Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

No, Hellblazer's saying that would suck but be better that what they did do which is try and make it into some power move from Cody choosing not to fight Roman after Roman said all the quiet parts out loud about Seth's belt being the runner up prize.

Yeah exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
who says?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

No, Hellblazer's saying that would suck but be better that what they did do which is try and make it into some power move from Cody choosing not to fight Roman after Roman said all the quiet parts out loud about Seth's belt being the runner up prize.

:psyduck:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DEAR RICHARD posted:

cody’s story is just in the third inning.

Game's been called due to inclement weather, reschedule date TBD

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Don't forget Priest still has the MITB contract, so it could potentially be even funnier - Seth beats Cody, Priest cashes in & wins the belt, Cody gets TWO rubber chickens

I mean honestly it might be best for them to do that. I don’t see them actually wanting Cody carrying round the silver medal belt he’s repeatedly said he’s not interested in as a reminder to everyone that he’s waiting for romans schedule to clear. But he probably also shouldn’t lose to Seth 0-4 Rollins. It’s a really bad situation they’ve put themselves in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

They're trying to sell it as Cody disrespecting Roman by refusing to fight him at the biggest event of the year, in the main event, to culminate his 'story' and instead letting a bigger star have the match, thus making Roman into a bigger deal...

Like, it's terrible on every level except the idea that it's bad on purpose to distract from the lawsuit.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Cody says I need that title, the one you have, to finish my story, which is what the last 10 years of my life have been about. But I'm not gonna right now 'cause Rock wants to.

It's not just the two years he's been back in WWE. Quitting in the first place was explicitly because Stardust would never be WWE champion and that was his goal. He said so back then. It's just... mind boggling to give up the chance for literally nothing.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In what universe does that make ANY sense?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
i dunno what could be funnier: this whole mess with cody on the outside looking in or going through with cody/roman 2 at wrestlemania anyway but roman goes over again

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This is more egregious than taking away the Owens/Jericho main event for another Goldberg run. WWE is driven by pure antipathy for fans and every time someone goes "but WWE is good now!" they always get proven wrong.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Truther Vandross posted:

A triple threat would be in everyone’s best interests tbh. Cody wins the belt. Rock eats the pin to prevent Reigns from doing a job. A third guy keeps Rock from spending the entire match being blown up. He can pop in for spots and otherwise just take it easy.

Why would The Rock get pinned by that jobber?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
People keep saying rock vs Roman is the money match, but like does anyone give a gently caress about the rock anymore?

Also Cody has a humiliation fetish

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Adrenaline
In my soul
Million dollar cuck chair
Cody Rhodes

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Coaaab posted:

who says?

common sense

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

The_Rob posted:

People keep saying rock vs Roman is the money match, but like does anyone give a gently caress about the rock anymore?

I know he's fallen off big time in the last year, but Johnson was the highest paid actor in 2022 per Forbes

He's probably the next most mainstream-known wrestler after Hulk Hogan (though I've met some people who didn't know he used to wrestle)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

In one of the most controversial moves in wrestling booking history, The Rock is poised to face Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 40 instead of Cody Rhodes.

We will preface this story by stating that nothing has been officially announced, and as always in pro wrestling, plans can change – just as they did over the last week. There are many in the company that are cautiously optimistic that if the reaction that WWE received Friday night

As of now, the plan for WrestleMania is The Rock vs. Roman Reigns, Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins. Sources in creative confirmed that as of recently, the working plan was Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns, and CM Punk vs. Seth Rollins. Punk’s title shot was to be set up at the WWE Elimination Chamber PLE. Brock Lesnar vs. Dominik Mysterio at Elimination Chamber and Lesnar vs. Gunther from WrestleMania were also canceled from creative plans, as Lesnar and Punk were eliminated from creative moving forward.

While Cody Rhodes professed loudly at Royal Rumble that he was coming after Roman Reigns, there were some in the company that claimed that they heard as of that afternoon that The Rock had agreed to face Reigns. We’ve also heard that there was Rock “Head of the Table” WrestleMania themed merchandise prototypes within the company by that weekend.

Nobody we spoke to could make the order of operations make sense, but many were hopeful that WWE and TKO would see the reaction and pivot. You can see many of the reactions we’ve garnered below.

Those that we’ve spoken to said that The Rock had not only pushed to work the match, some thought he was even pushing to win the match. Regardless of what the finish will be, multiple sources said that they viewed this as a political move that TKO believes will result in more immediate money than what would have been with Cody Rhodes vs. Roman Reigns. Sources within TKO swore this wasn’t done out of malice to Rhodes, and value him as a talent, but believe that those involved with the decision making underestimated how the patience of the audience has worn thin on the situation.

There have been some creative shakeups within WWE of late, and sources on the creative team expect Rock’s longtime business partner and friend, and former WWE creative member Brian Gewritz to factor in heavily to the Rock’s creative plans moving forward. He’s expected to be around from time physically, as well. Fightful reached out to Gewirtz about his role, but were not immediately able to get comment unless it was an interview approved by WWE. TKO sources did say they valued Gewirtz’s skill set and that they could see him in a key WWE role creatively if the right situation aligned between all parties.

Regarding the timeline of events, we’re told that Cody at least was informed as of Friday that this was the decision, and he didn’t travel to Smackdown without knowing. Talent, including The Rock, had all been booked for the February 8 press conference in Las Vegas by that time, though The Rock’s involvement wasn’t clear.

Naturally, Fightful asked if this move was done in order to take attention or publicity away from the WWE, Vince McMahon and John Laurinaitis scandal and lawsuits that were going on. Sources in the know claimed that The Rock was actually pushing for this before, but admitted that it couldn’t have hurt the process to get any mainstream publicity that was not associated with the scandals.

It’s work noting that The Rock and Ari Emanuel have had a long standing relationship, and The Rock is the biggest star tied to the Endeavor brand. Fightful had heard as of three weeks ago there was a talent element being pitched for his role with TKO, as both sides wanted to maximize the huge deal they made around the board position, licensing fees, and rights of “The Rock” name.

For those wondering, the early word is that The Rock will attempt to work a full-length match, but there’s no word on if he’d be open to continuing to wrestle. There were some concerns about him working a WrestleMania main event-length match after his recent appearances.

All parties involved will be at the Las Vegas media presser Thursday. Fightful's Sean Ross Sapp and Instinct Culture's Denise Salcedo will be on the scene.

Reactions Within WWE

For the sake of transparency, Fightful reached out to over three dozen contacts within WWE across all departments. None that got back to us even played devil’s advocate for the decision to run The Rock vs. Roman Reigns, and the decision was universally panned from those we spoke with.

“I’ve known Dwayne a long time,” one wrestler told Fightful. “Not only did the look on Cody’s face tell a story, the look on Dwayne’s told a story. I think in that moment he knew that this decision wasn’t going to work out quite the way that he imagined it. He was experiencing the same thing that he and Roman experienced in Philadelphia. He was being co-signed for something the vast majority didn’t want.”

Everyone that we heard back from understood the business implications of running the match, but believed it wasn’t a good decision for long-term WWE business.

“The Rock vs. Roman made sense several years ago when we were running back Roman and Lesnar repeatedly. It could have made sense this year had Cody won the title last year. This is one of the few years it just doesn’t make sense in any capacity,” one former world champion told Fightful.

A source in creative said that many on the team were deflated, and it felt like a decision they’d hear about being made under the previous regime at the expense of helping cultivate new crossover talent.

Another source that had worked with the Rock was much more stern, saying “The Rock eroded his trust with the comic and superhero community, with the film community, maybe with the football community, and might do it with the one he has almost universal goodwill with. He’s not a bad guy, don’t mistake that or get me wrong – he’s a great guy. However, bad timing and overexposure and fatigue will make fools of us all. You have to know when to take a back seat.”

PWInsider was told that the move was not done to politic Cody out of his main event with malice, and one top talent sent Fightful a screenshot and said “I truly believe that The Rock wasn’t being malicious. Not being malicious with intent and actions not having malicious repercussions aren’t exclusive.”

Another longtime member of the creative team said “there have been numerous meetings, pitches, attempts to get The Rock in on this match, or really any match, for years and it never happened. One year the excuse was that the story didn’t make sense. Not only does it make less sense than ever right now, it’s undermining one of the biggest stories we’ve ever told and turning off a lot of our fans.”

“The Rock’s family passed the McMahon family in the past week as far as power dynamic in pro wrestling, and it’s probably not going to change any time soon,” said one person who has worked with all parties involved numerous times.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The_Rob posted:

The movie-going public is demonstrably sick of his poo poo, for sure. He hasn’t had a legitimately successful solo film that isn’t a part of a franchise or an existing IP that didn’t need to rely on China in yonks.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
gently caress it put the belt on Rock. Let's go full Mutoh here.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

edogawa rando posted:

The movie-going public is demonstrably sick of his poo poo, for sure. He hasn’t had a legitimately successful solo film that isn’t a part of a franchise or an existing IP that didn’t need to rely on China in yonks.

I mean it’s probably good he’s wrestling Roman because Roman matches are mostly antics happening around the match, cause rock is gonna look like poo poo in the ring.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1753809733470093580?s=20

https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1753821498656051268

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
remembering when the rock was speculated to be the next arnold to the point arnold made a cameo in the rundown as a passing the torch moment and then the rock proceeded to never be in a good movie

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Taxman posted:

I know he's fallen off big time in the last year, but Johnson was the highest paid actor in 2022 per Forbes

He's probably the next most mainstream-known wrestler after Hulk Hogan (though I've met some people who didn't know he used to wrestle)

Highest paid doesn’t always translate to biggest drawing actor.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i forgot pain and gain he was good in that movie

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I love Cody and punk I love mania season

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Sources within TKO swore this wasn’t done out of malice to Rhodes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

remembering when the rock was speculated to be the next arnold to the point arnold made a cameo in the rundown as a passing the torch moment and then the rock proceeded to never be in a good movie

Fast and the Furious 5 through to 7 were alright, but his biggest hits are all where he’s part of an ensemble or leaning on an extant IP.

The truth is that most audiences haven’t really gone to see a movie because it stars Dwayne Johnson for quite some time, and it clearly caught up to him with Black Adam.

The live action Moana will probably do alright, but if you think it’s because The Rock is going to be in it, you’re only fooling yourself.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1753858358208033159

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

after all the cooking we are finally eating good

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hahaha, I take back everything I said about The Rock being in the main event gives away that Roman’s going to retain.

Every time this company hits peak stupidity, they find a way to go exceed it.

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
Please let him win the belt and go full Hollywood heel again.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Go full Mutoh, coward Dwayne.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Malikov posted:

Please let him win the belt and become the face of the company

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gridiron gang :colbert:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lmao people really thought the guy who melted down over Black Adam and refused to look weak against Vin Diesel would come back for Wrestlemania to do a job??

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

lmfao this rules. like it's the worst poo poo ever but it rules

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Who the gently caress negotiates a contract that prevents him from jobbing in a loving movie?
The F&F franchise is the only time I've heard of this happening ever, much less 2, 3(did Statham do it too?) times.

Classicst3ve
Feb 28, 2019
There's no way that WWE doesn't look at the sheer negativity from the fans to this decision and don't pivot, right? Maybe work Cody into Rock vs Roman as a 3-way (which the Codester loses because Roman pins Dwayne lol) and Seth can fight...Sheamus or Drew or The Rainmaker or something? I just feel like they have to know how bad this looks, and they'll try and pull a Daniel Bryan thing again, then say "oh that was the plan all along" at the Wrestlemania presser.

Classicst3ve
Feb 28, 2019
But then again, this is the WWE. The Fan's Choice, brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Classicst3ve posted:

There's no way that WWE doesn't look at the sheer negativity from the fans to this decision and don't pivot, right? Maybe work Cody into Rock vs Roman as a 3-way (which the Codester loses because Roman pins Dwayne lol) and Seth can fight...Sheamus or Drew or The Rainmaker or something? I just feel like they have to know how bad this looks, and they'll try and pull a Daniel Bryan thing again, then say "oh that was the plan all along" at the Wrestlemania presser.

They ran off all the audience that willed Daniel Bryan into winning at Mania 30 a long time ago.