Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
958 is out

This might be the worst few chapters in this series, holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010
Has there really been 4 chapters about this one round?
And nobody has gotten hit yet?

Uhg, just tell me when the next RRR update is.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wow, it's been a long time since I've popped in to check a chapter of Ippo, and spent most of this one convinced I was reading something else.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Lectim posted:

Has there really been 4 chapters about this one round?
And nobody has gotten hit yet?

Uhg, just tell me when the next RRR update is.

I'm pretty sure this exact same chapter happened 3 chapters ago.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh no, will our hero ever defeat the nefarious Professor Zoom?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Gogey posted:

I'm pretty sure this exact same chapter happened 3 chapters ago.

I literally cannot tell if he is reusing panels at this point.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

How the gently caress fast must they be moving for people to not be able to keep up with them?

All I can think of is Dragonball Z right now.
How did it come to this?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
If they're moving so much faster than people can see, one of them should just try for a headbutt or something.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Eeevil posted:

If they're moving so much faster than people can see, one of them should just try for a headbuttgun or something.

If only so the next chapter can be one of them literally dodging a bullet.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

If only so the next chapter can be one of them literally dodging a bullet.

But first they outrun the laser sight from the sniper rifle

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What a terrible fight this is.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Normally when people say Ippo is like DBZ with boxing, they tend to be exaggerating a bit.

This chapter however is basically DBZ with boxing. Now they are moving so fast that the people can't see? Go back to jet punches goddamn it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, the dbz punch flurries were much better than this, and those were probably the least interesting part of the fights.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
I think this is leading up to an Itagaki Ippo fight.

I want it to be just a round of Ippo bashing Itagaki's loving face in.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nah, the dbz punch flurries were much better than this, and those were probably the least interesting part of the fights.

DBZ Punch flurries were acceptable just because of how downplayed they were. Everyone knew they weren't special, they just kinda happened and life went on. It built up the pace, and they usually didn't go on for an entire episode. Unlike Hajime no Ippo, in DBZ fights could escalate from speed of light punches without being totally "What the gently caress?" because it was DBZ, not a boxing anime. This is just randomly thrown in there and pretty loving impossible.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

How the gently caress is Ippo even meant to fight Itagaki at this point?
If he's moving as fast as this fight is making him seem, then Ippo shouldn't be able to land a hit all.
Then again, the way the mangas been going Ippo probably only needs to tap him to make him fly out of the ring.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hortism posted:

How the gently caress is Ippo even meant to fight Itagaki at this point?
If he's moving as fast as this fight is making him seem, then Ippo shouldn't be able to land a hit all.
Then again, the way the mangas been going Ippo probably only needs to tap him to make him fly out of the ring.

Ippo manages to land one punch in the last minute of the last round. Said punch causes all of Itagaki's organs to explode, none of which causes any lasting harm and may even permanently change his life for the better.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
This is what happened in this chapter:

Manabu was fast.
Saeki was fast.
Everyone was amazed.
The pros were all critical of how they were so perfectly matched.
The readers are still waiting for something to loving happen.

None of the above is a spoiler because this has been going on for about five chapters. Fuuuuck.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, what is even the point of trying to run in circles very fast? It isn't as though either of them can attack from behind, and wouldn't their punches be much weaker while running sideways?

Hyun.
May 8, 2008
It's such a shame to see how horrible Ippo's gotten, especially considering how outstanding RRR is.

Happy-Go-Lilac
Dec 19, 2007

Happy to be here.
New Chapter is up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just in case you're wondering; yes this chapter sucks too.

The guy that Itagaki creamed faster than Ippo quit boxing because Itagaki was just so much more talented than him what's the point!!*

*yes they did completely ignore the repeatedly and heavily implied subtext about how Ippo makes his opponents want to keep boxing

Edit: actually, the way I'm going to interpret this is that Hajime no Ippo is so bad even the characters want to quit.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 20, 2011

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
I really hope Saeki wins.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Just in case you're wondering; yes this chapter sucks too.

The guy that Itagaki creamed faster than Ippo quit boxing because Itagaki was just so much more talented than him what's the point!!*

*yes they did completely ignore the repeatedly and heavily implied subtext about how Ippo makes his opponents want to keep boxing

Edit: actually, the way I'm going to interpret this is that Hajime no Ippo is so bad even the characters want to quit.

It was better than any recent chapter with boxing at least :v:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well the series just added another reason as to why Itagaki should get his rear end kicked. It's not going to happen but a man can dream.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Huzzah! posted:

I really hope Saeki wins.

I really hope the lights fall and kill someone. Maybe one of the commentators. Not like rocks fall, everyone dies, but you know, something unexpected like a horrible accident to interrupt the match.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I hope Saeki upgrades his shotgun punch to a real shotgun and just murders everyone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New chapter, it sucks too so don't read it. Read RRR instead.

The end of this chapter implies Itagaki is going to get punched in the face, so maybe read the next one.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There is very, very little actual punching happening in this boxing manga. A lot of smugness, thinking, and running around in the ring. But punching faces in? nope.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010

Fabricated posted:

New chapter, it sucks too so don't read it. Read RRR instead.

The end of this chapter implies Itagaki is going to get punched in the face, so maybe read the next one.

I was really hoping that the whole chapter would be like how the beginning of the chapter was, and not only would it not involve them ever actually hitting each other, but also them not really moving. Like, from spending the past two rounds running around the ring, just them literally standing in the same spot for a whole round, or at least a chapter.
Now, I'm just really excited to see Itagaki get punched in the face.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
If Itagaki doesn't get punched in the face I am going to be so upset.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
So at these speeds if someone gets hit is it like getting hit by a truck? We can only pray this fight ends with a single right from Saeki and it shatters Itagaki's face worse than Date's. Then it goes to a story arc of how quickly a promising (annoying) fighter's career can end with one punch.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's hilarious how Itagaki can think, in full sentences no less, about how weird a punch is and how's he's going to counter it, while the punch is coming straight at him.
I know this happens all the time in this manga, but this one just seemed to jump out at me.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 23, 2011

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I love how the manga itself is calling this fight dull. Morikawa's subconscious struggling to apologize to the readers?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is it even possible to get into this manga? It seems pretty much insurmountable.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

WickedIcon posted:

Is it even possible to get into this manga? It seems pretty much insurmountable.

Skip all the actual boxing matches and you're left with a really good gag manga.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's pretty good until he fights that fisherman guy whose whole shtick is I PLAY IN THE WATER THEREFORE I CAN HOLD MY BREATH LONGER THAN YOU THAT MEANS I'M BETTER AT BOXING :shepface:

At that point it's a pretty sharp decline into mediocrity, and eventually just plain terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are still apologists for even the worst fights once they are over. A couple people here even say that Woli wasn't that bad. Crazy, I know.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

I don't know, the driving loving tree trunks into hills with his fists kinda got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh poo poo Iwamaki is a southpaw!!!