Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: This is gonna rule

Boy I hope so. Seeing Road Warrior in the theater was an action movie highpoint for me and I've got my fingers crossed for more of that and less of Beyond Thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I'm oddly excited for Hugh Keays-Byrne; they're still holding to the 'cast great obscure Australian character actors' formula, I see, and he was great in Farscape. The fact he gets his own character poster, as if anyone besides nerds like me knows who he is, is great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PriorMarcus posted:

Why is Magneto in this?

:doh:

Is there some type of purple/yellow colorblindness I don't know about?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The weird thing about those posters is how they interlock. Tom Hardy is seen in the Nicholas Hoult poster, who leads into the Charlize Theron poster, which features a tiny Keays-Byrne hanging out the window, which goes into his poster.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hewlett posted:

I'm oddly excited for Hugh Keays-Byrne; they're still holding to the 'cast great obscure Australian character actors' formula, I see, and he was great in Farscape. The fact he gets his own character poster, as if anyone besides nerds like me knows who he is, is great.

The casting of Hugh Keays-Byrne also follows the formula of casting Bruce Spence in two completely different roles in Mad Max 2 and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome

Hugh Keays-Byrne played the lead villain, Toecutter in Mad Max, back in 1979.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Why is Magneto in this?

As I understand it, Disney/Marvel can use any X-Man character, they just can't call them mutants or use the exact same name. That's why Jeremy Renner can be in it as basically Arrow at the same time he's in a CW TV show.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Sir Kodiak posted:

As I understand it, Disney/Marvel can use any X-Man character, they just can't call them mutants or use the exact same name. That's why Jeremy Renner can be in it as basically Arrow at the same time he's in a CW TV show.

Holy loving poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

I love everything about this.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Skwirl posted:

:doh:

Is there some type of purple/yellow colorblindness I don't know about?

The answer is that this "Vision" character, whom nobody has heard of, is using the effect same upright, legs together, arms spread flying pose that is commonly used by "Magneto," a character people have heard of.

They're also trolling that dude from the previous page who was super upset about it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sir Kodiak posted:

Is that why the guy on that poster isn't the same actors as in the new Flash series? You would think they wouldn't want to confuse people by having multiple versions of the same character everywhere.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
We're so close to the inevitable end of this discussion, when one of CD's comic book nerds starts blowing out blood vessels, strokes out, and posts from his hospital bed, typing angrily with only one arm.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Meatwave posted:

We're so close to the inevitable end of this discussion, when one of CD's comic book nerds starts blowing out blood vessels, strokes out, and posts from his hospital bed, typing angrily with only one arm.

A talent they have fostered over time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dick Trauma posted:

Boy I hope so. Seeing Road Warrior in the theater was an action movie highpoint for me and I've got my fingers crossed for more of that and less of Beyond Thunderdome.

Then you should probably read this:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/07/26/sdcc-mad-max-fury-road-debuts-synapse-searing-footage/

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
It's bullshit that the human torch hasn't said "flame time" even once in these new movies and just gone to town on everyone. Rise of the Silver Surfer is still the best Marvel movie so far imo.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Vagabundo posted:

The posters basically get across what the big selling point for the Mad Max movies are - chaotic vehicular mayhem in rural South Australia. I also kind of like the Imperator Furiosa one.

Except it wasn't filmed in SA this time :(
It rained for loving ages and turned the desert into an English garden. Coolest thing that could have happened here in a while and we blew it, good job rain.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Meatwave posted:

Full poster:

I like the sexy lady doing the cat claws.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Except it wasn't filmed in SA this time :(
It rained for loving ages and turned the desert into an English garden. Coolest thing that could have happened here in a while and we blew it, good job rain.

What the gently caress, Australia. Movie ruined! :argh: That kind of poo poo is why you guys haven't held the Bledisloe since 2003.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Japan has a real nack for making action poster even more... action-y.

Can't wait to see what they do with Fury Road.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Those Mad Max posters look awesome, and I've never seen the Mad Max movies.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

davidspackage posted:

Those Mad Max posters look awesome, and I've never seen the Mad Max movies.

They don't actually hold up that well, and I'm Australian.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they actually hold up really well, and I'm American

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The ending of the first one is the only noteworthy thing about it, the second is a classic and the third has Tina Turner for some reason.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

With Lawrence Dallaglio on back-up vocals on the theme song. Yes, that one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

The ending of the first one is the only noteworthy thing about it, the second is a classic and the third has Tina Turner for some reason.

Anyone who can survive Ike Turner can survive, and flourish in, the apocalypse.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

They don't actually hold up that well, and I'm Australian.

I agree with you, but only if you're talking about THUNDERDOME. Seeing as how Mad Max 2 is the the single greatest movie Australia has ever produced.

With the only possible exceptions being one of the following:

So speaks the New Zealander.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Where's The Castle?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Meatwave posted:

Full poster:

Why does Hawkeye have an arrow glued to his left forefinger while his bow is in the other hand?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

Where's The Castle?

Don't watch that either. Animal Kingdom, Mary & Max and Wake in Fright should be the only canon.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Don't watch that either.

What the gently caress.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

What the gently caress.

The Castle is a really ugly movie that romanticises a type of people that don't deserve it. I hate that it's such a cultural touchstone, it's one of those movies you're almost expected to like growing up here, but realising that someone idolises it was a fast track to knowing we weren't going to mesh well.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The Castle is a really ugly movie that romanticises a type of people that don't deserve it. I hate that it's such a cultural touchstone, it's one of those movies you're almost expected to like growing up here, but realising that someone idolises it was a fast track to knowing we weren't going to mesh well.

You sound like a fun dude to be around.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In the 1980s in L.A. there was an independent cable channel that used to show loads of Australian movies from the 1970s and '80s. Many of them were great, some were godawful and a few were responsible for some... interesting... posters.

And he really was terrifying!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Harlequin / Dark Forces is a really good movie, though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What was the name of that channel?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Z Channel

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

so you hate poors or something what is this

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think he might just hate Australians. I mean who can blame them. If there anything The Proposition, Wake in Fright and Neighbors have taught me it's that Australians are a nation of sweaty goblinoids that draw nourishment from misery and hatred. Except for Harold of course.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Hahaha that Tarantino quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Hahaha that Tarantino quote

Tarentino has a pretty apt knowledge of Australian Oz-Spolitation films as he kept getting copies of them when working in a video store and being completely blown away by films where women were tied naked to the front of moving cars.
The background to half of Australia's film industry is we got an R rating in the 70's, went balls and tits out with making as many grindhouse films as we could, and then Star Wars and Jaws came along and we had no chance in hell to compete against blockbusters during the 80's and have reverted to doing dramas about mid-life crisis.