Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

No Wave posted:

Godhead got nerfed in repentance. The aura around the tears used to deal 30% of normal tear damage 15 times per second, now it deals 1.05 damage flat 15 times per second. It's not a run-carrying item now, it's just a better spoon bender.

I tested this and that does seem to be the case, I think that's a bug rather than an intentional nerf given there's no reference to it in any of the patch notes. I pointed it out in the Isaac discord so there's a chance it might get changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it goddamn better, the gently caress is the point of GODHEAD if it can't carry a run on its own

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like if they're going to keep intentionally OP items in the game then Godhead ought to be one of them. It's a real letdown at the moment.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm starting to think that Edmund is a secret Vegan, all the milk items are so bad

I just got almond milk and good lord lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

They should keep it weak until I do the 8 more lost clears required to unlock it imo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Godhead got nerfed in repentance. The aura around the tears used to deal 30% of normal tear damage 15 times per second, now it deals 1.05 damage flat 15 times per second. It's not a run-carrying item now, it's just a better spoon bender.

you know, for an unlock that requires you beat everything hard mode as the lost (which now includes mother) that's loving dumb

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

yeah I'm about ready for mods to come back on so half this poo poo can be repaired back to functionality

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Grapplejack posted:

I'm starting to think that Edmund is a secret Vegan, all the milk items are so bad

I got a hilarious almond milk build once where I had really high luck and knockout drops so I would very quickly shoot a barrage of punches that just sent basically everything a million miles away from me.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think I've ever lost a run with Almond Milk in it. I always seem to get something that combos well with it. For example, most luck based tear effects will happen constantly, hitting mostly in front of you but also generally near you.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Grapplejack posted:

there're some builds where they're fine, but i'd only get it if you can abuse the high fire rate. almond milk specifically will fire most if not all charge shots as long as you hold the button down which makes it hilarious with brimstone/azazel

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

soy milk, almond milk, and chocolate milk should synergize into something incredible powerful

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

was wondering why i wasnt instawinning runs with godhead...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Finally unlocked Mega Blast, last run was Apollyon with Dr Fetus+Ipecac+Mega Blast, so I was spamming bombs that OHKO'd everything they touched without damaging me, Mega Satan would eat a bomb and go to the next phase of adds.

Not sure if there's anything I should go for before buying Repentance (besides Greedier but I hate that mode), since I already got an early Godhead and Mega Blast and most misc achievements, besides 2 victory lap ones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The finger is pretty bad with Tainted ???, you just end up destroying all of your poops instantly. Tech X + Guppy is still really good, though!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Revelation is broken good for high-HP characters and is absolutely going to get a hypernerf, take it whenever you see it

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I failed with Godhead and Holy Mantle and some other great items. I succeeded with Pinking Shears, Anarchist Cookbook and base damage. What a world this is

Except the drat shears don't work on the final enemy! What the crap is that!! They worked on everything leading up to it! Well the joke's on you game i whooped its rear end anyway

You give me low damage fine but don't tell me then that the stuff that I have to compensate for that lack of damage suddenly doesn't work.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 18, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Black August posted:

Revelation is broken good for high-HP characters and is absolutely going to get a hypernerf, take it whenever you see it

Revelation owns and I love it, but what does character hp have to do with it?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Revelation owns and I love it, but what does character hp have to do with it?

Allows you to tank entire clusters to obliterate rooms, it's nice to have enough extra health to use it for facetanking

EDIT: which then makes it much bigger and great for the boss or just more difficult floors in general

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think you mean Salvation and not Revelation.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You're right, I do. I even double checked the entry before I posted. Revelation is the Holy Brimstone one.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I don't think Mother's grid bullets actually scale to your character size, so that's... cool

Psi Fly is completely busted and meant I didn't have to interact with mother's bullet patterns, though, so that worked out. I genuinely don't know how you legitimately navigate her spinning barrage. Cool shoutout to completely untelegraphed attacks throughout corpse, which were the only thing the fly couldn't eat

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
To dodge the spinning attack i found that its good to find a gap then ADADADA, hardly deviating from it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

This is the second loving time I've grabbed Blood Oath right before an important floor (Womb II, in this case) completely loving forgetting what it does

"Wow, The Fallen on Womb I! Just hand the run to me, why don't you" - the words of a complete loving dumbass who's about to gently caress the entire thing up

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are transformations harder to get with the d4 and d100 now

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

are transformations harder to get with the d4 and d100 now

you have to actually have all the items to do a transformation now, and rerolling out of them no longer counts/you lose the transformation once you no longer have the items that are part of it

so yeah

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

lmao if you go into the Mines back area with flying it just gets arbitrarily stripped from you for the duration, nice

if Isaac wants to force the player into so many shmup style dodging sections, either by scaling or just by removing your build entirely, they really need to make hitboxes more obvious and remove tear height

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

someone awful. posted:

you have to actually have all the items to do a transformation now, and rerolling out of them no longer counts/you lose the transformation once you no longer have the items that are part of it

so yeah

dang thats a decent nerf to the reroll items

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Stelas posted:

lmao if you go into the Mines back area with flying it just gets arbitrarily stripped from you for the duration, nice

if Isaac wants to force the player into so many shmup style dodging sections, either by scaling or just by removing your build entirely, they really need to make hitboxes more obvious and remove tear height

I'll wait for a mod that just cuts it out entirely, but it is an easy event, you just have to be patient which is frustrating when you've already done it multiple times; I thought it'd be a once-per-Mother-checkmark deal.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Birthright has to be one of the best shop items you can buy, regardless of whatever character you play as.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

Birthright has to be one of the best shop items you can buy, regardless of whatever character you play as.

Well actually some characters don't even have effects added for them with the item, they haven't been implemented yet.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Stelas posted:

unless you're azazel or lost :science:

but yeah, I agree it's pretty dumb and unnecessary

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I kinda forgot purple fires shoot at you

I just died in an angel room debating what to pick up, as the keeper, with a decent loadout (that new spore shot item owns)

I feel the life force draining from my loving body

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Pixeltendo posted:

Well actually some characters don't even have effects added for them with the item, they haven't been implemented yet.

Oh, I didn't realize. Sorry.

Birthright is definitely a top tier item for Tainted Keeper, especially on Greedier mode.

I don't think I've ever seen him die this quickly before.

Tainted Keeper breaks Greed mode and then some. With 4.5 volt and the Sprinkler, it kept recharging itself quicker than I could put another one down.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Black August posted:

I'll wait for a mod that just cuts it out entirely, but it is an easy event, you just have to be patient which is frustrating when you've already done it multiple times; I thought it'd be a once-per-Mother-checkmark deal.

Yeah, I don't have a problem getting through it, but taking away a part of your build is just... dumb, and feels really emblematic of the problems I'm feeling with repentance. Isaac wasn't originally built to be a game that really tested your dodging skill the way it wants to now, so they keep having to bolt on patches - item nerfs, damage scaling, no-fly-zones - to force you to engage with that side of things. Except it doesn't have basic shmup QOL features like visible hitboxes or consistent tear height, Isaac takes up a ton of screen space by default, and the game's really happy to just spawn stuff on top of you and give you a big 'gently caress you'. It's trying to do two things at once and I think it's coming off worse for it.

tl;dr 'waaah let me melt stuff in my single-player game' I guess

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 18, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the fact there's a reward, if only cosmetic, for 100%ing the game's DLC 3 times, is a kind of abuse i think

Stelas posted:

Yeah, I don't have a problem getting through it, but taking away a part of your build is just... dumb, and feels really emblematic of the problems I'm feeling with repentance. Isaac wasn't originally built to be a game that really tested your dodging skill the way it wants to now, so they keep having to bolt on patches - item nerfs, damage scaling, no-fly-zones - to force you to engage with that side of things. Except it doesn't have basic shmup QOL features like visible hitboxes or consistent tear height, Isaac takes up a ton of screen space by default, and the game's really happy to just spawn stuff on top of you and give you a big 'gently caress you'. It's trying to do two things at once and I think it's coming off worse for it.

Agreed. I like some really hard shmups (Hellsinker) and I do like Isaac if not remotely as much as Gungeon, but combining them is kinda afwul lol

It's not even git gud, it's just tedious at times.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 18, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stelas posted:

Nah it's a fair point, and I've said it before but the implementation of armor in the new Repentance enemies and bosses works pretty well, where you have to engage with them and their attacks to a certain threshold but if you're at the right intersection of lucky & knowledgable enough to break the game, it's still possible to totally melt them.

Delirium is sort of in-between (if you catch him in his normal form he's got no damage reduction at all, but he's got a ton when he's transformed into another boss) but Hush and Ultra Greed still suck rear end. Mother, Beast, and the final Four Horsemen fight are all in the sweet spot IMO.

edit: I'd say Mega Satan is in a pretty good spot as well but could be slightly quicker to kill. As it is you basically have to run through all of his attack patterns for at least one cycle but it never feels like a huge slog like Hush does for example

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 18, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just learned you can randomly win the all-random secret challenge. Bought a card in the shop, for some reason it auto-activated, and instead of Temperance spawning a blood machine, it spawned the final trophy. On Depths I.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, gotcha as in if you don't know it's coming it'll getya. It is, of course, very easy to dodge once you know about it.

Yeah I've only been hit by it twice now and I've probably fought her a dozen times now. The first time was, 'ok welp no way for me to have known about that' and the second time was, 'i'm a loving idiot i knew that was coming'

I now regularly beat her without taking any hits. Mother is way more difficult

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Color Printer posted:

I wonder what the technical reason for having enemies die at negative health was anyway
code:
if(health < 0) then die();
is now
code:
if(health <= 0) then die();

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Stelas posted:

I mean it takes all your items except the knife piece lol, so unless you have intrinsic flight yeah it's gone