Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Black Widow makes it clear that she wants to be with Banner, Banner points out that being the Hulk means that there's no kids and white picket fence and normal domestic life in his future, Black Widow counters with how that was never an option for her either (sterility, her past sins and whatnot), she just wants to be with him now in whatever way works for them.

The scene can be read in some bad ways though, which is what people are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alacron posted:

Black Widow makes it clear that she wants to be with Banner, Banner points out that being the Hulk means that there's no kids and white picket fence and normal domestic life in his future, Black Widow counters with how that was never an option for her either (sterility, her past sins and whatnot), she just wants to be with him now in whatever way works for them.

The scene can be read in some bad ways though, which is what people are talking about.

Sorry, does or doesn't she actually says she was sterilized, because otherwise, that is a really weird interpretation to reach.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

e X posted:

Sorry, does or doesn't she actually says she was sterilized, because otherwise, that is a really weird interpretation to reach.

Quote:
"In the Red Room, where I was trained, where I was raised, um, they have a graduation ceremony. They sterilize you. It's efficient. One less thing to worry about. The one thing that might matter more than a mission. Makes everything easier, even killing."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the sterilizing is explicit but it's a bit open if her whole 'I'll never be normal' stuff comes from that or, ya know, the life of killing for money for a corrupt government, still a really stupid thing for a really stupid 'WE GOTTA HAVE ROMANCE' moment

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Alacron posted:

Quote:
"In the Red Room, where I was trained, where I was raised, um, they have a graduation ceremony. They sterilize you. It's efficient. One less thing to worry about. The one thing that might matter more than a mission. Makes everything easier, even killing."

Except the scene as it plays out - it's largely in flashback - doesn't show that procedure. It shows her training, and heavily implies that the actual graduation ceremony involves killing someone. Instead of telling Banner the truth - because she rarely does, being trained not to for so long and being a spy - she tells him something he can empathize with. When she says she's a monster, it's a half-truth.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

What was the other one?

The Magnificent Seven

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lindsay Ellis's next video is going to be about Femininimisms, Part I of two. It's already up for patrons. Pretty good, can't wait for Part II.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheMaestroso posted:

Except the scene as it plays out - it's largely in flashback - doesn't show that procedure. It shows her training, and heavily implies that the actual graduation ceremony involves killing someone. Instead of telling Banner the truth - because she rarely does, being trained not to for so long and being a spy - she tells him something he can empathize with. When she says she's a monster, it's a half-truth.

There's a scene of her being wheeled through hallways tied down to a medical gurney.

It's also constantly inferred that it was not by choice, I have no idea where you all got that part from.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a scene of her being wheeled through hallways tied down to a medical gurney.

I'd have to see it again - it's been a while.

quote:

It's also constantly inferred that it was not by choice, I have no idea where you all got that part from.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Whether it was sterilization or murder, she was forced to do it and had no choice, but that doesn't stop her from feeling like she's not a good person because of it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

I'd have to see it again - it's been a while.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Whether it was sterilization or murder, she was forced to do it and had no choice, but that doesn't stop her from feeling like she's not a good person because of it.

I phrased it as "agreed to", so the op is referring to me. Guess I didn't remember that detail correctly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SF Debris has been doing a multi-part look into the aftermath of Star Wars's initial success and the absolute nightmare that was developing Empire Strikes Back, and how events in the 80s led Lucas to become who he is today.

I knew most of this stuff beforehand, but the way Chuck puts everything together really makes the whole affair of creating the franchise seem like a tragedy of success. It's actually really sad hearing about how the strain, loneliness and death of beloved coworkers had an impact on Empire's development, and how all of it pretty much broke Lucas as a person.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 30, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

true art demands a sacrifice
true art must be fed and kept satiated, lest it lose its patience and destroy us all in a whirlwind of hellish chaos
true art can only be created by murdering the soul of the creator

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 30, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or raping it if you're Jodorowsky.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

Otherwise that was a really good documentary.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you talking about Jodorowsky's Dune?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lindsay Ellis's next video is going to be about Femininimisms, Part I of two. It's already up for patrons. Pretty good, can't wait for Part II.

It was really good. It's a shame what happens to Arcee in the Bay films, on the other hand if Arcee was an actual character in Bayformers, I hate to think what her character would be. She has my favourite design of all the Bayformers, mostly because it's the most discernible.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

DoubleCakes posted:

It was really good. It's a shame what happens to Arcee in the Bay films, on the other hand if Arcee was an actual character in Bayformers, I hate to think what her character would be. She has my favourite design of all the Bayformers, mostly because it's the most discernible.

I've only seen the first Bayformer, but I could not tell any of the robots apart unless they were talking. Also I found the action completely incomprehensible, but Lindsay's already talked about reasons that is.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Semi-Internet-Critic-Related update - Leonard French (your favorite copyright attorney) has taken on the Alex Mauer Vs. Everyone DMCA Overload case and has, as a result, received some very troubling communications from Mauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWjMNVb3sI

This whole thing is just D:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mischalaniouse posted:

I've only seen the first Bayformer, but I could not tell any of the robots apart unless they were talking. Also I found the action completely incomprehensible, but Lindsay's already talked about reasons that is.

She's in Revenge of the Fallen, but goddamn if I even remember her being in it or actually doing anything. ROTF was the last Transformers movie I actually watched, and I still maintain that the first one is actually a decent adventure flick but man I am glad I got burned out on this franchise early. And I was, and still am to an extent a fan of Transformers. Now it's just endless trash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KayTee posted:

Semi-Internet-Critic-Related update - Leonard French (your favorite copyright attorney) has taken on the Alex Mauer Vs. Everyone DMCA Overload case and has, as a result, received some very troubling communications from Mauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWjMNVb3sI

This whole thing is just D:

Christ, the composer is not well, is she? That has to be horrible for everyone.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Yup. The whole thing looks just horrid.

Jim Sterling has officially backed off and is requesting everyone else do the same:

From the Reddit thread:

quote:

Like I said, I'm worried that the harm of covering this will outweigh any good it might do. The whole story is now a mess of death threats, litigation, mental health issues, and harassment.

The cost of becoming further embroiled in that to me, my audience, Mauer, Imagos, and everybody else does not seem worth what little reward there'd be in commentating and, essentially, inviting people to come gawk at a bloodbath.

Perhaps when the whirlwind's died down and/or this makes it to a courtroom, there will be more substantial reason to continue talking about this on my platform. Right now it looks like somebody in a very bad way causing others to be in a very bad way, and it feels... I dunno, it feels wrong to stir the pot further than I did when I talked about the DMCA takedowns.

This is to say nothing of the sexism and transphobia that certain commenters feel they're now allowed to indulge in, which has only severely disappointed me.

As angry as I've been (and continue to be) at Alex Mauer's behavior, I do sincerely hope she gets herself in a good place. Similarly, I hope everyone at Imagos can deal with this problem and move on. I just feel incredibly bad for everyone now.

I'll keep an eye on developments (it's almost impossible to avoid), and I'll cover anything of major import, but at present it's an escalation of existing problems, and I'd be only a spanner in the works if I got involved again right now.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
That was sad. Leonards an awesome dude. Hope everything works out ok.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Baka-nin posted:

So anyway, Kim has just finished there review of Final Fantasy VIII,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVDgbl7OZgs

I held of watching because I don't like waiting for the next part and internet reviewers can be prone to really bad schedule slipping. See you all in a few hours I guess.

Thanks for the link. I took the time to watch these and it was a fun nostalgia trip. It prompted a bunch of weird, specific memories. I remember reading in PSM (it must have been late '98 early '99) there was an interview with someone working on the game (maybe Sakaguchi himself? Although more likely Yoshinori Kitase.) and the interviewee mentioned being inspired by James Cameron, especially in his cinematography. It was the late 90's, Titanic was huge. Love story against the backdrop of earthmoving tragedy. A big twist being a predestination paradox, like in Terminator 1. Makes more sense now than it did then.

fake edit: I found the interview, on an archive site slightly jumbled by OCR.

quote:

NG: Where do you draw inspiration for how you make your games?

Mr. Sakaguchi: The films of James Cameron, especially Terminator and Terminator 2. The whole balance and the storylines are great, and he doesn't use flashy, quick camera cuts. He has the right sense of time as far as camera and angles, and then he tops that off with music. Everything combined just makes those good films. That's what I actually strive to achieve, so [those films are) a constant inspiration for me in my production work.
realedit: cleaned up the quote a bit

Hobo By Design fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 30, 2017

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I'm back at reviewing the Virgin New Adventures Doctor Who books with "The Pit" by Neil Penswick. Did you know they once considered 19th-century poet William Blake as an actual Doctor Who companion? Really glad they didn't. This one is pretty bad, guys.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WampaLord posted:

I think he doesn't need to "grow" as a writer to make a good blockbuster, they're not really known for nuanced in depth writing. But there are good versions of them and bad versions and he's good enough to make good versions.

If you want examples of his writing growth, look to his earlier works or to his indie projects, not Marvel movies. Too many studio demands will limit anyone's "growth."

There are plenty of good blockbusters with nuanced in-depth writing FYI

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

There are plenty of good blockbusters with nuanced in-depth writing FYI

Such as? In my mind blockbuster and nuance are like oil and water.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Off the top of my head the recent Mad Max remake was fairly nuanced in the set up and then also in how the action articulated, but even looking at this list (http://www.amc.com/movie-guide/top-100-blockbusters) it's not as if a majority of them are shallow action/comedy vehicles.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 30, 2017

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

WampaLord posted:

Such as? In my mind blockbuster and nuance are like oil and water.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is an extremely nuanced and exquisite piece of cinematic brilliance (according to some idiots who tweet at Phelous)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't really know the methodology behind that list though so not sure if that applies to definition of blockbuster you might be using.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Off the top of my head the recent Mad Max remake was fairly nuanced in the set up and then also in how the action articulated, but even looking at this list (http://www.amc.com/movie-guide/top-100-blockbusters) it's not as if a majority of them are shallow drum action/comedy vehicles.

I meant blockbuster more in the genre sense, in the post-Jaws sense, not just "any movie that made a lot of money."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

nine-gear crow posted:

She's in Revenge of the Fallen, but goddamn if I even remember her being in it or actually doing anything. ROTF was the last Transformers movie I actually watched, and I still maintain that the first one is actually a decent adventure flick but man I am glad I got burned out on this franchise early. And I was, and still am to an extent a fan of Transformers. Now it's just endless trash.

The first Transformers movie was a fine popcorn flick that simply did not need any sequels. Not that I don't understand why they made 'em anyway.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a weird question, but is there any criticism that defines that as a genre of film? Or is it just big franchise movie series that have so much marketing dumped into them that there's almost like a cultural obligation to see it?

Like a cultural genre by way of marketing budget.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Lemming posted:

The first Transformers movie was a fine popcorn flick that simply did not need any sequels. Not that I don't understand why they made 'em anyway.

I think seeing transformers the year I graduated high school was my first adult moment of revulsion for insanely lecherous camera work and weird military coup fantasies. So in a lot of ways I have it to thank for not getting tricked into seeing the rest.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

WampaLord posted:

I meant blockbuster more in the genre sense, in the post-Jaws sense, not just "any movie that made a lot of money."

Spielberg basically invented the blockbuster, and his films were largely savvy, thoughtful, and heartfelt well through the 90s. Titanic, Skyfall, The Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, several of the Harry Potter films, and if you're willing to bend a little on the definition, most of the Pixar films.

Nuance isn't as anathema to a blockbuster as it feels.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Todd has a new summertime OHW out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlguJc9veZo

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If The Wrath of Khan were released in 2011, nerds would still not be done whining about how "pretentious" it was

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Transformers movies have become so divorced from the original concept and its appeal that I just have no idea who they're trying to market towards anymore. They've just become their own formless anomaly that exists, makes money, and then goes away to be forgotten for another couple years. They're not even fun as mindless action movies.

TMNT 2? Now that was A+ quality schlock. I was cracking up the entire time. It's got ninja turtles fighting bad guys, a ridiculous plot, absurd cartoon slapstick with the CGI rhino and pig. It was an insane fever dream of an action movie that I couldn't believe I was watching and was complete garbage but by god did I have a good time. Some of the funny parts were even intentionally funny!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEwRZ0PziA

For gently caress's sake. Discourse between Boogie and Anita at Vidcon turns into a lynch mob, as usual, despite Boogie telling people to specifically not do that.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZWMTGF1pNw

Kyle did a crossover "Shakespeare Needs More" with Rantasmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

The Transformers movies have become so divorced from the original concept and its appeal that I just have no idea who they're trying to market towards anymore. They've just become their own formless anomaly that exists, makes money, and then goes away to be forgotten for another couple years. They're not even fun as mindless action movies.

It's not exactly rocket science, though? The first one was promoted from a place of nostalgia, and made a ton of money. Another one comes out, because people liked the last one, which made it earn more money than God, so another one is made, people like it, makes a lot of money, so another is made, etc.

It's only finally winding down because there's a limit on anything, naturally.

"Mindless fun action films" is the best way to describe the franchise. It's a franchise you know you and your friends are gonna see and enjoy. poo poo, can you think of a better series of summer blockbusters that better identifies someone as a fun-hater for grumbling about them?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 30, 2017

• Locked thread