Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finally, a good opportunity to let Randlr catch up post count wise

I want to make clear, because it is dear to my heart, that
- I think all people of all ethnicities all have equal worth, and I hope we can improve how liveable as a country we are in particular for immigrants and refugees, and future citizens
- SimplySimon is a fine and upstanding citizen whose posting conforms to the highest standards
- I take nothing back of what I wrote :colbert:

Also I'm proud of this thread for homing in on the topic of disgusting food/words for pastry all by yourself, voting 5

Randlr posted:

... the 19th century where people are more amendable to ... genetics bullshit.
https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/997575537089564672

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I hate all Gemüse equally.

az
Dec 2, 2005

too far man, too far

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Wengy posted:

I hate all Gemüse equally.

Well, if you are one of those people who "just don't see colour" , it must be hard to pick the ripe from the unripe. I see why that would put you off from eating your veggies.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Finally, a good opportunity to let Randlr catch up post count wise

I want to make clear, because it is dear to my heart, that
- I think all people of all ethnicities all have equal worth, and I hope we can improve how liveable as a country we are in particular for immigrants and refugees, and future citizens
- SimplySimon is a fine and upstanding citizen whose posting conforms to the highest standards
- I take nothing back of what I wrote :colbert:

Also I'm proud of this thread for homing in on the topic of disgusting food/words for pastry all by yourself, voting 5

https://twitter.com/zei_nabq/status/997575537089564672

everyone knows DNA was discovered by the ancient italians because spaghetti nudeln are a depictions of DNA. btw, semmeln depict the hydrogen core, which was discovered by the ancient Bajuwaren.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Chili Update:

I have umtopfed my Indian chili in the only topf I had available, and added a more mature store-bought Datil, whose seeds I plan to sää aus in a makeshift hatchery I'm setting up, just to see if I can actually raise plants that should be keiming no later than early February in this climate.
India is coming along nicely, and I'm spying the Königsblüte, so I'm going to köpf her probably tomorrow and then maybe umtopf again once she's grown into her current topf.

Apologies for the ghetto-as jury-rigging job, all I had was Draht from my Werkzeugkasten and a bunch of 60-cent Stäbe from the local V-Markt. Don't feel like shelling out big bucks until I know where this rather small Aufzucht of mine is going. I'm rather rusty since giving away all my plants in 2014. :shobon:

Also, my feet are washed now

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

everyone knows DNA was discovered by the ancient italians because spaghetti nudeln are a depictions of DNA. btw, semmeln
BRÖTCHEN

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

spaghetti nudeln

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

schpadschetti nudeln > gnotschi klöße

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Smirr posted:

schpadschetti nudeln > gnotschi klöße

not as good as italian pelmeni though

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wengy posted:

spaghetti nudeln

spaghetti carbonara

una coca cola

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

not as good as italian pelmeni though

Гно́чи

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Man, I love that dude. He always has the dumbest possible take on everything. I read a NYT article about him the other day and he had some great idea about how to help out the poor incels (I guess they are his target audience):

quote:

Violent attacks are what happens when men do not have partners, Mr. Peterson says, and society needs to work to make sure those men are married.

“He was angry at God because women were rejecting him,” Mr. Peterson says of the Toronto killer. “The cure for that is enforced monogamy. That’s actually why monogamy emerges.”

Mr. Peterson does not pause when he says this. Enforced monogamy is, to him, simply a rational solution. Otherwise women will all only go for the most high-status men, he explains, and that couldn’t make either gender happy in the end.

“Half the men fail,” he says, meaning that they don’t procreate. “And no one cares about the men who fail.”

I laugh, because it is absurd.

“You’re laughing about them,” he says, giving me a disappointed look. “That’s because you’re female.”

But aside from interventions that would redistribute sex, Mr. Peterson is staunchly against what he calls “equality of outcomes,” or efforts to equalize society. He usually calls them pathological or evil.

He agrees that this is inconsistent. But preventing hordes of single men from violence, he believes, is necessary for the stability of society. Enforced monogamy helps neutralize that.

From https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/style/jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.html

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The term genetics was coined in the 19th century regardless of whether or not the DNA helix was known at that point in time, childstealing robot monster.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Eezee posted:

Man, I love that dude. He always has the dumbest possible take on everything. I read a NYT article about him the other day and he had some great idea about how to help out the poor incels (I guess they are his target audience):

From https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/style/jordan-peterson-12-rules-for-life.html

Yeah, Peterson managed to knock Dick Dorkins off of the "dumbest 'smart' person in the world" throne in record time. On the surface he appears vaguely reasonable if trite, but just a couple of seconds in it's all dragons, witches and the sexual marketplaces.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Peterson managed to knock Dick Dorkins off of the "dumbest 'smart' person in the world" throne in record time. On the surface he appears vaguely reasonable if trite, but just a couple of seconds in it's all dragons, witches and the sexual marketplaces.

Someone should ask him, with a completely serious face, if he would accept massacring single men in death camps as a reasonable alternative to forced marriage for everyone

After all, both plans are equally insane, and end with an equal amount of pacification of violent men

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is he a total windbag? Sure. But I think underestimating (e.g., ridiculing) Peterson is dangerous and wrong. He's effectively speaking to a lot of people, and very often, in debates, he's clearly outmatching the "established" or reasonable candidate. What is necessary is superior alternatives, not sneering and empty gloating.
He's catching disenfranchised young men by giving them what to them feels like purpose and guidance. Even if it's easy and feels cathartic - nihilistically tearing him down is not gonna convert these men! Superior alternatives must still be provided.

You are, of course, technically correct, the term "genetics" is older than, uh ... genetics.

I fear I'm about to get fishmeched here.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

no. nooooooooooooo

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Counterpoint: Making fun of Peterson and his fans is cool and good.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cebrail posted:

Counterpoint: Making fun of Peterson and his fans is cool and good.
Sure - it's easy and feels cathartic. Is it actually useful?

No.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

is randler an ancient astronauts theorist?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Sure - it's easy and feels cathartic. Is it actually useful?

No.

counterpoint: yes

also since when are we only allowed to do things that are useful

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

az posted:

counterpoint: yes

also since when are we only allowed to do things that are useful
I'm all for masturbation. Just don't claim you're actually loving, cause you're not, and don't do it in public, cause it's not a good look.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Is he a total windbag? Sure. But I think underestimating (e.g., ridiculing) Peterson is dangerous and wrong. He's effectively speaking to a lot of people, and very often, in debates, he's clearly outmatching the "established" or reasonable candidate. What is necessary is superior alternatives, not sneering and empty gloating.
He's catching disenfranchised young men by giving them what to them feels like purpose and guidance. Even if it's easy and feels cathartic - nihilistically tearing him down is not gonna convert these men! Superior alternatives must still be provided.

Ridiculing is not equivalent to underestimating. One of the reasons why Peterson is so big is that there's an implicit assumption that he's a Very Serious And Intellectual Man, which is why he got fawning profiles left and right, among other things. Attacking his writings in the conventional fashion is ineffective because of that very reputation. Peterson takes regular old traditionalist/conservative talking points and wraps them in a couple dozen pages of academic-sounding verbiage for justification. That justification is often fallacious or just outright stupid, but the average fan doesn't particularly care. They like the conclusion (because it's tailor-made to appeal to them), so they don't really bother to further critically engage with the reasoning behind it. It looks thorough and detailed at first glance, and after all Peterson is a Smart And Learned Man, so it has to have merit. That means they'll only accept something similarly wordy and detailed as a rebuttal. But the problem is that only few people are actually willing to actually read so many words, so that kind of argument will barely reach anybody.

For example, take the whole lobster hierarchy idea of his. The only real rebuttal you'd need there is "Lobsters aren't people, dipshit". But Peterson spent thousands of words wanking about that theory, so his fans will assume that it is in fact a solid and scientific argument, and that any rebuttal couldn't possibly be that simple. So then you're forced to delve into greater detail about the relevance of serotonin and neurological differences between invertebrates and vertebrates and so on, and that point the audience's eyes have already glazed over because they're not going to listen to an argument that complicated if they don't already like the conclusion it'll take them to. This is further exacerbated by Peterson's habit of being a weasel-wording gently caress who will backpedal at the drop of a hat. His fans don't care about that either. To them, it only matters that he totally showed up that dumb liberal right then, while happily ignoring that Peterson basically abandoned his original position in the process.

So instead, you chip away at that reputation. Find those times where he is obviously and inarguably dumb in a spectacular fashion and hammer them home. Show people that his statements don't have automatic merit just because he's a professor who can poo poo out a couple thousand words on command. That one interview with the enforced monogamy was actually remarkably effective in that regard. Even die-hard fans could not deny that these were remarkably stupid statements, and the best they managed to do was wind themselves in contortions arguing that the paper's editor should have gone out of his way to make Peterson sound less dumb.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I'm all for masturbation. Just don't claim you're actually loving, cause you're not, and don't do it in public, cause it's not a good look.

hard won life experiences courtesy of cingulate

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Das Deutsche GG wurde heute vor 69 Jahren festgesetzt.

Nice.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

You are, of course, technically correct, the term "genetics" is older than, uh ... genetics.

I fear I'm about to get fishmeched here.

lmao imagine being so far up your own rear end that you refer to peterson's fanclub as "disenfranchised young men"

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Jordan Peterson should be guillotined; as an academic myself, that guy pushes my buttons something fierce.

I KILL YOU DARGON

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The thing is that the young men that are lapping up Peterson's proclamations already have a terrible, entitled worldview, and giving them point by point rebuttals isn't going to help, because they can just run to YouTube or reddit and find solace in their confirmation bubble.

Non-idiotic responses to the problems Peterson addresses already exist, his fans have consciously chosen him because he tells them they don't have to change and the world owes them reverence for being white men.

Ridiculing them isn't going to help them either, to be fair, but it's at least cathartic.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pidan posted:

The thing is that the young men that are lapping up Peterson's proclamations already have a terrible, entitled worldview, and giving them point by point rebuttals isn't going to help, because they can just run to YouTube or reddit and find solace in their confirmation bubble.

Non-idiotic responses to the problems Peterson addresses already exist, his fans have consciously chosen him because he tells them they don't have to change and the world owes them reverence for being white men.

Ridiculing them isn't going to help them either, to be fair, but it's at least cathartic.
Oh, I also have little faith in point by point rebuttals being effective. I would instead make empty overly optimistic gestures towards the old leftist idea of positive alternatives. „Eine andere Welt ist möglich“ etc.

Currently, Peterson’s story for young disenfranchised men is “the world is a sexist cutthroat godless capitalist hellscape and I’m gonna tell you how to navigate it”, and the dominant, consensu, mainstream left story for them is ”the world is a sexist cutthroat godless capitalist hellscape and I’m demanding you make it even worse for people like you, because gently caress you for being a privileged straight white male”.
It is unsurprising not everyone is convinced by that latter story.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I don't think that that's actually the dominant left-wing story

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I don't want to make them into left wingers necessarily, just maybe get their life advice from some less horrible source.

I mean "clean your room, take joy in incremental improvements, be virtuous" is advice you can get from any number of places, including probably your mom, most religions and a million self help books. It's also not hard to figure out that western culture has produced great art and music. Everything else he says is garbage.

E: I mean this is literally a guy who goes around saying "women are weaker and (statistically :hurr:) dumber than you, so it is right that they should fear you and obey you". Even if his fans became conservative evangelicals that would be an improvement over listening to him.

pidan fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 24, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Oh, I also have little faith in point by point rebuttals being effective. I would instead make empty overly optimistic gestures towards the old leftist idea of positive alternatives. „Eine andere Welt ist möglich“ etc.

Currently, Peterson’s story for young disenfranchised men is “the world is a sexist cutthroat godless capitalist hellscape and I’m gonna tell you how to navigate it”,

No, it's not.

quote:

and the dominant, consensus, mainstream left story for them is ”the world is a sexist cutthroat godless capitalist hellscape and I’m demanding you make it even worse for people like you, because gently caress you for being a privileged straight white male”.

Holy loving lmao no it's not.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pidan posted:

I don't want to make them into left wingers necessarily, just maybe get their life advice from some less horrible source.

I mean "clean your room, take joy in incremental improvements, be virtuous" is advice you can get from any number of places, including probably your mom, most religions and a million self help books. It's also not hard to figure out that western culture has produced great art and music. Everything else he says is garbage.

E: I mean this is literally a guy who goes around saying "women are weaker and (statistically :hurr:) dumber than you, so it is right that they should fear you and obey you". Even if his fans became conservative evangelicals that would be an improvement over listening to him.
You’re right, me phrasing this as a left vs right thing is partisan and shortsighted of me.

I think you’re wrong on the last point. Peterson, i bet, doesn’t say women are less intelligent on average. He’s saying they’re less assertive (which is, as a description of the society we live in, obviously correct), more driven to achieve high status positions, more sociopathic, and probably that men have higher variance, meaning more idiotis and more geniuses.

He’s an insane reactionary, but misrepresenting him will not do.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Smirr posted:

I don't think that that's actually the dominant left-wing story
It effectively is. That is what people are hearing.

„Because they’re terrible people!“

Congrats, you have successfully labeled them. Now your options are:
- feel even more smug and be even more ineffective
- re-education camps
- ..?

az
Dec 2, 2005

its like a german fishmech that picks even worse hills to die on

look at this thread, hill after bloody hill with spiked corpses of cingulate on them

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Cingulate posted:

What the gently caress how is this an argument

quote:

- re-education camps
Sounds great, let's do this, op

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

„Because they’re terrible people!“

Congrats, you have successfully labeled them. Now your options are:
- feel even more smug and be even more ineffective
- re-education camps
- ..?

Petersen wants to force young men into marriage against their will. Sounds like he is already half the way there to implementing re-education camps. The other side doing the same would just restore the balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Cingulate lying about a thing just so he can argue semantics about the thing woooooooow