Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
McCarthy isn’t good but Capers is the reason they’ve been eliminated from the playoffs almost every time and just lmao the organization’s blind loyalty to this is baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
I'm happy that when the packers knock the lions out of playoff contention in week 17 they also won't be in the playoffs

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

curiosity hosed me up posted:

I'm happy that when the packers knock the lions out of playoff contention in week 17 they also won't be in the playoffs

Lions won't still be in contention by week 17

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Chris James 2 posted:

Lions won't still be in contention by week 17

Did you see the Bengals today?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Will Hrunting posted:

McCarthy isn’t good but Capers is the reason they’ve been eliminated from the playoffs almost every time and just lmao the organization’s blind loyalty to this is baffling.

2011: Absolutely embarrassingly bad pass defense predictably shits itself in the playoffs against the Giants, gives up 37 points
2012: Colin Kaepernick
2013: Colin Kaepernick
2014: Defense collapses against the Seahawks, giving up 15 points in the fourth quarter then immediately shits itself in overtime
2015: They played okay this season I guess. This is when we had both Hayward and Hyde, who the front office promptly let walk. Flukey loss to the Cardinals in overtime, just chalk that one up to "NFL Playoffs"
2016: 44 points to the Atlanta Falcons
2017: 31 points to the Carolina Panthers

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 17, 2017

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Do I have unrealistic expectations of a team defense or are the packers just utter poo poo hear after year with nothing done about it

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Why did the Packers replace winning QB Brett Hundley with this loser? Is it because he's white and Hundley isn't? Probably

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Do I have unrealistic expectations of a team defense or are the packers just utter poo poo hear after year with nothing done about it

Ernest Dominic Capers (born August 7, 1950) is an American football coach and the current defensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

Did you see the Bengals today?

Lions record is 8-6

Even if the Lions win out, it doesn't matter. Vikings are division champs already, so Lions need wildcard

Packers just lost to Panthers, who are on top with Saints (who also just won) at 10-4. Falcons and Seahawks are also both ahead of the Lions at 8-5 each; Lions need Seattle to lose to the Rams today because Detroit has the tiebreaker there, and for Atlanta to lose out (considering they play the Bucs Monday, that's already unlikely as gently caress)

Also they're a game from being tied with the Cowboys, who they need to lose to the Raiders tonight. Even though Zeke's also back tonight.

So yeah, just to stand a chance they need a loooooooooooooooooooot to go right that doesn't involve their own games in any way. Funnily enough they needed Green Bay to win just now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2011 to today, first round picks spent on defense: 5 (out of 6)
second round picks spent on defense: 5 (out of 8)
third round picks spent on defense: 3 (out of 6)
Later-round defensive picks that have panned out: Sam Shields (UDFA 2010), Mike Daniels (4th, 2012), Micah Hyde (5th, 2013, walked in free agency), Blake Martinez (4th, 2016)

:qq: But Capers needs more talent :qq: His scheme is too difficult to comprehend :qq:

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

Lions record is 8-6

Even if the Lions win out, it doesn't matter. Vikings are division champs already, so Lions need wildcard

Packers just lost to Panthers, who are on top with Saints (who also just won) at 10-4. Falcons and Seahawks are also both ahead of the Lions at 8-5 each; Lions need Seattle to lose to the Rams today because Detroit has the tiebreaker there, and for Atlanta to lose out (considering they play the Bucs Monday, that's already unlikely as gently caress)

Also they're a game from being tied with the Cowboys, who they need to lose to the Raiders tonight. Even though Zeke's also back tonight.

So yeah, just to stand a chance they need a loooooooooooooooooooot to go right that doesn't involve their own games in any way. Funnily enough they needed Green Bay to win just now

Makes sense. If they aren't likely to make the playoffs maybe if they lose out the lions will fire caldwell then

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I pretty much gave up on the playoffs when they got blown out by the Ravens. I'll settle for them beating the bad teams they should beat to finish the year 10-6. Having said that, it's not totally improbable. I think they mainly need the Falcons to lose two out of three? The Falcons losing to the Saints and Panthers isn't toooootally ridiculous to imagine.

I'm just tickled pink that everybody with a "Rodgers will come back and lead the Packers to the promised land just like 2013!" take got to watch him throw three picks today.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't think any reasonable person expected today to be anything closer than a complete tossup. Which it pretty much was.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think any reasonable person expected today to be anything closer than a complete tossup. Which it pretty much was.

Have you met a packers fan from the general public? Reasonable person isn't usually a phrase I'd use to describe them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Yeah, but we're talking about Packers fans (and CJ2).

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
If NFL2Go had all-22 I'd go through literally every defensive play this season where the Packers gave up 10+ on a 3rd and 7 where the safeties lined up 3+ yards behind the 3rd down markers.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2013 was funny and I just wanted it to happen again :negative:

ed: also this v

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm completely flabbergasted to live in a world where rodgers doesn't instantly come in and bullshit the packers to the playoffs

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm completely flabbergasted to live in a world where rodgers doesn't instantly come in and bullshit the packers to the playoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liuSbrghzmk

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

2013 was funny

Hard disagree!

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

If NFL2Go had all-22 I'd go through literally every defensive play this season where the Packers gave up 10+ on a 3rd and 7 where the safeties lined up 3+ yards behind the 3rd down markers.

:ssh: It does, but takes a week or so to get posted.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
My only comforts are that Rodgers wasn't seriously reinjured and can now take the offseason to heal, we have a small chance of finally offloading Capers, and the Vikings will inevitably roll over and die at some point in the playoffs.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I just remember Casey Hayward going to the Chargers and being confused that he was suddenly in the next Pro Bowl.

I checked his stats, he got 6 INTs his first season with GB, then dropped off (injury, etc.) then went to San Diego and had 7 INTs in one season. Makes me wonder if something in GB was holding him back.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So if the Rams beat the Seahawks (up 20-0 as of this post), here's what needs to happen for the Lions.

- Lions beat Cincinnati and Green Bay
- Falcons lose two out of three (@Tampa, @New Orleans, vs. Carolina)

Not exactly likely, not exactly impossible.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

surf rock posted:

My only comforts are that Rodgers wasn't seriously reinjured and can now take the offseason to heal, we have a small chance of finally offloading Capers, and the Vikings will inevitably roll over and die at some point in the playoffs.

rodgers should just retire before he's routinely humiliated by mitch trubisnky

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Chris James 2 posted:

Lions record is 8-6

Lions only need the Falcons to lose two of their next three, which includes games against the Saints and Carolina, and for the Seahawks to lose one. If the Cowboys win out, that'll automatically knock Seattle out of contention, and Detroit will still have the tiebreaker thanks to Green Bay's win over Dallas back in Week 5. It's not an ideal situation, and it's likely that loving 10 second runoff from Week 3 is going to be what knocks us out of the playoffs, but it could be a lot worse.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

2011: Absolutely embarrassingly bad pass defense predictably shits itself in the playoffs against the Giants, gives up 37 points
2012: Colin Kaepernick
2013: Colin Kaepernick
2014: Defense collapses against the Seahawks, giving up 15 points in the fourth quarter then immediately shits itself in overtime
2015: They played okay this season I guess. This is when we had both Hayward and Hyde, who the front office promptly let walk. Flukey loss to the Cardinals in overtime, just chalk that one up to "NFL Playoffs"
2016: 44 points to the Atlanta Falcons
2017: 31 points to the Carolina Panthers

He won't let you down in 2018.

:smug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/12/14/16775136/nine-dc-candidates-to-watch-if-the-packers-part-ways-with-dom-capers

quote:

Nine DC candidates to watch if the Packers part ways with Dom Capers

Internal Candidates
Joe Whitt, Jr.
Mike Trgovac

External Candidates

Brian Flores
Vic Fangio
Paul Guenther
Steve Spagnuolo
Adam Zimmer

Full analyses at the link. I'd be happy with anyone of these except the Ryans.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

fun to think about but capers is there for 40 more years

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

R.D. Mangles posted:

Now that he got hurt the NFL can't trust him, so he doesn't get games rigged in his favor anymore. It's that simple. Maybe the league should invest in a guy who isn't a baby about being crippled by his o-line every game and keeps playing, like say, Matt Stafford

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The fair catch rule needs to loving die like the Packers Super Bowl prospects

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/why-did-bears-cut-robbie-gould-gm-ryan-pace-wanted-upgrade/

quote:

If it weren’t Barth, though, it might have been someone else. The morning after releasing the Bears’ all-time leading scorer — without trying to trade him first — GM Ryan Pace was respectful, if blunt: the Bears had a list of kickers on other teams they considered an upgrade over Gould if they became available.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Vikings, bitch!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Cry me a river, Steelers fans.

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/942553024760705024

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

and Oakland a year ahead of them (I remember telling my friends the Megatron catch was incomplete due to Louis Murphy )

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

R.D. Mangles posted:

rodgers should just retire before he's routinely humiliated by mitch trubisnky

It seems likely Trubisky will retire before Rodgers does.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Now that the Packers are essentially eliminated I'll say this: do the drat thing Vikings. This is easily the best Vikings team since Favre almost got them to the Super Bowl. I'll be rooting for y'all except against the Eagles or Jags.

P.S. I'm cool with the Lions making the playoffs but don't think they're going to win anything this year

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Anyone with a reasonable shot at contention except the Hawks, Pats, or Steelers is good imo but mostly go Rams

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

schweens posted:

Now that the Packers are essentially eliminated I'll say this: do the drat thing Vikings. This is easily the best Vikings team since Favre almost got them to the Super Bowl. I'll be rooting for y'all except against the Eagles or Jags.

P.S. I'm cool with the Lions making the playoffs but don't think they're going to win anything this year

Same. My "second" team is the Iggles only because a friend supported my Packers obsession. Now that I live in the Twin Cities though, I'll grudgingly and secretly root for the Vikings now that the Packers are basically out.

The thing I'm most upset about is that I'm going to Lambeau next week and taking my girlfriend to her first pro game. I really wanted that game to matter and the crowd to be energized for it :(

I guess we'll just get drunk instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boon posted:

Same. My "second" team is the Iggles only because a friend supported my Packers obsession. Now that I live in the Twin Cities though, I'll grudgingly and secretly root for the Vikings now that the Packers are basically out.

The thing I'm most upset about is that I'm going to Lambeau next week and taking my girlfriend to her first pro game. I really wanted that game to matter and the crowd to be energized for it :(

I guess we'll just get drunk instead

You were going to get drunk even if it did matter, don't lie.

• Locked thread