Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

On the Untended Graves I'm pretty sure what's going on is that they're both in the past but the future too, sort of. Specifically they're a result of the timeline fuckery that Ludleth caused when he did his thing. The two versions of Firelink are two different timelines, one in which Yoel, Andre and the Firekeeper are long dead because they all arrived too early and the Champion arrived too late, and one in which everyone arrived at the right time to link the First Flame once more and an Unkindled showed up to collect the Lords instead of a Champion to join their ranks. The Handmaiden is just straight up immortal, and remembers you because from her point of view Untended Graves is the past, even though it's an alternate present because she experiences Ludleth's linking chronologically even though it's actually rewriting reality/the past. Gundyr and Ludleth also have this unique perspective thus Gundyr judges all who meet him by comparing them to the one who originally bested him. Explaining why only you pass the test, because Gundyr knows you have to pass it, maybe.

This doesn't explain the fact that it seems to by inside the Abyss, but perhaps in re-writing reality Ludleth forced the original timeline into the Abyss so that it can still exist and exert influence without really being there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Do I need to git gud a little more, or are slow weapons not very useful in PVE?

Enemies are so fast, and a lot of enemies have poise and armor, so the big slow weapons just lead to me being punished a lot.

Even the Butcher's Knife, which I would not consider to be a slow weapon, most of the time I could only get one or maybe two hits off of most boss's attack cycles. It took forever.

I want to do a runthrough that isn't another goddamn straight sword but it seems to be so much harder for no benefit.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

I'm actually wondering what to do with my Dragon Scales. The boss weapons seem so underwhelming. I don't have the Str (and don't plan on changing that with a reskill) for many, a lot are plain Greatswords with a little twist but I'm getting sick of Greatswords, some I didn't get because I wanted a spell instead, and one is a Bow which might be fine on my build but I will very probably regret it because lol split damage and the Arrows can only be bought NOW and won't be able to be bought for a while in NG+. Any recommendations of stuff I'm overlooking?

Shield of Want is a really good standard shield that upgrades off scales.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

RyokoTK posted:

Enemies are so fast, and a lot of enemies have poise and armor, so the big slow weapons just lead to me being punished a lot.

Even the Butcher's Knife, which I would not consider to be a slow weapon, most of the time I could only get one or maybe two hits off of most boss's attack cycles. It took forever.

I want to do a runthrough that isn't another goddamn straight sword but it seems to be so much harder for no benefit.

Slow weapons like greatswords seem to shine a lot more in pvp. People slate the dark sword a lot, but greatswords are bigger bastards I find.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Random Hajile posted:

It's my personal favorite, especially with the bonus soul gain it has. It looks good too.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

with regular weapons you'll usually have a range advantage. watching your spacing and most enemies will just walk into a big swing and get staggered (death sentence)

with the bosses i still usually just go ham and get right in their faces. a lot of their weapon arcs just kinda fly over you

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Slow weapons like greatswords seem to shine a lot more in pvp. People slate the dark sword a lot, but greatswords are bigger bastards I find.

I just finished putting together a +10 Chaos Astora GS and I can't wait to try it out on the next invader :unsmigghh:

I'm so used to rear end/Estoc/Halberd that I'm not used to only like 2 slow swings per bar. I might not be statted right for real PvP with this thing...

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

RBA Starblade posted:

It's my personal favorite, especially with the bonus soul gain it has. It looks good too.

And it's the King's Shield from DS2.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

VulgarandStupid posted:

"Time for finger
Then try tongue"

I've lost track of how many:

"Try finger
but hole"

messages ive seen

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I think halberds are better than straight swords, rapiers, and all the other weapons ppl say are good.

Any halberd in particular? I want to move away from my hilariously unoptimized estoc that I've used so far. Had good pve success with a flamberge, but I'll play around with a bunch of stuff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RyokoTK posted:

East West Shield (2.0 Weight normal shield, you find it outside firelink), at least, is a great back pocket utility for making rats, thralls, and assorted "weak fast" enemies bounce right off you.

Small shields, even when they have better stats, don't actually deflect all of the attacks from such enemies, not giving you the breathing room for a free one shot kill before they interrupt you.

The big lunging bite from rats for example, isn't deflected by the 2.5 weight Golden Falcon shield, 3.0 weight Llewellyn shield. But IS deflected by the otherwise lame-o East West shield. If you are surrounded by rats interrupting your bigger weapon attacks, you don't want to worry about if they use the attack that won't recoil when you block hoping for enough breathing room to flatten them.

Obviously there are better shields, but the East West shield is the lightest one guaranteed to cause deflection on the prime offenders of "Oh my god these Dogs and Rats are such bullshit for my FUGS build :saddowns:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 5, 2016

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Any halberd in particular? I want to move away from my hilariously unoptimized estoc that I've used so far. Had good pve success with a flamberge, but I'll play around with a bunch of stuff.

Black Knight Glaive and Gundyrs Halberd are particularly godlike

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Internet Kraken posted:

Clearly you've never invaded someone and seen them summon a mad phantom in a panic.
When I get invaded, I tend to grab a purple sign if I see one. They'll either team up against me, team up with me, or flop onto the ground in the middle of the fight.
Purple bros forever.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

Alright so my build has turned into 50str/30end/30vit/30vig, everything else is 20 or less.

Lately I've had a lot of fun with the FKUGS at +5 - the R1+R1 combo that does an overhead smash then follows with a driving uppercut really catches people off guard and goes through shields. Watching people try to block while I have the Knight Slayer's ring equipped is pretty fun. :v:

What are the best consensus top-tier weapons for a strength build? So far I've been using FKUGS +5, Butcher's Blade +10, Dragonslayer's Greataxe +3, Vordt's Hammer +3, Astora Greatsword +8. So far I like the FKUGS and Butcher's the best.

anyone?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I just finished putting together a +10 Chaos Astora GS and I can't wait to try it out on the next invader :unsmigghh:

I'm so used to rear end/Estoc/Halberd that I'm not used to only like 2 slow swings per bar. I might not be statted right for real PvP with this thing...
If you have enough stamina for 2 swings + a bit extra then you should be fine, tbh. You usually won't hit someone more than twice in a row anyway, and you can use the extra bit for a roll punish or for getting some distance.

Ravenfood posted:

There's very few "unoptimized" weapons in this game, and the Estoc is definitely not one of them. ;)

As far as halberds go, I think they're all pretty competitive. The pokey ones pair pretty well with a good shield, while the choppy halberds have some decent hyper-armor frames on them when used two-handed, which can prevent you from being staggered.

The Black Knight Halberd is probably the best though, but you can't really get it until the end-game. (Although I think you can do the dancer/swordmaster glitch to get it early?)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

have you tried a heavy +10 estoc, friend

how about a heavy +10 dark sword

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Nobody advise the ganker

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I like yhorm's great machette

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

RabidWeasel posted:

Poison is terrible.

I think that bleed infused weapons are viable but hollow infused natural bleed weapons are basically better so you might as well use those.

The luck scaling is pretty weak but the stat scaling is only very slightly reduced; the luck scaling is in no way equal to str/dex scaling, IIRC I was getting 1 or 2 points more damage for every point of luck up to 40. You get a small base damage reduction which carries through to the str/dex scaling. Some (maybe all?) weapons actually gain str/dex scaling when hollow infused, though only a little. You need to increase str and/or dex to get decent damage; the luck is just a bit of extra damage on top, and when you consider base stats and the +10 luck from having 2 hollow infused weapons equipped it's still pretty good value.

Carthus Rouge is a gigantic damage buff so use it.

Awesome - thanks! The information available at the point I made that post was minimal. There are 2 or 3 YT videos detailing a few hollow/luck/bleed builds; I definitely want to give that a try. And I'm glad that poison is just terrible no matter what, because I had been disgusted by the lack of proc, and thought that it's utterly ridiculous to have the ability to poison affected by luck. Like, what - I ended up with the baking powder box instead of the rat poison? That's bad luck. Shooting 40 arrows in succession into something big that is susceptible to poison to no effect isn't unlucky; it's ridiculous.

And I still can't get an autosummon as a DMB, a Watchdog, Aldritch Faithful, or Blue Sentinel. I figured at level 100 I'd surely get hits from the Grand Archives / Lothric Castle area...nope. Nothing. No problems invading, summoning others, or being summoned via soapstone. I know others are experiencing the same thing (I'm on PC), and I am wondering if I need to open up some ports on the router. I can't think of anything else I can do, unless it's just plain not working.

So, I guess I'll just go to NG+ after I farm up enough souls to upgrade just a few more things...I had the boring experience of farming about 6 million souls yesterday to buy dragonscale, twinkling, and chunk titanite. I'm doing it on this first character so I don't have to do it on others; and after NG I'll never have to do it again. Thank Christ you don't have to upgrade armor anymore.

By the way, the Storm Sword from the Nameless King (not Yhorm) is TERRIBLE.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Exodee posted:

The Black Knight Halberd is probably the best though, but you can't really get it until the end-game. (Although I think you can do the dancer/swordmaster glitch to get it early?)

You absolutely can. The Consumed King is kind of a chump if you stick to his rear legs and play it carefully and you don't have to beat Champion Gundyr to grab it, just run straight for the glowy item once you enter his arena.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RyokoTK posted:

You probably just need to level up more. Great swords in PvP become ridiculous when you have some HP to absorb some hits so you can straight up hyper armor tank and hit someone with your much bigger weapon.

The straight swords is annoying as gently caress in ganks cause it is relentless, but great sword users with high endurance are even worse since they get to stagger on one hit too.

Nobody fears the solo straight swords until you fight one who knows how to use it (l1 l1 r2 with the astora or lodric Knight)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My second playthrough is basically a victory lap after the tough time I had with my first run. Sorcery, mound-building, summoning for literally every boss fight no matter how trivial - I plan on summoning three phantoms for Deacons because I can. Going to use MLG eventually for nostalgia purposes. I don't care if boss weapons suck, I want to co-op with peeps and shoot lasers.

Early game weapon recommendations for int builds? I planned on just raw-infusing my longsword and using magic weapon on it until I pick up something cool. Probably going to use Sword of Judgement eventually, too.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

I like yhorm's great machette

Yeah I was thinking about this as my next weapon to build up. I love it's smashy-smash-smash R2 when it's 2handed, and I think the scaling is pretty good on it.

For anyone else, the Butcher's Knife +10 and the FKUGS +5 both receive an S scaling with strength, so they're both good options for strength builds.

Rafza posted:

have you tried a heavy +10 estoc, friend

how about a heavy +10 dark sword

I've only tried heavy on my Astora Greatsword, never on a short sword. Maybe I should give it a shot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rascyc posted:

You probably just need to level up more. Great swords in PvP become ridiculous when you have some HP to absorb some hits so you can straight up hyper armor tank and hit someone with your much bigger weapon.

The straight swords is annoying as gently caress in ganks cause it is relentless, but great sword users with high endurance are even worse since they get to stagger on one hit too.

Nobody fears the solo straight swords until you fight one who knows how to use it (l1 l1 r2 with the astora or lodric Knight)

I said PVE, dude.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Random Hajile posted:

You absolutely can. The Consumed King is kind of a chump if you stick to his rear legs and play it carefully and you don't have to beat Champion Gundyr to grab it, just run straight for the glowy item once you enter his arena.
I wasn't entirely sure if the area would be locked off like the Archives are, but that's actually really cool.

Come to think of it, the swordmaster has a summon sign for the champ too, so you can even get Gundyr's Halberd (and the stuff beyond him) early.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RyokoTK posted:

I said PVE, dude.
Oh sorry, and I was actually thinking UGS not GS. If we are talking great swords then the hollowslayer, Firelink, claymore, and dark Knight are all fun and good. The Firelink has an absurd PvE special. With the dark Knight if you ever get in trouble just use its special for the instant poise/DR and attack back. Hollowslayer and Claymore are just good all rounder with good movesets.

Anyway use the stabs more than the swings and just get better with the spacing/timing so you hit enemies as they are swinging at you (or just block and counter). You are gonna do less DPS on bosses though cause they occupy a spot between straight swords and gigantic rear end weapons.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Simply Simon posted:

I'll look into Bleed weapons, then. Maybe my first Dagger playthrough with the Bandit's Knife? I'll just put Hollow stones into a few things before transitioning to NG+, got a whole slew of Infusions and other poo poo to do anyway.

Hollow / Bleed builds are basically just 'improved' versions of a regular damage build on a bleed weapons. The luck scaling is poor so you're investing those stats mostly into improved bleeding, for actual damage you need regular scaling from str/dex. I personally can't find a bleed weapon I like more than the Carthus Curved Sword, it was one of my favourite weapons anyway on the back of its excellent 2hand moveset and range, and it's well suited to a Hollow infusion.

The only 'pure' luck build weapon is Anri's, due to the mega luck scaling.

mastershakeman posted:

warden twinsword thoughts: boy these have much shorter range than a straight sword , also much lower damage than anris
That's OK I'll just hit more with them
*swings a half dozen times at guy with ten percent life rolling in a corner until a bluecop comes to kill me*

They're actually mega bad and I have no idea how people use them, sure they swing fast but the hits are pathetic, the range is rear end, I don't notice them bleeding any more frequently than other fast bleed weapons, and you have to 2hand them. The dual katanas seem potentially a bit better but it's going to take 40/40/40 str/dex/luck for them to reach full power and I'd rather go with something less stat-intensive.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Okay, so I did not explore the long stretch below the great bell in the Peak. Am I screwed now, since I've since rung the bell?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

StrangeAeon posted:

Okay, so I did not explore the long stretch below the great bell in the Peak. Am I screwed now, since I've since rung the bell?

The clouds will go away when you beat the boss.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Exodee posted:

(Although I think you can do the dancer/swordmaster glitch to get it early?)

I see this glitch referenced frequently and don't actually know what it is. Mind sharing?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Harrow posted:

He was until they started to tie together.

What he said was that he felt like the callbacks early on weren't leading to anything and were just pandering. Now that they're starting to pay off he basically recanted those statements in his latest video.

In my opinion, it didn't feel like any of it tied together. Anor Londo felt like it was just there for nostalgia, and its geographical contradictions are hand-waved as the world being timey-wimey. I'm curious how he'll feel about it once he's completed that segment of the game.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Notorious QIG posted:

I see this glitch referenced frequently and don't actually know what it is. Mind sharing?
If you summon the swordmaster guy down at Vordt, you can bring him to the Dancer bossfight. (which you can trigger early by killing Emma)

Now, normally he won't stand a chance, but if you exit the game while he's dying, then resummon him again he'll be invincible for some reason. Plus, since he uses a Chaos Blade(?), the bleed damage will kill the Dancer fairly quickly.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Notorious QIG posted:

Kill Swordmaster, summon him outside Vordt (you can't kill Vordt yet), go to the old lady across the hall, kill her, walk forward, and the dancer will come to kill you.
As soon as she kills the Swordmaster, quit out of the game. When you go back in, re-summon the swordmaster and the Dancer won't be able to hurt him, but he'll be able to do damage to her, albeit very slowly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Notorious QIG posted:

With a character who hasn't killed Vordt yet, kill the Sword Master. This allows you to summon him as an NPC phantom outside Vordt's room. You can, instead, take him to the opposite side of that area where Emma is, kill Emma, which triggers the Dancer of the Boreal Valley boss fight early, and let Dancer kill the Sword Master. Save an exit as soon as he dies, summon him again, and now his hitboxes will be all hosed up and if you lead him to the Dancer a second time, he'll solo her and all you have to do is stay out of the way.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Weird. Thanks for letting me know I guess :)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Random Hajile posted:

Oh yeah lol you CAN upgrade shields, haha

Seriously, I completely forgot about that fact after my first DS1 playthrough. I used the Shield of Want for 50% of my DS3 time...

RabidWeasel posted:

Hollow / Bleed builds are basically just 'improved' versions of a regular damage build on a bleed weapons. The luck scaling is poor so you're investing those stats mostly into improved bleeding, for actual damage you need regular scaling from str/dex. I personally can't find a bleed weapon I like more than the Carthus Curved Sword, it was one of my favourite weapons anyway on the back of its excellent 2hand moveset and range, and it's well suited to a Hollow infusion.

The only 'pure' luck build weapon is Anri's, due to the mega luck scaling.

They're actually mega bad and I have no idea how people use them, sure they swing fast but the hits are pathetic, the range is rear end, I don't notice them bleeding any more frequently than other fast bleed weapons, and you have to 2hand them. The dual katanas seem potentially a bit better but it's going to take 40/40/40 str/dex/luck for them to reach full power and I'd rather go with something less stat-intensive.
Thanks for this info. I'll start NG+ with the Bandit's Knife because I never knifed before and will farm the CCS before going NG+, maybe that'll be my weapon of choice for PvP!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grondoth posted:

WHY ARE SO MANY WEAPONS JUST BAD

But look at all these straight swords for you to use! You want to use straight swords, right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Toady posted:

In my opinion, it didn't feel like any of it tied together. Anor Londo felt like it was just there for nostalgia, and its geographical contradictions are hand-waved as the world being timey-wimey. I'm curious how he'll feel about it once he's completed that segment of the game.

I was all right with the geographical changes given the vast amounts of time that have passed and the way that the land is explicitly shifting and changing all the time. I got the feeling that most of Anor Londo is long gone, but Irithyll was built around what is left but who knows.

But also, I thought pretty much all of the callbacks in DS3 felt earned. Nothing seemed truly gratuitous or dumb to me, and DS1 isn't even my favorite Souls game--I don't really have that strong of nostalgia for it. I just thought DS3 did a good job of carrying forward some of its threads.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sorry if this is a question that gets asked a lot but what exactly is the effect of using a weapon that gives you the message of "this weapon will not be effective with current stats" or "this weapon will not be effective unless wielded with two hands"?

It doesn't seem like it affects swing speed or anything. Is it just straight up less damage? More stamina use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

mastershakeman posted:

warden twinsword thoughts: boy these have much shorter range than a straight sword , also much lower damage than anris
That's OK I'll just hit more with them
*swings a half dozen times at guy with ten percent life rolling in a corner until a bluecop comes to kill me*

yeah the roll game in DS3 is pretty insane. you really have to bait people into overcommitting into coming after you, because if someone decides they just want to evade you they can pretty much indefinitely. like has been discussed pages ago, a host who decides he just wants to roll / run away and summon body guards to wear down an invader is very hard to stop.

for me, the opening round of blows in pvp are very important to gauge how hard you are hitting your opponent. every attack up to the first estus is important because you can see how much of their health your R1 or R2 or whatever is doing. you can also get a sense for how many of their hits you can take before you need to back off and heal (or not if you have great honor). then, the idea is to set it up so that you hit them once or twice, enough so that they're hurt but not so hurt that they'll back off to heal, then bait them into hitting you, eat a cycle on their weapon, and then immediately retaliate with a combo of your own that can kill them. it's not a very sophisticated strategy but most people doing pvp aren't master duelists and they'll get excited when it looks like they're scoring free hits on you, and once you get them to burn out their stamina with their R1 spam they can't immediately roll away. as long as your weapon gets hit confirm before they build up enough stamina to roll, you can kill them with your combo (with the warden twin blades something like R1 > L2 > R2).