Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Haha you're only a little late. That happens to me all the time. Not just with bands I know but I'll find bands that have been active since 1990 or something producing good music and I've never heard of them. Too bad post-rock bands can't afford commercials and billboards.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm really sad to see Marriages's Kitsune not on the list. I'd argue that they're kind of fringe post-rock, in that they're only really lumped in there because there's nowhere else to put them and they're a Red Sparowes offshoot, but I think Kitsune was the best album of 2012.

The whole thing be here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLHhAVYuF4w

Yeah I was a little disappointed it wasn't on that list, maybe people haven't heard of them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I somehow missed the fact that Do Make Say Think did an album in '09; it's four songs of ~10 minutes each ("Do", "Make", "Say", and "Think" :effort: ) and is fantastic, possibly even better than Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead which used to be my favorite thing of theirs.

I actually just found out about this a couple days ago as well. I still haven't listened to it yet, though. I really need to. You, You're A History In Rust was goddamn amazing. I used to have this CD alarm clock and I'd wake up listening to that album every day for the last half of my senior year of high school.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://vimeo.com/50418334

sdpakshyjzaethyusryjzdng this is so good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Oh my, this makes me very happy in the pants.

Some Are White Light has always been one of my favorite tracks of theirs, too.

edit: Oh poo poo, there's more?!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 6, 2013

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I wish they wouldn't slow it down when they play it live though, it just feels a little weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nuclear Spoon posted:

If anyone ever asks me "how do you make that trebly post rock guitar sound" I'm just gonna show them the first 5 minutes of this from now on.

That interview guy is annoying though. "It's like the soundtrack for some future space movie dude" :jerkbag:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

precision posted:

If anyone ever asks me "how do you make that trebly post rock guitar sound" I'm just gonna show them the first 5 minutes of this from now on.

That interview guy is annoying though. "It's like the soundtrack for some future space movie dude" :jerkbag:

That's true, but he asked some questions which got interesting responses, especially about the Sigur Ros show. Their drummer is hilarious.

And I also want to gently caress them all because they're all stupidly good looking.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The "what life form would you be if not human" was the funniest one. I loved Joe the drummer saying he'd be a dog because he just wants to run around and be fed. And it doesn't matter what kind of dog, as long as he's the king of all dogs and gets to eat table scraps instead of canned or dry food :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gently caress yes, just found out that Caspian is playing here (New Orleans) at the end of February with Junius :rock:

This will be my 3rd time seeing them, but my first since Waking Season came out. And I've never seen Junius.

They're announcing some more tour dates today, so be on the lookout for your area!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 7, 2013

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They're announcing some more tour dates today, so be on the lookout for your area!

thanks for the heads up! Looks like they'll be in my area around the time of my birthday so hell yeah :rock:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Post-rock slice of life: Somebody liked a photo of mine on Instagram and I didnt know who it was, so I browsed their pictures to see if I knew them. Turns out it was Rory from ASIWYFA's girlfriend, as he was with her in a ton of her pictures. Small fuckin world we live in.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I was pretty lukewarm on the new album but my god it does it sound better live.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 7, 2013

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Just incase you Eurogoons don't know about ArcTanGent in Somerset.

If all goes well, I'll be there, too!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Definitely going I think with a mate from work. Goon campsite? :D

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
Looks like the new ASIWYFA album has made it's way up onto youtube. It's so happy sounding :3:

By some of the same guys as 2000 Trees so you know it's going to be a good one. I've already got my ticket! It's already got one hell of a line-up.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Just sent them an email asking for a photographer pass too. I've never photographed 65dos before!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

thehustler posted:

Definitely going I think with a mate from work. Goon campsite? :D

I'd be up to stay in Camp Goon. Let's talk about this as my plans to move become a reality.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I'm hoping to go to ArcTanGent as well, the ticket price is a loving steal for that lineup already. 65Dos, Yndi Halda and Three Trapped Tigers are all too good to be true. I hadn't heard of Brontide before but the stuff they have online sounds really great as well.
Not sure my brain will be able to handle the awesomeness of witnessing We Flood Empty Lakes live.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Our Ceasing Voice have a new album out!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Excellent, how is it? I've always been somewhat lukewarm toward them, their music's alright, but I have to question the artistic direction of a project that produces this:

It looks like a bad video game.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I got a copy of Caspian's You Are The Conductor yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I think the last time someone told me to listen to Caspian I didn't really like it so maybe that was just a lemon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

david puddy posted:

I got a copy of Caspian's You Are The Conductor yesterday, and I really enjoyed it. I think the last time someone told me to listen to Caspian I didn't really like it so maybe that was just a lemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0wKwiD7JdQ

You're welcome :D

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

The Raven

You're welcome :D

In fairness, The Raven is widely regarded as Caspian's magnum opus, and a lot of their work isn't nearly as good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

In fairness, The Raven is widely regarded as Caspian's magnum opus, and a lot of their work isn't nearly as good.

You say that, but you forget this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2qzZXsBpM

See them play this song live for yourself if you can. I've seen them do it twice. It's really something to behold.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

You say that, but you forget this:

See them play this song live for yourself if you can. I've seen them do it twice. It's really something to behold.

That does look like it would be quite a thing to behold.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It looks like a bad video game.

Because it is a bad video game.

A horrible, buggy, physically painful video game.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Jan posted:

Because it is a bad video game.

A horrible, buggy, physically painful video game.

Oh for fucks sake.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Any UK goons going to the next "Live from Jodrell Bank"

Sigur Ros! :dance:

http://www.livefromjodrellbank.com/

Perfect setting

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I already had tickets for Wolverhampton but I bought a couple for this anyway, got to try and sell the others now. Is it part of the same tour or will Kjartan be back with them by that point?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lord of Sword posted:

I already had tickets for Wolverhampton but I bought a couple for this anyway, got to try and sell the others now. Is it part of the same tour or will Kjartan be back with them by that point?

I wasn't under the impression that Kjartan was touring at all anymore. I thought he stopped all together.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I wasn't under the impression that Kjartan was touring at all anymore. I thought he stopped all together.

Well the official site today said they're now a 'three-piece band', so I guess he quietly left without anything being announced :(

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

It will be interesting to see how they change without him. Like, there's a huge shift after Von when they picked up the other guy whose name I can't remember.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

On this subject, Sigur Rós is doing an AMA today on reddit.com/r/IAmA. As brightly as my hatred of that place burns, they have good AMAs.

It begins.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 24, 2013

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I just recently found out that my favorite Japanese instrumental post-rock band Te' put out their 5th LP on my birthday last year :toot: Their stuff has been notoriously difficult to get stateside (and they're a royal bitch to Google for :mad: ) but this time that poo poo is on Bandcamp!

After a couple of listens it doesn't immediately grab me the way some of their previous albums did (the beginning of their 4th LP, the purple one, starts off with one of the most thorough rear end kickings I can recall) but it's slowly growing on me and is definitely quality stuff, just a bit more mellow than in their younger days.

Have a video of the 2nd track of the new one, Magic smoulders in the depths of optimism as the remnant of [sin] conceived by the collective unconscious of a million people.

Live one from their 2nd album, so you can see Tachibana's tiny little drumkit in action :allears:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've been hooked on the Pelican discography and *shels' Plains of the Purple Buffalo... I also just remembered that I have an unopened limited edition vinyl release of it :swoon:

*shels is probably one of the few bands that are able to make me genuinely amazed that there is still original music today.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I love *shels too, I think the best thing about them is the vocal versatility. Mehdi can do it all live too, the throat singing is so cool live :allears:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

I just recently found out that my favorite Japanese instrumental post-rock band Te' put out their 5th LP on my birthday last year :toot: Their stuff has been notoriously difficult to get stateside (and they're a royal bitch to Google for :mad: ) but this time that poo poo is on Bandcamp!
Jesus, $17.37 for a download?!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WoG posted:

Honestly Te need to get their poo poo together, half their albums don't even have official English tracklistings and the vast majority of their audience is in America or Europe. I think they're being obtuse on purpose at this point.

Also I am always amazed whenever I'm reminded that Sigur Ros still exist.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

Yeah I guess that is in pounds not dollars... but for just 3 more you get vinyl with your FLAC files :downs: It's probably some obtuse Japanese culture thing, their music industry must be hell to work with for other countries to license stuff.

I keep hearing Te' compared to 65daysofstatic, where should I start with those dudes?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Takes No Damage posted:

I keep hearing Te' compared to 65daysofstatic, where should I start with those dudes?

Their first three albums, The Fall Of Math, One Time For All Time and The Destruction of Small Ideas are the "post-rock" ones. Actually, they're kind of a post-rock/math-rock hybrid. All of those are great. "Radio Protector" from One Time For All Time is the song that inspired me to start making my own music.

Then their fourth album, We Were Exploding Anyway, shifted towards more of an electronic dance rock type sound. They still kept around parts of their older style but this album was pretty different than their older stuff. I don't know if anyone classifies that one as post-rock, and if they do, it's definitely not post-rock in the way that bands like Sigur Ros or Explosions In The Sky are. I still dig it, but it's not one I'd recommend as a starting point or anything.

I'd say start from the beginning and work your way through their discography. They've got great sounds at every turn, so if you start listening to some of their stuff and like it, chances are you'll probably like it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

We Were Exploding Anyway is still really good even if you liked the first 3 more. They are working on their 5th album at the moment. Not sure where that will go. I'm hoping for more stuff like their Silent Running soundtrack. That was amazingly good.