Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Danny LaFever posted:

You should probably just watch basketball, which is good. Instead of those trash games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
...So is Capers going to "retire" after this season?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I think basketball and football are both good so I'll just watch both. Warriors/Rockets :dance:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The Warriors are cool but lol at ever watching basketball over literally any football game ever

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The Warriors are cool but lol at ever watching basketball over literally any football game ever

Eh Basketball >>> Football

Give me a bad basketball game over a bad football game any day of the week.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Sorry about your bad brain, maybe one day Flowers for Algernon will become more than a work of fiction and you can live a full life

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Imagine choosing any game featuring the Browns over any game involving dunks

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Browns vs Packers was still better than any product the NBA will put out all year unless they give Draymond Green three hours of open mic a night on national television to body LeBron

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Basketball is annoying because it has the best fans and players but the worst actual viewing experience

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Maybe read a book instead that night

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GeneX posted:

Basketball is annoying because it has the best fans and players but the worst actual viewing experience

what makes you say this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah man that whopping ~11 minutes of action in any given 3 and a half hours long football game is so fun to watch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dexo posted:

Yeah man that whopping ~11 minutes of action in any given 3 and a half hours long football game is so fun to watch.

This is why I laugh whenever I hear football fans say baseball is boring.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
You’re allowed to like whatever sport you want, except soccer.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

people always cite this but a huge part of football is setting up the play and watching adjustments and shifts happen in anticipation of the play

it's dishonest to count only the action that happens after the ball is snapped because so much happens before then

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Detroit_Dogg posted:

*Can like Soccer every 4 years or whatever rotation they have the World Cup on

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Dexo posted:

Almost as fun to watch as the 80 or so meaningless points teams each have to score before anything in a basketball game matters.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

iospace posted:

This is why I laugh whenever I hear football fans say baseball is boring.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I like how methodical football is

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Remember how it took years to fire Shawn Slocum and it wasn’t until his unit blew an NFC Championship game that he got the boot? And then Ron Zook came in and was immediately way better? Fire Capers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

sponges posted:

I like how methodical football is

Well you see Tony, football is a game of human chess.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The only time I really watch regular season basketball is on Christmas Day, out of sheer and total boredom, for a little while, before taking a nap.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Dexo posted:

Eh Basketball >>> Football

Give me a bad basketball game over a bad football game any day of the week.

I agree a bad football game is waay harder to watch than a bad basketball game, but great football games have a higher ceiling to me. There are so many different variables in football, so the outcomes are more dramatic to me. There are only so many twists that can happen in a basketball game.

Not that basketball doesn't have exciting games, it definitely does.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OTOH, "the Block" is the second best play I've ever seen in any sport (and the first is a combination of two plays and also tainted by homer glasses)

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

OTOH, "the Block" is the second best play I've ever seen in any sport (and the first is a combination of two plays and also tainted by homer glasses)

if you are a vikings fan and this play is not your number one favorite of all time, well...you might be wrong.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Basically football can be zoned out on a bit but has cool stuff happen in almost every play, basketball is boring as gently caress until halfway through the 4th quarter (with dunk and block exceptions), mostly because each basket is worth so little overall

however, they're both infinitely better than golf, or worse, nascar (which is only good when there's a crash)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I just went to the Pistons/Warriors game, and the most exciting parts were:

- a shot at the end of the first half
- the last 1:30 of the game

It was close the entire game, and still.

The best sport, obviously, is either high-level hockey or crazy high-scoring garbage hockey.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I bought that nfl gamepass and boy howdy is it nice to not watch 1000 ford commercials. Also games are like 45 minutes. I'm not a huge football fan or anything but it's increased my enjoyment a ton.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

AsInHowe posted:

or crazy high-scoring garbage hockey.

This is why the only correct answer is junior hockey. One or two levels below the NHL. Tickets are like five bucks, the kids play out of their drat minds hoping to impress a scout who may or may not even be there.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BGrifter posted:

This is why the only correct answer is junior hockey. One or two levels below the NHL. Tickets are like five bucks, the kids play out of their drat minds hoping to impress a scout who may or may not even be there.

College hockey is way better, especially with baked in rivalries.

And teddy bear tosses.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

AsInHowe posted:

And teddy bear tosses.

I dunno. As a teenager growing up I got to see Scott Niedermayer, Mark Recchi, Jerome Iginla, Darryl Sydor, Shane Doan and a ton of other future NHLers play weekly with tickets my mom got free for buying groceries. It was pretty sweet getting to go to games at least weekly for the entirety of my teen years.

Good times.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

AsInHowe posted:

And teddy bear tosses.

As someone who went to UND I can agree.

8 dollar huge Fat Tires ruled.

The Hockey was fun too.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Detroit_Dogg posted:

:britain: ***TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP*** :britain:

also I unironically suggest you all watch some 20/20 cricket, poo poo is good (but not as good as 5 day Test matches :getin:)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i have AHL season tickets and its definitely fun to go but lmao if you think more than one or two of these teams in the entire league can run more than one line that can actually possess the puck. its all dump and chase and its more bad than higher level dump and chase, which is impressive.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

rabidsquid posted:

i have AHL season tickets and its definitely fun to go but lmao if you think more than one or two of these teams in the entire league can run more than one line that can actually possess the puck. its all dump and chase and its more bad than higher level dump and chase, which is impressive.

The Monsters are pretty good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
rugby 7s is the best actual sport to watch. check out the fiji gold medal win from the last Olympics, a near complete game is on YouTube. it's only a 20 min game anyways but it's like all the excitement of football but better

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BUG JUG posted:

if you are a vikings fan and this play is not your number one favorite of all time, well...you might be wrong.

it's my favorite football play but I have to adjust for context and a random regular season game is going to lose out to game seven of the nba finals (against a team that had the first even unanimous mvp and a 3-1 lead) every time

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Look, we’ll never get anywhere arguing about which sport is the best, but I think at least we can all agree that not liking the NBA makes you a racist and that preferring hockey makes you a mega racist.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rabidsquid posted:

When I was a kid, my dad would take me to River Rats games (they were the Devils' farm team at the time). They ran a variant of the Devils' neutral zone trap that was pretty effective. It was fun to watch, and through a scheme that would take too long to explain I once got to have dinner with Patrik Elias when I was seven. So woohoo AHL for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Henchman of Santa posted:

Look, we’ll never get anywhere arguing about which sport is the best, but I think at least we can all agree that not liking the NBA makes you a racist and that preferring hockey makes you a mega racist.

Is hockey more racist than football? I guess hockey is more Ivy League WASP racism vs football's beer gut MAGA chud racism.

Lacrosse is probably worse than both tbh

• Locked thread