Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
macron said that according to serological ("antibody") tests for the coronavirus only a "very small minority" of the french population has been exposed

https://twitter.com/Mediasinfos/status/1249765688950095879

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

my brain and soul must be broken beyond repair because I cannot stop laughing at the corpse propped up in the chair

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Telsa Cola posted:

A lot of the academic bias towards China is mainly (at least in my field) focused on anything they publish about themselves, because there is huge amounts of interference and oversight by governmental bodies who adjust the publications to meet party lines.

in my gf's field (medicine) the tendency for china's medical research is to produce not what one would call "junk science" but often times science that is suspect due to the tendency for the government juicing the numbers in an effort to make their research seem more impressive than it actually is which causes all the skepticism for what comes out there. this is actually a practice found in more than a few of US/european papers however when it happens it's due to labs/researchers juicing their own numbers as opposed the government encouraging it or flat out doing it prior to publication, and when it's found out western labs/researchers do that their careers are usually permanently ruined, not so much in china

the covid research otoh is more in line with what you're field seems to experience and gives medical researchers another reason to view what comes out of china with skepticism

also the transparency of their research facilities capabilities, something that russia also has issues with declaring

Telsa Cola posted:

There are several other countries where this is also the case, and where even foreign academics have to follow the governments play book if they want to publish there, which in many cases is good (Goverments should not be beholden to the whims of foregin, often white academics). However it gets real lovely when they basically want to use your works has propaganda pieces and adjust it accordingly.

iirc it's actually journals that dictate how things get published in them in the medical world and they have varying degrees of standards based on how prestigious the journal is

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

MorrisBae posted:

lol no other country is ever going to let Americans come within its borders

we're trapped here to die

My girlfriend and I are supposed to go to Scotland in late August. I asked her last night if she thinks we're still going to be able to go and she says "OH WE'RE GOING!"

I'm not so sure myself

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

gently caress it i'll do it anyway i spent the two days off in a row i had from my dumb loving essential job painting this guy and i'm super happy with it

pls post what's been keeping you sane outside of looking at Number and going "lol"
The armor turned out perfectly :)

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

gregday posted:

my brain and soul must be broken beyond repair because I cannot stop laughing at the corpse propped up in the chair

It's the fact that they really tried to be civil and kind and treat it as a person but

Yeah

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Rynn posted:

My girlfriend and I are supposed to go to Scotland in late August. I asked her last night if she thinks we're still going to be able to go and she says "OH WE'RE GOING!"

I'm not so sure myself

I'm flying wherever the BCG vaccine is

Inject me daddy

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lady Militant posted:

excited for another wave of braindead baseless sinophobia from the usual crowd that thinks it's 100% not racist to write off 1/7th of the earths population as Unable To Do Science.

nobody thinks that people in china can't do science, they correctly think that they're not being allowed to by the government

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Mackers posted:

Bout the same amount as North korea

that seems counter-productive

Relevant Tangent posted:

if the situation were reversed and china was trusting the research coming out of the united theocracies of america they'd be equally stupid

once you have state level actors falsifying data and research all you're going to do is waste your time if you read the studies, cf lysenkoism

seems like as stated by others and me up thread then you'd just look at each study and compare to see how much things are being hosed with or not? as writing off an entire modern industrial countries scientific output entirely seems short sighted imo. and it would be short sighted if the chinese refused to trust any of the studies coming out of the U.S. as well.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

this week we get to learn exactly how effective the US lockdowns have been compared to other countries

IHME estimates we hit peak deaths 3 days ago, any bets on what things look like on wednesday?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Why does this happen every drat weekend

Sunday: the cases are leveling! We did it :woop:

Tuesday, when the weekend data gets caught up: oh :sigh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1249762302477381635?s=20

Tornado season is just beginning. It's going to be a wild year

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Spime Wrangler posted:

this week we get to learn exactly how effective the US lockdowns have been compared to other countries

IHME estimates we hit peak deaths 3 days ago, any bets on what things look like on wednesday?

we hear this EVERY loving WEEKEND

literally every loving weekend everyone comes out of the woodworks hooting and hollering about leveling off or reaching peak then we get new record amounts of deaths

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 19:42 on Apr 13, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ebola Roulette posted:

Why does this happen every drat weekend

Sunday: the cases are leveling! We did it :woop:

Tuesday, when the weekend data gets caught up: oh :sigh:

not just the weekend, easter loving weekend lol

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

uninterrupted posted:

lol if you think hillary would have handled this better

Oh brother lol if you don't
And he's just getting started

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Lady Militant posted:

As compared to the rest of the world? In a discussion with my department lead a few weeks ago he mentioned how awful basically every U.S. polling company was at accurately judging outcomes within margins of error that would never be accepted elsewhere. We then talked about the factors of why that might be and at no point was the idea that "americans intrinsically cannot do statistical analysis" floated.

What's the amount of times a chinese academic publication needs to "get things right" in order to be considered?

Poll companies and peer-reviewed journals are not the same thing and I hope you realize the irony that in this discussion your counter-point is an anecdote of this time you talked to a guy

dex_sda posted:

there's a bunch of junk science everywhere, the pressure to publish or perish in academia leads to some nasty poo poo. most published research is false. so i'd prefer to see a systemic study of those problems in china vs elsewhere before jumping to "china science bad" conclusion

Last ~5 years or so there's been a whole lot of Chinese papers retracted:

https://qz.com/978037/china-publishes-more-science-research-with-fabricated-peer-review-than-everyone-else-put-together/

Here's 107 retractions from just one journal:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13277-017-5487-6

Note that there's massively more Chinese papers getting retracted than anywhere else combined. You can also see the total numbers of published papers from China is still relatively lower than for example the US in that article.

Now this doesn't mean that all Chinese science is bunk or that they're some racist stereotype twirling their mustaches evilly as they spread bunk science. There's lots of poo poo and retractions with lots of journals and it's a bit of a dirty industry; could be that next year something breaks and there's massive retractions from other countries, or maybe other countries are just better at bribing, who knows. There's tons of great science coming out of China as well, but there's also specific and relatively recent reason to look specifically at research coming out of China (note this is just purely for reasons of faking peer-reviews, and aside from other issues like CCP editiorialization) and it's not *just* vague racist bullshit, which isn't to say some people don't make the claim that "China can't science" due to racist bullshit.

Edit: also happy to hear of someone more knowledgeable in the field debunk all this, but Chinese academics faking peer review has been an issue reported on by a lot of places and I've yet to see a debunk or counter argument

LimburgLimbo has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Apr 13, 2020

reptilians
Sep 2, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gringostar posted:

iirc it's actually journals that dictate how things get published in them in the medical world and they have varying degrees of standards based on how prestigious the journal is

Journals can dictate what gets published but the host country can subsequently go "Okay cool, you are never working in this country again and also we are likely going to revoke access to your colleagues/institution. Thanks for playing"

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

I want a Zebra cake

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

mastershakeman posted:

5 bucks a mask after shipping&tax, but you know what, gently caress it, might as well

edit lol my wife got mad and said those masks are supposed to go to doctors. gently caress that

the feds actually said KN95 masks were going to be allowed to be used, so i'm actually kind of curious, how exactly are they selling these? even if they aren't cleared for medical use they should be going to someone other than people online for $5/ea

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Gringostar posted:

we deserve to die

of course we all deserve to die. otherwise, why were we born in the first place??? checkmate.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lady Militant posted:

then you could have said "while usually theres no issue, in this case we think they are loving with the data for x y and z reasons" .

you being really ignorant isn't anyone else's fault though, and it's not anyone's job to cater to your ignorance

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1249762302477381635?s=20

Tornado season is just beginning. It's going to be a wild year

yeah, I'm actually terrified of what it's going to bring for the people down here and in the midwest, myself included. The flooding once it starts in the Mississippi basin will be dreadful as well

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-endorses-joe-biden-2020-election-2020-4

e: Bernie Sanders endorses Joe Biden after dropping out of the 2020 race

these slow forums are adding to my creeping insanity today, I might need to day drink just a little, maybe a shot

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

facetoucher cat posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bernie-sanders-endorses-joe-biden-2020-election-2020-4

these slow forums are adding to my creeping insanity today, I might need to day drink just a little, maybe a shot

Bernie is a worthless cuck.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Telsa Cola posted:

Journals can dictate what gets published but the host country can subsequently go "Okay cool, you are never working in this country again and also we are likely going to revoke access to your colleagues/institution. Thanks for playing"

do you mean the researchers themselves or the publications because lol if a country ever decides to ban something like nature or blood outright

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I really could use a vehicle (to live in). What's all this about winning a Jeep?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

facetoucher cat posted:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1249769228082782210?s=20

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZ-qN1or9U

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1249767683802923016/photo/1

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Seating cum

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

dex_sda posted:

there's a bunch of junk science everywhere, the pressure to publish or perish in academia leads to some nasty poo poo. most published research is false. so i'd prefer to see a systemic study of those problems in china vs elsewhere before jumping to "china science bad" conclusion

you don't think the government censoring the poo poo out of you if you come to the wrong conclusions is going to automatically lead to a higher rate of falsehoods?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gringostar posted:

do you mean the researchers themselves or the publications because lol if a country ever decides to ban something like nature or blood outright

The researchers themselves.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
:holymoley: i got my TUMPBUX

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

dex_sda posted:

Seating cum

Luggage Rake

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

edit lol my wife got mad and said those masks are supposed to go to doctors. gently caress that

they don't take kn95's :smugdon:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The rest of our lives will be worse everyday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

you don't think the government censoring the poo poo out of you if you come to the wrong conclusions is going to automatically lead to a higher rate of falsehoods?

Not necessarily. Censorship can manifest in the way grants, funds and approvals are done - a lot of scientific pressure in the soviet era operated like that in my country. If that were the case, then things against the government lines would never get published, and hence not increase the rate of falsehoods.

That being said I can believe there are some problems, it's just I prefer to make that statement definitive after seeing, you know. Actual data on that lol.