Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ddraig posted:

The best Retro Platformer is Bionic Commando Rearmed, which realized there's more to 'old school' than pixel graphics, and managed to make a properly retro platformer that looks stunning.

Has an amazing soundtrack too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPtHTroVWPM

I knew what track you would link before I clicked on it, thank you :)

It really is a great game and a nice update of the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It's almost as though that cartridge's value is artificially inflated by its scarcity or something, a problem that a digitally distributed game like Shovel Knight doesn't have. v:shobon:v

But yeah, video games are a multi-sensory medium, and visuals do matter despite what the "it's all about the gameplay" crowd says. Indie games are coming out at the $15 price point with some pretty stunning modern 3D graphics nowadays, and even 2D pixel games like Binding of Isaac Rebirth have stuff like dynamic lighting and the ability to show dozens of moving sprites on the screen at once. Charging $15 for a game with basic pixel graphics is just lazy.

Oh boy judging a games value by its graphic style :allears:. Dumb and petty as hell.

Christ now I'm remembering when people were freaking out over how skyrim was 5 gigs and people were like " WTF Bethesda, $60 for 5 gigs of gameplay?".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The graphics vs gameplay debate has been around for so long that it starts to get silly. Imagine the Playstation 1 games that it was argued over. Now go back and look at those games and try not to wince at the graphics people were campaigning for.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I was playing Vagrant Story the other day and the only thing I'm wincing at is that butt windows in pants aren't standard now. :colbert:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

The graphics vs gameplay debate has been around for so long that it starts to get silly. Imagine the Playstation 1 games that it was argued over. Now go back and look at those games and try not to wince at the graphics people were campaigning for.

I think PS1-era graphics are pretty cool, actually. I think it'd be cool if early PS1 blocky 3D graphics became the next big thing for "bad graphics for the sake of nostalgia" indies instead of half-assed pixel art.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
MyExperienceWithSteam.gif

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Freak Futanari posted:

I think PS1-era graphics are pretty cool, actually. I think it'd be cool if early PS1 blocky 3D graphics became the next big thing for "bad graphics for the sake of nostalgia" indies instead of half-assed pixel art.
Evoland did that and uhhh hmm

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I didn't think Shovel Knight was worth $15 because I thought it was a bad game. :shrug:

Unless you have SERIOUS NOSTALGIA for Mega Man, you won't enjoy it. And the people who are selling it/talking up how great it is are people who love Mega Man so much they gladly bought Shovel Knight on release day.

Wait until it's like $5, it'll eventually go down in price.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Mike the TV posted:

MyExperienceWithSteam.gif

Did you have a game running at the time?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Malek posted:

Did you have a game running at the time?

No. And it happens with every game I download. If I get lucky it'll keep downloading for an hour, but it will always pause by itself again. Most of the time it's just like in the gif- a few seconds of download at a time.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Mike the TV posted:

No. And it happens with every game I download. If I get lucky it'll keep downloading for an hour, but it will always pause by itself again. Most of the time it's just like in the gif- a few seconds of download at a time.

Did you try changing your download region? It doesn't affect the store or anything.
Removing ClientRegistry.blob from your Steam installation directory often seems to solve weird issues.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

Set more then one download up. For some reason the downloader is bugged right now and constantly attempts to switch to a different game if your connection drops at all. If there aren't any other games it will just stop. Still takes forever, but switching between the two games actually works.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Conversely, I don't like Megaman but I liked Shovel Knight. I liked Ducktales and Rescue Rangers though. Never liked Castlevania. Judging a games value versus other games value is kind of silly. For instance, I payed $3 for Red Faction Guerrilla the other day. That doesn't mean I expect Shovel Knight to be 500% better.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 6, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rookersh posted:

I didn't think Shovel Knight was worth $15 because I thought it was a bad game. :shrug:

Unless you have SERIOUS NOSTALGIA for Mega Man, you won't enjoy it. And the people who are selling it/talking up how great it is are people who love Mega Man so much they gladly bought Shovel Knight on release day.

It's not really like Megaman at all though. Even with the Megaman composer doing some of the music!

The Shovel Knight devs also said they're not lowering the price until they've put all the stretch goal bonuses in, so you may be waiting a while.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, if you're not sold on Shovel Knight from the screenshots - because the screenshots basically tell you exactly what you can expect from the game - then you probably won't like it. It's very blatant nostalgia pandering and in no way a modern game that your average person would feel was a good deal for $15 when two- to three- year old AAA games drop to $20 so quickly.

It's not about "graphics vs gameplay," as though one makes the entire package worth it and the other is utterly irrelevant, but instead about how the whole package comes together as an experience. And $15 for a retro 8-bit chiptune game is just too much for the type of experience that the game offers - unless you're already predisposed to enjoying retro 8-bit chiptune games.

To use an analogy, it's kind of like Spiderweb Software RPGs. They're good games for the niche audience that they pander to, but like hell I would recommend plunking down $20 for the latest one unless you really like old-school isometric RPGs.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm going to be giving Insanity's Blade a quick stab here if anyone wants to see arms pulled off and used as weapons.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Underwhelmd/

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Someone tell me there's a way to turn off the voices for Freedom Planet.

This game in general has an insanely loud baseline audio. I have the sound slider at 20% and I still have to turn my speakers way down.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm bad at games and will never see more than the first few levels of Shovel Knight so I might as well wait :shrug:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I'm interested on this thread most valuable opinions about Desktop Dungeon and Binding of Isaac $15 pricetag. TIA.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tafferling posted:

I'm interested on this thread most valuable opinions about Desktop Dungeon and Binding of Isaac $15 pricetag. TIA.
Didn't Play Desktop Dungeons.
Isaac:Rebirth is my GOTY

Hope this helps.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I've never played a Megaman game or any NES platformer and I liked it.

There are a lot of experiences that could shape a person to perceive a game as Good or Bad, it doesn't have to be a single criterion like nostalgic appeal. I can definitely understand why the game would be unappealing, but I wanted to argue that attachment for the reference material is not necessarily a requirement.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Tafferling posted:

Desktop Dungeons is fantastic, left me wanting for even more content (on top of the already pretty humongous amount).

Isaac is.. well, mechanically it's fantastic too, but it's basically intentionally made as disgusting as humanly possible. You'll be digging through poo poo, fighting aborted babies with piss pools & fetuses. I'd love the game if it the theme wasn't so unappealing. (Someone please make a "not disgusting" mod for this)

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 6, 2014

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Shovel Knight is a well-designed 2D retro platformer with tight controls, okay-ish boss fights and great music. I got $15 out of it easy, and I'm not a Megaman fan by any means. Well, I played a lot of X, but that's a completely different beast. Probably the second best platformer I played recently - and that's because Rayman Legends is fantastic.

Tafferling posted:

BoI: yeah.
Desktop Dungeons: probably yeah if you like puzzle games?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Eruonen posted:

Did you try changing your download region? It doesn't affect the store or anything.
Removing ClientRegistry.blob from your Steam installation directory often seems to solve weird issues.

I've tried these and they didn't work. :(

Rookersh posted:

Set more then one download up. For some reason the downloader is bugged right now and constantly attempts to switch to a different game if your connection drops at all. If there aren't any other games it will just stop. Still takes forever, but switching between the two games actually works.

This got me thinking it might be my lovely wireless card dropping the connection for a split second and Steam freaking, so I went through the settings and fiddled with power-off buttons. I got my hopes up because the download went for 5 minutes before stopping again. Next step is to try hard-lining my pc to my modem, but I need an ethernet cable.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Zedd posted:

Didn't Play Desktop Dungeons.
Isaac:Rebirth is my GOTY

Hope this helps.

B-but the graphics :negative:

They're both fantastic games, I was just being a bit of an rear end and poking the hornet's nest but everybody seems to love them. :(

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Advice wanted on Steam problem: suddenly yesterday the Steam search box stopped showing the adhoc list of games. Instead, I now how to press return and get to the search results page. This happens both in web page browser and the Steam client. I've tried re-logging, and rebooting. Didn't help. What's going on??

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, that's the thing, if you're not sold on Shovel Knight from the screenshots - because the screenshots basically tell you exactly what you can expect from the game - then you probably won't like it. It's very blatant nostalgia pandering and in no way a modern game that your average person would feel was a good deal for $15 when two- to three- year old AAA games drop to $20 so quickly.
Then all games are worthless because they'll all be $1 in a Humble Bundle someday

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Then all games are worthless because they'll all be $1 in a Humble Bundle someday

Except that's not what I said at all. What I'm saying is, "I think this game is a good value for my money therefore EVERYONE will think so too and you are A Terrible Person if you don't support the developer(s) with your $15 so that they can make more retro 8-bit chiptune games for me" is a fallacy. If you asked your average person whether they'd have a AAA-production value game or a 2D 8-bit retro chiptune game, which do you think they'd get the best experience out of?

E: Also, BoI: Rebirth is easily my GotY too. But only if you can look past the dead baby poop aspect of the visuals.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 6, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you asked your average person whether they'd have a AAA-production value game or a 2D 8-bit retro chiptune game, which do you think they'd get the best experience out of?
I don't know because everyone has different tastes and this is a really stupid question

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dropbear posted:

Isaac is.. well, mechanically it's fantastic too, but it's basically intentionally made as disgusting as humanly possible. You'll be digging through poo poo, fighting aborted babies with piss pools & fetuses. I'd love the game if it the theme wasn't so unappealing. (Someone please make a "not disgusting" mod for this)
Yeah, this is pretty much the only reason that I haven't purchased the game yet. This is one of the few games where I almost feel "dirty" for playing it or watching gameplay videos.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I don't know because everyone has different tastes and this is a really stupid question

Except sales tell the tale that they'd prefer the AAA experience. It's not a valid question, but it certainly has an identifiable answer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wouldn't sales tell us that people really love DayZ and Minecraft? I don't even know what this discussion is anymore but it's getting more and more dumb

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Some of you need to update to the beta client so I can watch you play various anime dating sims :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wouldn't sales tell us that people really love DayZ and Minecraft? I don't even know what this discussion is anymore but it's getting more and more dumb

Candy Crush, more likely. All this discussion has been doing is getting you riled up.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DayZ and Minecraft are open multiplayer sandbox games that can last you for months, even years. Shovel Knight is a ~5 hour retro platformer pandering to the nostalgia of the NES era. It's not really fair to compare them.

I liked Shovel Knight, but It's pandering very specifically to the nostalgia of the NES area, and I don't think anyone who doesn't care about that will think much of it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Some of you need to update to the beta client so I can watch you play various anime dating sims :colbert:
I am absolutely gonna stream Hatoful Boyfriend next week during my lunch break, I will trust on the wise goon hivemind to steer me through the troubles of the heart

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I am absolutely gonna stream Hatoful Boyfriend next week during my lunch break, I will trust on the wise goon hivemind to steer me through the troubles of the heart

I heard the ending to this game is like Skynet/Matrix levels of wtf. Are you playing as a bird, too? I don't understand the premise. Are you a giant pigeon in High School?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Drifter posted:

I heard the ending to this game is like Skynet/Matrix levels of wtf. Are you playing as a bird, too? I don't understand the premise. Are you a giant pigeon in High School?

Yes, I am.

Edit: Oh, in the game? I dunno.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Drifter posted:

You're the only human student in the school. (You know, instead of something like being the only wizard, or the only girl/boy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Drifter posted:

Are you playing as a bird, too? I don't understand the premise. Are you a giant pigeon in High School?
You play as a boy, the first boy to be accepted into Pigeon High School in fact.

• Locked thread