Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Thanks, that worked. I missed her in there the first time I looked.

Yeah, I missed her there, too, and couldn't figure out why she never showed up at the Church. It's really easy to miss her standing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I kill a ton of people using Lloyd's Talismans I think you're exaggerating a lot.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Does anyone know how to use livesplit that could help me get it going? I am confused as gently caress by bow it works.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

The goblet is Wolnir's skull. When you touch it, it creates a magic hallucination of Wolnir to fight. Its not actually teleporting you to the abyss and Wolnir wasn't actually a 50 foot tall skeleton man.

I think Wolnir is supposed to be a parallel of the DS2 player without the SOTFS ending. An all powerful conqueror that kicks tons of rear end and makes a big name for himself, but ultimately still slides into irrelevance as his legacy crumbles. Basically saying that all that power doesn't mean anything in the long run if you don't do anything with it to break the cycle.

Aldia and the fate of the DS2 protagonist, assuming the SOTFS ending is the canon one, is one of my biggest questions right now. The work you did with him is set up as being pretty drat important but its unclear what this actually was. I thought the Unkindled were supposed to be a result of your work but apparently an interview stated that they are just undead that hosed up linking the first flame a long time ago and have nothing to do with that.

I'm still holding out for an Aldia/DS2 tagteam fight or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Notorious QIG posted:

Why do you say this? The only argument I could understand is that you don't need the Covenant of Artorias to survive it, but you also don't need that to enter the Abyss in the Dark Souls 1 DLC or the Dark Chasm of Old in Dark Souls 2.

The whole fight just feels more like a hallucination than something that is completely real. I very much doubt Wolnir was 50 feet tall. There's also no way 3 random trinkets he took off dead clerics actually protected him from the abyss. But if the whole fight is some magic illusion, then conventional logic doesn't really apply. Your bloodstain is also left inside the room with the goblet in different spots depending on where you die in the fake abyss. Which made me think you're just running around like a crazy person in there swinging at magic darkness.

argondamn posted:

I kill a ton of people using Lloyd's Talismans I think you're exaggerating a lot.

Yeah they are better than I intitially thought despite the lock-on being completely worthless. People can totally just run around in a big circle to probably outlast it, but in a fight with more than one player that means someone has been taken out of the picture. I find it most useful on phantom bodyguards, as they will either be afraid too fight or way easier to kill when they make a mistake.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 7, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There should be a reverse giant seed, that only invaders can use

It should make all enemies in the area aggro onto the host at once, and acts as a permanent lloyd's talisman

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

There should be a reverse giant seed, that only invaders can use

It should make all enemies in the area aggro onto the host at once, and acts as a permanent lloyd's talisman

I thought it'd be kind of cool to give invaders an item that seals off an area with fog walls for a minute or something, to limit how far the host can run and temporarily prevent them from just disappearing into the boss fight.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Small and Blue posted:

Maybe it should not be because it inherently gives the host an advantage and is also dumb and boring as gently caress.

Also hunter charms _are_ useless and you have to be a complete idiot to die because of one even if you get hit since you can just run away for 30 seconds until it wears off.

If you are good enough at pvp the host has no advantage no matter how many estus uses he has more than you do. Undead Hunter Charms are how I win the majority of my fights, so no they're not useless. Maybe when my main computer gets fixed I'll make a video incorporating their use because I'm getting sick of people that don't know how to use them effectively saying they're useless.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

lloyd's talisman should just half your eustus charges and have no effect on 1 charge

Now they are good, and still fair.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Obligatum VII posted:

I've gotten 30 ears on two characters now just by wearing Sentinel/Darkmoon through the majority of my NG playthrough. A shame it doesn't work for a lot of people. Maybe it's some weird nonsense about when you first started playing DS3? Cause I played it on launch day. Maybe some sort of account ID stuff messing everything up?

I hear a few people saying they get summoned non-stop, so maybe there's some weird sorting going on where a handful of people are getting 95% of the summons. Like, maybe if you have [some connection attribute] the game will pick you ahead of people who don't have that every time. I played at launch and got 2 summons in about 20 hours in the covenant, and have gotten 0 since then.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Small and Blue posted:

Maybe it should not be because it inherently gives the host an advantage and is also dumb and boring as gently caress.

Also hunter charms _are_ useless and you have to be a complete idiot to die because of one even if you get hit since you can just run away for 30 seconds until it wears off.

I know, I just had to empty quote that for how bafflingly wrong it is to say. It's not remotely true in either fightclubs or invasions when you are fighting more then just the host, which is like, more then half of invasions.

Even if it were true it's a contradiction to say that estus management is the key to winning and then say resummonable phantoms are fine in the same post. Like wtf.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Everyone, see, you win by hitting them more then they hit you, it's so simple!

*fox only no items final destination

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Stokes posted:

If you are good enough at pvp the host has no advantage no matter how many estus uses he has more than you do.

If you are good enough at pvp the host has no advantage even if you are limited to using a broken straight sword. "Git gud" is supposed to be a joke, not a basis for balancing pvp.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

_Endgame_ posted:

Hey I think you were the dude that invaded me yesterday. I had a +8 dark sword to see how fast I can run through to respec later, and it was +8 from dancer skip. Assuming that it allows + or - 3 after +5 he could have had a +10?

Neat, what was your handle? I might have shadowplayed it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Monomythian posted:

I know, I just had to empty quote that for how bafflingly wrong it is to say. It's not remotely true in either fightclubs or invasions when you are fighting more then just the host, which is like, more then half of invasions.

Even if it were true it's a contradiction to say that estus management is the key to winning and then say resummonable phantoms are fine in the same post. Like wtf.

No, it's pretty much the truth. First of all fight clubs are dumb and don't count at all. I'm talking about invasions. When you invade mid-battle into a host plus 1 or more phantoms that may or may not have all their estus charges, and who usually waste their charges by healing after 1 or two hits. Eventually the host, who in most cases panics with their charges as well, will run out. Hence estus management.

The host sitting at a bonfire with 2 or 3 other phantoms is a different story. In that situation you just accept the fact that you are already dead and use everything you can to your advantage to try and make a dent in their phantom fortress. Situations like that aren't going to change. You can't change how they approach an invasion. You can only change how you approach it. Take the challenge or black crystal out. Who gives a turkey?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Monomythian posted:

Everyone, see, you win by hitting them more then they hit you, it's so simple!

*fox only no items final destination

Just be better than them so it doesn't matter how many hotponts they have or how much domage they do

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bussamove posted:

Re: Aldrich, my own little theory is that he's the Chosen Undead, all fat with lord souls and humanity nibbling on what's left of Gwyndolin to get his fix while his covenant brings him what's left of the Dark Soul in the form of Human Dregs. You do sort of progress from killing humans to gods over the course of Dark Souls.

It's not really supported by anything in-game but it feels like it makes a bit of sense to me.

did you not beat the game because you fight that character later.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
If you stacked double tearstone via the morion blade and used power within (along with appropriate sorcery buffing rings and the dusk crown) to knock yourself into critical HP, what kind of crazy damage could you do with a soul stream in PvP? I figure it'd be funny if you could alpha strike with it via obscuring ring and potentially one-shot people.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I will beat this game as a cleric if it kills me

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Stokes posted:

No, it's pretty much the truth. First of all fight clubs are dumb and don't count at all. I'm talking about invasions. When you invade mid-battle into a host plus 1 or more phantoms that may or may not have all their estus charges, and who usually waste their charges by healing after 1 or two hits. Eventually the host, who in most cases panics with their charges as well, will run out. Hence estus management.

The host sitting at a bonfire with 2 or 3 other phantoms is a different story. In that situation you just accept the fact that you are already dead and use everything you can to your advantage to try and make a dent in their phantom fortress. Situations like that aren't going to change. You can't change how they approach an invasion. You can only change how you approach it. Take the challenge or black crystal out. Who gives a turkey?

90% of my successful invasions end with the hosts/phantoms still having estus because they didn't top off and don't realize that 70% hp is not enough to survive a full combo

the reason someone said you shouldnt be able to summon the same phantom during an invasion, which has nothing to do with ganks, is because infinite phantom summons=infinite estus for phantoms, in a game where the host can roll around indefinitely while his lapdog fights you. and if you have a slow-rear end weapon, good luck catching the roll-man.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 7, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

90% of my successful invasions end with the hosts/phantoms still having estus because they didn't top off and don't realize that 70% hp is not enough to survive a full combo

the reason someone said you shouldnt be able to summon the same phantom during an invasion, which has nothing to do with ganks, is because infinite phantom summons=infinite estus.

I'm not sure I've ever seen the host run out of estus. Maybe if you invade early in NG+ when they only have a few charges. The "meta" I've seen is to catch someone in a riposte/drop attack/combo for most-all of their hp. I guess if you're fighting 1v1 against someone of a similar skill level estus charges might come into play but that's like a 5% occurrence.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp I feel like Nameless King and Lorian are both pretty much impossible with my build. This is gonna be a gruelling final stretch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Welp I feel like Nameless King and Lorian are both pretty much impossible with my build. This is gonna be a gruelling final stretch.

What's your build?

If you just feel like you messed up, you can respec (unless you've already done it 5 times).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

What's your build?

If you just feel like you messed up, you can respec (unless you've already done it 5 times).

40 strength, 30 vigour, 30 endurance and 20 dex, with everything else loving off.

It's carried me fine through everything else but this is doing my balls in.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

The goblet is Wolnir's skull. When you touch it, it creates a magic hallucination of Wolnir to fight.

Hm interesting, I

Internet Kraken posted:

Wolnir wasn't actually a 50 foot tall skeleton man.

You've gone too far.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

40 strength, 30 vigour, 30 endurance and 20 dex, with everything else loving off.

Your build is fine--there's nothing wrong with that at all. What weapon are you using? Slow weapons are tough to use against both of those bosses but can be great if you're patient and time your swings well.

EDIT: vvv Yes, also that. Nameless King is hard as gently caress.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 7, 2016

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Steve2911 posted:

Nameless king is also the hardest boss in the game, so don't feel too bad if he's pushing your poo poo in.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Steve2911 posted:

Just make the dragonslayer armor shield and laugh at Nameless king.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
If I invade you and you summon a human shield you are a coward.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's insanely crazy that sunbros can get medals for invading people but sents/moons can't

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Atreiden posted:

Don't worry to much about it on your first character. Especially not if you try to play it blind. You are fairly close to being able to respec.technically one boss and most of a dungeon away, though it may take a while to find. getting your dex to 16 (or even 18) for the uchigatana is fine, even if you are going for a str build, since a lot of str weapons require that. And just upgrade the long sword to +2 if you have the materials, it should be fine for where you are.

Good point, I might give that a shot. Probably better to wait to reroll until i see more of the game anyways. To bad the game seems more linear then dark souls 2, so far anyways. Because i like finding out where the characters and weapons are in one play through, and suicidal running to them with the next character when they are still low leveled.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Bussamove posted:

Re: Aldrich, my own little theory is that he's the Chosen Undead, all fat with lord souls and humanity nibbling on what's left of Gwyndolin to get his fix while his covenant brings him what's left of the Dark Soul in the form of Human Dregs. You do sort of progress from killing humans to gods over the course of Dark Souls.

It's not really supported by anything in-game but it feels like it makes a bit of sense to me.

That's exactly what I thought too. There isn't just one chosen undead, it's part of the story that every undead exists in their own parallel universe that can intersect with each other sometimes, just like it works in gameplay. And similarly the description on Wolnir's crown suggests he was a DS2 player

Plus he linked the fire, that's what makes him a lord of cinder.

Likewise I guess the whole reason you have to go on your quest is because Prince Lothric decided he;d rather play Princess Maker than Dark Souls

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Equip a great shield with high fire res, like black iron greatshield (upgrade it for higher stab +6 should be fine) and a fast weapon. Use lighting resin or take a weapon like dragonslayer axe. Now you can face tank most of lorians first phase hits and get 1 or 2 hits in for decent damage in between. You should of course still roll to avoid most attacks, but if his swings hits you, they do very little damage.

swamp waste posted:

Plus he linked the fire, that's what makes him a lord of cinder.

Except Wolnir isn't a lord of cinder. He is just a jerk warlord who fell to the abyss.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 7, 2016

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's insanely crazy that sunbros can get medals for invading people but sents/moons can't

They should let you "invade" any world with an active hostile phantom if nobody in Way of the Blue is pulling you in. :colbert:

Edit: If he doesn't have friendly phantoms already.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Atreiden posted:

Except Wolnir isn't a lord of cinder. He is just a jerk warlord who fell to the abyss.

Oh i was talking about Aldrich there.

p.s. eating the gods and the ritual killing the old sun king (sometimes by the new one) are both straight out of The Golden Bough, which identifies them as two of a small group of primal religious themes that crop up in folk beliefs across the world.

swamp waste fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 7, 2016

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
https://gfycat.com/QuarrelsomeDizzyIndigowingedparrot

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
what's the deal with all the feathers near prince lothric?

makes u think

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

swamp waste posted:

Oh i was talking about Aldrich there.

I misunderstood you then.

Malcolm XML posted:

what's the deal with all the feathers near prince lothric?

makes u think

Something unexplained about the angel worshippers and the war between them and Lothric.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Small and Blue posted:

There's a lot of idiots in this game, then, because I have yet to see anyone outright run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Thread on Reddit talking about how the Poise issue might have been unintentional.
https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4i953t/so_ive_contacted_bamco_about_the_poise_issue/

Unrelated: out of all of the unused content in the game, this is the thing I want the most