Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Frabba posted:

How do you feel about tanks who don't use their defensive cooldowns?

Protect vs Defensive Cooldowns:

One of them's knocking maybe 700 damage off a tankbuster, the other's making it so you don't drop dead the second the 8 mobs chasing you catch up.

You can decide for yourself which is which.

Remove Protect or directly swap it for its PVP counter part, which is actively engaging and would make a tangible difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
even if protect winds up mitigating like three cures at the end of a dungeon it was 'worth it', and the effect on tank defense is non-negligible and will only get moreso

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I don't heal tanks that run off before I can cast protect because anything that sacrifices even one percent of one holy cast can get the gently caress out of my dungeon.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Protect vs Defensive Cooldowns:

One of them's knocking maybe 700 damage off a tankbuster, the other's making it so you don't drop dead the second the 8 mobs chasing you catch up.

You can decide for yourself which is which.

Remove Protect or directly swap it for its PVP counter part, which is actively engaging and would make a tangible difference.

What is the actual percentage reduction in damage from protect? People are throwing around the "It's worthless" statements but I've not really seen hard numbers for why it is worthless. Google was suggesting Protect is a 15% reduction in damage which is why I posted the comparison.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's 15 percent defense up, which isn't 15 percent mitigation

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
People throw around like 4-6% -ish numbers for a tank at 70, but gently caress if I'm going to research it myself because that would be infinitely harder than just hitting the button.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it's 15 percent defense up, which isn't 15 percent mitigation

That would explain that, then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Basically, there's no reason to not cast protect and there's no reason to have protect paralysis and refuse to move until you have it.

The latter group are the bigger pissbabies when you come across them in-game, which actively makes me become one of the former.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 18, 2017

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Basically, there's no reason to not cast protect and there's no reason to have protect paralysis and refuse to move until you have it.

The latter group are the bigger pissbabies when you come across them in-game, which actively makes me become one of the first.

That's just letting them win, stay strong comrade!

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I get mad at people who don't eat food in dungeons.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Whether or not protect is valuable, it's 5 seconds of pointless busywork that doesn't require any decision making or considerations. It's like rogue poisons, something you apply and forget about, except those even got baked into the class.

They should either scrap it or make it more like the PVP version, which is a temporary damage reduction buff for the WHM's target.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I throw Protect up at the start but I don't get paranoid about keeping it up if a DPS falls off a cliff and runs back or whatever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fister Roboto posted:

And then I requeued instantly.

I had an LDR in the Level 38 sands dungeon with the Chimera at the end, and the tank (who apologized profusely for being rusty at the beginning) after the first boss and midway through the mob pulls stops and spent 3 minutes typing out about how casting Regen causes a lot of threat and all of this other bullshit as I died.

I was casting Aero to pull mobs with the INSANE assumption that he'd grab them with Flash when they ran past him. A bridge too far.

If you're gonna complain at me, at least name the appropriate crime I'm committing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frabba posted:

What is the actual percentage reduction in damage from protect? People are throwing around the "It's worthless" statements but I've not really seen hard numbers for why it is worthless. Google was suggesting Protect is a 15% reduction in damage which is why I posted the comparison.

For some actual numbers, you get 0.1% damage reduction for every 14-15 points of defense at level 70. As a tank in full 340 gear, I have 5066 defense, so that's almost exactly 35% reduction. With protect, that becomes 5826 defense, or 40.2% mitigation. When you compare the damage you take without protect to the damage you take with it, it's only an 8% reduction. For classes that have less defense, or at lower ilevels, the amount of mitigation protect provides will be significantly less. Of course the opposite is true, and as ilevels increase, protect will be slightly more effective. But that time is not now, and certainly not in a level 61 leveling dungeon.

And also the bottom line here is that if your healer is keeping you alive without protect, don't whine about not having protect!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What if protect was a passive skill everyone grouped with a healer automatically got?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Fister Roboto posted:

And then I requeued instantly.

I usually stand around for a while waiting for Protect when I tank, not so much because I need it but because I assume the healer's AFK or fiddling with gear or something. Also, it takes like three seconds to fire off a macro.

burexas.irom posted:

To reach Mordor, my friend Frodo, you must first traverse Something Awful: a country entirely made up of the weirdest hills to die on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

For some actual numbers, you get 0.1% damage reduction for every 14-15 points of defense at level 70. As a tank in full 340 gear, I have 5066 defense, so that's almost exactly 35% reduction. With protect, that becomes 5826 defense, or 40.2% mitigation. When you compare the damage you take without protect to the damage you take with it, it's only an 8% reduction. For classes that have less defense, or at lower ilevels, the amount of mitigation protect provides will be significantly less. Of course the opposite is true, and as ilevels increase, protect will be slightly more effective. But that time is not now, and certainly not in a level 61 leveling dungeon.

And also the bottom line here is that if your healer is keeping you alive without protect, don't whine about not having protect!

It'll only be slightly more effective in content you're already out-gearing though. Current content is still going to be tuned for higher gear levels so the general effectiveness of Protect in actual relevant content is going to remain pretty much horizontal.

Protect is balanced around being largely negligible on tanks and non existent on non-tanks, and that's something they're going to maintain.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When I'm tanking, the only reason I don't carry forward momentum at all times outside of a fight (in non-trial/raid content) is phone calls/wc breaks.

I don't need protect, I don't need to hang around, get in, get out. We're not waiting for your GL3 to fall off because I want Fight or Flight up on pull or any of that similar nonsense.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Make protect a palisade clone that works on both damage types.

I actually love using Palisade because it makes a difference on large pulls.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I was told to update people of my story progress, so here I am doing that.

No, seriously, me faffing around forever didn't really factor into something scripted like that, it would have happened regardless, but it sure does make the whole thing have an extra punch to the gut because I can fill in the blanks in my own story and say I was faffing around too long to get back and stop everyone from dying.

Also, having a character I got to know in my adventures beforehand like Noraxia be the one to die added a bunch more heartwrenching sad to the whole thing. I cant imagine how the game could possibly make me feel worse.

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 18, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh my god I can't believe I'm dying on this hill, truly this will be the end of me.

*requeues immediately*

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Make Protect a physical barrier that gets placed around the tank so they can't move

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
As a tank if the healer won't 'tect me I drop the group and spend the next 30 minutes jerking my micro penis.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh my god I can't believe I'm dying on this hill, truly this will be the end of me.

*requeues immediately*

But enough about Ramuh Extreme...

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I refuse to move at the start of a dungeon until I've rolled a Bole on Spread + 200% Royal Road for the tank

Delete Protect, bring back Stoneskin

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 18, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I stop pulling until the other party members pass on the loot so I can have at least 3000 seals at the end of the run. If they dare greed, I go AFK even if I win.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's all poop, not like cleric stance is doing much either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Most of them time people ask for protect, I just say {Don't worry about it.} and that's the end of it, because I somehow manage to keep them all alive in spite of that.

But every now and then I get people who for whatever reason get really mad about it, despite nobody dying. That's what makes this worth doing for me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
When it sucks is when the tank and healer go at it and the dps have to sit there and twiddle thumbs.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Rascyc posted:

When it sucks is when the tank and healer go at it and the dps have to sit there and twiddle thumbs.

Can't say anything either cause if you rock the boat and get kicked you're in a 30 minute queue.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will say that the randoms I meet in the post-50 content tend to be much more miserable and lovely than everyone I met on the way up

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I stop pulling until the other party members pass on the loot so I can have at least 3000 seals at the end of the run. If they dare greed, I go AFK even if I win.

Good idea, I'll have to remember that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
are Oils of Time and the stuff like that from the Crystal Tower worth anything these days, or just buy i120 gear and move on?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Most of them time people ask for protect, I just say {Don't worry about it.} and that's the end of it, because I somehow manage to keep them all alive in spite of that.

But every now and then I get people who for whatever reason get really mad about it, despite nobody dying. That's what makes this worth doing for me.

I've found opportunities to be an rear end in a top hat come up organically at a frightening pace. I don't need to create extra. I cast protect not because it's a great skill, but because it's not like I'm awash in other great cross class options, and frankly just mashing the button means I get to spend less time talking to retards I don't know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

See that's the thing though, I'm doing my job, which is to keep people alive. It doesn't matter how as long as it happens. The assholes are the ones saying that I'm not doing my job because I didn't give them a safety blanket too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Kashuno posted:

are Oils of Time and the stuff like that from the Crystal Tower worth anything these days, or just buy i120 gear and move on?

Sands turn non-dyeable versions of the seal armor into dyeable ones if you want a glamour.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

See that's the thing though, I'm doing my job, which is to keep people alive. It doesn't matter how as long as it happens. The assholes are the ones saying that I'm not doing my job because I didn't give them a safety blanket too.

Here's the thing. Pubs aren't going to know you from any other healer in the game, nor do they give a poo poo about %DR in real applications or whatever. They don't care. What they do care about is you not doing what healers almost always do, which is cast protect at the start of a dungeon. Right/Wrong/Indifferent, who gives a poo poo it is about not starting the run on a bad note. I get it, it's a useless and annoying waste of a slot that serves no purpose other to make people feel better, but sometimes that's what people need. It's easier to just not worry about it, do what people have expected healers to do since 2.0, and chill.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Okay. Unless you're a lot more internet famous than I am aware nobody who queues with you blindly is going to know you're going to keep them alive and not that you're not an inept healer who doesn't know what they're doing, especially since Protect is cast at the very start of a dungeon before you'd have any chance to prove your worth. They just see someone who is refusing to spend five seconds to cast a buff and then getting snippy about it because you're trying to prove a point that is entirely meaningless to prove. ("The relative protection of Protect is not actually significant.") Even if you're right (and you are) there's still no reason not to cast it beyond laziness because it's trivial to macro it.

You're being an rear end in a top hat to people for literally no reason or benefit. It's not even like you're trying to get people to stop using an actively bad and detrimental skill. You're trying to get them to stop using one which is just a boring small buff. There's no reason NOT to cast it. It's just not anywhere as essential as people make it out to be.