Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

Just…. just read the new Saga Press version’s order. You’ll drive yourself loving insane trying to read Elric in publication order.

The Saga order doesn't look too bad, although it still strikes me as odd to cram The Fortress of the Pearl and The Revenge of the Rose, which were written much later, in between the various 60s and 70s-era stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Just read it in the order of whichever dogeared lurid-covered paperback you've managed to find in a second hand bookshop for $2 as is traditional
:emptyquote:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

sebmojo posted:

Just read it in the order of whichever dogeared lurid-covered paperback you've managed to find in a second hand bookshop for $2 as is traditional

Interpreting Elric’s story entirely from images airbrushed on the sides of vans

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

And as Arioch intended.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Baen and Simon&Schuster for my lord Arioch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Steven Colbert is producing an adaption of the Chronicles of Amber by Robert Zelazny. I remember not getting into this one years and years ago, can't remember why. Thoughts on the series?

e: also if you haven't read The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi, you should because it's coming true right now

https://twitter.com/CatoJunger/status/1615079304035008535

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 18, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Steven Colbert is producing an adaption of the Chronicles of Amber by Robert Zelazny. I remember not getting into this one years and years ago, can't remember why. Thoughts on the series?

It's the one he wrote for money, not love

it's good, because Z is a good writer.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I went into them after a friend (and probably this thread) told me to expect a pulpy series more than Lord of Light, and with that expectation I've enjoyed them. I'd say in terms of storytelling they're on par with a solid long-running urban fantasy series or something along those lines, but yeah the moment-to-moment writing is pretty solid. That said I've only read the first couple or three, I've heard the second set of five books is not as good.

They honestly would probably make for a pretty solid TV series, they kind of have that sort of action-driven, episodic feel, but with a longer story arc that ties them together. I wonder if Colbert getting the rights to an adaptation means that there's finally something getting settled on the rights issues around Zelazny's books. It's really criminal how hard it has been to get copies of some of his stuff off and on over the years, especially ebook versions.

On that subject, anybody know why some of Banks's Culture novels don't exist in ebook form (at least anywhere I've checked)? I assume it's another rights issue but it's a weird one if so, I have all the books as ebooks except Excession and Inversions, which are books 4 and 5. And annoyingly, Excession's the next one in the series for me, and my local library is also missing most of the series. They have Phlebas, Player of Games, and Look to Windward, but none of the rest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harold Fjord posted:

It's the one he wrote for money, not love

it's good, because Z is a good writer.

Yeah, it's super clear reading Amber that Zelazny was *literally* just making it up page by page as he went along with zero prior planning at all, amnesiac protagonist GO and a new plot twist every 1500 words.

Still good but you just sorta have to buckle in for the ride and turn off your critical faculties.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

zoux posted:

e: also if you haven't read The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi, you should because it's coming true right now

https://twitter.com/CatoJunger/status/1615079304035008535

Yes and no. The community is unincorporated and didn't secure water rights before starting development. They had an agreement with Scottsdale to provide water if there was sufficient supply, which there no longer isn't. So, yeah, it's the first chapter of the book, just without the National Guard.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm surprised it took this long for an Amber adaptation, given that it's an easy elevator pitch: "It's Game of Thrones meets Sliders."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for an Amber adaptation, given that it's an easy elevator pitch: "It's Game of Thrones meets Sliders."

Zelazny's stuff has been locked in rights hell between his ex wife, kids, and 2nd wife for decades. Took forever for ebooks to come out for the same reasons. This could be a sign that that's all getting worked out which is great news generally.

Amber I'm not so excited about, sure, fine. A Lonesome October adaptation? holy poo poo

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
How many episodes could you get out of Lonesome October? Surely not 31.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Selachian posted:

Nobody under the age of 70 knows what Sliders is

Lord of Light probably deserves a good adaptation but people might just call it a ripoff of Stargate

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Zelazny's stuff has been locked in rights hell between his ex wife, kids, and 2nd wife for decades. Took forever for ebooks to come out for the same reasons. This could be a sign that that's all getting worked out which is great news generally.

Amber I'm not so excited about, sure, fine. A Lonesome October adaptation? holy poo poo

A Lonesome October adaptation feels like the kind of thing I very much want but really absolutely don't in a "monkey's paw wish" kind of way. I don't think it's likely to be made without turning it into a kind of run-of-the-mill Tim Burton-esque kiddy-goth cartoon. Which is not to say those are inherently terrible, but there's something magic about that book that seems highly likely to get lost in translation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I imagine Lord of Light has zero chance of ever being adapted on account of pissing off too many religious people...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

A Lonesome October adaptation feels like the kind of thing I very much want but really absolutely don't in a "monkey's paw wish" kind of way. I don't think it's likely to be made without turning it into a kind of run-of-the-mill Tim Burton-esque kiddy-goth cartoon. Which is not to say those are inherently terrible, but there's something magic about that book that seems highly likely to get lost in translation.

Even the worst adaptation gets more people to read the book.

But yeah it could be really awful. If they pulled it off though! Just if they did!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 18, 2023

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
it's be awesome just to get a Lonesome October audiobook that doesn't suck butts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fighting Trousers posted:

it's be awesome just to get a Lonesome October audiobook that doesn't suck butts.

They released one last month.

(I agree that Zelazny was nearly as bad at narrating books as he was good at writing them, though.)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OddObserver posted:

I imagine Lord of Light has zero chance of ever being adapted on account of pissing off too many religious people...

There was one planned in the 70s to jump on the Star Wars craze, there was even plans to turn the set into an amusement park after shooting was complete. Hired Jack Kirby to do all the concept art and everything.

Production ended up getting canceled after the first wave of cash ins bombed. All the preproduction ended up getting used by the CIA. If you've seen Argo its the movie they used to get I to Iran under the pretense of location scouting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Listen, if Aronofsky’s crazy-rear end Noah movie got made then so can Lord of Light.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don't think Lord of Light would work too well, since IIRC the whole concept takes a couple chapters to click whereas sci-fi visuals would give it away immediately.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I have a strange fondness for the Zelazny narration of Lonesome October, because it sounds exactly like how I imagine Snuff would sound. It falls in the same guilty pleasure category as the heavily-abridged Gibson narration of Neuromancer, which is an absolute fever dream with a hypnotic cadence that is nonetheless worth listening to for the author’s take on his own work.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Babel: Or the Necessity of Violence: An Arcane History of the Oxford Translators' Revolution by RF Kuang - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MD95S5V/

Equal Rites (Discworld #3) by Terry Pratchett - $2.50
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9393Y/

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JFJHTS/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

OddObserver posted:

Yeah between lovely venal Hindu gods, Buddha being either a fake or an assassin and Jesus being an autistic war mongering necromancer it's almost magically pan offensive.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pradmer posted:

Babel: Or the Necessity of Violence: An Arcane History of the Oxford Translators' Revolution by RF Kuang - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MD95S5V/

What the gently caress.

This is an amazing rear end title

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

What the gently caress.

Lol yeah, I'm genuinely curious, though I thought Poppy War was a tedious turdburger of a book

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Harold Fjord posted:

What the gently caress.

I'm halfway through, it's p. good so far.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I thought Babel was a bit overrated. Really liked the idea, but my major problems were that everyone sounded like an American college student from 2019, and every time a character was racist the text had to point it out, as if it's afraid the reader will think that depicting racism without a big "this is bad" sign means that the book is, itself, ~problematic~. Which has the side effect of making me think that any racism that's NOT signposted is actually stuff the author doesn't see as being an issue (some of the comments about celtic languages spring to mind).

Ultimately it felt kind of like what you'd get if you mashed up Strange and Norrell with Baru Cormorant and then made it as shallow as a puddle. It took all the subtext about race and gender in Strange and Norrell and approached it with such a hamfisted 21st century attitude that I wondered what the point of setting it in the Victorian era was.

I enjoyed it while I was reading it, and it was definitely an engaging read, but it didn't blow me away. The magic system was neat, though.

Edit: Lol I made basically exactly the same post last time we were talking about Babel, I should really have checked my posts first.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

cptn_dr posted:

I thought Babel was a bit overrated. Really liked the idea, but my major problems were that everyone sounded like an American college student from 2019, and every time a character was racist the text had to point it out, as if it's afraid the reader will think that depicting racism without a big "this is bad" sign means that the book is, itself, ~problematic~.

I'd wager real money that this is a trauma response to interacting with the modern SFF scene as a young person.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd do the same, lotta people out there looking for windmills to tilt at.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

General Battuta posted:

I'd wager real money that this is a trauma response to interacting with the modern SFF scene as a young person.

I mean yeah, almost certainly. I get it, I just think it's bad writing, though more a problem with the state of the genre ATM rather than with Kuang herself.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Rand Brittain posted:

They released one last month.

(I agree that Zelazny was nearly as bad at narrating books as he was good at writing them, though.)

Is that the one released last August? I admit, I didn't care for that one, mainly because the narrator was (*clutches pearls*) American.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Fighting Trousers posted:

Is that the one released last August? I admit, I didn't care for that one, mainly because the narrator was (*clutches pearls*) American.

I’ve just listened to the audible sample of it, and to my great surprise, the narrator seems to be trying to emulate Zelazny’s original narration! He doesn’t quite have the voice for it though, and yeah, it doesn’t exactly work. At least more people will be exposed to a fantastic book, god, Lonesome October is a gift.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
racism is pretty much awful in text form most of the time because either the author feels the need to explain to me what a racist comment is and to make sure I know it's bad or it's, like, someones internal monologue where they just say the n word 40 times or whatever.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Seeing a bunch of people from different cultures get together and yell at each other is illuminating! I'm not saying it's morally right, but it's extremely funny and often great reading when (say) Swedes, Finns, Norwegians and whatever you call people from Iceland start ribbing each other about their weird Nordic quirks and historical vendettas. A northern Italian going off on about the southern Italians is pretty funny if you're not from Italy and don't really have any stakes in the business and it doesn't seem like he'd actively go and kill someone about it.

But when one group gets huge amounts of power and builds up ideologies and institutions of supremacy and commits some major historical atrocities, creating centuries of iniquity and lasting wounds, well, :smith:

e: probably the funniest line in Mad Men was THE KING ORDERED IT which while not racism was certainly derived from a long-lasting intergroup animus

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was one planned in the 70s to jump on the Star Wars craze, there was even plans to turn the set into an amusement park after shooting was complete. Hired Jack Kirby to do all the concept art and everything.

Production ended up getting canceled after the first wave of cash ins bombed. All the preproduction ended up getting used by the CIA. If you've seen Argo its the movie they used to get I to Iran under the pretense of location scouting.

Lmao, I have a button from the amusement park project somewhere. Should see if I can dig it up.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Read the Mobile Suit Gundam Novelization, it's not very good, but It's still got that Tomino weirdness.

Big fan of the pube good luck charm talk that lasted too many pages.

Otherwise I can't tell ifs the writing or translation that C-level, but it's still Tomino kills every to the nth power.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

General Battuta posted:

Seeing a bunch of people from different cultures get together and yell at each other is illuminating! I'm not saying it's morally right, but it's extremely funny and often great reading when (say) Swedes, Finns, Norwegians and whatever you call people from Iceland start ribbing each other about their weird Nordic quirks and historical vendettas. A northern Italian going off on about the southern Italians is pretty funny if you're not from Italy and don't really have any stakes in the business and it doesn't seem like he'd actively go and kill someone about it.

The intra-Nordic ribbing specifically is funny because all actual bad feelings are long since relegated to history, for anyone who isn't mentally ill (and most of those who are). Like, there is nobody alive who was around when the Swedish-Norwegian union was dissolved (and that even happened peacefully). We poke fun at our brothers but we love them.

Groke fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

General Battuta posted:

But when one group gets huge amounts of power and builds up ideologies and institutions of supremacy and commits some major historical atrocities, creating centuries of iniquity and lasting wounds, well, :smith:

e: probably the funniest line in Mad Men was THE KING ORDERED IT which while not racism was certainly derived from a long-lasting intergroup animus

It's a stupid oversimplification but racism is basically Yankees fans vs Red Sox fans. Except that Yankees fans can have Red Sox fans shot or arrested by the cops.