Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't Vivi already in the first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

precision posted:

Paine is Squall if Squall were actually as cool as he Square Enix thinks he is.
Paine is great because she's not the main character in an ~Epic Love Story~. She also obviously cares about the other two right from the beginning, no matter how stoic and badass she is. She's a great addition to the series as a whole and I'd be happy to see more of her, assuming they can bring her back without loving her up somehow.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 8, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Barudak posted:

Squall doesn't think he's cool at all though? Like, he wants to be a big boring follows the rules authority figure and can't pull it off.

Cool Squall should team up with Emo Cloud and Shy Aerith in the next FF spin-off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Wasn't Vivi already in the first one?
Whoops, he was. :v:

Anyway, the moral of all this is that they should make a new Dissidia.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

Whoops, he was. :v:

Anyway, the moral of all this is that they should make a new Dissidia.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/18/dissidia-theatrhythm-designed-introduce-final-fantasy-new-generation-fans/

quote:

“I want to make a new Dissidia, and we intend to do so. The people who’ve worked on the previous titles have also stated their desire to make a new one, too,” says Hazama.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

That article is frustrating in a lot of ways. Dissidia and that rhythm game I've never played but would probably love weren't competing against the numbered FF series, they were competing against XIII. I'm definitely not the younger crowd he's referring to (played Final Fantasy on the NES) but I bought both Dissidia titles and nothing else FF since XII. And then to say Type-0 is selling well when there are no plans to release it here... :argh:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Why in the name of god would any company release a PSP game in America after ~2008?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mr. Maltose posted:

Why in the name of god would any company release a PSP game in America after ~2008?

Make it the next HD title after XII HD.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I would pay any amount of money for a console version of Dissidia, with all the delicious online play and DLC crap that entails. I want a glorious High-Def Dissidia.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A third Dissidia also means they might include Sazh, like they apparently wanted to do for 012.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

A third Dissidia also means they might include Sazh, like they apparently wanted to do for 012.

At this point I doubt you'd get Sazh instead of Noel/Serah or Caius if they gave us another FFXIII character. Caius in particular is basically begging to fill the unused FFXIII villain slot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

At this point I doubt you'd get Sazh instead of Noel/Serah or Caius if they gave us another FFXIII character. Caius in particular is basically begging to fill the unused FFXIII villain slot.
Well on the one hand they might go for parity with 3 characters for every entry in the series, so Lightning, Caius, then Sazh maybe?

But on the other hand iunno who'd they make the third FF3 character and they'd probably want to add a fourth FF7 character. Not to mention they might want to add spin-off characters like Ramza and then it just gets weird.

Honestly I'm happy so long as they add any FF9 character at all.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It'll only get weird if they add that girl from The Spirits Within and the military guy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Have they ever even acknowledged Spirts Within's existence at any point since it was made?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Well on the one hand they might go for parity with 3 characters for every entry in the series, so Lightning, Caius, then Sazh maybe?

But on the other hand iunno who'd they make the third FF3 character and they'd probably want to add a fourth FF7 character. Not to mention they might want to add spin-off characters like Ramza and then it just gets weird.

Honestly I'm happy so long as they add any FF9 character at all.

If it had Ramza and Delita I could die relatively happy. Besides the FF7 universe exists in the same canon as Ivalice, at least according to one sidequest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They'd probably just make Aerith a playable character since her model is already in the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing more playable FFXIII characters, they are sort of what I picture FF characters if this series was a fighting game rather than a JRPG, Snow himself is basically a rival boss from Capcom/Platinum Games in Lightning Returns. On top of that another FF1 character in the style of Warrior of Light would be neat I think, but I'd definitely love to see another FFV (Faris) and FFIX (Vivi) character above all else.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

S-Alpha posted:

She's exactly as cool as a character with crippling self-image problems thinks he is?

No, Squall was the one with abandonment issues. Cloud was the one with self-image issues.

ImpAtom posted:

I dunno; given that they included Laguna of all people in 012 as a new rep for VIII, I could see them tossing Sazh into the mix if Nomura or other people on the team want to see him in it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Because they'd still sell? Way more niche titles than a loving Final Fantasy have been released on the base PSP in Europe and America much, much later than 2008. Like, the most recent release I can think of was last August.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Because they'd still sell? Way more niche titles than a loving Final Fantasy have been released on the base PSP in Europe and America much, much later than 2008. Like, the most recent release I can think of was last August.

The PSP itself had tremendously huge issues with piracy and a smaller install base outside of Japan. The only companies who bothered with it recently are those who release niche titles with a dedicated fanbase anyway. Nobody is going to release a PSP title in 2014. Danganronpa only got a release because it got a Vita port.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Kanfy posted:

Cool Squall should team up with Emo Cloud and Shy Aerith in the next FF spin-off.

Pffft. I'm waiting for an FF spin-off where every character is voiced by John DiMaggio.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Krad posted:

It'll only get weird if they add that girl from The Spirits Within and the military guy.
Doctor Sid confirmed for Dissidia 3 :getin:

Endorph posted:

Have they ever even acknowledged Spirts Within's existence at any point since it was made?
They did a DVD release :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

We actually still have at least one more PSP game coming out here this summer, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC.

As for Dissidia 3, I dunno, Edgar or Celes? Out of the entire FFVI cast, those two probably have the largest range of attacks while still being important to the story. I'd love to say Locke, but he's the thief treasure hunter, so he really doesn't have much outside of his weapon variety.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TARDISman posted:

We actually still have at least one more PSP game coming out here this summer, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC.

As for Dissidia 3, I dunno, Edgar or Celes? Out of the entire FFVI cast, those two probably have the largest range of attacks while still being important to the story. I'd love to say Locke, but he's the thief treasure hunter, so he really doesn't have much outside of his weapon variety.

To be fair, SC isn't a PSP exclusive, and most certainly wouldn't be happening without the PC version.

Also Ramza and Delita for Dissidia 3. Or Auron. Auron is cool.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Balthier.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

To be fair, SC isn't a PSP exclusive, and most certainly wouldn't be happening without the PC version.

Fair point and hell yes on the Ramza, not so sure about Delita. Gotta go with T.G. Cid! :getin:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Balthier rules, but they'd probably go Ashe for a third XII character (assuming they even gave us one).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think they mentioned Balthier was higher on the list than Ashe previously but it could be either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Balthier's made cameos in other stuff, Ashe sort of hasn't.

Besides, Balthier means Gideon Emery.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm just wondering who they'd pick for a XIV representative, if any.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gaius, maybe? Or Nael?

Dissidia needs more villains anyway.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Good King Moogle Mog XII or bust.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

Who are those guys that use gun [insert weapon here], any of them.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Apparently this person.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

For the Light Warriors, sure.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
Oh man, I wonder if anyone out there will do chocobo racing and lightning dodging for hire, transferring your save via transfer of the save to the internet? I'm not that desperate (yet) but the chocobo racing crap is almost enough to put me there. I just suck piloting the drat bird and hitting the balloons in general.

I just plain give up on doing most of that crap until I get no-encounters gear. The butterfly stuff ought to be easy enough. I've done it twice (but I think it might've been the same one? I got two elixirs or ethers for doing the second one). I've looked at the maps from the Japanese guide but it's a little awkward to figure out, it seems like one map is repeated but the information and other stuff on the page is different.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

For those having trouble doing the FFX Chocobo race I recommend these tips:

1. During your run down the hill before the birds, try to run reasonably straight even if it means purposely missing a balloon or two. The key is to try and get ahead of your opponent as soon as possible during this portion. Turning back and forth too much will result in him getting ahead of you. This part is based a lot on luck though. You want to finish this portion with at least 4 balloons and preferably 5-6.

2. Use your opponent as a bird shield as much as possible. This means you want your opponent in front of you during the bird portion of the race even with the sacrifice of him getting some balloons before you. Keep your opponent at a bit of a distance in front of you though if you can. That makes it easier to get balloons and use him as a shield simultaneously. The birds predictably switch between targeting you and your opponent. I forgot the exact pattern because it has been a while but it is easy to identify when you are looking for it (it can also be found online on gamefaqs and other sites). Try to angle yourself so that the birds hit your opponent when it is your turn to be targeted by them. This is not always possible or reliable but nothing in this mini game is.

3. The controls are wonky and turning the Chocobo isn't easy (stating the obvious). Two things really helped me here. First, practice tapping your controls to turn the Chocobo instead of holding down the control. Second, practice the tap method combined with timing your taps efficiently to perform last second turns to grab that balloon or dodge that bird. It is worth running a few rounds strictly to get better at this technique rather than worry about winning. Take advantage of those times when your downhill run for balloons is unlucky by practicing this technique.

The above 3 tips consistently wins me the sun sigil in under an hour even if I have not played the game in years. In one case, I got it in 15 minutes of trying. I have no idea how many times I have beaten this game with the sun sigil since it first came out but it has been a lot. Hope this helps.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 9, 2014

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Syrant posted:

Oh man, I wonder if anyone out there will do chocobo racing and lightning dodging for hire, transferring your save via transfer of the save to the internet? I'm not that desperate (yet) but the chocobo racing crap is almost enough to put me there. I just suck piloting the drat bird and hitting the balloons in general.

I just plain give up on doing most of that crap until I get no-encounters gear. The butterfly stuff ought to be easy enough. I've done it twice (but I think it might've been the same one? I got two elixirs or ethers for doing the second one). I've looked at the maps from the Japanese guide but it's a little awkward to figure out, it seems like one map is repeated but the information and other stuff on the page is different.

You have to run the whole thing (both zones) three times. Each successive attempt changes the layout of the butterflies a bit and adds more red ones to the path.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

W.T. Fits posted:

You have to run the whole thing (both zones) three times. Each successive attempt changes the layout of the butterflies a bit and adds more red ones to the path.

It's actually just once, after getting the airship.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's actually just once, after getting the airship.

I thought you still had to run it the first two times to unlock the third one, it's just that you couldn't unlock the third one until you had the airship. But it's been 10+ years since I last did this, so I could be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

Well in XIV Paladins have a skill called Spirits Within and one particular boss has a skill called "Spirits Without" so maybe...