: AG Sessions personally asked Congress to allow him to prosecute medical marijuana providers

Stars And Stripes (i.e., newspaper of literally the U.S. Armed Forces) headline: How US veterans are helping advance research into medical marijuana as a treatment for PTSD

Between this, the Army being unable to seat a non-pro-trans Secretary while the Secretary of Education can't promise to punish schools that discriminate; and the DOD championing green energy and fighting climate change while Pruitt peels apart the EPA I'm really confused about how much I'm supposed to hate the military, guys

Depends how you feel about brown people being murdered for no good reason, I suppose

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
JK Rowling and Stephen King need to get together and write a book.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Push El Burrito posted:

JK Rowling and Stephen King need to get together and write a book.

Stephen King is way ahead of you, except he just wrote Harry Potter into the Dark Tower for no good reason

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

He's not getting held in contempt. He's a Republican.

Republicans may not hold the House for long.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

you might ask "why the gently caress do i care" because a budget is non-binding and it's the actual appropriations bills that do all the spending, because for some reason you know about how congressional spending works

I was optimistic over the AHCA initially looking dead so I'll assume that they'll figure out some hosed up evil scheme to get it to work again

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Majorian posted:

Republicans may not hold the House for long.

It's a senate committee I thought.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Bernie finally starting to speak out against Establishment Democrats that have been trying to baldly skullfuck him for years:

Link to the NY Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/...eft-region&_r=1

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lemming posted:

I was optimistic over the AHCA initially looking dead so I'll assume that they'll figure out some hosed up evil scheme to get it to work again

i think they'll manage to do it because it would be such a tremendous own goal for no reason at all, but we will see

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Overwined posted:

Bernie finally starting to speak out against Establishment Democrats that have been trying to baldly skullfuck him for years:

Link to the NY Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/...eft-region&_r=1

I was hoping that the Labour victory might wake some Democrats up in the same way that Trump helped labor but my heart is already dead

:ohdear:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
<Bernie> Democrats are too centrist! Please don't ask me about abortion rights.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, that was about the point he became more toxic than a Superfund site. Not saying anything shady is or isn't going on, but if I worked for a real estate company and was considering buying property from a Trump business, I sure as hell would do everything in my power to keep Trump's name far, far away from anything I was doing.

Sure and if that was your real concern you could, you know, not buy Trump properties.

However, if you were someone suddenly quite interested in circumventing bribery and emoluments laws by paying inflated rates for Trump properties, and reporting the official sale prices of those properties as "$10 and other good and valuable consideration" without anyone being able to know who you are or what you actually paid for those properties, then this is absolutely how you do it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

This one is, but House committees can hold someone in contempt. I'm not saying to hold your breath for it, because obviously there's going to be a lot of time between now and next November, and that's making the big assumption that the Dems win. But this is something that concerns Republican legislators right now, and it should have Sessions worried.

Petr posted:

Bernie's record on abortion rights is pretty good.:confused:

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

Well, presumably a Democratic House intel or justice committee could subpoena him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Duke Igthorn posted:

With that much plastic surgery she drat well better be attractive.

dude, don't slut shame

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Chilichimp posted:

dude, don't slut shame

That's not what slut shaming is.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jaxyon posted:

That's not what slut shaming is.

Yeah, I know.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Majorian posted:

Bernie's record on abortion rights is pretty good.:confused:

I would avoid a qualitative assessment of his record on abortion rights and just say that his standpoint is well reasoned and has not wavered over the years. It's funny that Petr wants to drag the most polarizing political issue into a conversation where no mention has been made about it. And also in such a vague way as to imply that Bernie has anything to hide about it. He would tell you straight up what his views are. He's not hiding a god damned thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Please fire Sessions now Trump

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Here's a sentence I'm gonna have to get used to typing: I just learned something about reconciliation that I didn't know before.

We knew that the house bill had to save at least $2B over 10 years to be eligible for reconciliation and they blew way past that, saving $133B. What I didn't know is that since the house bill saved that much, the Senate is now locked into passing a bill that saves at least $133B or more to qualify for reconciliation. That does not leave them with a lot of room to make the bill substantially less evil without giving up some of the precious tax cuts for billionaires that they crave.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Depends how you feel about brown people being murdered for no good reason, I suppose

Are we talking about Mattis or Sessions?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

what

What the gently caress. The great sweeping actual dangers that are happening lately I am able to hold out at arm's length and examine. It's the tremendously juvenile poo poo like this. So petty, so spiteful. This man has a warmachine at his command.
How did we get here? I need a drink.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Your Taint posted:

"This healthcare bill is mean and written by stupid dumbheads. We need something gooder that will heal people's owies."

I rpomised everyone easy answers to tough questions, so you are going to deliver easy answers

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Overwined posted:

Excellent picture of Bernie eeking out a sick-nasty fart.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Petr posted:

You: Why can't those dumb anti-abortion voters see they're voting against their own interests based on a single issue?

Also You: Bernie isn't a true progressive because I don't think he's sufficiently pure on an issue.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

skeleton warrior posted:

Are we talking about Mattis or Sessions?

yes

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonjames/status/874707710112964608

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pander posted:

You: Why can't those dumb anti-abortion voters see they're voting against their own interests based on a single issue?

Also You: Bernie isn't a true progressive because I don't think he's sufficiently pure on an issue.

You can't both blast "centrists" yet be willing to compromise on women's rights. There is a long and unfortunate habit of things that are men's issues being "people's issues" and women's issues being "women's issues".

That said, the stuff he put in there is pretty democratic mainstream at this point.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Overwined posted:

It's funny that Petr wants to drag the most polarizing political issue into a conversation where no mention has been made about it.

It's totally off topic for this thread, but only in so far as "Bernie Sanders is awesome!" is off-topic, and I'm not the one who started that.

In the interests of not derailing, folks can google "bernie sanders abortion" themselves.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Petr posted:

In the interests of not derailing, folks can google "bernie sanders abortion" themselves.

Nah that's ok, I already saw his campaign the first time.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

I always wondered how Republicans planned to pass a budget as well as do an ACA repeal with reconciliation. I vaguely recall that Republicans can pass another reconciliation bill after summer recess but that may have been bullshit. So, do they have to roll an ACA repeal and a budget together into one reconciliation bill before summer recess?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
What does Donnie mean when he says mean?

Dos he mean mean as in meaning bad or mean mean as in meaning good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Petr posted:

Actually I think you'll find he answered levelly when asked about what you're alluding to, but keep dangling those worms out :thumbsup:

• Locked thread