Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

CortezFantastic posted:

When I feel myself writing a really long paragraph about an aspect of a podcast I don't like I typically reconsider listening to it, maybe you don't actually like the show?

Criticizing something in a thread doesn't make you a hater necessarily. I think Seltzer wants a better JRE podcast and while repetitious discussion hasn't gotten to me too much yet, I agree with him/her that it's a wasted opportunity. People gave Joe poo poo for coming off like a misogynist douche and I think he really turned a corner as a result. Maybe it took him a year or two but it happened. This is no different. He's said as much that people are sick of hearing him say the same poo poo so I wouldn't be surprised if it's something he works on at his own pace.

Ultimately that's what keeps me a fan, though. He's a really genuine dude with an open mind, and he's willing to change or say that he's wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I listen, much less than say, from the start to about two years in, but I listen. The problem is exactly what everyone says, weak guests and repetitive chats. It's best just to keep it to people you actually want to hear IMO

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Seltzer posted:

You've literally never had anything negative to say about this podcast. Are you an intern there or something? If he talked about bow hunting once it'd be one thing. He brings up the topic randomly and constantly now with guests who don't care about it. He even interjects his raw milk, psychedelics will save the planet, "Boston comedy was tough" rehashed poo poo when he has incredibly fascinating people in front of him with the rare opportunity to speak to them unfiltered. I enjoy the podcast from time to time, but if you think talking about bow hunting for 20 minutes with Dave Atell (when he's rambled about it for months now) is good or interesting I don't know what to say to you. His inability to not tread back to the same topics is becoming increasingly annoying. People always say he fills a lot of hours in a week so he might talk about the same stuff. Guess what, love him or hate him, when Howard Stern has an interview, he interviews the guest. Tom Scharpling from The Best Show did 3 hours every week for over a decade and would routinely talk by himself for hours without rehashing old material and when he did interviews they were fresh as well. If you can't figure out why hearing about raw milk for the 15th time when an interesting person is on the podcast is annoying, then you're pretty stupid. I find myself hitting the fast forward button more and more even when he has good guests on which isn't a good sign.

So, basically, you're mad that the show isn't what YOU want it to be, so you keep listening to it despite apparently being bored of it. Cool? This is like goons syndrome--its the CAD thing all over again. "BOY we sure hate CAD!" "Yeah! We hate it so much that we read every update every day so we can post the comic and mock it because we hate it so much!"

It just seems to me that the majority of people who post in this thread do so just to complain, so if I seem overly positive about the podcast, it's a response to that. There are certainly things about the show I dislike--mostly the overabundance of lovely Libertarians that Joe brings on and salviates over--but in general, I enjoy the show, and I don't find it irritating when Joe talks about archery or whatever because he's passionate about it, and it's fun to hear about. Joe's gotten me interested in bow hunting, which I sure wasn't before I listened to the podcast. What I like about the show is that it's Joe talking about his interests, and he brings in guests who are part of his interests. I like his dopey friends and their stupid rambling conversations and I like his jokes. If you don't, and you're welcome to, then go and do something else with your time. There's lots of podcasts out there. Or make your own! It's a brave new world.

And yes, I also cherry pick episodes. Some guests don't really appeal, and some surprise me. It's not really more complicated than that.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
They talk about rotoscoped animation for about 20 minutes. Don't know if that is a trigger for you.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, basically, you're mad that the show isn't what YOU want it to be, so you keep listening to it despite apparently being bored of it. Cool?

Seltzer posted:

I enjoy the podcast from time to time

This is like goons syndrome--its the CAD thing all over again. "BOY we sure hate CAD!" "Yeah! We hate it so much that we read every update every day so we can post the comic and mock it because we hate it so much!" It just seems to me that the majority of people who post in this thread do so just to complain

Joey Donuts posted:

Criticizing something in a thread doesn't make you a hater necessarily. I think Seltzer wants a better JRE podcast and while repetitious discussion hasn't gotten to me too much yet, I agree with him/her that it's a wasted opportunity.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

But, but goon syndrome :rolleyes:

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

It is pretty funny, but he talks about archery for about twenty minutes so WATCH OUT for a man talking about his interests.

I listened to it tonight. Joe mentions archery in passing two times and then Dave steers the conversation towards archery, which then leads to The Walking Dead, comics, and movies. They talk about archery for less than 10 minutes and Dave is the one asking Joe questions about it. It's not one of Joe's typical rants about bow hunting.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
For what it's worth I listened to about an hour of the Attell show (my first JRE in quite some time) and thought it was good. Joe wasn't too overbearing, Dave was funny. Attell had a great off-the-cuff line about proms, Joe brought up doing prom shows as a young comic and Dave's like "Proms are different these days because the kids always have some social/political message involved. 'I'm gonna take a spotted owl as my date and you can't stop me.'"

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Joey Donuts posted:

Criticizing something in a thread doesn't make you a hater necessarily.

Coming to this thread to post a one sentence jab at a stupid thing Rogan says is hating. If the complaining and eye rolling posts were taken out of this thread it would be like 5 pages long.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

So, basically, you're mad that the show isn't what YOU want it to be, so you keep listening to it despite apparently being bored of it. Cool? This is like goons syndrome--its the CAD thing all over again. "BOY we sure hate CAD!" "Yeah! We hate it so much that we read every update every day so we can post the comic and mock it because we hate it so much!"

It just seems to me that the majority of people who post in this thread do so just to complain, so if I seem overly positive about the podcast, it's a response to that. There are certainly things about the show I dislike--mostly the overabundance of lovely Libertarians that Joe brings on and salviates over--but in general, I enjoy the show, and I don't find it irritating when Joe talks about archery or whatever because he's passionate about it, and it's fun to hear about. Joe's gotten me interested in bow hunting, which I sure wasn't before I listened to the podcast. What I like about the show is that it's Joe talking about his interests, and he brings in guests who are part of his interests. I like his dopey friends and their stupid rambling conversations and I like his jokes. If you don't, and you're welcome to, then go and do something else with your time. There's lots of podcasts out there. Or make your own! It's a brave new world.

And yes, I also cherry pick episodes. Some guests don't really appeal, and some surprise me. It's not really more complicated than that.

Who cares?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
On the latest podcast, Joe Rogan comes down on the side of Donald Sterling.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Can we all just talk about how annoying Bryan Callen is instead?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

You should check out Callen's podcast with Will Sasso and Chris D'elia if you hate him, love him, or think he's ok (They poo poo on Bryan constantly and it's the best).
http://tenminutepodcast.com

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Really enjoyed the Greg Fitzsimmons appearance. He's one of the better regular guests Joe has on since they have such similar starting points but took such vastly different directions in their comedy career.

Pretty crazy how one of them literally started a week after the other.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I've never listen to 'Fitzdog' radio before, but checking out the list of podcasts I see a lot of guests I like.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I like Fitzsimmons a lot and listen to his podcast pretty regularly, but it drives me crazy that his radio show is called "The Greg Fitzsimmons Show" and his podcast is called "Fitzdog Radio."

bullfights on acid
Jul 21, 2012
I like Schaub.

The fact that he is a giant moron is what makes him so funny.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Bryan Callen calling Joe out for randomly getting sensitive about whatever random topic was pretty great, as that is really irritating as a listener who hears Joe go off on the dumbest poo poo and doesn't even bat an eyelash.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

On the latest podcast, Joe Rogan comes down on the side of Donald Sterling.

Lol which one was this? Tremendous.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Skip My Posts posted:

Lol which one was this? Tremendous.

I think he means the Bryan Callan episode, where "coming down on the side of Donald Sterling" is "agreeing that his mistress is a gold-digger". I think they also discuss whether or not he's drunk. I don't recall him saying anything to defend Sterling's words.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I think he means the Bryan Callan episode, where "coming down on the side of Donald Sterling" is "agreeing that his mistress is a gold-digger". I think they also discuss whether or not he's drunk. I don't recall him saying anything to defend Sterling's words.

Joe says its wrong that Sterling got in trouble for what he did. He talks about how the world is hosed up if someone has to "be on guard" about what they say all the time. You aren't totally remembering everything he said.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Bundt Cake posted:

Joe says its wrong that Sterling got in trouble for what he did. He talks about how the world is hosed up if someone has to "be on guard" about what they say all the time. You aren't totally remembering everything he said.

Yeah, he basically said it's wrong that Sterling got the team taken away for what was said in a illegally recorded private conversation between him and his gold digger. Which, I can see how that makes sense to someone but it doesn't excuse him from being a racist piece of poo poo.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
hosed up in the sense that you have to be on guard in a private conversation because someone could be secretly recording you.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bundt Cake posted:

Ah, I had forgotten about that conversation, my bad.
Well, it is pretty hosed up if someone has to be on guard about everything they say all the time and

Viper_3000 posted:

Yeah, he basically said it's wrong that Sterling got the team taken away for what was said in a illegally recorded private conversation between him and his gold digger. Which, I can see how that makes sense to someone but it doesn't excuse him from being a racist piece of poo poo.

This entirely. I don't think Rogan said anything to diminish him being a racist piece of poo poo, but I agree that getting the team taken away based on an illegal recording is questionable at best, and it seems that nobody's raising the important question of who (Sterling's wife) is profiting the most off these recordings, made by somebody, and nobody's taking responsibility for that either.

wolfbiker posted:

hosed up in the sense that you have to be on guard in a private conversation because someone could be secretly recording you.

Yeah, I'd really like this to not be the future we end up living in.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
He's not going to court. People could be recording you at any time. This is literally the world you're living in.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
Is Brendan Schaub special in any way? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just wondering if he has a learning disability of some kind that would explain why he sounds so loving retarded. I hear he engages in some pugilistic activity that incorporates grappling and the use of feet too, so I wonder if he's endured some head trauma that would diminish his cognitive capabilities to the extent that he sounds so loving retarded. Also, what the gently caress is a chickenhead?

Edit: Eddie Bravo levels of retarded.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ZeroDays posted:

Is Brendan Schaub special in any way? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just wondering if he has a learning disability of some kind that would explain why he sounds so loving retarded. I hear he engages in some pugilistic activity that incorporates grappling and the use of feet too, so I wonder if he's endured some head trauma that would diminish his cognitive capabilities to the extent that he sounds so loving retarded. Also, what the gently caress is a chickenhead?

Edit: Eddie Bravo levels of retarded.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

That explains some things. He's adorable though, just like Bravo, and I don't mind listening to him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ZeroDays posted:

That explains some things. He's adorable though, just like Bravo, and I don't mind listening to him.

He's just so darn enthusiastic about everything and whatever. Even when he's babbling like an idiot, he has this great big smile plastered on his face. Plus he's not really much stupider than, say, Peter Schiff.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I get the feeling he's almost doing an exaggerated version of himself when he's podcasting, as if he's performing or something. I do like the dynamic of him and Bryan on their podcast though, he's always giving "The Kid" a hard time and calling him out on his bullshit. He can't seem to pronounce anyone's name correctly though.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Well you know Crash, at the Float Lab, devised a special type of screen

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Unless this guy named Crash got his name as a member of a 90s hard rock parody band then I hate him, in spite of his extensive knowledge of locking himself and also other people inside moist tubes.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Tim Kennedy interview pretty good. Pro-hunting, yet surprisingly light on archery talk.

EDIT: OH MY GOD. The whole episode is just nothing compared to the last thirty minutes. Everyone needs to watch the last chunk of the Tim Kennedy episode. It's...it's something special.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 8, 2014

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Would listening do?

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Lampsacus posted:

Would listening do?

Apparently not. It may be that my expectations were set too high by BottledBodhisvata, or that I just missed whatever was so special 'cos I was playing a game at the time, but I never really noticed anything worth ejaculating over. Apart from Rogan calling Brendan Schaub a "meathead". That was amusing.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I didnt think it was so great either.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lampsacus posted:

Would listening do?

There's a visual element involved, although you could also youtube it alongside the podcast.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What was amazing about the last 30 minutes?

Just finished listening to it. Was there something on the video when they were talking about Bisping?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If there were only some sort of clue to answer your question on this page, or on the post immediately before yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What am I missing smartarse? All thats been said is that it is in the last 30 minutes and its 'visual'.