Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Who do you have available? Mother doesn't test anything specific build-wise so you just want to have an OP run for your first win. I find isaac does that more easily than Cain but it's not a huge difference. Azazel probably has the most consistent op runs if you can handle his black hearts early game because flight improves your economy so much and because it's easier to farm angel rooms with him as flight lets you dodge bosses better.

If you've gotten to Mother a lot without beating her on normal it indicates that you're missing out on scaling opportunities (angel rooms, secret rooms, tinted rocks, and arcades are the most significant) because a third of the time you reach her you should just be rolling her over without real effort.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Did Isaac's Awakening last night. Made it to Mother, but didn't have the damage or HP to finish the job. I did, however, have Judas's Shadow, and the R key had dropped earlier in the floor...

Round 2 went significantly better.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PSA: If you get an item like Marked where it forces to you fire non-stop you can stop the firing by pressing ctrl

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I haven't played since the game came out so Flash Isaac is kind of still ingrained in me more. Going through it and I noticed that sometimes my character will get stuck walking in one direction until I tap that direction and just wanted to know if it's a my computer thing or what. Of the couple runs I've had it's ended a few annoying.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
No Wave, how do you use arcades? I never get a ton out of them, but I keep seeing people talk about their importance. And people hoping for them in streams and stuff.

I've just unlocked the Keeper, finally. Now really just focusing on a Mother kill and then I'll have all 17 characters! Excited to start unlocking the deeper stuff from Repentance.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I haven't played since the game came out so Flash Isaac is kind of still ingrained in me more. Going through it and I noticed that sometimes my character will get stuck walking in one direction until I tap that direction and just wanted to know if it's a my computer thing or what. Of the couple runs I've had it's ended a few annoying.

I think it's your computer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

apophenium posted:

No Wave, how do you use arcades? I never get a ton out of them, but I keep seeing people talk about their importance. And people hoping for them in streams and stuff.

I've just unlocked the Keeper, finally. Now really just focusing on a Mother kill and then I'll have all 17 characters! Excited to start unlocking the deeper stuff from Repentance.
Mostly, blood machines. Blood machines increase your economy by a ton, getting 15 extra gold basically for free near the beginning of your run is a really big deal.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I keep getting hit and not knowing what's doing it. I'm gonna turn on high visibility bullets and see if that helps

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

PSA: If you get an item like Marked where it forces to you fire non-stop you can stop the firing by pressing ctrl

This tip just helped me get my fist Mother kill as Azazel with Marked and Dr. Fetus. Definitely would have died without it.

Now to start unlocking all the alt stuff! Going for Eden first cause that secret challenge seems hilarious.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Had my first final final boss kill yesterday. Lacrophagy/Almond Milk/Parasite is an unholy combination.

Any tips for unlocking Pica? I've found marbles on greed mode so I assume that I have them unlocked already but the challenge isn't available. Should I try and redo eating gulp pills to see if it pops or am I missing something else?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In hard mode I've been blowing up blood machines for the hearts.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Three other very important things are that curse rooms no longer affect devil/angel chance (so you should always enter them if you’re down to red hearts in case you get a soul heart), extra boss items from bloody arenas and Downpour II are huge, and the angel/devil meta has shifted. It feels like there are far fewer game-winning devil items and far more game-winning angel items than there used to be, and red health is a lot more valuable than it used to be thanks to reduced soul heart availability. At the same time, the devil room will very often have at least one item good enough to give a struggling run some hope. All in all, if I feel like I’m in a bad place after Basement II then I’ll take a devil deal, but otherwise I’ll skip it without entering for the guaranteed angel room.

e: Also, the negative is a damage up now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wow, the hourglass got a huge buff, it used to last for something like a twelfth of a yoctosecond but now it lasts long enough to clear most 1x1 rooms, still on a 2 bar charge. Also great on Bethany when you make it to Delirium or whatever with 50 charges and can use it as a janky I'm Drowsy.

Broken Modem also got a big buff. It now makes some projectiles just disappear, and can double pickups. I'm a weirdo who already liked it so now it's a must get for me.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
huh.... was doing the Isaac Awakening challenge and got the red key. ended up in an I am error room with no way out and the exit wouldn't open because of completion requirements so had to restart

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
I managed to kill Mother without getting hit thanks to psy fly and era walk. Shame it was with Judas and not the Lost!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ended up going for the 5 win streak since I already had three and managed to finish it with Cain and Lilith (and also got Bandage Girl since somehow I never got her with Lilith). But now It's the Key it's kicking my rear end, having so fewer items thanks to not being able to pick up bombs or coins makes poo poo much harder, and since the Lost is the only character who can take Devil Deals without risk I'm at risk of getting an stupid room and dying (like, 3 times...)

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Had the first Repentance run with Lost, got dead cat in the 1st devil deal. Then some solid stuff like 20/20, parasitoid and ghost pepper. Found Perfection in depths which supercharged my dps. Wanted to just unlock the tainted Lost, but managed to kill the Beast pretty easily. Didn't lose any cat's lives before the last boss, a great run overall.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

Broken Modem also got a big buff. It now makes some projectiles just disappear, and can double pickups. I'm a weirdo who already liked it so now it's a must get for me.

Changelog didn't mention anything about Broken Modem. :raise: The double pickups thing was already there, for sure. IME, it can make some projectiles appear to go away but they actually still have a hurt box, which sucks.

I do like the item too. It's basically about as good as Broken Stopwatch on average, though much stronger still if you have high luck. Nothing like going through womb rooms where the enemies never get a chance to move or do anything at all.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

TheJadedOne posted:

huh.... was doing the Isaac Awakening challenge and got the red key. ended up in an I am error room with no way out and the exit wouldn't open because of completion requirements so had to restart

Red key error rooms means you've passed the edge of the map. With a bunch of teleports to get out of edge error rooms, you could technically fill out the entire map with red rooms like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiKvXLw0nDo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Changelog didn't mention anything about Broken Modem. :raise: The double pickups thing was already there, for sure. IME, it can make some projectiles appear to go away but they actually still have a hurt box, which sucks.

I do like the item too. It's basically about as good as Broken Stopwatch on average, though much stronger still if you have high luck. Nothing like going through womb rooms where the enemies never get a chance to move or do anything at all.

Huh, it definitely didn't do the double pickup thing on Switch at least. Or maybe it did and I somehow never noticed it despite extensively using it? That would surprise me since it's pretty obvious when it happens on PC Repentance.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I beat challenge 1 again on my relatively fresh file :shobon:

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Also got to the secret final boss and during the chase sequence the spikes on the ceiling started falling any time I got under them. I've had several fights with him and never seen that before

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

Huh, it definitely didn't do the double pickup thing on Switch at least. Or maybe it did and I somehow never noticed it despite extensively using it? That would surprise me since it's pretty obvious when it happens on PC Repentance.

IIRC, the double pickups is only a 25% chance and it only applies to bombs/keys/coins dropped from room completion, unlike Contract from Below where any kind of room drop is doubled no matter what.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Because of the weirdness of side-scrolling gravity, piercing Tiny Planet (or a fraction of Almond Milk) tears never go away during the final battle. Combine with Tech 0 to become a whirling ball of electricity.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Wow, the hourglass got a huge buff, it used to last for something like a twelfth of a yoctosecond but now it lasts long enough to clear most 1x1 rooms, still on a 2 bar charge. Also great on Bethany when you make it to Delirium or whatever with 50 charges and can use it as a janky I'm Drowsy.

broken modem's art update rules, it's worth picking up just to see what they did with it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Qylvaran posted:

Because of the weirdness of side-scrolling gravity, piercing Tiny Planet (or a fraction of Almond Milk) tears never go away during the final battle. Combine with Tech 0 to become a whirling ball of electricity.

I've been trying to unlock all the hidden characters, which also puts me with the option to fight that final boss (are there any unlocks for it other than maybe post-it stamps?) and there's a lot of items that work differently on that fight.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
AAAND I can exhale. Got all the unlocks done for tainted jacob using the CHEAT METHOD!!! Thank god for 9 lives cause that super secret boss win never would have happened without it on that lower damage run. Took a whole god drat HOUR. I can dial things back a bit now. My brain could use a nice rest.

There's two things I want to beeline now--so can someone tell me how to unlock the rotten beggar and the "Hell Game"?. I look them up and I see what it says they are but won't tell me how to unlock!!! And don't want to read too too much about every item and unlock. So I'd appreciate just knowing that :)

quote:

Also got to the secret final boss and during the chase sequence the spikes on the ceiling started falling any time I got under them. I've had several fights with him and never seen that before

I think you skip parts of that fight if you have higher damage and melt it quick. There are a bunch more sections. The one you mentioned there is the toughest part of that fight I think so it's always good when it's skipped.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 13, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I think you're right. As soon as I mess up, I just get burned down. It's kind of an all-or-nothing fight.

I'm also having a helluva time getting extra HP for the fight. Most of the time I have 3-4 red hearts and maybe a couple blues.

Is there a character that's best set up for it? I've mostly used Cain for the key you start off with.

I've had a few good runs, but the one that got through with the least is probably Samson. Having built-in damage and building for durability when possible seems to go a long way for Mother. He didn't get anything fancy, just a few extra red hearts through Blood Machines and Boss Rooms (one of which got traded in for Ceremonial Robe on the next to last floor), a full set of orbitals through slot machines and a Cube of Meat, and hanging onto a Sun found on Ashpit 2 until the Mother fight, even though I only had like five red hearts to work with.

e: Also, I think people are underestimating a lot of the new Devil Deals? Like, they're not a windmill slam you should check every deal every run because it's the only consistent source of Damage Up anymore, but I see a lot of people making GBS threads on the Quarter in the Devil Room, and there's already been a number of times where I'd walk out of a store or arcade wishing I had enough money to do a thing to save or secure my run, seen the quarter at the end of the floor, and gone 'yep, that's worth a heart, easy' and gotten my run locked in.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 13, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Shade seems like it loving sucks. I got it early in a curse room so I decided to see the payoff for it finally. like two floors later I did enough damage for the shade to merge and that's it? 4 non respawnable friendly chargers that die after a few rooms and 2 contact damage against enemies for the rest of the run???

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Shade seems like it loving sucks. I got it early in a curse room so I decided to see the payoff for it finally. like two floors later I did enough damage for the shade to merge and that's it? 4 non respawnable friendly chargers that die after a few rooms and 2 contact damage against enemies for the rest of the run???

Yup, it has always sucked pretty bad and as far as I can tell that hasn't changed with Repentance. When you absorb it you start doing contact damage equal to what it did, so I guess it's alright with Unicorn Stump or something but I've never lived that particular dream.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I loving DID IT

It took Azazel and a loving BONKERS build but Mother is finally dead. I play muted so I don't know what is said during the cutscene but I can just watch it later.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I only found out about the R key today. I'll guess it's pretty uncontroversial to say it's the best item in the game by far (only gnawed leaf is in contention).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, the r key is great and i haven't lost a run yet where i've been able to get it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's a really cool addition. I'm still in genuine impress over how many new systems they added and refined with all the B-Side stuff and doubled content portfolio. The new modding is going to be something else when all is said and done.

today I found myself thinking and wishing "Nintendo could make a mass murdering on a Zelda clone of this"

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm getting better at getting to Mother at least but I'm struggling to learn the attack patterns. No clue what I'm meant to do about the fistula attack at all.

Getting screwed over by the mirror a bunch recently, I learned the hard way that going back in the mirror a second time leaves you in lost mode permanantly, but I had a layout with a secret room between the mirror room and the treasure room last night so I had completely safe passage but for some reason I was still the lost after leaving with the knife piece?

Also when I played day one I got the holy mantle effect after touching the white fire but after the first patch dropped its gone which was fun to realise only after I tried to leave the curse room. I don't think I have the Lost unlocked yet on this save file. I only ever unlocked them on PS4, back when you had to do a bunch of nonsense dying to specific things as specific characters. These days its just dying in a sacrifice room with the missing note equipped right? And the mantle is a greed mode unlock right? I need to get that done I'm losing too many runs going for just one more pip of charge in the mirror world lol.

Also ipecac is a huge upgrade to dr fetus now, you get explode on contact bomb tear and you can no longer take damage from them. You can still get hit by other explosions though. Its kinda wild because neither items normally give you explosion resistance at all!

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks to an Ewhaz rune, the R key, and the sacrifice room I was able to take Judas from a blank Post-it to a mom’s heart, Satan, Lamb, and Mega Satan kill on hard with the achievement for not getting hit in the dark room as a cherry on top. I haven’t unlocked the Polaroid, Negative, or even It Lives yet. 😁

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Speaking of Ipecac- be careful picking up tech x with it

:supaburn:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Finished Mother and the considerably harder home bosses but that only opened up 1 new character for me. I guess using a wiki to figure out how to unlock new content is unavoidable at this point.

Christ those weird endings.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm just gonna say that Lacagraphy, Pop! and rubber cement together is top-tier shenanigans and I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hvUdVsStpc