Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So while looking at marine stuff I noticed that there's a Fire Hawks character that boosts Fire Hawks units, how exactly does that work? Do you just say "yeah my marines are fire hawks" or is there a chapter tactic just missing from Battlescribe?

Also here's two Salamanders 500pt ally builds, in case anyone gets a kick from pointing out glaring mistakes:
https://pastebin.com/AbT3strF
https://pastebin.com/dU49wu8n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

Gonna buy one and burn it.

own the libs

For the record: I do not have an airbrush and will definitely be edge highlighting that Astraeus, probably starting in July. But don't worry, y'all are gonna hear about it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

For the record: I do not have an airbrush and will definitely be edge highlighting that Astraeus, probably starting in July. But don't worry, y'all are gonna hear about it.
:rip::rip::rip:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Sex Cannon posted:

For the record: I do not have an airbrush and

why are you like this.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I've got some friends who are casually into 40k, and I'm considering picking it up to join them. Not interested in tournaments or anything, only casual 500-1000 matches over beer. Been reading through the lore in the rulebook, and I'm trying to figure out which army I should start with. I've read the most important thing to consider is to chose an army whose lore and look you enjoy. On that end, I'm leaning towards Admech.

But I'm at a loss on where to proceed now. I'd hate to drop $$ on a pair of Start Collecting Skitarii boxes and a Codex, only to find out that they just aren't my jam (none of my friends play admech, so no first second-hand experience there). Anyone have a general description of their playstyle, interesting synergies, and strengths/weaknesses I should be aware of? Keep in mind that I'm still green AF and not familiar with most of the game's terms (which makes finding info like this difficult).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

I do not have an airbrush

What in the actual gently caress.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Yeast posted:

why are you like this.

I am what you made me

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Duct Tape posted:

I've got some friends who are casually into 40k, and I'm considering picking it up to join them. Not interested in tournaments or anything, only casual 500-1000 matches over beer. Been reading through the lore in the rulebook, and I'm trying to figure out which army I should start with. I've read the most important thing to consider is to chose an army whose lore and look you enjoy. On that end, I'm leaning towards Admech.

But I'm at a loss on where to proceed now. I'd hate to drop $$ on a pair of Start Collecting Skitarii boxes and a Codex, only to find out that they just aren't my jam (none of my friends play admech, so no first second-hand experience there). Anyone have a general description of their playstyle, interesting synergies, and strengths/weaknesses I should be aware of? Keep in mind that I'm still green AF and not familiar with most of the game's terms (which makes finding info like this difficult).

AdMech are a ton of fun and you shouldn't worry about anything other than that. The best part about playing an Imperial faction is that you can always add a detachment from another faction to add some variety or offset a weakness.

If you want something cheap and largely forgiving you could pick up some Primaris off of eBay, play a bit, and then decide but to be honest there's no real wrong answer here.

Orks is the most right answer, but no answer is wrong.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't have an airbrush and I painted a Glaive by brush*. :shobon:

*Still to be edge-highlighted.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Duct Tape posted:

Admech are without a doubt the coolest looking army. Playwise, they are typically heavy on the shooty and often like to castle up, in one or two slow-moving castles, rather than spread out too much - a lot of their good units really depend on the re-roll that their HQs auras give to not be pretty bad. They have a couple of melee type units. Notably; cool as hell jousting knights, fanatic, life-sucking, robo-priests and punchy 1950s robots - the latter are sorta weak compared to the shooty robot version though - charging into melee it's definitely not their main thing. They're fun and have options, but are a little limited, unless you branch out into other imperial stuff (which has tons of possibilities).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This showed up online.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Basically the main pros are you have some of the best guns in the game and almost everything has some sort of rule where things happen when you roll a 6.

The main con is all of your guys are godawful slow and, while I'm not going to say they're mono-build a lot of armies are kinda structurally similar based on forge world choice.

I.e. Mars armies almost invariably have Cawl in a corner surrounded by onagers and kastellans.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Sweet, I'd already arranged to split the hypothetical box with someone and 2 armigers is a nice surprise.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

This showed up online.

Wow, my friend literally just caved and bought the start collecting necrons set too. This is perfect for us.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 5, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zuul the Cat posted:

This showed up online.

Well now we know why the cryptek and mini-knight were previewed together

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Oh hey another tech priest dominus. That'll be Dominus #4 - after I gave one of them away to a friend as part of an officer exchange with his Guard.

Sweet.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The glare on the box made me think it read Ogre Bane...

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Thanqol posted:

Oh hey another tech priest dominus. That'll be Dominus #4 - after I gave one of them away to a friend as part of an officer exchange with his Guard.

Sweet.

I'm already trying to figure out how to get rid of the un-assembled one I currently have lol.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Finally got around to painting my Rhino-Truk

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Zuul the Cat posted:

This showed up online.

Speaking of starting admech ...

Should I spring for this in lieu of a Collecting Skitarii box? One of my friends is champing at the bit for Necrons so I could split if 50/50 real easily.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zuul the Cat posted:

This showed up online.

Welp I guess this is how my Necron army starts

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Astraeus finished! This was a bit of a slog, I pre-ordered it when it released and built it fairly quickly, but then had it sitting around primed and untouched for a few months. I'm not a fan of the base, its slightly angled so you can rotate it to get a different angle, but I'd really prefer if it was just flat. I threw the biggest magnets I had in there to hold it together, but they're not really quite strong enough. Oh well, its functional enough.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Duct Tape posted:

Speaking of starting admech ...

Should I spring for this in lieu of a Collecting Skitarii box? One of my friends is champing at the bit for Necrons so I could split if 50/50 real easily.

Really depends on how the Armiger is. The thing with the Start Collecting box is that onagers are one of the best units in the army and you're getting that and some troops at a huge discount.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

muggins posted:

I am continuing my index review for GSC, here's my hot take on elites

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2018/03/warhammer-40000-genestealer-cult-index.html?m=1

I'm really loving these!

Do you have any thoughts on taking the patriarch and genestealers as a separate Tyranids detachment? You'd lose the GSC infiltrate on them but gain whatever hive fleet ability you pick and stratagems to use on that detachment.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Really depends on how the Armiger is. The thing with the Start Collecting box is that onagers are one of the best units in the army and you're getting that and some troops at a huge discount.

To add perspective, an Onager is £40 and the box is £50. Even discounting the Dominus, buying an SC instead of a single Onager makes sense.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've somehow made a ghost post itt

e: that fixed it, how bizarre

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I really like this angle and you did a fantastic job.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
A gallery with more Necron/Admech set contents:
https://imgur.com/a/HgCWv

Looks like a full starter kit for Necrons vs. Admech, comes with folding rules card, plus the new cryptek and 2 of the new babby knights, which look like they're a bit bigger than dreadnoughts. And also there's a standalone game in there with its own rulebook. If the thing is balanced (no guarantee), then 1 Cryptek + 5 Immortals + 3 Wariths + 3 Lychguard = 1 Tech Priest + 10 Skitarii Rangers + 2 babby knights

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yeah, time to bite the bullet and start in on my AdMech I’ve had sitting around.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Oh, jeez, two babby knights maybe edges this over the SC box.

Relatedly I'm a little bit bored of the way I've been playing my admech because of Cawl and am looking into trying out the non-Mars, non-Styges forgeworld dogmas.

Thinking maybe just getting a bunch more Vanguard and going Graia or Metallica.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Shieldwolf miniatures also just opened their plastic not-sisters up for preorder today:

http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=83

I went in on the first tier, the prices are pretty great (25 euros for 20 plastic multipart sisters) but it's a bit annoying how they're gating heroes and vehicles; at tier 2 (60 euros) you get 40 sisters + 2 heroes, tier 3 (100 euros) gets you 60 sisters + free shipping + 2 heroes + 3 grizzled elderly sisters, and tier 4 (160 euros) adds 20 more sisters, 2 notrhinos, and a flagbearer.

On the bright side I already have ideas for cannoness/superiors, so tier 1 is pretty much perfect for me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Astraeus finished! This was a bit of a slog, I pre-ordered it when it released and built it fairly quickly, but then had it sitting around primed and untouched for a few months. I'm not a fan of the base, its slightly angled so you can rotate it to get a different angle, but I'd really prefer if it was just flat. I threw the biggest magnets I had in there to hold it together, but they're not really quite strong enough. Oh well, its functional enough.

I love your painting style. The work is always clean, vibrant, and really well executed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheChirurgeon posted:

A gallery with more Necron/Admech set contents:
https://imgur.com/a/HgCWv

Looks like a full starter kit for Necrons vs. Admech, comes with folding rules card, plus the new cryptek and 2 of the new babby knights, which look like they're a bit bigger than dreadnoughts. And also there's a standalone game in there with its own rulebook. If the thing is balanced (no guarantee), then 1 Cryptek + 5 Immortals + 3 Wariths + 3 Lychguard = 1 Tech Priest + 10 Skitarii Rangers + 2 babby knights

Well poo poo, as someone who plays Necrons and was looking to beef up their army a bit and was ALSO considering expanding into Admech as a second army, this seems like a no-brainer.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
They posted Forgebane officially now

I'm looking to expand my DA troop slots with cheap options, just to maximise CP for my mostly-Deathwing army. I currently own 10 Intercessors and a terribly painted AoBR tactical squad with no transport. I guess scouts are the best option to pad out a Battalion? Which weapon options are worth using for them?

Am I also right in thinking that currently the only way to get Primaris Ancient / Lieutenant models (aside from the BA/DA-specific ones) is in Dark Imperium?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

xtothez posted:

They posted Forgebane officially now

I'm looking to expand my DA troop slots with cheap options, just to maximise CP for my mostly-Deathwing army. I currently own 10 Intercessors and a terribly painted AoBR tactical squad with no transport. I guess scouts are the best option to pad out a Battalion? Which weapon options are worth using for them?

Am I also right in thinking that currently the only way to get Primaris Ancient / Lieutenant models (aside from the BA/DA-specific ones) is in Dark Imperium?

The lieutenant less so since you literally just stick an intercessor on a 40mm base but yeah only ancient is in dark imperium, fortunately ebays flooded with them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Two mini-Knights and one standard net you a +3CP bonus? Not too shabby, since they’re a good tie-in to AdMech anyway.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I’ll definitely be picking up forgebane, cause it’ll at least let me field some more rangers. I’m also curious to see how well those Knight Armigers do, although I don’t know where the rules for them will be. I’m assuming Knights will get their own codex, which will be another book to carry.

My buddy plays Necrons too, and he’s happy with the set even though there’s no new baby knights for Necrons.

So we’re betting it’ll be $160ish?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Zuul the Cat posted:

I’ll definitely be picking up forgebane, cause it’ll at least let me field some more rangers. I’m also curious to see how well those Knight Armigers do, although I don’t know where the rules for them will be. I’m assuming Knights will get their own codex, which will be another book to carry.

I bet they'll release Forgebane as the only way to get Armigers initially, then you'll see them released separately when the IK codex drops a few months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

My buddy plays Necrons too, and he’s happy with the set even though there’s no new baby knights for Necrons.

So we’re betting it’ll be $160ish?

Yeah, that'd be my guess. Without the armigers, the retail price of the necron and admech stuff is around $218 USD, so that'd be a hell of a deal

e: Also if the Armigers are LoWs, it seems certain they'll have at least 10W and declining profiles

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 5, 2018