Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

not trusted, hated.

by ten year old children.

that's still brand awarenes's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

a context menu could be implemented 100% without a fancy touchscreen. They already have context menus on press and hold, just let users have the 3d touch menu for that if they want.

i mean isn't that how it worked for 1 button macs decades ago.

sweet now i cant move my appsp around thanks idiot

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

sweet now i cant move my appsp around thanks idiot

what happened to you

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

humans prefer analog controls? what world is this‽

I prefer simple, obvious solutions to backporting features that don't involve me buying a new phone

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yes, I realize their intentions on not backporting features. but shitposting about thurrot doesn't require you to make yourself look like a moron in the process

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I onlyt wish the best of you and hope you don't become pleasurekevin 2.0 of the ms thread duTrieux =)

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

in it voted 5

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

in it voted 5

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

what happened to you

how do you move apps on an iphone

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

A Yolo Wizard posted:

yes, I realize their intentions on not backporting features. but shitposting about thurrot doesn't require you to make yourself look like a moron in the process

the 3D touch thing can do at least two different levels of pressing in, couldn't do that with just one button. maybe they should add a ctrl button on the back?

anyways you and thurrot are wrong :(

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deacon of Delicious posted:

the 3D touch thing can do at least two different levels of pressing in, couldn't do that with just one button. maybe they should add a ctrl button on the back?

anyways you and thurrot are wrong :(

Noone is going to use more than one level in any meaningful way

Sudo Echo posted:

how do you move apps on an iphone

~it could actually be the same in either setup you just put (move) in the fuckin context menu~

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

A Yolo Wizard posted:

it's going to be used in drawing programs and that's it.

some apps are going to trial using varying amounts of pressure for different actions, realize that it's a horrible idea and scrap it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I prefer simple, obvious solutions to backporting features that don't involve me buying a new phone

feature u want backported: a new type of touch interaciton that is impossible w/o new hardware or loving the entire way touch interaction currently works. have u thought about a career working on android

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

~it could actually be the same in either setup you just put (move) in the fuckin context menu~

cool so a phone full of apps u touch and hold on and the only otpion in the menu is move, making what is now a one touch operstiob into a much more annoying effort never mind that move in the context menu wouldn't make sense with how u actually make all the apps moveable at once cureently

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

loving the entire way touch interaction currently works.

counterpoint: no it wouldn't

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry if moving your apps around happens so often that this would seriously affect your workflow stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if there's onebthing Apple is known for, especially with the iphone, it's completely changing a core part of the way the ui interaction works to half rear end something that really needs new hardware to accomplish properlky m

if this upsets u in sure you can buy a lovely android phone and root it right up ur rear end

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i guess it makes sense ud have such a fuckbaf idiot idea when we're in the a thread dedicated to a company who would do that kind of thing and are absolutely trash becos of it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

good posts stux

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

if there's onebthing Apple is known for, especially with the iphone, it's completely changing a core part of the way the ui interaction works to half rear end something that really needs new hardware to accomplish properlky m

Yes, you need new hardware to add a context menu properly in 2015

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 29, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pressing and holding is not the same as force pressing. i tried that a bunch on the model at the store and it's definitely based on force, not length of press.

besides the 96 sensors that make that possible, the taptic feedback is also pretty much required. regular phone vibrators are too slow to give the illusion of a "click" when you press the screen.

although the implementation of taptic is much better in the Macbook than in the  Watch and iPhone 6S. it seems just everso delayed in the watch and phone and there's a better illusion of a click in the macbook.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

humans prefer analog controls? what world is this‽

do they? i don't look forward to a return to the touchscreens of fifteen years ago when you had to push down really hard for it to register your input half the time

on top of that, companies have tried pressure-sensitive input on something every couple years for over a decade. the reason it fails isn't because the technology wasn't there yet, it's because it's a usability nightmare, no one takes advantage of the capability because of that, and the company quietly drops it from their feature checklists in embarrassment after a while

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PleasureKevin posted:

pressing and holding is not the same as force pressing. i tried that a bunch on the model at the store and it's definitely based on force, not length of press.

Im happy to see you completely missed the point kevin. and then wrote a whole lot explaining how you missed it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

imagine if upon disconnecting the keyboard cover from the surface, outlook went into touch friendly mode and you could palm through your messages.

Windows has detected that the keyboard has been removed. The system will automatically reboot into Touch Friendly Mode in 60 seconds.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

do they? i don't look forward to a return to the touchscreens of fifteen years ago when you had to push down really hard for it to register your input half the time

on top of that, companies have tried pressure-sensitive input on something every couple years for over a decade. the reason it fails isn't because the technology wasn't there yet, it's because it's a usability nightmare, no one takes advantage of the capability because of that, and the company quietly drops it from their feature checklists in embarrassment after a while

what's the name of that company that tries things others have tried but does it way better and it just works?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
reddit

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

what's the name of that company that tries things others have tried but does it way better and it just works?

brazzers

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

all of them, before they got caught up in web 2.0 bullshit and trendy marketing instead of making decent products

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Windows has detected that the keyboard has been removed. The system will automatically reboot into Touch Friendly Mode in 60 seconds.

[    OK    ] [Reboot now]

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

you don't have to press very hard at all for 3d touch. and regular touches and long touches register just as easily as ever

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah same I can't believe 3D Touch is making apple use a resistive touch screen

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yes, you need new hardware to add a context menu properly in 2015

you don't need it, u could do exactly what u said. but it would be a really bad idea to do that when press and hold has a well established function already, so adding a new way of proessing with new hardwarebis a good way to add it without destroying exisitng design paradigms. im sorry consistency in ui is such a difficult concept for u have u maybe tried using windows 10 instead

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are a variety of places in the existing pre ios9 ui where press and hold had a context menu. in fact, the home screen doing its doobly do wiggly icon move thing is unique to the home screen.

that doesn't sound very consistent

edit: for some reason they've abandoned the swipe left / right motion on the new news app and have replaced it with a press and hold context menu. that doesn't sound like its holding to existing design paradigms at all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

don't use the news app use feedly instead

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

don't use the news app use feedly instead

you misspelled reeder fyi

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
apple aids thread seems to be spreading

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

besides the 96 sensors that make that possible, the taptic feedback is also pretty much required. regular phone vibrators are too slow to give the illusion of a "click" when you press the screen.

although the implementation of taptic is much better in the Macbook than in the  Watch and iPhone 6S. it seems just everso delayed in the watch and phone and there's a better illusion of a click in the macbook.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Im happy to see you completely missed the point kevin. and then wrote a whole lot explaining how you missed it.

:five:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i hate reeder's lovely as hell built in browser

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
iphones are stupid

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

There are a variety of places in the existing pre ios9 ui where press and hold had a context menu. in fact, the home screen doing its doobly do wiggly icon move thing is unique to the home screen.

edit: for some reason they've abandoned the swipe left / right motion on the new news app and have replaced it with a press and hold context menu. that doesn't sound like its holding to existing design paradigms at all

hmmm STFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

how r u missing this very simple point so easily. hold on the home screen has always done the same thing. thats why its consistent. hold also has other uses elsewhere which is true, but u were talking about changing it specifically on the homescreen from making icons movable to a context menu. thats inconsistent.

also nebver mind that it can do multiple levels of touch, so now u have ur hold and touch, as well as at least 2 more actions from a similar movememnt, without sacrificing anything. ur old phone doesnt get the nwe functions, but its not lost any. u have not been inconvienienced in anyway, ur phone still functions as it did. im sorry ur getting v confused about simple conceptps. im sorr u feel entitiled to have evyerhting for free. mayhaps we can get apple to put the new cameras in ur old phone for u so you dont have ot cry about a newer phone than urs being newer.

• Locked thread