Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

The shill squad is almost correct when they say that goons are "Just haters mad because they aren't developing the game the way they want"

You just need to cut off "the way they want" from that

E: Taxxe, my cat, sweetpea

Gosts fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Ominous Woosh posted:

The Citizens are revolting.

Long time lurker first time poster. Keep up the good work thread goonies.

Welcome, friend :hfive: How much are you in for, Commando?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mandalore/status/1165680573148540929

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ominous Woosh posted:

Lowtax thanks you for your donation to the cause- be sure to check your forums hangar for your complimentary spaceship jpeg

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

An exclusive opportunity

(The ship is already for sale to everybody else, 675 new money only, 725 filthy old money)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Also: look Beet, you're famous :toot::v:

Erenthal posted:

good job beet, you're even famous in sweden now

Hell yeah, no more cat food dinners for old beet wagon, now! We've hit the big time, bud!

Sabreseven posted:

I adjusted the image slightly for clarity. :)

It's absolutely criminal that this can't be a thread title

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

:agreed:

For example, I recently grabbed Titanfall 2 for 5 bucks. What a scam. Game didn't crash once, I didn't have to break the security permissions on my system folders, I never clipped through anything, everything worked smoothly, I never stretched into a Cronenberg horror, enemy AI functioned, just literally everything in that game worked. 5 dollars. This is not how game development is done. The correct approach is to charge hundreds, even thousands, gently caress it even tens of thousands of dollars, for the privilege of watching a hundreds-strong team fail to implement almost anything for the better part of a decade, and what little is implemented is impossibly broken all the way down to its roots.

There are a lot of what I would call "pretenders" out there (meaning anyone not CIG) and I'm getting tired of getting taken for a ride every time I try to buy a game. You know who the scam companies are because they'll have booths at "E3" or at "Gamescon" or any number of fake industry events they make for no other reason than to pull the wool over the eyes of an unsuspecting public. You have "games" like Hellblade using a talented person who isn't even using an #actress hashtag, and the complicit games media gives it high marks. CIG is the only company with the sense to put in a talentless wooden plank, who happens to be married to the CEO and imagines this will provide Hollywood inroads, as a prominent character, and that makes CIG the only actual game development company in history.

I'm sick of fake games everywhere. I've been banging this drum since Space War came out in 1962, and told everyone that would listen that 6 years later there would appear a star over Redwood City and that would herald the creator of the only real game ever made. Nobody listened and now we have a multi-billion dollar industry peddling vaporware that does little more than run as intended and provide entertainment to the consumer.

No more. It ends now 2019 2020 20??

Only good thing about Anthem was that it made me get one of those basic Origin Access subs so I could try the Anthem demo and then switch over to playing the Titanfall 2 campaign :)
Not sure if I mentioned this at some earlier point, but having the "online" features in Dragon Age: Inquisition enabled caused my Origin account to keep getting locked because of "suspicious activity".

Ominous Woosh posted:

Hi, new friend :wave:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

lol they got an angry e-mail from Chris. Spill the beans

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

lol they got an angry e-mail from Chris. Spill the beans

Pretty quick response from him tbh, doesn't it usually take him >8 hours to write a letter? :D

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The pcgamer article is back

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Daztek posted:

The pcgamer article is back

Linked, looks like they've added a bit :)

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/this-new-mine-laying-star-citizen-spaceship-announced/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They probably had to take it down because "no, you can't have it" was in the URL and they couldn't edit that part.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Little zinger at the end. "Oh, we're not technically correct, eh Chris? Let's just get in there and make sure we fix that..."

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm not sure if "and you can have it for 135 more" is much better than "and you can't have it"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Erenthal posted:

:lol:
I would invite Beet to visit, but I'm afraid he would now get mobbed at the airport for his celebrity status :D

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't know if you guys saw it, but there was a thread on that dinner posted on resetera and SC defenders are getting eviscerated there:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ye...75-ship.137162/

Goons! Goons Everywhere!

Just quoting this for the gif.

his nibs posted:

Welcome! Do you have any pets you can post?

Hasten to add he means pictures. We're Goons, not monsters.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Little zinger at the end. "Oh, we're not technically correct, eh Chris? Let's just get in there and make sure we fix that..."

Quick reminder that by the end of this year, Disney will have released a trilogy of Star Wars movies in the same amount of time it took CiG to....fully staff their offices?

Hell, throw in Rogue One on the pile.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol, just noticed Nicholson in the picture.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I love that SQ42 is gonna be mostly cutscenes directed by Chris Roberts.

Even the shills don't want to defend his director creds.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Erenthal posted:

Look at how loving happy Sondelius look in his pic.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, just noticed Nicholson in the picture.

Lmao :D

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

I've thought of the Daikatana and DNF comparisons before, and they are apt comparisons, but there's also something missing. In Daikatana's case, there was a lot of rockstar ego going on, bad communication, it's all out there to research. However, John Romero did know how to make a game, just not a good one. The developers there knew what they were doing. Of course it wasn't good but it more or less functioned as intended. Except maybe the AI. DNF was just in a ridiculous development hell, there was nothing really stopping it except they were the opposite of CIG - every time they had a new idea, they threw out everything they had and started over. Eventually it just languished for years (I have no evidence but I'm personally convinced they actually just stopped development) until another company came in out of nowhere and said "OK guys do you want us to make a DNF game or not." In that sense DNF wasn't really in development all that time, because in the end it was all tossed and a totally separate company made their own game using that license.

Star Citizen was coming along until about 2014. Something happened with Chris and he went all the way off the rails, they lost actual game developers, and now the whole thing is a giant broken model viewer being massaged by fresh college grads. Unlike the above two examples, the people at CIG have no idea how to make a game and have no shipped titles (except Erin and technically Chris if you go back far enough.) Chris still thinks "3D models + motion-capture = game" so there's no chance for a release beyond a series of cutscenes linked together by slow hallway navigation, reminiscent of Myst. Which frankly is the era he seems intent on bringing everyone back to.

The thing is Ion storm also started with people that had no experience in the industry outside the founders and they managed to release 6 games in their 9 year history. People tend to ignore that Daikatana was just another game that failed to sell by Ion storm, had their other games sold well, John Romero himself could have fixed some of the issues.

The inexpenience thing didn't come into play for me, Goldeneye; one of the best console shooters was made with 1st timers. But then CIG decided they had no-one else and decided to make them leads.

I don't think we would care so much had CIG also been working on other games in the meantime and was working on SC without taking peoples money. Oh this Wing Commander thing Chris wants to make, yeah what else are these devs working on.

The thing that I keep questioning is why is this still going and why this game. Wing Commander for all the poo poo we pile on with ben lesnicks obsession with it, was a good game, it was never the best game of the time. Even take freelancer, good game but didn't sell well and was pretty much forgotten by everyone.

What has made people come back into gaming after 10 years and go "I want to spend $10,000 on this game." ?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hav posted:

Quick reminder that by the end of this year, Disney will have released a trilogy of Star Wars movies in the same amount of time it took CiG to....fully staff their offices?

Hell, throw in Rogue One on the pile.

And Solo

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

stingtwo posted:

The thing is Ion storm also started with people that had no experience in the industry outside the founders and they managed to release 6 games in their 9 year history. People tend to ignore that Daikatana was just another game that failed to sell by Ion storm, had their other games sold well, John Romero himself could have fixed some of the issues.

The inexpenience thing didn't come into play for me, Goldeneye; one of the best console shooters was made with 1st timers. But then CIG decided they had no-one else and decided to make them leads.

I don't think we would care so much had CIG also been working on other games in the meantime and was working on SC without taking peoples money. Oh this Wing Commander thing Chris wants to make, yeah what else are these devs working on.

The thing that I keep questioning is why is this still going and why this game. Wing Commander for all the poo poo we pile on with ben lesnicks obsession with it, was a good game, it was never the best game of the time. Even take freelancer, good game but didn't sell well and was pretty much forgotten by everyone.

What has made people come back into gaming after 10 years and go "I want to spend $10,000 on this game." ?

I played WCII and WCIII on the 3DO and I enjoyed them enough at the time, they were simple arcade shooters. I didn't care about the story. I think WCII was probably the better game, but WCIII introduced the 3D models, whereas WCII used 2D models that swapped out as your relative position changed. A decent enough trick at the time. What set the games apart, for me, were the different wingman personalities - it wasn't just what they were telling you on coms, but how they flew and fought - each wingman was entirely different. You could turn off their names and still know which wingman you had purely on behavior. What ruined WCIII was the introduction of FMV cutscenes and too much emphasis on what Chris mistakenly believes is "story."

I think the Tie Fighter mission briefings were probably the pinnacle of the genre. "This is your mission, here is some expensive computer equipment we're gonna show you the mission directives in 3D, now get out there" and within 1 minute of launch something goes sideways and you're forced to improvise. That never happened in the WC games that I can recall. In fact I don't remember anything aside from the basics of combat. They were fine, but not great.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also a new TV show.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Gosts posted:

The shill squad is almost correct when they say that goons are "Just haters mad because they aren't developing the game the way they want"

You just need to cut off "the way they want" from that

E: Taxxe, my cat, sweetpea

:3:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

I played WCII and WCIII on the 3DO and I enjoyed them enough at the time, they were simple arcade shooters. I didn't care about the story. I think WCII was probably the better game, but WCIII introduced the 3D models, whereas WCII used 2D models that swapped out as your relative position changed. A decent enough trick at the time. What set the games apart, for me, were the different wingman personalities - it wasn't just what they were telling you on coms, but how they flew and fought - each wingman was entirely different. You could turn off their names and still know which wingman you had purely on behavior. What ruined WCIII was the introduction of FMV cutscenes and too much emphasis on what Chris mistakenly believes is "story."

I think the Tie Fighter mission briefings were probably the pinnacle of the genre. "This is your mission, here is some expensive computer equipment we're gonna show you the mission directives in 3D, now get out there" and within 1 minute of launch something goes sideways and you're forced to improvise. That never happened in the WC games that I can recall. In fact I don't remember anything aside from the basics of combat. They were fine, but not great.

Another nice thing about the Tie Fighter missions were those bonus objectives that the game didn't even tell you about unless you specifically achieved them.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sabreseven posted:

Having fun with this:

totally awesome
scarier then playing resident evil 7 in vr

edit: just wanna mention x-wing alliance which i found great and spent a lot of time with. (also played xwing and tie but xwing-alliance to me is number one)

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 26, 2019

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Bofast posted:

Another nice thing about the Tie Fighter missions were those bonus objectives that the game didn't even tell you about unless you specifically achieved them.

I also loved those relatively simple power settings that had so much impact on the game. There was a weakness if I remember, there was a miscalculation in balance where you could always charge your shield to max by putting full power into weapons then shunting the power directly to shields once accumulated, which was far faster then putting full power into shields. I'd almost have to put that under "bug" but otherwise managing power settings was so core to the experience. Contrast Star Citizen where those "power levels" are all over the screen, obscure your view, and serve no purpose and never will.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, I didn't get the memo that ED is not a finished game and SC is. Obviously ED is the real scam!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I could buy 30 copies of Elite Dangerous: Commander Deluxe Edition for the price of 1 Aegis Minelayer

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
AND THATS A loving FACT

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

God drat, this really is the game these people deserve

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It was the loving paycheck, not the unique opportunity to spout low-rent sci-fi drivel in a ping-pong-ball costume.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/citizens/17211-This-Week-In-Star-Citizen

"Friday will see a new episode of Pillar Talk, our quarterly series providing in-depth discussions on the progress of our game. Did you miss the first episode featuring Chris Roberts Tony Zurovec, John Crewe, and Eric Kieron Davis? Catch it here."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LWYtyV6pak

I can't wait :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

The real pay2win was the friends we made along the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

boviscopophobic posted:

The real pay2win was the friends we made along the way?

If I paid $675 and won Lethality as a friend, I would call shenanigans and demand my money back.