Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bawfuls posted:

stay indoors and also don't run any A/C because the power grid is stressed enough already

nah we good http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
yeah the silver lining of the state being covered by smoke is that it's blocking the sun and the temperature is ~10 degrees cooler than what it otherwise would be, saving electricity!

Folks, maybe Nuclear Winter is the solution here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone is still looking for air purifier, Costco has the Winix C545 back in stock for $120. Comes with 2 years worth of filters which retail for ~$70 by themselves.

https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html

edit: out of stock again, sheesh

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/PG-E-error-at-power-plant-may-help-explain-15567028.php

quote:

A mistake by Pacific Gas and Electric Co. may have played a role in people losing power on one of the two days that California experienced rolling blackouts during an extreme heat wave last month.

On Aug. 15, one day after an energy supply shortage caused California’s first rolling blackouts in 19 years, PG&E erroneously directed a 400-megawatt power plant in Fresno County to scale back.

The company says it intended to tell a smaller plant to wind up to full capacity but the message to reset output instead went to the larger, natural gas-powered Panoche Energy Center, located near Interstate 5 about 50 miles west of Fresno.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Crimeny.

Also thanks HelloSailorSign for linking the CAISO site, that's good poo poo that I've bookmarked and will be checking daily until the temperatures and fires dial back. I didn't realize we relied on Natural gas for close to 50% of our grid generation: loving hell we are slacking on renewable something fierce. I guess it's better than coal but that's not really saying much of anything.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

Crimeny.

Also thanks HelloSailorSign for linking the CAISO site, that's good poo poo that I've bookmarked and will be checking daily until the temperatures and fires dial back. I didn't realize we relied on Natural gas for close to 50% of our grid generation: loving hell we are slacking on renewable something fierce. I guess it's better than coal but that's not really saying much of anything.

It's a bit better than that usually, but the vast majority of renewable power is solar, and a giant cloud of smoke blotting out the sky isn't helpful. You can see daily graphs here and set the date back to see historical data.

Even without smoke, though, you'd need massive amounts of energy storage to be able to handle load after the sun starts setting, especially since demand tends to peak around that time.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

It's always PG&E, isn't it? Even if they're not the root cause, PG&E is somehow still always a contributing factor. :lol:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Incredible. Not as bad as the whole "nuclear launch detected" thing in Hawaii a little bit back, but still.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Admiral Ray posted:

Incredible. Not as bad as the whole "nuclear launch detected" thing in Hawaii a little bit back, but still.

Please remember that good UI people are worth the money

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

b0lt posted:

It's a bit better than that usually, but the vast majority of renewable power is solar, and a giant cloud of smoke blotting out the sky isn't helpful. You can see daily graphs here and set the date back to see historical data.

Even without smoke, though, you'd need massive amounts of energy storage to be able to handle load after the sun starts setting, especially since demand tends to peak around that time.
Offshore Wind I chant, banging my fists on the table rhythmically forever

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sydin posted:

lmao the Democrats are so far gone as a party that Trump just swooped in and saved literally millions of people from homelessness after the Democrats

Oh yeah that definitely happened

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/14/911939055/despite-a-new-federal-ban-many-renters-are-still-getting-evicted

quote:

Houston Public Media sent a reporter to four different courthouses last week to observe about 100 eviction cases and found that only one renter was able to use the CDC order to block eviction. So in 99% of those cases the order was having no effect at all.

Man I wish Democrats would just lie about poo poo as hard as Trump, a real political genius.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/14/911939055/despite-a-new-federal-ban-many-renters-are-still-getting-evicted

Man I wish Democrats would just lie about poo poo as hard as Trump, a real political genius.

Has there been a follow-up on the California order and how that is or isn't helping people? If I remember correctly it's similar to the CDC order except you also have to come up with 25% of each month's rent.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

Crimeny.

We're still doing pretty good, if you look at our CO2 historical emissions we've cut it by half in the last 5 years
http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/emissions.html

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Has there been a follow-up on the California order and how that is or isn't helping people? If I remember correctly it's similar to the CDC order except you also have to come up with 25% of each month's rent.

Not that I've seen yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jaxyon posted:

lmao did you seriously go back all those pages just do dig this up and try to dunk on me? :jerkbag:

Also :lol: yeah good for the the honest, clean, above the board, never taking their constituency for a ride Democrats! :ironicat:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh my god seeing blue sky for the first time in a week is incredible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sydin posted:

lmao did you seriously go back all those pages just do dig this up and try to dunk on me? :jerkbag:

Also :lol: yeah good for the the honest, clean, above the board, never taking their constituency for a ride Democrats! :ironicat:

Yeah because I knew you'd try and spin it onto the Democrats like I think they're good or something. I think they suck. I'm not about to fall for their lies.

When actually what I was doing is pointing out that you hate Democrats so hard you literally fall for Trump propaganda.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

b0lt posted:

It's a bit better than that usually, but the vast majority of renewable power is solar, and a giant cloud of smoke blotting out the sky isn't helpful.

Yeah that's fair, and from what I understand part of the reason we had the grid issues during the heat wave a couple weeks ago was because California recently took some natural gas plant(s) off the grid, so we're hopefully trending in the right direction.

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah because I knew you'd try and spin it onto the Democrats like I think they're good or something. I think they suck. I'm not about to fall for their lies.

When actually what I was doing is pointing out that you hate Democrats so hard you literally fall for Trump propaganda.

Please bend over backwards more to defend the one party who will do nothing to help you vs another party that will do nothing to help you, because at least the first one is honest about it! :allears:

e. also just :lol: that you apparently did this because you wanted to pick a fight on these dead comedy forums owned by an abuser. Get a life nerd.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 15, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sydin posted:

Please bend over backwards more to defend the one party who will do nothing to help you vs another party that will do nothing to help you, because at least the first one is honest about it! :allears:

e. also just :lol: that you apparently did this because you wanted to pick a fight on these dead comedy forums owned by an abuser. Get a life nerd.

LOL not defending Dems at all.

Just pointing out you literally bought a known lying fascist at face value hook line and sinker. I was hoping this would cause you reflect on how you ingest news and propaganda.

But you can be mad about me for pointing out that you made a mistake, and say that I love Democrats and want to marry them or some poo poo because you can't conceptualize that someone might disagree with you without holding opposite views. That's also a route you can take.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Blue skies. Feel much better

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
lol

https://twitter.com/elex_michaelson/status/1305583883476377600?s=21

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We have horrible, bright blue skies all goddamn year, I'll take a few weeks of overcast red apocalypse over endless sun. :colbert:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man, he loving owned Trump holy poo poo the Cheeto is done for.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

extremely Trump charts

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Jan posted:

We have horrible, bright blue skies all goddamn year, I'll take a few weeks of overcast red apocalypse over endless sun. :colbert:

I found Trump's SA account

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I laughed when newsom explained to him that CA only owns 3% of the forest, but this is amazing.

Kenning posted:

Man, he loving owned Trump holy poo poo the Cheeto is done for.
If I had a nickle for every time someone has said that I would give everyone free health care.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lucky you.

LA is still the same haze for the past week.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I recently realized that I cannot run the fan in my rented house to filter the air without the furnace also being on.

drat two wire thermostat :argh:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CopperHound posted:

I recently realized that I cannot run the fan in my rented house to filter the air without the furnace also being on.

drat two wire thermostat :argh:

Any way to turn the gas off so it just runs?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

Any way to turn the gas off so it just runs?
Tried that. It has a failsafe where it won't kick in the blower until the heat exchanger heats up. I haven't tried pulling the cover where the thermostat wires go in to see if there is a separate fan terminal because access is somewhat challenging.

E:
The vent pipe crosses over the front of the access panel because it is set up in a blow down configuration.

E2: I'm dumb and forgot this is the politics thread. I'll stop furnace chat.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 16, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Funny how people will literally blame everyfire on an individual etc. Like oh a commuter threw a flare and started the fire! Because a flare was found on the ground. Seems like an inherent need to blame a person on acts non scientists can't explain for themselves.*

*More like people just don't do research and get their info from their Facebook feed if friends posting bs videos of ANTIFA super soldiers starting fires etc because a dude has a jerry can for blackburns.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's a lot easier to blame fires on individuals doing dumb poo poo then it is to blame decades of mismanagement and poor judgement regarding forest management, city planning, and climate change. The former has a really simple solution (stop doing dumb poo poo) while the latter is an laundry list of extremely technical, expensive, and time consuming steps that may very well include a point where we decide we either need to move populations out of areas that are designed to naturally burn, or just accept the risk that they could very well burn down every year.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I mean, it can be both. Decades of mismanagement, climate change, etc. create the conditions for a single spark to ignite a gigantic wildfire, and then some idiot goes out and provides that spark.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Funny how people will literally blame everyfire on an individual etc. Like oh a commuter threw a flare and started the fire! Because a flare was found on the ground. Seems like an inherent need to blame a person on acts non scientists can't explain for themselves.*

*More like people just don't do research and get their info from their Facebook feed if friends posting bs videos of ANTIFA super soldiers starting fires etc because a dude has a jerry can for blackburns.

Dirk the Average posted:

I mean, it can be both. Decades of mismanagement, climate change, etc. create the conditions for a single spark to ignite a gigantic wildfire, and then some idiot goes out and provides that spark.
Just going to point out that the previous largest fire in California history since 1932, the Mendocino Complex Fire in 2018, was started by a person driving a metal stake into the ground to plug up a wasp nest. Yeah there's other causes, but people will do some really dumb poo poo. It also makes a more catchy headline for the news.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Smoke from the fires has actually gotten sucked all the way to New York and Washington D.C. by jet streams.

https://twitter.com/NWSNewYorkNY/status/1305666259141312514?s=19

https://twitter.com/MikevWUSA/status/1305627690293133319?s=19

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 16, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

Just going to point out that the previous largest fire in California history since 1932, the Mendocino Complex Fire in 2018, was started by a person driving a metal stake into the ground to plug up a wasp nest. Yeah there's other causes, but people will do some really dumb poo poo. It also makes a more catchy headline for the news.
I mean incredibly dumb for people in the immediate vicinity, yes. But it isn't the sort of thing most reasonable people would consider would lead to opening a portal to unleash the flames of hell to cover one quarter of our state.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The new dust bowl sucks to be honest

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I mean incredibly dumb for people in the immediate vicinity, yes. But it isn't the sort of thing most reasonable people would consider would lead to opening a portal to unleash the flames of hell to cover one quarter of our state.

Also wouldn't fires not be nearly as out-of-control without climate change? Like, yeah, fire bugs start fires, but they have always started fires. They don't usually start fires that burn down whole towns. I am not a fire scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

adoration for none posted:

Smoke from the fires has actually gotten sucked all the way to New York and Washington D.C. by jet streams.

Fukn took long enough, why should we have all the fun.