Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

El Golden Goose posted:

EG plays pretty well but the drafts... they really need some help on that front. Bring ppd back and give cr1t a drafting bootcamp or something

EG drafts as a team mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Riki is like literally in every single solo queue game now thanks Kiev Major

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
EG is going out in the first round to ex-DC for sure. I wonder who leaves when that happens.

Also a Wings-OG matchup might have been nice if Wings wasn't playing like trash.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They were kinda struggling for a while but the mess with their organization and need to get cut off to become Team Random probably killed any remaining morale.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I will miss the wings gaming, but wouldn't be surprised if somebody there lands at IG or wherever Burning goes next.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Virtus Pro being seeded so high blows my mind. Blast from the past.

IG.V is close to what I'd predict though. They're probably top tier when they face chinese teams, but they seem slow to adapt to western styles of play.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Reminder that the best player in the world isn't at Kiev

https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyMistyPhoneHeyGuys

mikeraskol posted:

EG is going out in the first round to ex-DC for sure. I wonder who leaves when that happens.

Also a Wings-OG matchup might have been nice if Wings wasn't playing like trash.

Wings might be 1-3 but they've been playing well even in their losses. Only team to give VP a run for their money. I just think they are back to their extremely swingy games they had a year ago where they would win one tournament and then finish last in the next.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Riki is like literally in every single solo queue game now thanks Kiev Major

i know i'm spamming him a lot :q:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Kainser posted:

Reminder that the best player in the world isn't at Kiev

https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyMistyPhoneHeyGuys

I don't get it, is bamboe playing the pudge or something?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I didn't even realize that the major was happening until last night, has anything interesting happened?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

funmanguy posted:

I don't get it, is bamboe playing the pudge or something?

That is BSJ GOD how dare u

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

I didn't even realize that the major was happening until last night, has anything interesting happened?

Everyone buys midas. Team Secret is somehow undefeated. Thats about it

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Elyv posted:

iG is very very good.

Somehow, Secret is better.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
NIP/Effect game 2 is the worst "professional" Dota that I have ever seen (actually that game where ROTK drafted five melee heroes was worse). It's also some of the most hilarious ratting that I've ever seen.

Like for some reason chasing a fleeing SF cost NIP both their Razor and their Dark Seer, and their Monkey King died somewhere when I wasn't looking, and the other two were dead when the battle began so the end result was an effective team wipe, so Effect sends a lone Earth Spirit to knock on a 5HP barracks, which draws a buyback from Razor.

I don't think an old Fnatic reunion is happening anytime soon unless OG decides to start playing in low prizepool online tourneys or something without a direct invite.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

is this stage a BO1?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Looke posted:

is this stage a BO1?

everything in Kiev from now is a bo3 until the bo5 grand final

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah its BO3 but its single elim just like Boston, so if someone loses then they're completely out.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Martian Manfucker posted:

where are vods being posted that aren't twitch replays

https://www.reddit.com/r/dotavods usually has links for both twitch and youtube and is spoilerino free

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
TI7 should have a round robin group stage and then a double elim bracket with the grand finals staying bo3 but losers has to win twice to win the tournament. The typical TI bracket favors the losing team and gives almost no advantage to the team on the winner's side of the bracket. This is dumb and bad for competition.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

TI7 should have a round robin group stage and then a double elim bracket with the grand finals staying bo3 but losers has to win twice to win the tournament. The typical TI bracket favors the losing team and gives almost no advantage to the team on the winner's side of the bracket. This is dumb and bad for competition.

Fuckin ewwwww

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Why?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Aside from the indeterminate length final?

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 26, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

That works fine for online but not for a time limited venue in an area that may also have a curfew for events like this.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Because that works in fighting games where the length of the match is, max, less than 5 minutes. It does not work in a game where a match can take anywhere from 20 - 120 minutes.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Aside from the indeterminate length final?

How is it significantly different from a bo5? That might be over in 3 games or 5 games. This way it might be over in 2 games or 6 games. It's not really a significantly larger increase compared to what grand finals looks like nowadays. The spread is slightly larger but not by a massive amount.

EDIT: Y'all seem like you're seriously exaggerating the increase in time you'd get from an increase of at most a single game. It's not that hard at all to budget an additional hour for an additional game.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 26, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

How is it significantly different from a bo5? That might be over in 3 games or 5 games. This way it might be over in 2 games or 6 games. It's not really a significantly larger increase compared to what grand finals looks like nowadays. The spread is slightly larger but not by a massive amount.

EDIT: Y'all seem like you're seriously exaggerating the increase in time you'd get from an increase of at most a single game. It's not that hard at all to budget an additional hour for an additional game.

yeah I definitely have been reading you wrong...your saying two best of threes for the final?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

They can't bank on that random assumption, though, and key arena would kick them out eventually.
I guess they might impose an arbitrary cutoff...like five games...

What? On what random assumption? You know for a fact that a double bo3 is at most a single game longer than a bo5. That isn't a huge increase and certainly it wouldn't cause Key Arena to kick them out. You are aware that Valve budgets approximately one hour for each game as it stands, right? The one hour difference is certainly not going to get them kicked out. Valve rents Key Arena for days not hours; they really don't give a gently caress about how long they stay as long as they don't break any city laws (hint: they will not because they aren't staying until like eleven or midnight and Seattle isn't going to care if it's before then).

EDIT: Yeah, two bo3s. It works better for advantaging the team from winners instead of losers which makes way more sense in terms of competition.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

The typical TI bracket favors the losing team and gives almost no advantage to the team on the winner's side of the bracket. This is dumb and bad for competition.

The single elim losers bracket is pretty intense. If you win your first match you don't have to play as many games/opponents to win. That's an advantage, right?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The winner bracket team already has the advantage of not having to play two series on the grand final day. I've heard the "making the loser have to win two bo3s to win the tournament" before and I still think it sounds like complete garbage from a viewer perspective.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
TI1: Upper bracket won
TI2: Lower bracket won
TI3: Upper bracket won
TI4: Upper bracket won
TI5: Lower bracket won
TI6: Upper bracket won

"Favors the losing team."

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

The single elim losers bracket is pretty intense. If you win your first match you don't have to play as many games/opponents to win. That's an advantage, right?

No, playing more games is actually an advantage for the team in losers. It means they get more experience playing against top tier teams in the tournament. In terms of prize money, winners is def favored but in terms of probability to win losers is probably favored assuming both are of roughly equal skill. Additionally, losers gets to have guaranteed prep for Grand Finals whereas winners can't guarantee prep for the team coming from losers. Think about how EG got to prep out really hard against CDEC at ti5 but CDEC didn't know who they were playing do they couldn't really do the same thing. By switching the format to a double bo3, you give some advantage back to the team coming from winners.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
a $10m grand final with a runtime shorter than A New Hope sounds not every enjoyable, in this troper's opinion

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
One of the problems with having a double BO3 for the GF games is if the winners bracket team is dominant the whole tournament will likely end on an underwhelming 2-0 BO3. The last 3 TIs have at least ended 3-1. It seems very rare for a team to ever win a BO5 3-0.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sampatrick posted:

No, playing more games is actually an advantage for the team in losers. It means they get more experience playing against top tier teams in the tournament. In terms of prize money, winners is def favored but in terms of probability to win losers is probably favored assuming both are of roughly equal skill. Additionally, losers gets to have guaranteed prep for Grand Finals whereas winners can't guarantee prep for the team coming from losers.

Newbee played just two matches to enter the TI4 grand final on the first day of the main event, and went two days without competition before facing Vici, who played nearly the whole gauntlet. They smoked Vici in anti-climactic fashion.

(I get where he's coming from, it's the same sort of opinion as the sports fan that says that playoffs are bad because sometimes a less deserving team wins the World Series, so all we need to do is remove them and expand the regular season to 200 games and have one series between the teams with the two highest winning percentages. These people are usually more concerned about making sure the people most deserving of being called "the best" win that they forget that this is supposed to be an exciting spectator event.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 26, 2017

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
TI7 finals should be a BO7 (duh), plus formalwear and bikini rounds

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

i too want to stay at the key arena for a million hours

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Majuju posted:

bEEkEEnEE rounds

A man can dream...

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I don't think that balance of Grand Finals matters when one team is clearly the best team at the tournament. If you have a tier 0 team and some tier 1 teams, the tier 0 team will win almost all the time. I'm mostly concerned where you have several tier 1 teams that are close to evenly matched. At TI3, Na'Vi almost beat Alliance and I think a lot of that is because Na'Vi had the time to prep for Alliance but Alliance couldn't do the same. I think in situations like that the team from winners should get some advantage to make up for that.

Also, TI4 was boring as gently caress as a bo5 anyway so a dominant team will be boring in grand finals anyway most of the time. Also, a single game isn't as bad as y'all think. I also think it's better from a spectator point of view. Game five can be super exciting for a bo5, but with a double bo3 you can get a super excited game three and also a super exciting game six. If you've ever watched a fgc tournament, you'll know what I'm talking about. Double elimination grand finals actually increase the hype by a ton imo.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 26, 2017

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

Also, a single game isn't as bad as y'all think.

Fwiw, I think a few of us thought you meant they had to win two sequential games to win. Hadn't heard of the double Bo3 myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Oh good time for bracket reset discussion. In a FG tourney a bracket reset makes sense. In a game like Dota 2 or CS:GO it's a bit trickier. Given how grueling a Dota 2 match can be, your upper bracket advantage should be more rest, prep and scout time of your opponents. Simply playing a Bo3 (LB final) and then a Bo5 grand final is huge in terms of mental stamina for the team coming up from the LB. I used to want a 1 map advantage to UB team but I've since changed my opinion now that the scheduling of double elim valve tourneys have stabilized after that awful Newbee TI win.

• Locked thread