Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mu77ley posted:

And you actually believe that? Looked more like something knocked up in 30 seconds in MS Project to keep the naysayers quiet to me.

Incidentally, unless 2.6 goes to the Avocados today then they've already slipped on their internal schedule less than a week after mak^H^H^Hshowing it.

This timeline is hilarious, given my experience with projects. We have a "short" term project thats like 8 months in scale, its has a ton of milestones and we are scared shitless about a wrench scheduling threw at us that would have to shift the project one week to the right. It would cause a bunch of milestones to fail and we are scrounging up what time we have to move things a bit to the left so that things end up working in the end. We had to brief our boss on everything about it, and eventually we'll have to brief HIS boss about all of it. And then HIS boss has brief his own bosses about everything.

So yeah, meanwhile CIG has something they literally threw up at the last moment to appear transparent that has absolutely no credibility at all, whose boss doesn't give a gently caress about if things dont end up like they are supposed to because they are getting paid regardless. The beauty of crowdfounding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This timeline is hilarious, given my experience with projects. We have a "short" term project thats like 8 months in scale, its has a ton of milestones and we are scared shitless about a wrench scheduling threw at us that would have to shift the project one week to the right. It would cause a bunch of milestones to fail and we are scrounging up what time we have to move things a bit to the left so that things end up working in the end. We had to brief our boss on everything about it, and eventually we'll have to brief HIS boss about all of it. And then HIS boss has brief his own bosses about everything.

So yeah, meanwhile CIG has something they literally threw up at the last moment to appear transparent that has absolutely no credibility at all, whose boss doesn't give a gently caress about if things dont end up like they are supposed to because they are getting paid regardless. The beauty of crowdfounding

The schedule is crap. But as far as I remember CIG mentioned in the announcement that they would revise it weekly if I am not mistaken. The Evocati phase was already busted from day 1. Hopefully we see some fun change today?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why the gently caress are they spending so much time making planets pretty when they can't even get 24 people to inhabit one server and there are ships that people have been waiting years for.

My guess would be that doing planet maps in Cryengine3 is relatively easy compared to fixing the netcode or the flight model. The things "needed" (mechanics, economy, netcode, flight model , optimisation) are hard to leverage for sales, while more eye candy (planets) is easy to do.

If it bring in the same ammount of money, why not pick the easy work ? Cryengine has its origin in foliage and terrain, so why not use it the way it was intended to ? They may have reached the point where they cant "fix" the space part of the game without a complete rewrite due to systemic error and earlier decision (100M poly ships, local gravity grids, etc), so working on the planet part give the illusion of progress to the masses. After all SC is just the financing arm for Crobert masterpiece Heart of Darkness in space SQ42: the movie: the game:prelude:part 1.

Also nice to know the person in charge of titles at CIG is dyslexic.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 25, 2016

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Which will come first, SC true release more or less feature complete compared against the promises specifically made by Chris, or the last book of A Song of Ice and Fire?

neither, SC will eventually release but it will be as a buggy MVP that folds in 6 months, GURM will die of fat before finishing Dream of Spring. Though I suppose the latter is still more likely, another writer could finish the series now that the ending has been discussed with the HBO producers and isn't just in GURMs head, while no publisher will ever pick up whatever SC ends up being and actually finish it properly

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol at 2.6 hitting the PTU on the 28th of this month

its gunna be two months late and still not in closed testing and then "we decided to wrap it into 3.0" will happen

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
My boss would carefully save that timeline into an HD. The biggest one he can find in the storage closet with the fattest toughest cord. And beat the poo poo out of me with it if I ever gave that to him as a "status update".

And he would be right to.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm thinking that they intend to have some form of planetary mission in SQ42 as a setpiece or whatever and thought that devoting an entire studio to it would make sense since they can use it for the PU too. Of course the PU is so hosed up that they cant even release a loving fps module (on an engine made for FPSs!) into a closed test environment after demonstrating that it sort of works in very small controlled environment.

What hope do they have of actually releasing planetoids without the miracle network rework.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ArfJason posted:

Btw this goes for everyone stop following random people through every social media forum yahoo answers credit card apllication because of the epic fail space ship game. Its real weird and somehow makes the jacking it to calendars look less retarded in comparison.

Don't you have 50k posts in fyad?

:irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm still not entirely sure why they didn't just release that timeline on December 8th.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Chalks posted:

I'm still not entirely sure why they didn't just release that timeline on December 8th.

They released it for their biggest sales week of the year. It appears to have worked.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sickening posted:

Don't you have 50k posts in fyad?

:irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony::irony:

yikes!

Chalks posted:

By the holiday stream they'll double down on last years "No more release date" dogma, because all the timeline did was cause grief to the playerbase.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 25, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Chalks posted:

Maximum effect of news cycle on sales week. They still screwed up the evocati phase. But the month is going to be a 5+ mill, so all good.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
By releasing that transparently undoable timeline its really just CIGs way of saying no 2.6 this year. They even felt the need to describe it as "aggressive". Which for CIG means 'gently caress no'.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 25, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi everyone, hope youre all having a light hearted, emotionally balanced day. Just a quick reminder to call or visit your parents and relatives wherever possible, they love and care about you

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi everyone, hope youre all having a light hearted, emotionally balanced day. Just a quick reminder to call or visit your parents and relatives wherever possible, they love and care about you

I saw them yesterday! and I'm gonna watch the florida-FSU game with my dad tomorrow night. H's gonna be stoked about whats going on with 2.6. :) Thanks for the update.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure we're also going to see and hear more about it during the december sale, along with some new sq42 stuffs

its also looking more and more like that internal roadmap is correct

TheAgent posted:

according to my drinking buddy, to hit full release this is the actual internal timetable and not chris's headcanon

sq42
2017 1st episode/preview (10 hours of gameplay/cutscenes)
2018 2nd episode
2019+ complete game

SC
2017/2018 3.0 (with all promised features)
2019 first real pre-alpha release
2020 alpha
2021 beta
2022+ release (final with most features in, not all ships, not all systems, etc)

this is with the current teams and contracted studios

my drinkin friend said they thought the company would need another $175 to $250m in order to continue working until SC is released
lol

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

Maximum effect of news cycle on sales week. They still screwed up the evocati phase. But the month is going to be a 5+ mill, so all good.

"You'll see that the roadmap that we released is entirely accurate for the period of time in the past, it's simply the future predictions that turned out to be incorrect."

Literally failed to meet the roadmap on the same day they released it. That takes some doing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

I went shopping, got a haircut, visit my parents/sisters and I'm currently making GBS threads on star citizen and its still not even mid day over here its been productive :3:

TheLightPurges posted:

By releasing that transparently undoable timeline its really just CIGs way of saying no 2.6 this year. They even felt the need to describe it as "aggressive". Which for CIG means 'gently caress no'.

Someone honestly argued that they dont need to say that 3.0 is delayed because the timeline clearly means its impossible for it to release this year anyways.

CIG are loving geniuses. They can put timeline and people will naturally infer what it means without them actually saying anything.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brownhat posted:

You've got the touch. Hopefully not the happy Alaskan touch.

That's just cold

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I.N.R.I posted:

I'm having a slice of pumpkin pie for breakfast, gently caress the police

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

I.N.R.I posted:

In the time I've responded to your post I diagnosed someone with leukemia and totally owned CIG. Its a good day.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Chalks posted:

"You'll see that the roadmap that we released is entirely accurate for the period of time in the past, it's simply the future predictions that turned out to be incorrect."

Literally failed to meet the roadmap on the same day they released it. That takes some doing.

"Its in the game its just not implemented yet"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

lol at 2.6 hitting the PTU on the 28th of this month

its gunna be two months late and still not in closed testing and then "we decided to wrap it into 3.0" will happen

:agreed:

Also, "all focus now must go to Squadron 42, 3.0 sometime in 2018 stop asking us about it".

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
major sale on the playstation store btw

with a 10% off and my $25 gift from sony I picked up titanfall 2, doom and like 4 others for $75

also my deep sickness for lego dimensions continues as I buy up everything in sight without remorse

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TheLightPurges posted:

My boss would carefully save that timeline into an HD. The biggest one he can find in the storage closet with the fattest toughest cord. And beat the poo poo out of me with it if I ever gave that to him as a "status update".

And he would be right to.

One of my client is a Private school so once the school year is "go" and the whole system is stable they are pretty chill on progress reports but even them (who know very little about IT) would ask for a more detailled deployment timeline.

Either this document is :

A) True and CIG is staffed by incompetent and new hires

or (more likely)

B) Quick job by a marketing intern and is in no way used or referenced internally by the software team.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

aleksendr posted:

One of my client is a Private school so once the school year is "go" and the whole system is stable they are pretty chill on progress reports but even them (who know very little about IT) would ask for a more detailled deployment timeline.

Either this document is :

A) True and CIG is staffed by incompetent and new hires

or (more likely)

B) Quick job by a marketing intern and is in no way used or referenced internally by the software team.

I said this before but the scariest possibility of those two is that the timeline is real and what they are using.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

One of the people I had over for Thanksgiving earnestly believes that CIG is going to drop Star Marine on December 8th because of that timeline. So I guess good for them, they really have cultivated their idiot harvest well.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Chalks posted:

Missing deadlines is the only thing they manage to do consistently.

So much so it's become a virtue in the eyes of the cult.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beet Wagon posted:

One of the people I had over for Thanksgiving earnestly believes that CIG is going to drop Star Marine on December 8th because of that timeline. So I guess good for them, they really have cultivated their idiot harvest well.

Does he know you are one of Satan's minions?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

yo moma are CIG still targeting 2.6 avocados for this week or have they given up already and just want to go home for the weekend?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheLightPurges posted:

Does he know you are one of Satan's minions?

The look on his face yesterday when I told him I was a mod of the SA Star Citizen subforum was p great, but not quite as good as the sound in his voice four months ago when I told him I got a refund in full. I honestly think he might have cried a little.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beet Wagon posted:

The look on his face yesterday when I told him I was a mod of the SA Star Citizen subforum was p great, but not quite as good as the sound in his voice four months ago when I told him I got a refund in full. I honestly think he might have cried a little.

Is he Cymelion?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I see what they're doing , it makes sense

They're going to make 1 of everything in the highest fidelity they can

1 super detailed planet
1 massive capital ship

Etc etc , that will allow them to skirt around the terms of the original Kickstarter and probably drag the whole thing out for another 2 years , with funding remaining steady into 200m

Really it is all they will ever be able to push out , the complex interactivity between all the stuff they want to do will never work, that much we can see from the crude basics they have now and how badly they glitch out

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Oh and Chris's masterpiece will never be finished. He will micromanage it into death about 1 year from now

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheLightPurges posted:

Is he Cymelion?

God I loving hope so.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

sq42
2017 1st episode/preview (10 hours of gameplay/cutscenes)
2018 2nd episode
2019+ complete game

SC
2017/2018 3.0 (with all promised features)
2019 first real pre-alpha release
2020 alpha
2021 beta
2022+ release (final with most features in, not all ships, not all systems, etc)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
PG? Are we talking about Procedural Generation, or Parental Guidance?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fargin Icehole posted:

PG? Are we talking about Procedural Generation, or Parental Guidance?

Or me?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

This part somehow triggered me. Is the "artist" / gamedev / level designer / procgen master moving the rotation / axis of the planet, or are they moving the sun / lightsource?

If that's happening "artistically" how the heck is everything supposed to be proc-gen?

:supaburn:

Those clouds look like Terragen Classic cca. 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

There's PG, then there's PG, then there's PGabz

No offense, but i did not mean PGabz, please don't get angry

• Locked thread