Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat is not a mental illness,

lacking empathy and finding satisfaction in other people’s unhappiness is not normal behavior for a psychologically healthy person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was running my squadron through WP, and the tank just goes completely clownshoes on the last boss. I have to keep spamming disengage/engage otherwise my tank runs to one of the recent adds, then back to the boss, then to a different add that's been one-shot by me already, back to the tank, etc.

Still had to do the boss with just the healer from 40% down. Tank couldn't hold aggro on the boss, other dps took it and died, and the healer didn't cast protect or something so the tank died.

It does that. They really need to add more commands for the more complex fights. Even a focus target command would help. Altair is also brutal because the tank doesn't know how to address its mechanic either, but at least disengage works for that fight.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 18, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

super sweet best pal posted:

It does that. They really need to add more commands for the more complex fights. Altair is also brutal because the tank doesn't know how to address its mechanic either, but at least disengage works for that fight.

They should make them react to marks, like if you whack a "1" mark above something the squadron should focus on it to the exclusion of all else. Lord knows marks do sod all else these days. Maybe also make them react to the floor ones somehow.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lacking empathy and finding satisfaction in other people’s unhappiness is not normal behavior for a psychologically healthy person

Getting a rise out of stuff like this means you are fully aware of how upset someone is made by this. So there’s no “lack of empathy” involved.

Psychologically unhealthy people are ill and suffering from their illness. Assholes are assholes.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
jesus christ a guy prefers different role actions than you do on healer and you're all rolling out the loving DSM V codes

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
"hmm, yes, this black mage isn't taking manashift, looks like we have a case of good 'ol F02.81 MAJOR NEUROCOGNITIVE DISORDER DUE TO MULTIPLE ETIOLOGIES, WITH BEHAVORIAL DISTURBANCE"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean you should probably not die on this hill and just slot protect instead of esuna, but c'mon

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Reiterpallasch posted:

"hmm, yes, this black mage isn't taking manashift, looks like we have a case of good 'ol F02.81 MAJOR NEUROCOGNITIVE DISORDER DUE TO MULTIPLE ETIOLOGIES, WITH BEHAVORIAL DISTURBANCE"
You got your codes mixed up, that's the Dragoon one

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you really think it’s about his role actions and not his nigh-impulsive obsession with being a huge rear end in a top hat for no reason, i’m afraid you’ve missed the forest for the trees, my dude

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ryde posted:

The quoted 5% damage reduction on tank seems significant, so I'm not sure why people are saying its useless. Its not going to be the deciding factor for a competent party, but why make things harder than they need to be?

It's not insignificant, sure, but in practical terms it translates to maybe getting one less Gravity or Holy off during a big pull. Maybe.

And really, I'll make things harder for myself if I feel like it. Maybe I like the added challenge? (I do) I could be healing while blindfolded and tapdancing and it would absolutely nobody else's business unless I let them die.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Reiterpallasch posted:

i mean you should probably not die on this hill and just slot protect instead of esuna, but c'mon

Thankfully it's not a choice because you're free to change them as much as you want.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
refusing to slot protect when asked to is one of the dumbest hills in this game to die on, but we don't think it's reasonable to votekick people for being stubborn when asked to slot manashift or use warden's paeon or cast a lb on trash or stop clemency-ing themselves or a million other things that hurt party performance.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Sometimes it is even ok to not give out Commendations because everyone was bad at things.

I've done that before.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
we've all, like, apparently collectively decided that refusing to protect when asked to is never ok and you've got a personality disorder if you get mulish about it, but by that standard literally every paladin i've ever asked to stop casting clemency has had more issues than a whole psych ward

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'll fully admit that I've got a whole slew of brain problems, but not doing something unnecessary just because people want me to is not one of them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Let me all tell you about the incredible power of spite.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll fully admit that I've got a whole slew of brain problems

we know

sleepyfish
Apr 1, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if you really think it’s about his role actions and not his nigh-impulsive obsession with being a huge rear end in a top hat for no reason, i’m afraid you’ve missed the forest for the trees, my dude

man i miss kelly edits

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ok, here's a concrete example.

my healer setup is swiftcast, lucid dreaming, surecast, protect, largesse.

this is suboptimal in dungeons--e4e is insanely strong in large pulls and i should be dropping surecast for it. i don't do this, because i'm terrified of forgetting to change it back and dying hilariously in raid when surecast doesn't go off. by refusing to slot e4e for my own dumb personal reasons, i apparently have like super mega brain problems--even worse than fister's, because e4e is way better than protect.

i don't think it's reasonable for a lynch mob to show up on my forums account because i have personal reasons i want to use a different goddamn set of role actions and would rather not switch. the only reason the mob doesn't show up is because it's impossible to check whether someone has e4e slotted at the beginning of a dungeon run. with or without e4e, i'm probably better than most healers you're gonna get in exdr anyway, so maybe you'd like to give me a goddamn chance before jumping down my throat??

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

That's all I see in Alliance Roulettes these days!

The tanks still pull it north in almost every LotA I run in TYOOL 2017. Lots of pubbies still don't realize you can burn it and heal though the damage at this point.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
do you really think this is about his not casting protect?

spoilers: it's not. you can tell this, because it is a message i used my 'words' to convey, much in the same way Fister has used his 'words' to convey the concise message of 'i'm a huge rear end in a top hat' time and time again

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

ok, here's a concrete example.

my healer setup is swiftcast, lucid dreaming, surecast, protect, largesse.

this is suboptimal in dungeons--e4e is insanely strong in large pulls and i should be dropping surecast for it. i don't do this, because i'm terrified of forgetting to change it back and dying hilariously in raid when surecast doesn't go off. by refusing to slot e4e for my own dumb personal reasons, i apparently have like super mega brain problems--even worse than fister's, because e4e is way better than protect.

i don't think it's reasonable for a lynch mob to show up on my forums account because i have personal reasons i want to use a different goddamn set of role actions and would rather not switch. the only reason the mob doesn't show up is because it's impossible to check whether someone has e4e slotted at the beginning of a dungeon run. with or without e4e, i'm probably better than most healers you're gonna get in exdr anyway, so maybe you'd like to give me a goddamn chance before jumping down my throat??

You do realize it’s not about protect or ANY skill right?

sleepyfish
Apr 1, 2014

it's actually about ethics in leveling dungeons

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
he said one goddamn thing in party chat, which was "no thanks", so i guess two of these "words"

what you're really mad about is that he poo poo up the thread with a chatlog and was uppity enough to get defensive when people started yelling at him for it instead of committing hara-kiri like you apparently want him to do because you have a hateboner for the guy. i'd get defensive too if people were diagnosing me with brainworms about a video game on the internet.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
so yes, i was deliberately trying to nudge the conversation away from brainworms/why fister roboto sucks, and towards game mechanics because i find the former topic kind of distasteful and it's gone on for long enough. i was making a deliberately otiose argument in service of this aim. you've caught me out.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

EponymousMrYar posted:

Sometimes it is even ok to not give out Commendations because everyone was bad at things.

I've done that before.

I would commend myself every time if I could. I never give less than 105%. The extra 5% is from protect.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

do you really think this is about his not casting protect?

For my part, no, I don't think that. I am just curious as to why a bunch of goons are calling Protect useless when 5% dmg reduction seems useful, and I don't really care about all the drama. When we were talking about uselessness I was thinking < 1% reduction or something along those lines, and so I thought I was missing something.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I would commend myself every time if I could. I never give less than 105%. The extra 5% is from protect.

My new hobby is always commending the DPS.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"brainworms"

"brain problems"

god loving drat

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if only there were some way, i'm not sure how, where someone's behavior could be unknown to us? of course, this is a fantasy, as we are goons and as such must post our cringiest self-owning chatlogs for regular goon review

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Goons needlessly diagnosing people with brain problems over trivial poo poo is like the cosmic microwave background of the forums.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ryde posted:

For my part, no, I don't think that. I am just curious as to why a bunch of goons are calling Protect useless when 5% dmg reduction seems useful, and I don't really care about all the drama. When we were talking about uselessness I was thinking < 1% reduction or something along those lines, and so I thought I was missing something.

So dropping out of shitposting mode for a second, this is a question that actually deserves an answer.

From the healer's perspective, FF14 acts on discrete quanta of time--since I'm casting once every 2.5 seconds or so, time may as well be divided into 2.5 second slices to me. During a pull, I cast a certain number of healing spells (Cure 2) and a certain number of damaging spells (Holy, Stone IV, Aero III). As far as the party is concerned* my contribution to the clear is in minimizing the number of "useless" cure spells without actually letting anyone die. So a Protect is only going to be useful if it lets me convert one of those "useless" healing spells into damaging spells.

Now, at level cap, a skilled White Mage's healing output is going to come primarily from Benediction, Tetra, Assize, and the free "virtual" healing of Holy (damage the mobs aren't doing when they're stunned may as well be healed). I'm already not casting very many Cure 2s--maybe 3 or 4 during the pull if the DPS is slow. Decreasing the number of Cure 2s I have to cast by 5% isn't accomplishing anything, because it doesn't add up to a full cast of Cure 2 anyway. I'm still wasting as many casts on not-doing-damage as I was before.

* caveat: tanks that get low tend to freak out and play incompetently, doing things like clemency-ing themselves and hitting all of their cooldowns at once. there's an art to not letting pubbie tanks get low enough they feel compelled to panic.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't understand why goons being goons in MMOs merits multi-page derails about how the typical things goons do in MMOs is wrong.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

if only there were some way, i'm not sure how, where someone's behavior could be unknown to us? of course, this is a fantasy, as we are goons and as such must post our cringiest self-owning chatlogs for regular goon review

"someone's publicly displayed behavior implies psychological problems" -- person on hour 3 and page 4 of public internet forum argument over protect, lack thereof, dsm v codes associated with

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Reiterpallasch posted:

So dropping out of shitposting mode for a second, this is a question that actually deserves an answer.

From the healer's perspective, FF14 acts on discrete quanta of time--since I'm casting once every 2.5 seconds or so, time may as well be divided into 2.5 second slices to me. During a pull, I cast a certain number of healing spells (Cure 2) and a certain number of damaging spells (Holy, Stone IV, Aero III). As far as the party is concerned* my contribution to the clear is in minimizing the number of "useless" cure spells without actually letting anyone die. So a Protect is only going to be useful if it lets me convert one of those "useless" healing spells into damaging spells.

Now, at level cap, a skilled White Mage's healing output is going to come primarily from Benediction, Tetra, Assize, and the free "virtual" healing of Holy (damage the mobs aren't doing when they're stunned may as well be healed). I'm already not casting very many Cure 2s--maybe 3 or 4 during the pull if the DPS is slow. Decreasing the number of Cure 2s I have to cast by 5% isn't accomplishing anything, because it doesn't add up to a full cast of Cure 2 anyway. I'm still wasting as many casts on not-doing-damage as I was before.

* caveat: tanks that get low tend to freak out and play incompetently, doing things like clemency-ing themselves and hitting all of their cooldowns at once. there's an art to not letting pubbie tanks get low enough they feel compelled to panic.

This is a good explanation.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
mitigating 5 percent damage, for free, is good, when you compare it to the alternative of 'not mitigating five percent damage for free' and the only opportunity cost is 'be willing to push a computer button'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

mitigating 5 percent damage, for free, is good, when you compare it to the alternative of 'not mitigating five percent damage for free' and the only opportunity cost is 'be willing to push a computer button'

It's good*.

*But whether it's there or not doesn't actually affect anything, outside of weird HP breakpoints.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Man people should just be nice to each other in a PvE videogame that’s all. I’m out of this crazy argument

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I just use protect as a ready check. Once the cast is finished, it's time to start pulling.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that argument doesn't make any sense, though. is vengeance useless? is shadow wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that argument doesn't make any sense, though. is vengeance useless? is shadow wall?

30% is actually more than 5%.