Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Following that, a movie of Grayson Batman who is fighting Red Hood Jason could make for a different direction of the Red Hood story, too. Instead of it being a story about a Batman vs. a Robin, it's a story of two jealous and envious estranged 'brothers' who have outgrown their youthful personas, traded them in for more mature identities and are fighting one another over what the legacy of Batman has done to and given to both of them. There's a different sort of drama there.

This is a pretty awesome idea. I dunno if it would ever happen but I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Vintersorg posted:

Don't discuss GoTG2 in this thread please. Save it for the official thread.

Sorry, is the official thread up yet?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The MSJ posted:

Looks like I have to watch GOTG2 now.

FYI, the guy who posts this also thinks Trump will kill the antichrist and calls liberals/Democrats "lucifers".

Probably because one character is vaguely suggested to be gay.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I do have to say that, while I'm hardly an objective judge here, one area the DCEU seems to absolutely stomp all over the MCU's face is in terms of music. I've only seen MoS and BvS but those two movies alone have better music than every MCu film I've seen.

The "Flight" scene and accompanying track from MoS combined to make something truly beautiful and memorable. But the whole movie had great music from start to end. It's a big reason Man of Steel is one of the best movies I've seen in a good while. A truly great piece of work needs memorable music for me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah. Back to the Future, for example, by itself is a good movie, but the score really elevates it to a timeless classic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Again, it's subject to taste. As far as I'm concerned, Alan Silvestri's work on Captain America is tops when it comes to modern superhero soundtracks.

Speaking of Back to the Future...

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Kind of hard for the bullshit Marvel scores to compete with Hans loving Zimmer

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, the guy that did the Snyder (and Nolan) movie music is selling out his concert tour around the world and just did Coachella with all of this outside of a guest appearance being all his film scores. Hard to top that right now (but he just quit doing superhero movies).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darko posted:

Yeah, the guy that did the Snyder (and Nolan) movie music is selling out his concert tour around the world and just did Coachella with all of this outside of a guest appearance being all his film scores. Hard to top that right now (but he just quit doing superhero movies).

Really? What about Wonder Woman and Justice League at least? Did the contribute music to them before stopping?

edit:

Looking it up, he quit a year or so ago... Well, that's disappointing. Still hoping for the best from WW.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 30, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I loved all the character themes in MoS and BvS. They played off each other well but were unique.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Phylodox posted:

Again, it's subject to taste. As far as I'm concerned, Alan Silvestri's work on Captain America is tops when it comes to modern superhero soundtracks.

Speaking of Back to the Future...

Can you post an example of what you consider the best music from Captain American, because I honestly can't think of a thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've still sort of felt that had they killed off Batman instead of Superman in BvS, you'd have an out for a 'new' Batman direction with a Dick Grayson Batman that gives you an excuse to do a totally different take on the Batman-type civilian alter-ego character but keep him the same sort of vigilante character.

Truth be told, Robins aren't as sort of cemented in the minds of audiences at the cinematic level, so you'd have an extra bit of room to explore the mythos through a different perspective, non-traditional casting, or a more modern take on the origins of the character. That being said, a Batman movie that's about him being willing to pass the mantle over to Dick Grayson is a possibility, or him simply assuming the role when he and Bruce both realize that Bruce's done as an everyday vigilante/superhero or Bruce has bigger JL stuff that he has to be 100% invested in.

Following that, a movie of Grayson Batman who is fighting Red Hood Jason could make for a different direction of the Red Hood story, too. Instead of it being a story about a Batman vs. a Robin, it's a story of two jealous and envious estranged 'brothers' who have outgrown their youthful personas, traded them in for more mature identities and are fighting one another over what the legacy of Batman has done to and given to both of them. There's a different sort of drama there.

I don't think Under the Red Hood would work that well if you remove Bruce from the equation. Jason only has strong ties to Bruce and Alfred and contrary to what many people could believe, Jason would rather let Dick alone than actively look for a fight.

The angle it can be exploited between Jason and Dick though, is about who has the right to continue Bruce's legacy as Batman but you'd still need to tackle Jason's return and conflict with Bruce first.

EDIT:

Also, small commentary from Reeves about film formerly known as The Batman

quote:

Lucky guy Reeves was also recently hired to helm “The Batman,” after star Ben Affleck vacated the comic book project’s director’s chair. Reeves claims he’s still too busy putting finishing touches on “War” to know exactly how he’ll be approaching the Dark Knight. But it’s safe to say he’ll be doing it with love.

“It’s a strange thing to be involved in the two franchises which were the two that I was connected to most as a child,” Reeves says. “I just was obsessed with Batman when I was a kid. What I find so interesting about him as a character is that, as far a superhero goes, he’s not superhuman, he is a person. And he is a tortured soul who is grappling with his past and trying to find a way to be in a world that has a lot that’s wrong with it and trying to find a way to reconcile all of that.

“That is a really powerful character, in the same way that Caesar is such a powerful character.”

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-e...ith-dark-knight

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 30, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can you post an example of what you consider the best music from Captain American, because I honestly can't think of a thing.

Cap's march is great. Especially in this scene:

https://youtu.be/QAoD6-CF9Jo

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Phylodox posted:

Cap's march is great. Especially in this scene:

https://youtu.be/QAoD6-CF9Jo

First Avenger is still in my top three Marvel movies. It just -got- Steve Rogers as a character.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I don't think Under the Red Hood would work that well if you remove Bruce from the equation. Jason only has strong ties to Bruce and Alfred and contrary to what many people could believe, Jason would rather let Dick alone than actively look for a fight.

The angle it can be exploited between Jason and Dick though, is about who has the right to continue Bruce's legacy as Batman but you'd still need to tackle Jason's return and conflict with Bruce first.

It could be sort of using Dick as a surrogate, though, and as I said with the films you can take the direction a little different from the absolute of the comic continuity.

To steal a bit from Young Justice, I think there's a bit where Dick explains he doesn't want to BE Batman. With Jason, you could have them more at odds over a lifetime of differences between them that just culminates in some different direction for the Red Hood storyline coupled with Dick becoming Batman.

He's mad at Bruce, sure, but if Bruce is out of the picture Dick could be his focus for a lot of reasons we could craft for the film universe. He's maybe always had an sense he was always being compared to Dick and always felt like he wasn't good enough, no matter what, and Dick taking on the role maybe sort of marks the moment that Jason focuses on Grayson.

Like I said, maybe we play with the notion that Dick doesn't WANT to be Batman. For Jason, on the other hand, maybe he sort of felt like Dick walking away from Bruce and him being trained up meant that he was being groomed for the role, that Bruce had a greater plan and a purpose for him. Just like being Batman was sort of Bruce's burden, for Dick it could be the burden of this isn't what or who HE wants to be but he knows he's the only person who can be Batman. Jason not only wants to be Batman but he doesn't see it as the burden that Bruce did psychologically or that Dick sees personally; it's a release or validation of being 'special'.

We can maybe have a lot of it be little things that just finally have hit a boiling point, post-resurrection. Maybe he admits that he was envious of Dick because Dick had a lifetime of travel, worldly experiences, training and loving parents prior to being orphaned and taken in by Bruce, and he never had any of that. He's angry that compared to the pedigree that is Dick Grayson, he's thinks that Bruce considered him just a disposable replacement. He's maybe bitter that despite Dick and Bruce having their differences, he always felt like Bruce favored the son who left over the son who stayed. Finally, when it comes to the Joker situation, the reason he might have a personal issue with Dick, the thing that we could never answer: Jason honestly thinks that if the roles were reversed, Bruce wouldn't have stopped at anything to kill the Joker and avenged the death of Robin if it was the "Boy Wonder" who had been beaten to death with a crowbar, instead of him.

You could probably work out some issues that Dick felt about Jason, too. I think you could change the story around just enough to be about two 'sons' who are both dealing with the aftermath of parental pressure, a sense of abandonment and inferiority, and coming into conflict over it and I think it could maybe end on them eventually making some peace over things they never dealt with before Jason dying. You can chalk a lot of Jason's behavior to post-resurrection mental issues or something and maybe set up a Winter Soldier-sort of role for him in the DCU or some spin-offs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

It could be sort of using Dick as a surrogate, though, and as I said with the films you can take the direction a little different from the absolute of the comic continuity.

To steal a bit from Young Justice, I think there's a bit where Dick explains he doesn't want to BE Batman. With Jason, you could have them more at odds over a lifetime of differences between them that just culminates in some different direction for the Red Hood storyline coupled with Dick becoming Batman.

He's mad at Bruce, sure, but if Bruce is out of the picture Dick could be his focus for a lot of reasons we could craft for the film universe. He's maybe always had an sense he was always being compared to Dick and always felt like he wasn't good enough, no matter what, and Dick taking on the role maybe sort of marks the moment that Jason focuses on Grayson.

Like I said, maybe we play with the notion that Dick doesn't WANT to be Batman. For Jason, on the other hand, maybe he sort of felt like Dick walking away from Bruce and him being trained up meant that he was being groomed for the role, that Bruce had a greater plan and a purpose for him. Just like being Batman was sort of Bruce's burden, for Dick it could be the burden of this isn't what or who HE wants to be but he knows he's the only person who can be Batman. Jason not only wants to be Batman but he doesn't see it as the burden that Bruce did psychologically or that Dick sees personally; it's a release or validation of being 'special'.

We can maybe have a lot of it be little things that just finally have hit a boiling point, post-resurrection. Maybe he admits that he was envious of Dick because Dick had a lifetime of travel, worldly experiences, training and loving parents prior to being orphaned and taken in by Bruce, and he never had any of that. He's angry that compared to the pedigree that is Dick Grayson, he's thinks that Bruce considered him just a disposable replacement. He's maybe bitter that despite Dick and Bruce having their differences, he always felt like Bruce favored the son who left over the son who stayed. Finally, when it comes to the Joker situation, the reason he might have a personal issue with Dick, the thing that we could never answer: Jason honestly thinks that if the roles were reversed, Bruce wouldn't have stopped at anything to kill the Joker and avenged the death of Robin if it was the "Boy Wonder" who had been beaten to death with a crowbar, instead of him.

You could probably work out some issues that Dick felt about Jason, too. I think you could change the story around just enough to be about two 'sons' who are both dealing with the aftermath of parental pressure, a sense of abandonment and inferiority, and coming into conflict over it and I think it could maybe end on them eventually making some peace over things they never dealt with before Jason dying. You can chalk a lot of Jason's behavior to post-resurrection mental issues or something and maybe set up a Winter Soldier-sort of role for him in the DCU or some spin-offs.

This is all a good post and I'd be down for it.

While I'm new to the comics, there does seem to be some legitimacy to the idea Dick was the "favorite." I dunno if this was true or not but apparently whn Bruce thinks Dick was killed, he immediately grabs a gun to go after the would-be killer.

And while these are two totally unrelated animated movies, I love Return of the Joker and Under the Red Hood and they have obvious similarities. Consider this, however. When Bruce finds Tim tortured into insanity, his first response is to hurl a knife full force and blade-first at Joker's face. That seems like obvious murderous intent to me. Didn't happen with Jason, though. Again, different Batmans and universes but i found it interesting to think about.

Also I was thinking about MoS and all the dumb whining about Supes killing Zod. Zod got off loving easy compared to his followers. To relate this to Batman, the no kill stuff is so hypocritical because the alternatives heroes have come up with are often worse than outright death.

In Red Hood, Joker mentions Batman put him in a full body cast. So basically, Batman is okay with extreme violence...but no murder? What a load of horseshit. Red Hood could call him on that.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 30, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

Really? What about Wonder Woman and Justice League at least? Did the contribute music to them before stopping?

edit:

Looking it up, he quit a year or so ago... Well, that's disappointing. Still hoping for the best from WW.

Quick, get Goblin for the Aquaman movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8NDmGPsDNM

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Renoistic posted:

First Avenger is still in my top three Marvel movies. It just -got- Steve Rogers as a character.
The first half of the movie is so good that I sometimes forget about the (still good, but less so) second half. Pretty much every complaint I've ever seen of it focuses on something in the second half.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i574Em3IrI

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

"Who will hang a noose on those goose-stepping goons from Berlin?" is unironically the best lyric from a movie song.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I liked GOTG2 quite a bit. It's interesting in that seems like what Edgar Wright wanted from his ANT-MAN movie, which was to be largely divorced from any MCU stuff. The most overt tie in is a mention of a past escapade and someone saying they wanted to kill Thanos, but that's it. I'm perfectly happy for it to remain separate from the other movies in the series though. Plus it has surprisingly less Chris Pratt in it than I thought it would.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is very sweet and heartwarming to me.

https://twitter.com/nationofnerds/status/858506259665956865

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Twist: Colonel Hardy is his new favourite.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Power Girl or Supergirl or Superboy needs to be Hardy and Faora's child.

Cythereal posted:

Probably because one character is vaguely suggested to be gay.

Now that I watched it, I think he might be alluding to Ego being portrayed like he's Satan trying to spawn an Anti Christ. Homophobia is too boring for him.

Edit:
I did not expect the ending to GOTG2 to be so emotional. Other than the during-credits stuff.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 30, 2017

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Can any goon who's seen GotG2 spoil me on the after-credits scenes? As long as they don't spoil anything in the movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ego-bot posted:

Can any goon who's seen GotG2 spoil me on the after-credits scenes? As long as they don't spoil anything in the movie.

They're just little snippets. There's nothing to them that links to any of the MCU. But I'm guessing a couple of them might lead to GOTG3. They would probably serve as movie spoilers though if you described them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure this is the best sequence in the entire Marvel movie franchise.

First Avenger owns in so many ways. Although Bucky's death is really dumb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Bucky's dumb death scene was fortunately made up for by almost everything else in the movie being awesome and because a PG-13 movie showed a guy getting julienned through a propeller onscreen.

Dang Captain America kills more people single-handed than the entire Chitauri army and Ultron. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc2Dx03M9nU

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 30, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Guardians was good. Not as good as the first but that's basically my favourite comic book movie so it was never going to be for me. More of the same but not quite as good overall but some really good parts.

also it is really loving colourful

taserface

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

First Avenger's first two acts was probably the peak of the MCU and it really suffers for having to cut most of caps adventures in favor of rushing him into the present day, instead of letting us have multiple films of cap fighting nazis

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I was really excited about the early rumors that the second Captain America movie was going to be set during WWII and just be two hours of them kicking rear end+Cap gaining more but fragmented knowledge of the infinity gems, basically making a full movie out of the time period we see in the montage, but am happy with what we got. I kind of wish they'd still make that now just for the hell of it, get Tommy Lee Jones back and everything, hell yes.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 30, 2017

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

"McDragon" posted:

taserface
:cawg:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

James Gunn's brother practices using the whistle arrow and accidentally stabs Drax.

Stallone reforms his old Ravager team which includes Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, ice dude and worm wizard.

Ayeshas, looking a bit dishevelled, is pissed off at the Guardians and creates a new Sovereign that can destroy them. This is revealed to be a slightly Giger-ish sarcophagus and she calls the person inside "Adam".

Groot is now a teenager. He spreads roots all over the place, only sits in his room playing video games, and when Quill chastises him about it he says "I am Groot" dismissively.

The Watchers walk aways from Stan Lee who is not finished telling stories of all his cameos in MCU movies and needs a ride back home.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

DrVenkman posted:

I liked GOTG2 quite a bit. It's interesting in that seems like what Edgar Wright wanted from his ANT-MAN movie, which was to be largely divorced from any MCU stuff. The most overt tie in is a mention of a past escapade and someone saying they wanted to kill Thanos, but that's it. I'm perfectly happy for it to remain separate from the other movies in the series though. Plus it has surprisingly less Chris Pratt in it than I thought it would.

Well yeah, GotG is in space and is made up of people who aren't Avengers. Ant-Man is on Earth and all 3 of the main characters were Avengers in the comics.

However even then it is likely involved with the MCU stuff, just from the other direction in that it is prepping for stuff down the road. In the credit sequence Adam refers to Adam Warlock, a dude whose main claim to fame is being Thanos's nemesis and involved with infinity gems. Also in the comics Nebula plays a relatively significant role in the Infinity Gauntlet comics and this film seems to be setting up conflict there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

First Avenger's first two acts was probably the peak of the MCU and it really suffers for having to cut most of caps adventures in favor of rushing him into the present day, instead of letting us have multiple films of cap fighting nazis

Yeah, basically this. The film just completelt nosedives at the end but dammit director of the Pagemaster I still enjoyed the opening so youre alright by me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

The film just completelt nosedives at the end

Look it made me cry as well but he had to do that to save New York

SpecialF
Dec 14, 2004

`You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'

The MSJ posted:

*spoilers

Additional end credit things:

You need to watch closely & you can see Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster dancing in one of those head-shot circles too.

Oh, and the crew that stallone gets together includes Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum) and Miley Cyrus

I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear too, along with many others in the theatre. Protip: take a tissue, *just in case* ;)

Scrotum-head

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Note that GOTGv2 includes the ever present MCU tropes of drone warfare (featuring young drone pilots using a control interface that literally make arcade video game sounds), 9/11 (ironically done by Rocket this time) and car destruction. The ending also has a fight that implies James Gunn is a fan of his friend Zack Snyder's DCEU movies.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 1, 2017

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
GotG2 is super colorful and pretty, but the plot is basically a Saturday morning cartoon show episode, it really brings out a bunch of classic writer's tropes. I also felt the jokes get built up way too much, almost like there's a sign dropping in saying "audience: laugh". They need to work on being more casual about that.

Movie's still a boatload of fun. Dave Bautista is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It would be kind of insane to go back in time 10-years and tell my younger self that in the future Dave Bautista and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson will deliver multiple very enjoyable acting performances and headline major blockbuster movies.

• Locked thread