Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We don't have a thread for it and honestly shouldn't, so gently caress it.

I got Elyon: Infinite Realm closed beta access. Should anyone be excited for it? The answer is an emphatic "ehh". It's staggeringly "ok". Think bland kmmo themepark. Adequate yet not engaging. I keep closing the client because I'd rather watch youtubers go on about meaningless crap.

Certainly nothing that matches even closely to Lord British's masterpiece. Have you bought your ten thousand dollar computer castle yet? WHY NOT hurry up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I booted up sota last night so see what's up with this thing.
It's really odd, I mean, it's poo poo for sure.
I rescued a girl from a burning house, she then followed me and she was killing skeletons for some reason, then I clicked on a boat and the game just ditched the girl and now I am in a camp in the middle of nowhere.
wtf

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

peter gabriel posted:

I booted up sota last night so see what's up with this thing.
It's really odd, I mean, it's poo poo for sure.
I rescued a girl from a burning house, she then followed me and she was killing skeletons for some reason, then I clicked on a boat and the game just ditched the girl and now I am in a camp in the middle of nowhere.
wtf

You actually handed off the girl if you spoke to that guy (edward?) by the boat.
Follow the trail to the right and it'll lead ya to where the captain is that you need to speak to

The game gets really weird/buggy like after you make it to the captain camp, any or all NPC's you speak to will follow you around for about 20 mins for no reason at all..
The game doesn't hold your hand, which it kind of nice, but it also falls hard on it's face in a lot of areas.

Not too sure of they took it out, but iirc most or all vendors work on a schedule.
Got a bag load of unused weapons you want to sell? Head to the town merchant.
He's asleep?
Then wait 4 real hours till he wakes.

I don't know about anyone else but the NPC Dialouge System had to be the most annoying thing ever put in a game.

also if anyone was wondering, you can max out ALL your skills and crafting.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 9, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

(no more wipes)

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Gynovore posted:

Sounds about right. I'm guessing that about half of those people played a lot in college/twenties, and are now professionals. They only play a few hours a month, but $100 a year is no biggie when you make $70K.

EDIT: I'm still willing to bet that Anarchy Online has only a few hundred subscribers, no bullshit. It never was a great game, it only had the good fortune to get in a few years before WoW obliterated everything.

I agree. I was a hardcore AO player when I had no job and it was most of my social life.

It was decent, had plenty of skill/build customization and skill based pvp. Tower battles worked with a few dozen players, but got bogged down by lag with bigger numbers. But most of the MMO systems were derivative as it tried to catch up with Star Wars Galaxies and WoW. Graphics were sub par too.

Eventually my friends all left and I saw no motivation to stay.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Everytime I see someone post about Anarchy Online a part of my brain wants to play a bureaucrat zooming around in a spaceship and using the matrix/grid to teleport. The pvp mechanics were a bit meh, but aside from that it was UO-level great.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dante posted:

Everytime I see someone post about Anarchy Online a part of my brain wants to play a bureaucrat zooming around in a spaceship and using the matrix/grid to teleport. The pvp mechanics were a bit meh, but aside from that it was UO-level great.

I started on release day and played 6 months. It had a really interesting setting and some cool ideas, but oh dear god the bugs. Sooooo many bugs. And imbalances, and bad decisions.

I felt like I was playing a game designed by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation... the fundamental design flaws were almost completely hidden by the superficial design flaws.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Gynovore posted:

I started on release day and played 6 months. It had a really interesting setting and some cool ideas, but oh dear god the bugs. Sooooo many bugs. And imbalances, and bad decisions.

I felt like I was playing a game designed by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation... the fundamental design flaws were almost completely hidden by the superficial design flaws.
AO on release was probably the worst/most buggy MMO release ever, Lowtax even wrote about it on the frontpage. I tried it on release as well, but it was unplayable. I came back a little over a year later and it was fine then (or at least, not more buggy than the average MMO at the time).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played Anarchy Online during the closed/open beta, and at launch too. Everyone begged Funcom to keep the game in development for another year, that it wasn't ready for release, not even close to ready. Funcom ended up making the game free to play for the first 6 months while they addressed all of the serious issues. The game was a 1/10 rating at launch, it was simply unplayable for so many different reasons. Like even if the server stability was perfectly fine (it wasnt fine, but still), every single facet of the game was broken in some way that made AO unplayable.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Node posted:

Hail to the King, baby.

Gwailar
Jun 21, 2021
I am a Stupid Newbie.

According to "the rules," I should lurk before I post.
Thus, I am lurking still. I have lurked my way to this Post.

According to "the rules," before I reply, I should ask myself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"
Getting the hang of this, I have yet again asked myself that question, and yet again I have settled on an answer in the affirmative.

My significant advice to you, Alexandre DeLarge, remains:
Shut up, Idiot.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Gwailar posted:

I am a Stupid Newbie.

According to "the rules," before I reply, I should ask myself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?"
Getting the hang of this, I have yet again asked myself that question, and yet again I have settled on an answer in the affirmative.

Shut up, Idiot.

Alexander DeLarge hasn't posted in this thread since 2017, friend. Did they post something bad elsewhere? Please share, if it's funny.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Gwailar posted:

I am a Stupid Newbie.

Shut up, Idiot.

Some people should take their own advice.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gwailar posted:

I am a Stupid Newbie.

Shut up, Idiot.

get bent dude

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
For some reason he went into 4 other MMO threads so far and posted the same thing.

Is it possible he is a time traveler?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Alexander DeLarge hasn't posted in this thread since 2017, friend. Did they post something bad elsewhere? Please share, if it's funny.

I've encountered him on Reddit several times and he is pretty much the same old same old. His optimism for lovely Kickstarters must be absolutely soul crushing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I've encountered him on Reddit several times and he is pretty much the same old same old. His optimism for lovely Kickstarters must be absolutely soul crushing.

It might possibly be a different guy. "Alex DeLarge" is the protagonist of A Clockwork Orange.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I've still not opened my boxed copy or even the parcel it came in.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

yoloer420 posted:

Just imagine what that box will be worth in 30 years. People won't believe you have a piece of MMO history.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

yoloer420 posted:

record a video of burning it unopened imo

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

This game is free on Steam. If I just play the offline mode and pretend it's a really mediocre, at best, if I'm being kind, single-player RPG will I miss out on anything due to not playing it online? I'm not terribly interested in playing another MMO right now tbh.

The little girl suddenly spawning as a second version of herself to follow me while the other character model stayed in the burning house was a nice touch that inspires confidence as to the quality of this game.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 30, 2021

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

This game is free on Steam. If I just play the offline mode and pretend it's a really mediocre, at best, if I'm being kind, single-player RPG will I miss out on anything due to not playing it online? I'm not terribly interested in playing another MMO right now tbh.

The little girl suddenly spawning as a second version of herself to follow me while the other character model stayed in the burning house was a nice touch that inspires confidence as to the quality of this game.

It isn't even really close to mediocre, just straight bad.
Probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between online and offline.

Just play a real game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Gildiss posted:

It isn't even really close to mediocre, just straight bad.
Probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between online and offline.

Just play a real game.

Yeah between this and now I finished the intro bit and uh... it's not good. Nevermind! RIP to all the people who crowdfunded this

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

FrostyPox posted:

In Online Mode you'll run into more abandoned houses than players.

your not missing anything.

On a funnier note, i got banned from the Steam discussion thread for SOTA.

I called the game a steaming pile of poo poo.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Online I bet you could at least get some whale to give you some high tier gear if you want to keep going. They really want to keep the illusion that they get new players all the time.

In online, seeing the abominations that is player owned housing in this game might be worth a chuckle of you still have it installed. If not, :shrug:

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 3, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FreeWifi!! posted:

In Online Mode you'll run into more abandoned houses than players.

your not missing anything.

So it's set in Detroit?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's only like 10GB so I still have it installed. Maybe if I get bored of whatever games I happen to be playing right now I'll dick around in SotA for a laugh. I mean, I played through the entirety of Daikatana once, so why not this awful thing as well?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

It's only like 10GB so I still have it installed. Maybe if I get bored of whatever games I happen to be playing right now I'll dick around in SotA for a laugh. I mean, I played through the entirety of Daikatana once, so why not this awful thing as well?

Daikatana was better...

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

If you thought having John Romero make you his bitch was bad just wait until you see what Lord British has planned.......

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I can't get over how extremely "90's generic low budget fantasy" the music in this game is.

I can't get over how extremely "90's generic low budget fantasy" this whole game is.

I wish Brad McQuaid was still alive so he could team up with Richard Garriot and Chris Roberts for the ultimate Boomer Video Game poo poo Show

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

FrostyPox posted:

I can't get over how extremely "90's generic low budget fantasy" the music in this game is.

I can't get over how extremely "90's generic low budget fantasy" this whole game is.

I wish Brad McQuaid was still alive so he could team up with Richard Garriot and Chris Roberts for the ultimate Boomer Video Game poo poo Show

this is basically my dream team except i'd add John Carmack, he might have done exclusively FPS's but the man is a brain genius

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

blatman posted:

this is basically my dream team except i'd add John Carmack, he might have done exclusively FPS's but the man is a brain genius

I think the main difference is that Carmack has actually produced some good poo poo in recent years

The McQuaid-Roberts-Garriot triumvirate would come up with wild ideas for about 20 years and then produce some laughable poo poo like... well, SotA

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Just replace Carmack with Romero to stay on-theme.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Hra Mormo posted:

Just replace Carmack with Romero to stay on-theme.

Sigil was really good.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

FrostyPox posted:

I think the main difference is that Carmack has actually produced some good poo poo in recent years

The McQuaid-Roberts-Garriot triumvirate would come up with wild ideas for about 20 years and then produce some laughable poo poo like... well, SotA

What was that third person actiony sci-fi mmo he did? That was kinda cool at least in the beta

What’s the last thing carmack did? Rage? Rage kinda sucked

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think you're thinking of Tabula Rasa and it was very mediocre. How much of that was Garriot and how much of it was NCSoft is debatable, I suppose, but I'm guessing it was at least 50-50. While Carmack hasn't done anything in a while I would argue his game engines have had a much larger impact on the gaming industry than anything Garriot has ever done (which is not meant to downplay how big a deal Ultima was/is, it's just that I'd argue the idtech engines are much bigger deals)

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Since q3a most of Carmacks games have felt more like tech demos for the engine rather than fully realized games. And that's fine since engines really are what Carmacks does. All the game aspects of the golden age of id stuff were the work of other people at the company.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carmack hasn't worked on a video game in a long time too, he left ID Software in 2013, and then got involved in some lengthy and very expensive lawsuits with Zenimax. So all of the recent ID Software stuff had nothing to do with him.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I think it’s somewhat telling that Doom 2016 and Eternal are the best games id has put out since the big Romero / etc exodus right after Quake. Giving Carmack total control (or thereabouts) gave us some great graphics tech but some pretty mediocre games, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

I think you're thinking of Tabula Rasa and it was very mediocre. How much of that was Garriot and how much of it was NCSoft is debatable, I suppose, but I'm guessing it was at least 50-50. While Carmack hasn't done anything in a while I would argue his game engines have had a much larger impact on the gaming industry than anything Garriot has ever done (which is not meant to downplay how big a deal Ultima was/is, it's just that I'd argue the idtech engines are much bigger deals)

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the guy that functionally invented the crpg is about as important as the guy who invented the shooter.

The Idtech engine seems like a big deal but pretty much is a drop in the bucket compared to source, unreal and unity.