Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Soul Glo posted:

that planeswalker seems really bad

It's a good walker for a control deck, since the +1 slowly but surely wins the game while providing another advantage.

Problem is, it's 3BR, so not only is it asking for a control deck in really awkward colors for such, it's competing with The Scorpion God who is much better at this theoretical BRx control business.

mandatory lesbian posted:

is it really tho

Having a man that can be Naturalize if you need it is good, yes. A fair chunk of Qasali Pridemage's power is in the Naturalize option, just the threat it provides to things like Aethersphere Harvester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a good walker for a control deck, since the +1 slowly but surely wins the game while providing another advantage.

Problem is, it's 3BR, so not only is it asking for a control deck in really awkward colors for such, it's competing with The Scorpion God who is much better at this theoretical BRx control business.

Having a man that can be Naturalize if you need it is good, yes. A fair chunk of Qasali Pridemage's power is in the Naturalize option, just the threat it provides to things like Aethersphere Harvester.

LOL, no. A big part of pridemage's power is the little keyword called "exalted". Being 2 cmc with all that utility is better than 3 cmc with a bigger body and no keyword.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

That art does not depict a 3/4 for 3. IMHO.

Well it just got done thrashing so it's a really tired brontodon now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Get him drinking and he becomes Belligerent for +1/+2

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wow another bad walker!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

this card is way more boring then qusali imo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
picked up an iconic masters box on sale and my friend and i are gonna do some sealed

box had a couple mishra's bauble's, couple of lightning helix's, a thoughtsieze, aether vial, magus of the moon, cryptic command, horizon canopy, mana drain and foil flusterstorm

:stare:

e: also a knight of the reliquary and vorinclex

not bad for $165 tbqh

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 31, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

LOL, no. A big part of pridemage's power is the little keyword called "exalted". Being 2 cmc with all that utility is better than 3 cmc with a bigger body and no keyword.

Well no poo poo it's not as good, but it's a pretty good body that can make GPG nervous without actually having to do anything. Maybe it'll do alright.

mandatory lesbian posted:

this card is way more boring then qusali imo

That's fair though.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Am I right in thinking that Thoughtseize as a walker ability would be a minus? Not saying the RB walker should have that of course.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Elyv posted:

It's a bad Ob Nixilis Reignited, so it might still be borderline standard playable

The good Ob Nixilis Reignited was only borderline standard playable. I don't like this guy's chances.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Thrashing Brontodon is Strictly Better than Qasali Pridemage.

In standard :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dehtraen posted:

Am I right in thinking that Thoughtseize as a walker ability would be a minus? Not saying the RB walker should have that of course.

I'd say so, there's plenty of good cheap spells that have shown up as minus abilities on walkers- Swords, Vampiric Tutor (minus the life loss), Lightning Helix, Glimpse the Unthinkable, Bolt etc.

Maybe you take away the life loss like how Liliana Vess has Vampiric Tutor, but it doesn't damage her controller. Or if it's a more expensive walker you make it cost 0 loyalty like Brainstorm on JtMS.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 31, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

I don't think so. By the time a walker with Thoughtsieze would come down (turn 5+) their hand would be rather limited. Especially if it had the "lose 2 life" clause.

If it were costed significantly cheaper (3 or less) then it would likely have to be a minus that all but wiped the walker.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

tzirean posted:

The good Ob Nixilis Reignited was only borderline standard playable. I don't like this guy's chances.

Bobby Nixon is a really good guy in modo's 1v1 commander! The major difference between there and standard re. 5-cost planeswalkers is Wrath of God costs 4 and Fumigate costs 5.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Man, I remember when a 3/4 for 3 was a body way above the curve. I'm thinking Anurid Brushhopper that I ran in Wake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Man, I remember when a 3/4 for 3 was a body way above the curve. I'm thinking Anurid Brushhopper that I ran in Wake.

It's still noteworthy today.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Brushopper was also good at dodging removal and wraths, although agreed that the body was more noteworthy at the time.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PJOmega posted:

I don't think so. By the time a walker with Thoughtsieze would come down (turn 5+) their hand would be rather limited. Especially if it had the "lose 2 life" clause.

If it were costed significantly cheaper (3 or less) then it would likely have to be a minus that all but wiped the walker.

I feel like the RB Walker should’ve been 4 CMC. At 5 I’d rather suck it up and go to Bolas instead.

A black 4 CMC walker with +1 thoughtseize, -2 removal, -2 sign in blood, ult ??? would be pretty sweet.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Angrath is Fat Furry LotV

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Angrath may be a case where the pre-con version could be better than the real one, because boy is that a bad walker.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Brushhopper might still be a decent card today, I think. But not for the 3/4, yeah.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MrBling posted:

Angrath may be a case where the pre-con version could be better than the real one, because boy is that a bad walker.

He looks like a solid fit for my Rakdos commander deck :shobon:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Captain Oblivious posted:

He looks like a solid fit for my Rakdos commander deck :shobon:

Which Rakdos?

Answer carefully.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

MrBling posted:

I think it is. You can play one of the pre-con Angrath with a Fury or two, and it's much harder to deal with loyalty wise between the token sweep +2 and bringing back Hostage Taker. 5 mana discard or conditional removal is really bad.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Which Rakdos?

Answer carefully.

I have a friend with a goofy Rakdos 1 demonish deck for low power edh tables, it can be fun in games

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

I have a friend with a goofy Rakdos 1 demonish deck for low power edh tables, it can be fun in games

See I'm a horrible monster who has hit people with Rakdos.

Off a Kaalia trigger.

It's really the only way to play Magic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Count Bleck posted:

Which Rakdos?

Answer carefully.

Malfegor actually. It’s mostly about antagonizing people (everyone) with loads of discard and sacrifice effects. Angrath looks like he’d fit right in. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Antagonizing people isn't really that strong when they can't act out on their frustrations because they don't have cards to do it with.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Arena invites are starting to actually go out.

Not that anyone's gonna care until they implement Draft or Sealed. Until then it's basically just a severely limited Duels.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Entropic posted:

Not that anyone's gonna care until they implement Draft or Sealed. Until then it's basically just a severely limited Duels.

*a new wave of

I've been playing for three weeks I think, and yeah so far it's only Ixalan block constructed. They claim they'll add RIX at the set's release though, and hopefully they'll include limited then as well.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 1, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Katana Gomai posted:

*a new wave of

I've been playing for three weeks I think, and yeah so far it's only Ixalan block constructed. They claim they'll add RIX at the set's release though, and hopefully they'll include limited then as well.

Should one just rip open all the packs they give you at the beginning or am I gonna feel bad for not saving them for draft or whatever later? MTGO taught me cracking packs is awful value but Arena seems like they're basically trying to ape Eternal in terms of overall play mechanics which leads me to think I should just crack them all and actually try to build a decent Ixalan deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Entropic posted:

Should one just rip open all the packs they give you at the beginning or am I gonna feel bad for not saving them for draft or whatever later? MTGO taught me cracking packs is awful value but Arena seems like they're basically trying to ape Eternal in terms of overall play mechanics which leads me to think I should just crack them all and actually try to build a decent Ixalan deck.

They would be loving insane to force players into keeping packs and some currency to draft. Regular players who don't already play MTG would be turned off by that.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Entropic posted:

Well its an actual beta that needs testing. The next giant content/feature dump should be coming in the next few weeks. I guarantee the moment draft is playable the nda will be dropped and keys will go out to alot of streamers. Probably expect the next bit patch for when Rivals of Ixalan releases.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MrBling posted:

Angrath, Minotaur Pirate's +2 wipes out servos and Bomat Couriers, sure, but I'm not sure either will really work in this disgusting world of Rogue Refiners and Scarab Gods. Maybe I'm underestimating the +2 & Sweltering Suns taking out eternalized things that neither could alone?

Doubt it, though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Katana Gomai posted:

*a new wave of

I have been trying to play but it actually won't run on any of my computer's. Kind of disappointing.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Entropic posted:

I would be surprised if they didn't do a reset once they went out of beta and had an actual monetization model figured out.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I opened my packs and got like 8 arguel's blood fast, arcane adaptation, and old growth driads and closed the client in disgust.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I still haven't got my invite.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Entropic posted:

Draft will use 15 card packs so whatever you have now won't help you either way, plus they said they'll wipe everyone's collection with the RIX release. Don't bother min/maxing a test account dude.

All of this info is on the beta forums btw, just read the announcement forums and stay clear of the terrible rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I reinstalled MTGO to use my $10 worth of Wizards scrip on cube and give people some free wins since apparently all you can win is more Wizards scrip.

My god, they had absolutely atrocious decks. I saw a Daze. That was the entire extent of the disruption I saw in 8 games. I had more disruption in my almost mono-green deck. I (barely) lost my first match to getting stuck on 3 lands. Smashed the 2nd, started smashing the 3rd and my computer died. Just won't turn on. So I guess that's a good lesson about installing WotC programs.