Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I rode a Suzuki TU250 for my MSF class. Although it's a cruiser, which I hate (personally), it was a fun little bike, and definitely light enough and agile enough to do all the slow-speed stuff required to pass the MSF testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Lynza posted:

I rode a Suzuki TU250 for my MSF class. Although it's a cruiser, which I hate (personally), it was a fun little bike, and definitely light enough and agile enough to do all the slow-speed stuff required to pass the MSF testing.

Except I can't buy it here because of California's dumb emission laws! I am so peeved.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Wow holy gently caress I can't even buy a Suzuki TU250X because of California's retarded emission laws...

They're doing you a favor, don't worry about it. It's good for MSF, not much more than that.

epalm posted:

Can you say an entire manufacturer is "bad"? Don't most manufacturers have an "intro" line of products, all the way to their "pro" line, and the intro products have lower build quality than the pro products?

Yes, generally. The problem is that quality control is generally a company wide thing - for example, the Honda CB500 series is going to be perfectly reliable and good with some budget suspension and other items that you might notice, whereas a CCW bike is going to be questionably reliable with budget poo poo everywhere. And there's also the aspect of being able to work on it, get parts, find mechanics, etc.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Science and Music, I'll sell you my Ninja 300. :d: That'll give me a reason to drive down to Cali anyway.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

^^^ What year, mileage etc.

Z3n posted:

They're doing you a favor, don't worry about it. It's good for MSF, not much more than that.

Yes, generally. The problem is that quality control is generally a company wide thing - for example, the Honda CB500 series is going to be perfectly reliable and good with some budget suspension and other items that you might notice, whereas a CCW bike is going to be questionably reliable with budget poo poo everywhere. And there's also the aspect of being able to work on it, get parts, find mechanics, etc.

Because of its small engine size? I want a small bike, I don't like big bikes. I understand it has some hard time on the highway which is fine by me because I avoid riding on the highway anyhow.

The things I want are a style similar to retro older bikes, an engine 500 cc or less, and reliability.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Well you'd hate my Ninjer, as it's definitely not retro-looking. It's a 2014 Ninja 300, though, so most of the things you're looking for are correct.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

^^^ What year, mileage etc.

Because of its small engine size? I want a small bike, I don't like big bikes. I understand it has some hard time on the highway which is fine by me because I avoid riding on the highway anyhow.

Yeah - it's an old, air cooled engine, that makes minimal power. If you never want to go on the freeway, it might be ok, but I'd recommend something where you can pop on the freeway or run comfortably on a 55 mph backroad.

Honestly, if you're looking for vintage looks and reliability, you can't go wrong with a modern (02+?) Bonnie or a Kawasaki W650 (if you can find one).

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Z3n posted:

Yeah - it's an old, air cooled engine, that makes minimal power. If you never want to go on the freeway, it might be ok, but I'd recommend something where you can pop on the freeway or run comfortably on a 55 mph backroad.

Honestly, if you're looking for vintage looks and reliability, you can't go wrong with a modern (02+?) Bonnie or a Kawasaki W650 (if you can find one).

Kawasaki W650 is a great looking bike. However I currently have a KZ550 and while I love its look that thing is in a constant state of disrepair. I want a newer bike with a vintage look so I don't have to worry about all the old school problems. I also want to buy new. Bonnis are pretty bikes too and I would love it if they weren't so heavy. I am a super small dude (130 lbs) and bigger bikes are just hard for me to handle. :(

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Weeeeelllll.... Guzzis have "character". Since the Aprilia (and then Piaggio) takeover parts availability is much, much better and most of the more ridiculous build quality problems have been ironed out, but even Guzzi owners will say they're not a bike to rely on as your only means of transport (although they'll suggest the solution is to buy another Guzzi or two as backup, they have brand loyalty Harley would kill for).

As just one data point, I've put about 11k miles on my Griso 8V since last summer and it hasn't had a single hiccup. (Knock on wood.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't know about quality but the Thruxton is :shlick:

Dull as gently caress to ride though. Biggest disappointment of my two-wheeled life.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dull as gently caress to ride though. Biggest disappointment of my two-wheeled life.

Agreed. Owned all of 6 months. Made some nice noises though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
So I picked up the carcass of my DRZ today and while I was there I made sure to get a rundown of what went wrong.

Crank seized
big end of rod seized
piston seized
Intake cam seized

That's straight from the mechanics mouth. I'm going to try and sell off as much of it as possible when I get back to LA. Looks like I won't have a motorcycle until at least August and probably not till December with my luck.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Do you guys know of a good place to shop for EX500 exhausts? Motorcycle Superstore and Bike Bandit don't really have anything, and amazon doesn't look much better.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's cause you're better off banking that money and putting it toward your next bike.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Yeah probably.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I am trying to find a bike that I will be able to ride with minimal maintenance.

Usually people with this mindset land on a BMW Rsomethingsomething because *reliable*. Then they let it rust outside, change the oil never, check the tires never, let the rear end leak all over the rear wheel, and then moan about MY BMW RELIABILITY when it finally succumbs to neglect.

Get the Rsomethingsomething.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Chichevache posted:

So I picked up the carcass of my DRZ today and while I was there I made sure to get a rundown of what went wrong.

Crank seized
big end of rod seized
piston seized
Intake cam seized

That's straight from the mechanics mouth. I'm going to try and sell off as much of it as possible when I get back to LA. Looks like I won't have a motorcycle until at least August and probably not till December with my luck.

Check out ebay or thumper talk or something for a used engine if you're interested in going that route. I'm guessing it'll end up cheaper in the end to swap that over than it would be to buy a new crank, cylinder, rod, piston, rings, head, etc. Those little orders all add up quick. It's also a lot easier to swap in a new motor than it is to completely build one up from a wrecked example.

Full disclosure that this is probably gonna run you ~1000 bucks. Not sure how much you'll get parting it out - SM models are more desirable for the wheels and forks and such. Not a super high demand for S model parts.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Check out ebay or thumper talk or something for a used engine if you're interested in going that route. I'm guessing it'll end up cheaper in the end to swap that over than it would be to buy a new crank, cylinder, rod, piston, rings, head, etc. Those little orders all add up quick. It's also a lot easier to swap in a new motor than it is to completely build one up from a wrecked example.

Full disclosure that this is probably gonna run you ~1000 bucks. Not sure how much you'll get parting it out - SM models are more desirable for the wheels and forks and such. Not a super high demand for S model parts.

Yea, $1000 is way too much for me to spend because on top of that I still have to buy every single tool I will need. By the time I have the cash to do that I'll be a full time student with too many obligations to fix it myself. This Summer was my only significant stretch of free time. I'm just going to have to scrap the bike and wait until I can pick up something else. An SV 650 will probably be my next stop. :sigh:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Usually people with this mindset land on a BMW Rsomethingsomething because *reliable*. Then they let it rust outside, change the oil never, check the tires never, let the rear end leak all over the rear wheel, and then moan about MY BMW RELIABILITY when it finally succumbs to neglect.

Get the Rsomethingsomething.

Believe me I am not a stranger to maintenance. On my current KZ I have replaced both tires, new chain, new sprocket, maintenance on my stand, oil changes, fork oil changes, emptied, removed and cleaned the gas tank, got new jets for the carb, repainted, cleaned and replaced brake pads, both front and back, new spark plug, completely new wiring and bulbs, new fuel lines/petcock etc etc

I have absolutely no problem doing work on my bike. Problem is my KZ still runs like poo poo. I enjoy oil changes, I enjoy small things here and there, this bike has just ruined me and I want something that just works.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

Yea, $1000 is way too much for me to spend because on top of that I still have to buy every single tool I will need. By the time I have the cash to do that I'll be a full time student with too many obligations to fix it myself. This Summer was my only significant stretch of free time. I'm just going to have to scrap the bike and wait until I can pick up something else. An SV 650 will probably be my next stop. :sigh:

rip fallen drz brother. Sorry about your bike man :[

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Believe me I am not a stranger to maintenance. On my current KZ I have replaced both tires, new chain, new sprocket, maintenance on my stand, oil changes, fork oil changes, emptied, removed and cleaned the gas tank, got new jets for the carb, repainted, cleaned and replaced brake pads, both front and back, new spark plug, completely new wiring and bulbs, new fuel lines/petcock etc etc

I have absolutely no problem doing work on my bike. Problem is my KZ still runs like poo poo. I enjoy oil changes, I enjoy small things here and there, this bike has just ruined me and I want something that just works.

Sounds like you really want a Sportster. No intake sync to do, no valves to adjust, no chain to fuss with on a regular basis. Pretty much just change the oil twice a year and the brakes every couple.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

rip fallen drz brother. Sorry about your bike man :[

Thanks. I love that while you did everything you could to demonstrate the durability of the bike I only had to ride mine down a hill for it to poo poo itself. :suicide:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Sounds like you really want a Sportster. No intake sync to do, no valves to adjust, no chain to fuss with on a regular basis. Pretty much just change the oil twice a year and the brakes every couple.

Good lord no I never want a harley. I don't mind doing intake sync, valve adjustments or anything. I just don't want to have to do it every 50 miles.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
You want something low maintenance that's more powerful than an Enfield, yet still small? Buell Blast, my friend.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

High Protein posted:

You want something low maintenance that's more powerful than an Enfield, yet still small? Buell Blast, my friend.

They come in easy-to-store square packages as well.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

High Protein posted:

No no, I don't want more powerful than an Enfield. I want a small engine preferably, 500cc or less.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

ScienceAndMusic posted:

No no, I don't want more powerful than an Enfield. I want a small engine preferably, 500cc or less.

Your requirements are ... contradictory.

Now, if I caught this right, you want a bike with classic looks, but not old? And you're stuck on displacement, which means you don't get power. Why are you focused on displacement?

From what I can tell. You really, really, want a Sportster. I don't understand where you get the idea that they take lots of maintenance... they don't. The belt drive means no chain work. Hydraulic lifters mean no cam checks. EFI means no carbs to winterize. An 883 only makes about 50hp. Which is more than an Enfield, and less than a lot of bikes. An 883 needs an oil change every 3-5k, and a belt after what.. 50k? It's a long ways off. You'll be changing more fork seals than anything else.

As much as didn't want to admit it. Harley has been making great bikes for almost ten years.

Alternatively, you're stuck with old bikes. In which case, you could stick with your KZ550, and actually fix it. (it sounds like you need to go over how to make one run right...) Or buy one that's been properly serviced by someone else, and runs like a top. You'll be wanting to look for a bike that's had the top end rebuilt, fresh carb rubbers, and stock exhaust and intake setup.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Buy a 50cc scooter, they're on par with Enfields.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Kawasaki W650 is a great looking bike. However I currently have a KZ550 and while I love its look that thing is in a constant state of disrepair. I want a newer bike with a vintage look so I don't have to worry about all the old school problems. I also want to buy new. Bonnis are pretty bikes too and I would love it if they weren't so heavy. I am a super small dude (130 lbs) and bigger bikes are just hard for me to handle. :(

W650 is a reliable, modern take on bikes like your KZ550 (made in 99, imported through 01 in the US). They're rare, but they're not lovely by design. Weight isn't the end all be all to how difficult a bike is to handle - how that weight is distributed, seat height, etc, all have an effect. Don't knock bikes out based on stuff without sitting on them or test riding them first.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

How do you feel about the Triumph Bonneville? They make a decent bit of power while still looking like a classic bike. I don't think they're too much maintenance either, but I wouldn't know about that.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

How do you feel about the Triumph Bonneville? They make a decent bit of power while still looking like a classic bike. I don't think they're too much maintenance either, but I wouldn't know about that.

Unless you are buying brand new or close to it be a little wary of Triumphs. Only reason I am saying that is finding parts is a pain.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Your requirements are ... contradictory.

Now, if I caught this right, you want a bike with classic looks, but not old? And you're stuck on displacement, which means you don't get power. Why are you focused on displacement?

From what I can tell. You really, really, want a Sportster. I don't understand where you get the idea that they take lots of maintenance... they don't. The belt drive means no chain work. Hydraulic lifters mean no cam checks. EFI means no carbs to winterize. An 883 only makes about 50hp. Which is more than an Enfield, and less than a lot of bikes. An 883 needs an oil change every 3-5k, and a belt after what.. 50k? It's a long ways off. You'll be changing more fork seals than anything else.

As much as didn't want to admit it. Harley has been making great bikes for almost ten years.

Alternatively, you're stuck with old bikes. In which case, you could stick with your KZ550, and actually fix it. (it sounds like you need to go over how to make one run right...) Or buy one that's been properly serviced by someone else, and runs like a top. You'll be wanting to look for a bike that's had the top end rebuilt, fresh carb rubbers, and stock exhaust and intake setup.

Sorry if I am being confusing. I really use displacement size as a general rule of the weight of the bike. I have always been more comfortable on lighter bikes because I am a small dude and I feel like I have more control. But as Z3N said there are a lot more factors over control than just weight.

Its not that a sportster requires work, its that I hate the look and ride of Harleys, or at least every Harley I've ridden I wasn't a fan of. And I can't say I like the look of the sportster one bit.

My KZ550 needs a complete carb rework and potentially some engine mucking about. I just don't have the time, space or tools to do that level of work.

I'm actually hoping to buy new, which is why I am asking if there is anything modern with a retro look. Because if I were buying used I'd just buy a running retro.

And just to clarify I don't really care too much about power. I like cruising and enjoying the ride more than acceleration/highway riding. In fact if I could avoid highways I would, though I recognize having a bike that has highway capability is kinda... necessary.

Chichevache posted:

I really like the bonneville but I worry about it being as heavy as it is. Honestly every 250cc bike I've ridden I have always felt more comfortable on and its generally because they are very very light bikes. I do want to test ride a bonneville though at some point.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Displacement doesn't always equate to weight, though. An Enfield is 500cc, but like 300 pounds. An old CB650 (still newer in design vintage than the Enfield) is around 550 lbs. A w650 is 430. A ninja 250 is 375. They don't always make direct sense.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Lift weights, get swole, then buy a "big" bike like the Bonnie.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
RE: Bonnie

My dad rides a Honda CTX700 with DCT. It's about 700CC with a curb weight of like 516 lbs but it's very maneuverable for that weight. My buddy has a Bonnie but I haven't gotten to ride it yet since it's been missing a shift lever for the past 2 weeks since he dropped it. I think that they are comparable in weight and power (the Bonnie has a bit more displacement but the HP difference isn't all that massive) and I don't think it's all that untenable of a challenge for a new rider. I think the Bonnie is actually described as a "light cruiser". Even though it's not really a cruiser, it has a low center of gravity but the riding position is upright with the foot pegs located directly under your butt

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Lift weights, get swole, then buy a "big" bike like the Bonnie.

Never! :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Displacement doesn't always equate to weight, though. An Enfield is 500cc, but like 300 pounds. An old CB650 (still newer in design vintage than the Enfield) is around 550 lbs. A w650 is 430. A ninja 250 is 375. They don't always make direct sense.

Not sure where you're getting that number from, the modern Enfields are absolute porkers. The Continental GT, which is just a Bullet with a body-kit, weighs 4 kilos less my Shiver - I think they might be using depleted uranium for the frame or something because i really don't know how else you make an air-cooled 500cc bike weigh that much.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Just have somebody fix up your KZ. Way cheaper than a new, low maintenance, retro-look bike that isn't a Sportster and fits into a singularity-sized displacement/weight window.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not sure where you're getting that number from, the modern Enfields are absolute porkers. The Continental GT, which is just a Bullet with a body-kit, weighs 4 kilos less my Shiver - I think they might be using depleted uranium for the frame or something because i really don't know how else you make an air-cooled 500cc bike weigh that much.

It sounds like, instead of using modern metallurgy to fix their chronic "the best we can do is booger-weld the frame together because it's made of pig iron" problem, they've just started using thicker metal. Genius!

I've weighed my 2009 AVL (classic frame) dry after a rebuild, and it's 325 pounds or so. Both fenders, full-size seat, all the fixings, except a removed starter and a small 7ah AGM battery instead of the stock one. Are you talking about a UCE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Good lord no I never want a harley. I don't mind doing intake sync, valve adjustments or anything. I just don't want to have to do it every 50 miles.

Yes, yes you do. A sportster ticks every single box you put up in your list. Modern ones aren't any more unreliable than any other random brand.

If a sporty is too big, they just released a pair of 750 and 500cc water cooled standards as well.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 11, 2014