Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AlmightyPants posted:

She can make so much money, both for WWE and herself that you would actually have to want to hate making money to sabotage her on the main roster. I really, really hope that HHH picks her as his hill to die on, because he'd be foolish not to. As much time, money and effort as they've spent trying to make Roman Reigns the next John Cena, they have the next John Cena in Bayley. The only differences are that she's female and everyone loves her.

I'm not afraid of them actively trying to sabotage her so much as I am afraid that Vince/Dunn don't know what to do with a woman who isn't either Playboy-model pretty or someone they can sell as uncommonly large (i.e. Chyna, Kharma, to some extent Tamina). gently caress, even Nattie got saddled with some "ugly duckling" nonsense for awhile before she busted out the dominatrix gear.

The other problem is that her gimmick is like pure whitemeat babyface and that traditionally has had problems getting over on the main roster, whether men or women. It works down in NXT where you have the hero's journey of the underdog clawing and scratching her way up to the top, but we all know women (or men who aren't in the upper card) rarely get that kind of nuance on the main show.

Even if they don't actively try to screw her gimmick, it's too easy to see the nightmare scenario of her trapped in a feud for a month with Nikki Bella calling her ugly or whatever until no one gives a poo poo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

To the point of suggesting that apes evolved into humans because they ate tons of mushrooms. That's like Brian Kendrick levels of stupid.

Hallucinogens and other mind altering substances were probably a pretty big part of how a lot of early human cultures evolved and likely had an impact on how humans view the world but I don't think even Thomas McKenna thinks it literally went from ape->mushrooms->human

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I dunno man the first time I ate mushrooms I told my friends that I was the king of the snakes so maybe sydal knows what he's talking about

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm not afraid of them actively trying to sabotage her so much as I am afraid that Vince/Dunn don't know what to do with a woman who isn't either Playboy-model pretty or someone they can sell as uncommonly large (i.e. Chyna, Kharma, to some extent Tamina). gently caress, even Nattie got saddled with some "ugly duckling" nonsense for awhile before she busted out the dominatrix gear.

The other problem is that her gimmick is like pure whitemeat babyface and that traditionally has had problems getting over on the main roster, whether men or women. It works down in NXT where you have the hero's journey of the underdog clawing and scratching her way up to the top, but we all know women (or men who aren't in the upper card) rarely get that kind of nuance on the main show.

Even if they don't actively try to screw her gimmick, it's too easy to see the nightmare scenario of her trapped in a feud for a month with Nikki Bella calling her ugly or whatever until no one gives a poo poo anymore.

Maybe the best thing to do is not have her introduced as a big deal. Just a quiet debut on Superstars or Main Event. Then as she picks up wins and momentum, Smackdown and finally Raw. Part of the reason why the current main roster thing is such a disaster is they introduced the 3 new women as big deals from NXT, told us they are good and we should like them, then rarely gave them matches where they could be good or the time to develop characters we could like. Sasha Banks is an instant star the moment she enters the arena as The Boss. Bayley needs to be built.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AlmightyPants posted:

Bayley needs to be built.

Ok so we can all agree that she's hosed as far as main roster is concerned, right?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I knew it already going in, but I was still kind of taken aback listening to the latest Talking Shop when it became clear just how much Matt Sydal LOVES drugs.

I'm not surprised by anything after his AOW where he talks about going to the Amazon and trying ayahuasca and it want strong enough for him so he tried some other even stronger dissociative drink.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Again, Bryan. Bryan Danielson in WWE is like THE whitest white-meat babyface ever. As is John Cena. Their characters are 'average guy who is very good wrestleman and fights against The Man' and 'literally Superman'. It doesn't work to have 40 of them, but if you do ONE, it gets over fine.

On the other hand, you're absolutely right that they seem to have no idea what to do with a woman that isn't a Maxim-model in look or character. Even in cases where that IS their sex appeal. Paige and AJ only just about managed to sidestep it, and even they have had to glam up a little more than they had been once on the main roster. Bayley's even worse in that regard because her appeal relies on her not being sexualised at all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Exactly, her appeal lies in her being a great underdog and a brilliant wrestler. There's nothing in the WWE system outside NXT that should give anyone any hope at all that she'll be handled well if she gets called up. She'll be put into a feud with the Bellas and called ugly, and she'll have scripted promos where she'll say "Oh yeah? Well, YOU'RE UGLY!" as a comeback. The Bellas will then say to her face, "Say it to my face bitch!", after she actually says it to their face. Then she'll be the "crazy chick" because that's the only characterisation they have for women in the WWE. Then she'll get an incontinence gimmick or something. Then she'll get disillusioned and quit.

All of this because Vincent Kennedy McMahon is a millionaire who should be a billionaire, rather make a nickel his own way than a dollar someone else's etc etc. All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Anyone who watches NXT and quotes CM Punk is wrong pretty much by default.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I can make blanket statements too: anyone who thinks that the way a woman is handled in NXT will have any relevance to the way they are handled when called up to the main roster is delusional. Grima Beavertooth will get into Vince's ear and poison her from the start.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Well I mean you're trying to make a point about Vince not getting how to make money while quoting a guy who went "It's not like I matter, the kinds of people who will quote me will give WWE money no matter what" and proving him right by watching NXT.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Great White Hope posted:

Well I mean you're trying to make a point about Vince not getting how to make money while quoting a guy who went "It's not like I matter, the kinds of people who will quote me will give WWE money no matter what" and proving him right by watching NXT.

I haven't had a Network subscription since the Royal Rumble this year. If there's a match up on youtube, I'll watch it, and there were matches up on youtube etc, so I watched them.

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 12, 2015

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I dunno man the first time I ate mushrooms I told my friends that I was the king of the snakes so maybe sydal knows what he's talking about

I sat down on the beach and told a lady making beads that she was beautiful and perfect.

Everyone should take mushrooms once.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I sat down on the beach and told a lady making beads that she was beautiful and perfect.

Everyone should take mushrooms once.

they really are great

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.

CombineThresher posted:

To the point of suggesting that apes evolved into humans because they ate tons of mushrooms. That's like Brian Kendrick levels of stupid.

Sounds like he listens to a lot of the Joe Rogan podcast

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CombineThresher posted:

Isn't this a Bill Hicks bit?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

they really are great

i sat on a balcony overlooking a lake with jesus and havana bob for about thirty minutes and imagined i was on a bayou, it was cool

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
free nick diaz

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Oh drat granny with a sick burn on edinsanantonio tonight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

I'm not sure, but for some reason I got into my head the Louis C.K bit where he talks about his first memory being 3 years old and taking a massive poo poo in his pants while standing out in the street.

"The pain was so great that I came online."

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Lid posted:

It's a long standing counter-culture theory. I think Terence McKenna came up with it back in the 60s/70s

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lid posted:

Found it

https://www.facebook.com/MushroomsAreAwesome/videos/555014934558071/

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Lid posted:

It isn't funny or intelligent, so yes.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Has everyone checked out Pro Wrestling Sheet yet?

Details:
http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/10/10/9493413/former-tmz-producer-launches-pro-wrestling-website-prowrestlingsheet

Ryan seems like a nice and well meaning guy but he has already caused issues with his launch day stories. I know we joke around about him but Dave Meltzer is Dave Meltzer for a reason. The more linear showbiz model of Celebrities, their agents, PR planting stories in the media doesn't really work when it comes to Pro Wrestling. It is a nuanced thing but there's a lot more possible unintended consequences, a different psychology etc.

In short Ryan Satin doesn't know yet how to disguise sources in a way that works in Pro Wrestling.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lid posted:

its actually a thesis published by some anthropologist. Joe Rogan is a big fan of the guy. The actual text talks more about nuts'n'bolts stuff but Joe and Co just hear "HEY MONKEYS ATE MAGIC MUSHROOMS THAT MEANS ITS GOOD FOR YOU"

its a psycho chemical reaction that short circuits your brain, not a hotline to god, you dorks.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"If there was a Hurricane Granny & you could make it hit anywhere in the world, where would you put it?"

*HEAVY EDIT*

"WHY did we ask that question?"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
shoulda called it Satin Sheets

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

dsriggs posted:

"If there was a Hurricane Granny & you could make it hit anywhere in the world, where would you put it?"

*HEAVY EDIT*

Well that's why we have an edit button!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

dsriggs posted:

*HEAVY EDIT*

What did they cut?????

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

What did they cut?????

Vinny said he shouldn't ask it, they asked Granny the question anyway, there was a super obvious edit, and then Bryan and Vinny going "why did we ask that!?"

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I bet granny said to hit the black folk in New Orleans or something equally racist.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Holy poo poo, Bryan had never heard of fantasy football. How does that dude live in the world without absorbing anything from larger society?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I bet granny said to hit the black folk in New Orleans or something equally racist.

:mexico: prob

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Holy poo poo, Bryan had never heard of fantasy football. How does that dude live in the world without absorbing anything from larger society?

"How Has anyone on this earth not heard of Royce Gracie in 2015? Now who is this Tom Brady geek?"

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"HOW THE HELL DID WE LOSE TO THE COLTS THIS WEEK??"

"It was, uhh... the Bengals..."

"WHO CARES??"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

When did Bryan talk about fantasy football? I swear he only talks about football to screw with Vinny. After the Super Bowl he made some comment and it sounded like Vinny wanted to kill him.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

him calling a play action a 'worked handoff' or whatever is still one of my favorite things he's ever said

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He knows that fantasy football is a thing, he just has no idea how it works. I'm absolutely in the same boat, I hear people talk about it all the time but I had no idea what it actually entailed, and Mike's explanation still left me feeling confused as to how it actually works - so you make up a team of guys you like and at the end of the season if your guys did well overall (whether their teams won games or not), you.... win?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

rovert posted:

Has everyone checked out Pro Wrestling Sheet yet?

Details:
http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/10/10/9493413/former-tmz-producer-launches-pro-wrestling-website-prowrestlingsheet

Ryan seems like a nice and well meaning guy but he has already caused issues with his launch day stories. I know we joke around about him but Dave Meltzer is Dave Meltzer for a reason. The more linear showbiz model of Celebrities, their agents, PR planting stories in the media doesn't really work when it comes to Pro Wrestling. It is a nuanced thing but there's a lot more possible unintended consequences, a different psychology etc.

In short Ryan Satin doesn't know yet how to disguise sources in a way that works in Pro Wrestling.

Did he name names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dave understands discretion. I don't think a wrestling TMZ is going to last too long before nobody will talk to it because it's going to blab about everything the second it hears about it. Dave heard about the original TNA cancellation before Dixie did and was honestly trying to help her!

• Locked thread