Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Hell yeah! If any of you guys are from Portland (or NYC I guess) and have had Pok Pok wings, this is the stuff they recommend using if you make em at home. We've done a few batches and they're pretty drat good. Not as good as the real deal, but still very very good.

Uh can you give us the recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2013/10/1/make-pok-poks-famous-wings-at-home-october-2013

The only modification we've done is to add a tiny bit of cornstarch slurry (like maybe half a teaspoon, if not less) to the first batch of wings to be glazed, just to help it thicken up a bit easier. After the first batch it seems like there's enough starch left over in the wok for the rest to glaze nicely. Could be different for you, but if you notice the first round of glazing doesn't go great, that's how we fixed it.

The salty fried garlic is kind of awesome to nibble at while you're cooking everything.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Feb 7, 2018

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Then why have it in the first place? :v:

Anker SoundBuds Slim Wireless Headphones because these expensive-rear end Powerbeats 3 keep losing a charge after 40 minutes of use.

These are extremely good & I think you'll be very happy with them. The combo of quality, pricepoint and brand support just can't be beat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thanks. I need something when out & about so hopefully these can withstand the Pacific Northwest wet winters.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thanks. I need something when out & about so hopefully these can withstand the Pacific Northwest wet winters.

I've used them every day for a ehile now and usually get 6+ hours out of them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Anker SoundBuds Slim Wireless Headphones because these expensive-rear end Powerbeats 3 keep losing a charge after 40 minutes of use.

:hfive:

+1 on the Anker purchase train, bought some solar cells for a weeklong backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon I've got coming up:

Also bought some tyvek to chuck under my bivy, but that's less exciting.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I just bought these because they're $25 and my over-ear headphones get too hot in the summer.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
never again will i use a bivy, it was like being in a bodybag.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

LifeSunDeath posted:

They make some really nice ones now that are more of a micro tent that are self supported and don't suffocate you. I'd still rather Tarp/bugnet over a bivy because I usually camp in warm weather, but they've come a long way.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got so used to using a bivy for Oregon winters that I don’t think of ditching it in the summer.

OSU_Matthew posted:

:hfive:

+1 on the Anker purchase train, bought some solar cells for a weeklong backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon I've got coming up:

Also bought some tyvek to chuck under my bivy, but that's less exciting.
You’re going to enjoy that purchase. Used it on my hike around Mr. Hood & was able to shitpost on Something Awful all weekend. Bonus points for the carabiner holes to lash it to your pack while hiking around.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
A bigger, heavier, 24" snow pusher shovel.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I have these. I like them.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

LifeSunDeath posted:

Usually I'm a hammock guy, but between the lack of trees and probably needing to carry two gallons of water, <1lb pound shelter it is.

Plus, that's a great point--it's a bonus body bag in case I do run out of water! I just need to paint the footbox green so I can one day be a landmark :q:

On a much more morbid note how do we not have a smilie for green boots?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Makenoise 0-coast

"im not bankrupt! im not bankrupt !!", i continue to insist as i slowly buy my first modular synth and disappear into a robot fart

My good friend bought this last year and it was a gateway into very expensive modular land. Good luck!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

LifeSunDeath posted:

We call our friend's the 'terror coffin' after he woke up once trying to claw his way out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

taqueso posted:

We call our friend's the 'terror coffin' after he woke up once trying to claw his way out.

i woke up screaming and rolled off my airpad in mine cause i had a dream a boar stabbed me through the thing and i was trapped.

trying to take your pants off inside was like playing body horror origami.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Makenoise 0-coast

"im not bankrupt! im not bankrupt !!", i continue to insist as i slowly buy my first modular synth and disappear into a robot fart

The ghost of Christmas Past is here to show you the future...

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Sounds like you all should not go hiking if you are prone to waking up screaming and panicked.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One hiking trip my friend was in his bivy and rolled round enough that night that he almost suffocated himself while sleeping. He woke up in a panic and scared the poo poo out of the rest of us.

Yeah bivy's are only really good if the weather is inclimate & you don't want to pack a tent.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Aramek posted:

Sounds like you all should not go hiking if you are prone to waking up screaming and panicked.

have you ever used a bivy? i thought it would be fun, it is not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We call them bear burritos for a reason :v:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

have you ever used a bivy? i thought it would be fun, it is not.

Closest we got in scouts was one of those super lovely white cord hammocks, with sleeping bags we entombed ourselves in. Was still stupid cold.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Now that they make light 1-person single wall tents and good tarp/hammock systems, a bivy seems pointless for non big wall climbing things. The owner of the terror coffin uses a tent now btw.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Aramek posted:

Closest we got in scouts was one of those super lovely white cord hammocks, with sleeping bags we entombed ourselves in. Was still stupid cold.

/Derail

That's because the air underneath acts like a heat sink and sucks all of your body heat away since there's no loft in the bag compressed underneath you--an underquilt or foam pad would do the trick :eng101:

Slightly related content, bought a bunch of The Foxfire Books:

They're extremely fascinating, basically a bunch of schoolkids in the sixties did hundreds of interviews with the last surviving members of the pre-electricity, pre modernization generation in Appalachia, and detail everything from how to plant, harvest, and preserve crops, to making moonshine, log cabins, and banjos. Its a slice of life for one that doesn't hardly exist anymore

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

PFFlyers.png

I’ve considered those. They’re pretty sick. How is the width?

Not quite as narrow as Chucks, but still not super forgiving for my wide-rear end hobbit feet. They broke in enough that they don't bother me, but my next pair I'll probably get a half size larger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Google Play is having a sale on TV shows so I bought the complete series of Six Feet Under, Justified, and the available seasons of Vikings, The Americans, and Homeland. I forgot that I hated Homeland.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Google Play is having a sale on TV shows so I bought the complete series of Six Feet Under, Justified, and the available seasons of Vikings, The Americans, and Homeland. I forgot that I hated Homeland.

When you buy episodes like this do you get the files to download to your computer? Or just access to stream them on demand?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
One of my coworkers sent me some coffee beans from Hawaii and I just realized I lost my coffee grinder, so I went out and bought a new one. And drat this coffee is good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can download them to your iPad or iPhone/Android, but for the desktop I just watch them through Youtube. For some reason I can't do 1080p when I try to watch it on the Play Store.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

fyallm posted:

One of my coworkers sent me some coffee beans from Hawaii and I just realized I lost my coffee grinder, so I went out and bought a new one. And drat this coffee is good.

I recommend http://greenwellfarms.com and https://mauicoffeeroasters.com/ as a decent gateway. I'll let you discover the $80/lb stuff in your own.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just bought Scrivener for iPad and Windows and it is extremely good. Extremely extremely good. I thought OneNote was going to be my preferred project organization software, but Scrivener is doing it for me in ways that OneNote doesn't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to be supervised on Kickstarter.

Custom dice for our campaign

Tabletop tokens for maps

Tiny dice and holder for my daughter

Ridiculous dice-and-mini holder with pencil and dice

And a couple of other non-gaming ones too.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Feb 9, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wyrmwood makes quality stuff but they're CEO is a total walking turd. Wanted to get one of their leather mats at Gencon but after having an interaction with him and seeing him yell at an employee I said gently caress that.

Speaking of Kickstarter, I'm picking up Xia, a ridiculous open world space adventure board game. Want to trade and sell goods and smuggle? Be a bounty hunter or pirate and steal others' goods? Pretend you're the Serenity? All kinds of silly fun. It comes with player boards that actually show the layout of your ship so you have to be able to fit all of your equipment and goods on board, so outfitting and customizing your ship is like 90% of the appeal for me.

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Feb 9, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bottom Liner posted:

Wyrmwood makes quality stuff but they're CEO is a total walking turd. Wanted to get one of their leather mats at Gencon but after having an interaction with him and seeing him yell at an employee I said gently caress that.

Speaking of Kickstarter, I'm picking up Xia, a ridiculous open world space adventure board game.

Aw man, that sucks. I think I can handle "jerk" as long as it's not "evil", but maybe I'll unback.

Xia sounds pretty cool. Did you get the first one?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No, but this is a reprint of the base game and expansion as well as a mini expansion. It's much more of a long experience generator than a serious strategy game. Lot's of dice rolling, though the expansion objectives go a long way to remove some of the randomness from the victory point allocation. I messed around with it on TTS and liked it enough.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/468737/Tabletop_Simulator__Xia_Legends_of_a_Drift_System/

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of Kickstarter, I'm picking up Xia, a ridiculous open world space adventure board game. Want to trade and sell goods and smuggle? Be a bounty hunter or pirate and steal others' goods? Pretend you're the Serenity? All kinds of silly fun. It comes with player boards that actually show the layout of your ship so you have to be able to fit all of your equipment and goods on board, so outfitting and customizing your ship is like 90% of the appeal for me.

Huh. It's like FTL the board game. I'm not normally a big fan of board games but this sounds neat.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I had no idea they were that big too. Must be doing fairly well, but between being pretty expensive and lovely CEO I will continue sticking to my basically-free 3d printed boxes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NewFatMike posted:

I just bought Scrivener for iPad and Windows and it is extremely good. Extremely extremely good. I thought OneNote was going to be my preferred project organization software, but Scrivener is doing it for me in ways that OneNote doesn't.

I've been using Scrivener for years on both Mac and PC and it's that rare piece of software that only seems to get better.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It may not be a $1000 stereo for :10bux:, but I feel like I won the thrift store today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:stwoon: