Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Trying to tear myself away from monster hunter long enough to give this a shot. I can just keep using my old save, right? I assume I'll see all the new stuff just by trying to fill out the post its or other obvious clues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Trying to tear myself away from monster hunter long enough to give this a shot. I can just keep using my old save, right? I assume I'll see all the new stuff just by trying to fill out the post its or other obvious clues?

Kill Hush 3 times to start most of the new stuff.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Twice in a row the fool card never spawned in depths 2 (first time was necropolis, second time was dark depths). Idk if I'm missing something but one of those X rocks should have had one, right?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

No Wave posted:

Twice in a row the fool card never spawned in depths 2. Idk if I'm missing something but one of those X rocks should have had one, right?

It's a skull with an X, not a tinted rock

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It's a skull with an X, not a tinted rock
Yeah - no more skulls left on the map.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Wave posted:

Twice in a row the fool card never spawned in depths 2 (first time was necropolis, second time was dark depths). Idk if I'm missing something but one of those X rocks should have had one, right?

It only spawns in the Mausoleum or Gehenna.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Kill Hush 3 times to start most of the new stuff.

Thank god, I was not looking forward to having to hit the reset button 500 hours in

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lord_Magmar posted:

It only spawns in the Mausoleum or Gehenna.

It's spawned in Depths 2 for me multiple times now

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's spawned in Depths 2 for me multiple times now

Oh then I have no clue what’s up sorry, just what I thought I had heard/known.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh then I have no clue what’s up sorry, just what I thought I had heard/known.

Did you have the pill baggy item? Does that still change all cards to pills? I think someone mentioned that happened to them. It's been there every time for me in depths.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

No Wave posted:

You did finish the antibirth path and unlock the mysterious door first right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Vegastar posted:

You did finish the antibirth path and unlock the mysterious door first right?
nooo I have to beat that thing? Ok that explains it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Do you still get the Strange Door in Gehenna? I'd assumed it was Depths only and was avoiding the alt path.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

No Wave posted:

nooo I have to beat that thing? Ok that explains it.

Yeah, no fool skull until you clear the boss at the end of the Corpse unfortunately.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Do you still get the Strange Door in Gehenna? I'd assumed it was Depths only and was avoiding the alt path.

Just the depths. Because of the way the paths are offset you have to reach mausoleum or Gehenna with mom already dead, which means Depths 2 -> Gehenna 2

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah okay Edmund had something to say about the new final ending in someone’s stream Isaac is definitely still dead of abuse, the person talking to him isn’t his father but the Holy Father, God, letting Isaac see what his life could have been like having freed himself from an unsure purgatory to enter Heaven, having realised his mother truly was wrong about him being a monster and a demon (Dogma is his mother’s beliefs, the Beast his repressed self image informed by those beliefs). Personally I prefer the entire thing being Isaac and his dad working through his trauma after a custody battle involving Child Protection Services.

You know i forgot to add this that if isaac is indeed dead at least hes no longer stuck in purgatory and has gona to a better place

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I just realized Repentance is a massive buff for Samson/Bloody Lust since you can chain 2nd floors over and over for arcade chances. Basement 1 -> 2 -> downpour 2 -> caves 2 -> mines 2 -> depths 2 -> mausoleum 2. Long as you have 5 cents it should be a lot easier to get ahold of an IV bag to pop that damage off safely.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ah okay Edmund had something to say about the new final ending in someone’s stream Isaac is definitely still dead of abuse, the person talking to him isn’t his father but the Holy Father, God, letting Isaac see what his life could have been like having freed himself from an unsure purgatory to enter Heaven, having realised his mother truly was wrong about him being a monster and a demon (Dogma is his mother’s beliefs, the Beast his repressed self image informed by those beliefs). Personally I prefer the entire thing being Isaac and his dad working through his trauma after a custody battle involving Child Protection Services.

Would Ed really be that direct about the plot? He's always seemed more of an Open To Interpretation guy to me

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

managed to score a win on the alt-path after entering the mausoleum with half a heart. i can feel the rust coming off

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm a little sad if that's the case tbh. I know "it's just a dream" is usually a copout, but this particular ending path feels far more interesting as a challenge to the games' themes than a continuation of them. The idea of literally turning back before it's too late, realizing the factors in play that were never Isaac's fault, and confronting how Isaac's imagination, anxieties, and strangeness combine into something uniquely dark and twisted are fascinating. Isaac having a sloghtly happier dying dream, not so much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a good concise guide anyway of the various routes through the game, a basic unlock path of "do this to unlock these rooms" etc? I aged a bit of Rebirth but kinda checked out until this final dlc hit so I'm woefully out of touch and all the YouTubers have hundreds of hours into each iteration from base to now, and the wiki just presents everything all at once.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

God flaws and all I forgot how much I love Isaac

It's probably my favorite "relax and chill" game of all times

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

Is there a good concise guide anyway of the various routes through the game, a basic unlock path of "do this to unlock these rooms" etc? I aged a bit of Rebirth but kinda checked out until this final dlc hit so I'm woefully out of touch and all the YouTubers have hundreds of hours into each iteration from base to now, and the wiki just presents everything all at once.

I'm not aware of any summary, though one probably exists, but if you look at the wiki page of what you're trying to unlock, it will tell you. For example (spoilers, obviously):

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Home

On the paper at the right, it tells you the unlock method.

If you're looking at an end-game thing like the above, you might have to follow a few links to find the next thing you need to do. Specifically for repentance, there are a couple of new paths:

"Antibirth" path: do all the alt levels (first requires a key, second requires 2 bombs, 3rd requires 2 hearts of any kind) getting the knife piece on the first and second, then after killing mom, use the knife on the cracked doorway and kill the heart. Then just progress through floors.

Alt character unlocks: after doing the above once, kill mom, teleport out of the room afterwards (there's a guaranteed fool card in a marked skull on that level) then go through the new door. Once you're in home, the corridor outside mom's room has a hidden door you need to either use the red key to open, or the cracked key. The cracked key can be guaranteed by leaving a trinket in a boss or item room on your way down. Go back to the same room on the way up and the trinket will have turned into a cracked key. The final final boss is also in home.

AB+ and earlier the progression is much more obvious and is generally about just filling in each characters post-it. I won't spoiler it because it's all old stuff. You can see what each mark does, and find out how to unlock each character here:

https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Completion_Marks

The only things you may not stumble across are mega-satan, a couple of timed events and one semi-random thing:

Reach dark room / chest with something that can open the big door: https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Mega_Satan
Kill mom in 20m: https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Boss_Rush
Kill mom's heart / it lives in 30m: https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Hush
Chance of portal after certain bosses, or guaranteed after hush: https://bindingofisaacrebirth.fandom.com/wiki/Delirium

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lol was writing a huge rear end post but phone typing is slow.

Dont forget that to unlock polaroid and negative you gotta kill isaac or satan enough times. Then to enter chest take the polaroid and clear the cathedral or to enter the dark room take the negative and clear sheol.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, just clear the game as far as you can like 10-20 times, try going fast if the first few floors give you good items. This will unlock a ton of stuff.

Also, play greed mode!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Going to Home, and there's no door out of the Mines XL boss room. Softlocked. Dear God let us use mods and the console again.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Even with a 100% clear save file, it feels like there's so much to do and learn. Glad to be playing this again. I killed a new final boss just as they killed me, so that was a waste but was fun to get that close after only a second encounter.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Killed the final-final boss this morning and now I've been taking various characters through for unlocks. So far the hardest character to clear it with has been Azazel just because of how his brimstone works.

Alt Azazel was hilariously easy because Mauso II before grabbing Dad's Note gave me Ludovico, which may as well be an "I Win" button for the true ending path.

It feels like a moderately good run can clear it once you know how to dodge the attacks properly. I especially like that the bosses don't appear to have an overwhelming amount of Boss Armor. So the fights last just long enough to be interesting.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Apparently range ups actually do something with Azazel now so that's at least something

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Apparently range ups actually do something with Azazel now so that's at least something

They always did, though the revamp? of the range stat seems to make it easier to gain a significant amount of range.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dreamcatcher is a really really cool item

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

goferchan posted:

Wow there are some really really cool "deep unlocks". Never expected a new arcade machine https://v.redd.it/zxuqxnqdzzq61
Speaking of which, people who haven't done it yet should really try beating Greedier Mode with the alt characters.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Today, with the help of Dr. Fetus, Mr. Mega, Host Hat, and a lack of due care, I learned what happens if you bomb the mirror while on the other side of it. Turns out you start taking damage once every half-second as soon as you leave the room. I even got brought back to life by the mysterious paper, then promptly died again... :cry:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kawalimus posted:

Did you have the pill baggy item? Does that still change all cards to pills? I think someone mentioned that happened to them. It's been there every time for me in depths.

Sack head can replace it with a sack too

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

If there's one thing I've learned about Ed from the alt characters, it's that he loves two things: Red heart containers and melee-type attacks. Almost all of them I've played so far has had either one or both of these going on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bethany with the Spin 2 Win top is hilarious.
It's not a build that's very viable but it's fun.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just completed pica run (the challenge i was hoping theyd add) and isaacs awakening (got mega blast in the second devil room lol)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ArfJason posted:

just completed pica run (the challenge i was hoping theyd add) and isaacs awakening (got mega blast in the second devil room lol)

These challenges rule. I'm liking the Bethany without Book of Virtues one too, although I'm having trouble beating it.

I'm starting to realize I need to rethink devil deals completely. Maybe it's just unfamiliarity with the new enemies, but health is a lot more important. It seems like health items are less of a % of the pools now, and the tinted rocks getting nerfed in hard mode makes health pretty tough.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fuuuuck. Sorry if this was covered already but it seems significantly harder. This feels like Flash Wrath of the Lamb, where you're fishing for damage early or you lose. Plus some of the new patterns are just dumb. I was fighting Hush and he did the full screen wrap around shots about 8 times in a row in different directions each time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Isaac’s Awakening challenge was really fun, I kinda wish I could just do normal runs like that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Is it just me or is blood oath not really worth it? I had it crunching six hearts off me each floor for only (I think) 3ish damage. Not sure how you'd really improve it without breaking it though. I think I'm gonna pass on it from now on