Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Chucat posted:

It was really cool having a quest that taught you how to/made you use Sleep considering how...not useful it is now.

For leveling I used it quite a bit at least, but BLM was my first so I went through the arr and hw story with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
45's the ninja quest that I think I remember being terrible. You have to go to like 5 different maps to kill 5 different people to get 5 different pieces of equipment which takes forever, and then it just throws the last mudra at you like 'here's 15 new permutations of mudras you can do. Lol no we're not going to teach you what they are it's time for a boss fight'

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

So, what’re the good role actions for a SMN, a MCH, and a DRK?

For MCH, we’ll start with Refresh. Take Refresh, just do it. Invigorate is a pretty easy #2. The other slots vary a lot, because you have five more situationally-useful powers and three slots left.

-A good generic dungeon loadout is Tactician, Second Wind, and Arm Graze. Tanks and melee DPS will appreciate the TP if they’re bothering to AOE, Stun is by far the most useful status effect for the average dungeon run, and Second Wind comes in handy for mistakes or, in EX Roulette, giving you some leeway to just eat a hit during Flamethrower if you get targeted early into a channel. Replace Arm Graze with one of the the other status shots if the dungeon calls for it (like Head Graze for dungeons where the silence is actually useful.) If it’s a dungeon with some huge gaps between pulls (Xelphatol comes to mind) I might swap in Peloton, and if the tank asks specifically for Palisade I’ll bring it in but in most dungeons it’s probably very very minor due to it’s long CD.

- For Trials, I find Second Wind and Palisade to be the most useful in most situations, with the last slot going to whatever is most relevant of Arm Graze, Head Graze, or Tactician if neither of the above. Note that a few trials have no source of Physical Damage and in those you should take Palisade out for something else.

-For PotD, please, be kind, bring Peloton and be the hero your party deserves. Everything else depends on Block and party comp.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 21, 2017

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

hihifellow posted:

The fact you can't say "I'm the warrior of light, I've visited Merlwyb like 50 times before, you blind idiot" to him is a travesty.

Going through early-game areas can be surreal sometimes.

Between every single Wood Wailer being a twat, and the five or six random NPCs that spit on you (one literally), it's a wonder we haven't joined the Garleans yet. Or at least snapped and started dropping Akh Morns on every rear end in a top hat NPC we can find.

Also, for SMN role actions, Addle, Lucid Dreaming, and Swiftcast are mandatory. Addle's damage reduction is handy and it can be used in Bahamut phase to get an extra Wyrmwave in, Lucid Dreaming cuts emnity and is good if you start running out of MP or need to recover after dying, and Swiftcast makes Resurrection usable and can be used to squeeze in an extra Tri-Bind during DWT, among other things. The other two slots are up to you, I usually run with Mana Shift so that I can kick some MP to the healers just in case, and Diversion, though Apocastasis could be good if you're in a fight with a heavy magic tankbuster.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 21, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At first glance Gridania is some idyllic forest hippy village but it's actually a racist cult of spirit worshippers, and those spirits themselves are a bunch of selfish assholes that stake claim to at least one apocalyptic event.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Bardam's Mettle hits incredibly hard. I felt so bad going into it on my PLD with shaky gear. I know my healer had to have been suffering.

I don't entirely remember the job quests, but I remember there was one with Jacke before I got my job stone that pissed me off. The stealth mechanics were not fun. You had to like Stealth into a room in Aleport and then unstealth to assassinate a dude. It was awful. A lot of NIN job quests gave me a heart attack because Ninjas have next to no health.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What does ‘refresh potency 80’ mean for Lucid Dreaming?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Refresh is a status that regenerates MP. 80 is the potency of that MP regen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Refresh is a status that regenerates MP. 80 is the potency of that MP regen.

Ah, neat. That skill’s more useful than I thought.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Lucid Dreaming is one of the must have role actions for casters.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Bardam's Mettle hits incredibly hard. I felt so bad going into it on my PLD with shaky gear. I know my healer had to have been suffering.

I don't entirely remember the job quests, but I remember there was one with Jacke before I got my job stone that pissed me off. The stealth mechanics were not fun. You had to like Stealth into a room in Aleport and then unstealth to assassinate a dude. It was awful. A lot of NIN job quests gave me a heart attack because Ninjas have next to no health.

I hate healing Bardam's with leveling gear. I'm not even running LDR for my last stretch of leveling my AST just to avoid the chances of getting it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

At first glance Gridania is some idyllic forest hippy village but it's actually a racist cult of spirit worshippers, and those spirits themselves are a bunch of selfish assholes that stake claim to at least one apocalyptic event.

The best part about Gridanian lore is that on the whole, the Elementals would still very, very much like to slaughter everyone there. The only reason that anyone can get away with being on the surface in the Twelveswood is because every few years, the Conjurers Guild and Padjali will get together and drug the Guardian Tree into a stupor. On the other hand, it was either that, or live in idyllic places like the Tam-Tara Deepcroft or Palace of the Dead forever.

Yeah, I really don't get the Gridanians.

Darth Walrus posted:

Lucid Dreaming is mandatory for casters and double mandatory for healers. Otherwise, a few raises in an Alliance roulette that's going off the rails will have you dry on MP. The MP refresh is mostly what you're going to be using it for, the emnity dump is only really important in Savage or if you have a particularly bad tank.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Merlwyb is cool and all but she was also the last one in that sequence to go “yo we are being kind of chicken poo poo here, let’s stand up to the glorified bully and his weird centaur thing.”

Meanwhile Kan-E-Senna is the first to stand up and be awesome and Nanamo just laughs at their situation so they get to be the coolest people there at the time.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kan-E also has the nicest mayor office. I guess I've never been as down on her as most goons are. She manages to be both chill and not take anybody's poo poo at the same time.

Nanamo absolutely has the best minion though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thundarr posted:

Nanamo absolutely has the best minion though.

At least call him by his name.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nanamo is gonna make potato Fabio carry her on one shoulder like his dad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I meant the actual minion but this response is also acceptable.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Most of the enemies in Bardam's don't deal appreciably more damage, but they don't waste much time casting tiny orange garbage on the ground; they just pound on the tank until they die. The pompoms that spam Aero are the worst for that, but it's noticeable on most of the pulls. The trash at the end is actually easier because they spend more time throwing around orange garbage.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've always liked Kan-E. She shares the Gridania problem, in that she looks like a boring archetype and is easy to dismiss as such. But she continually pressures for the alliance when it kinda falls apart, easily shrugs off Gaius's threats, and she's not an honest healer.

It's not all cool stuff like shooting fishmen in the face or having the best GC leader, but I think all the leaders are of the same calibre.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I want them to explore more of Kan-E's relationship with Mun Tuy Brew in-game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Leofish posted:

I want them to explore more of Kan-E's relationship with Mun Tuy Brew in-game.

"These Elementals and Twin Adders drive me to drink! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE TWIN ADDERS! YOU WHO PULL THAT MIN MAX HEALER COMP BULLSHIT IN PVP!"

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

If you can't kill healers stop playing pvp

Your future teams thank you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

These santa bears are so adorable I'm having a hard time processing this

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone know of a way to combine discord and ps4 audio with less mess? It seems like the simplest is running a 3.5 from controller to audio in on a laptop with a wireless headset connected. That leaves an awkward cord from controller to laptop but couldn't find any better googling around.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Merlwyb strikes me as not really wanting to fight very much. She'll do it, but Raubahn clearly loves it and even Kan-E-Senna seems sorta eager to jump into battle. I think years of dealing with pirates has just gotten on her nerves.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What exactly is Kan-E? She and some of the Conjurers have those weird horn things, but they seem like they're a different race from the playable ones. I assume it's some holdover from 1.0 that never gets explained.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cephas posted:

What exactly is Kan-E? She and some of the Conjurers have those weird horn things, but they seem like they're a different race from the playable ones. I assume it's some holdover from 1.0 that never gets explained.

They're called padjals, and they're regular Hyurs that have been selected by the elementals to be their emissaries. They also stop ageing because ~anime~

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Padjali. Kids that the Elementals looked at and said, "Yeah that's ours now." Basically any kid born in Gridania gets put into a secret lottery that you don't want to win.

SonicRulez posted:

Merlwyb strikes me as not really wanting to fight very much. She'll do it, but Raubahn clearly loves it and even Kan-E-Senna seems sorta eager to jump into battle. I think years of dealing with pirates has just gotten on her nerves.

She's a pragmatist that is one of the few things holding Limsa together as a city-state and not just another pirate's hangout. She has very little to gain from putting herself in combat when some cannons will do the job nicely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Man that stealth section in the level 40 NIN quest suuuuucked, glad I was able to just sprint through it on my fifth failed attempt.

Oh, wait, I thought you meant the Rogue quest where you have to go to the pier. The Ninja one wasn't too bad. I got seen by one of the bats, which was annoying, but aside from that it was pretty easy.

I DID have a glitch, though, where I attacked Karasu and he kept trying to run away without his bodyguards doing anything. Probably because I wasn't standing in the right position to trigger the next part of the quest.

Saint Freak posted:

45's the ninja quest that I think I remember being terrible. You have to go to like 5 different maps to kill 5 different people to get 5 different pieces of equipment which takes forever, and then it just throws the last mudra at you like 'here's 15 new permutations of mudras you can do. Lol no we're not going to teach you what they are it's time for a boss fight'

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was annoyed by that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SonicRulez posted:

1.0 Merlwyb is basically the epitome of "I've had enough of your poo poo. *kablam*" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXSHLPB1aM

We have someone working their way through 2.0 - 2.5 content in this thread, so I'll not spoil anything they might have yet to come across, but come on, her guns are named "Annihilator" and "Death Penalty", for god's sake, you can be drat sure she's not afraid to use them.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 22, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Holy heck, that was amazing. I know we already have Machinist, but I would love a cannoneer type of job. Something less tinkerer nerd and more badass pirate.

I feel validated in my Grand Company choice again. Til sea swallows all.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

1.0 Merlwyb is basically the epitome of "I've had enough of your poo poo. *kablam*" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXSHLPB1aM

We have someone working their way through 2.0 - 2.5 content in this thread, so I'll not spoil anything they might have yet to come across, but come on, her guns are named "Annihilator" and "Death Penalty", for god's sake, you can be drat sure she's not afraid to use them.

I'm incredibly upset that they can't seem to do cutscenes nearly this well-animated in the new engine. They seem to be getting better with it though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

vOv posted:

I'm incredibly upset that they can't seem to do cutscenes nearly this well-animated in the new engine. They seem to be getting better with it though.

It's worth noting that at the time that cutscene was released there wasn't a computer on earth capable of rendering it at 60fps.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

M'just saying what my impressions are so far. I'm not saying she's not awesome, the story just hasn't given me much reason to think her especially so yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's not even one of the good cutscenes, the GC stuff came out after Yoshida took over. The real 1.0 cutscenes look nuts, but also there were like 6 of them because mocap took a lot of work + money.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

homeless snail posted:

That's not even one of the good cutscenes, the GC stuff came out after Yoshida took over. The real 1.0 cutscenes look nuts, but also there were like 6 of them because mocap took a lot of work + money.

Oh, it's full-blown mocap? That explains it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Anyway, is the trial against Rhitatyn one of the ones I'm supposed to run with friends unsynced or can I go ahead on that one?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

vOv posted:

Oh, it's full-blown mocap? That explains it.
That one might not be because I think Yoshida put a stop to it in his attempt to make the game more cost effective, definitely some of the later project meteor cutscenes looked straight out of ARR. Tanaka's 1.0 though, hella mocap

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

Anyway, is the trial against Rhitatyn one of the ones I'm supposed to run with friends unsynced or can I go ahead on that one?

Anything that has Extreme, Minstrel's Ballad, or Savage in the name you'll want to unsync, as well as some of the Binding Coil of Bahamut. Everything else you can sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

The two dungeons after that are the ones that you'll want a friendly group that will let you watch cutscenes for. You + one 70 should be able to unsync them if that's the way you want to do it.