Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah but he spent all of 0079 with a mother complex(this is explicitly written out in the pitch/series primer tomino wrote)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I got that more off his interactions with Matilda than with Lalah, tbh.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Stairmaster posted:

do you think in his last moments amuro reflected on chars final words of wanting a mommy gf and went "yeah, same"

What?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah but he spent all of 0079 with a mother complex(this is explicitly written out in the pitch/series primer tomino wrote)

Amuro had serious mother issues, but unlike with Kamille, they're a separate batch of his extensive mental traumas from his romantic issues.

Beltorchika and Amuro have a mess of a relationship, but he's definitely not looking to her for direction in his life, and his relationship with Chan seems... pretty healthy, honestly. Especially by Gundam relationship standards.

Unlike Char, Amuro grew up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

Amuro had serious mother issues, but unlike with Kamille, they're a separate batch of his extensive mental traumas from his romantic issues.

Beltorchika and Amuro have a mess of a relationship, but he's definitely not looking to her for direction in his life, and his relationship with Chan seems... pretty healthy, honestly. Especially by Gundam relationship standards.

Unlike Char, Amuro grew up.

Especially since his plan for Amuro was to be in a relationship with Beltorchika in the CCA outline and to be a father-to-be. He's fundamentally different from Char.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onmi posted:

Especially since his plan for Amuro was to be in a relationship with Beltorchika in the CCA outline and to be a father-to-be. He's fundamentally different from Char.

Yeah, that's the version of Amuro in the novel and in the latest console Super Robot Wars.

Amuro even gets a scene with Kouji and Ryoma where he points out he's the only one of the three with his romantic life in order.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, that's the version of Amuro in the novel and in the latest console Super Robot Wars.

Amuro even gets a scene with Kouji and Ryoma where he points out he's the only one of the three with his romantic life in order.

Admittedly, comparing yourself to the guy that's too dense to realize what love is and the guy whose one and only love is violence is a bit too easy.

Also that still makes me want a SRW T2 that goes full OG and just gives us a story about Amuro's child, Lisa Kabuto and Takuma Nagare.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

The pitch notes also have a two year war, describe mobile suits as "armored powered space suits" in a manner that implies they aren't meant to be giant robots, notes Kai is a berserker in combat and gives the existence of a 5th Zabi child, Miharu Zabi, who is younger than Garma. The primer is useful as an indication of intent, but shouldn't be taken as bible because it differs a lot from the show we got. The Amuro we got in animation was completely uninterested in the most motherly character in the show, Fraw, despite her obvious feelings for him and even the older women he was interested in, Matilda and Lalah didn't have a particularly maternal relationship with him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"I never got to be with Sayla, gently caress."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Frankly I'm glad Amuro didn't end up chasing a mother surrogate. Its a blanket statement but I do get tired of anime protagonists who act like immature dumbasses but always have a friend who acts as their mom and tells them to get up get dressed and cooks for them so they can continue to function in spite of their lackadaisical attitude. It's like in college comedy movies where the goofball main character has to grow up a little so they win the prize of being with the no nonsense serious romantic interest.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Fraw was looking after Amuro when he was at home in the first episode, but that always came off to me more as him just being so absorbed in his hobby that he would lose track of time (a trait he shared with his father) and not an inability to care for himself as such, which is pretty childish, but once he's on the White Base it's less that he's absorbed in something by choice and more a case that he had so much to do that he outright needed someone to help him. Amuro at that point was piloting the Gundam, maintaining and repairing it after battles, examining it in his off-time to understand how it worked due to his own interest in the area and training in the simulators to become a better pilot so he wouldn't die, and had trouble sleeping because of the poo poo he was being forced to do; so having someone come along to remind him to eat in between all his other jobs is just kind of a small luxury and not really something that happened because he was an immature child, selfish or incapable of looking after himself.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MonsieurChoc posted:

"I never got to be with Sayla, gently caress."

Things only anime Amuro can say.

Book Amuro :smug:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Wasn’t even Domon wrapped in on that convo and even he was like “there’s nothing really up with Rain and I, I’m just taking a trip to improve myself while she’s working on some big project so I can be a better dude and Master Asia is alive again, so I gotta handle that now, I dunno what’s wrong with all of you”

I remember Domon bringing that up with someone in T

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ryoma has a romantic life? When the hell did he ever have romantic tension?

Dude cared about killing invaders and/or dinosaurs, that's it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

Ryoma has a romantic life? When the hell did he ever have romantic tension?

Dude cared about killing invaders and/or dinosaurs, that's it.

He had a one night stand at least since he has a son, although T never mentions that since it's Shin Getter Robo (if a version that goes really off the rails near immediately and is basically 100% an original story) and not the manga.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if theres a hole its a mans job to thrust into it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, Michiru and the Getter Team was one of the original love triangles (Squares?) at least in the Toei Anime.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

He had a one night stand at least since he has a son, although T never mentions that since it's Shin Getter Robo (if a version that goes really off the rails near immediately and is basically 100% an original story) and not the manga.

He also has a minor crush on Michiru Saotome in some versions of Getter Robo, if only in a "all the guys should compete for the girl" cartoon clichés way. But Ryoma being murdersexual is actually part of that conversation. When the discussion of the mess that is most of their lives comes to the topic of romance, it's noted that none of them have ever seen him with a girl, leading to them needling him by going "Hey, if you're into dudes, there's nothing wrong with that. Not what either of us like, but, you know, good for you!"

"I hate you both."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Things only anime Amuro can say.

Book Amuro :smug:

I died in the One Year War trying to help Char :zombie:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/10/29-1/zeonic-technics-lets-you-control-a-toy-zaku-with-your-mind

poo poo. Zeon has perfected the Psycommu

tsob posted:

I died in the One Year War trying to help Char :zombie:

To be fair it is more like "Char tried to come to him for help and newtype bullshit put Amuro into a psychic rage which only got stopped when Leeroy shot him from behind over Char's objections."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wtf I thought amuro just got killed by a stray shot in the middle of a huge battle. That's lame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

Wtf I thought amuro just got killed by a stray shot in the middle of a huge battle. That's lame

Nah.

Char basically comes to the realization that he's hosed if he doesn't find a more dependable support group so he tries to contact the White Base. And in a parallel to Kusko Al and Lalah Char's attempts to do mental communicate go real loving badly after (IIRC) Hayato bites it. Char continues trying to get through and it almost works and then one of Char's Newtype Unit Mooks shoots Amuro from behind. (And then promptly goes "oh my god what have I do" in an exact parallel to Amuro killing Lalah.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In the novel the colony laser has just fired and Gihren is going to use it again within a few minutes to wipe out Kycilia's forces along with the remaining Federation forces under the guise of protecting A Baoa Qu so that there's no blowback on him for killing his sister or destroying her personal forces. Kycilia, Char, Challia Bull and their subordinates in the Newtype Corp are trying to team up with the White Base and leave the area asap because they know they need all the help they can get to take out Gihren, and they realize that a Newtype as strong as Amuro would be of great assistance, while the White Base has overcome great odds before in the war. One of these subordinates, one Leroy Gillam, is however struggling with surviving the combat being unable to really attack , and is unsure exactly what Char is actually trying to do. It's also worth noting that the novel makes Newtype communication far more complex than just two psychics transmitting their thoughts though, and Amuro's feelings of anger and fear at Zeon after the colony laser mean that when Challia tries to communicate with him mid-battle that they want to team up, Amuro interprets his attempts as hatred and mental attacks directly compared to rape. Which is probably what Tomino is referring to when he says that Newtypes aren't just psychics, since communication is more complex than just transmitting thoughts, and feelings twist them up in different ways. So Amuro starts fighting harder and more desperately against Challia because he thinks Challia is mentally as well as physically attacking him, which ends up twisting Challia's intentions and desires and making him fight harder to protect himself. All of which breaks the communication between them even further. Amuro kills him in the end, but Challia's dying thoughts do reach Amuro and snap him out of his combative mindset, at which point he realizes what's going on and that he has to communicate all this to the White Base.

Which happens just as Char is watching and wondering if maybe he made a mistake and put too much faith in Challia Bull to communicate with Amuro or with the White Base crew to receive his communications and empathize with them and as Hayato goes to attack Char. Char instinctively responds and kills Hayato as Kai watches from close by in horror. Amuro is also nearby and realizes all this, and that the White Base needs someone to clearly communicate the exact situation to them through the Minovsky fields so that the anger, mistrust etc. enveloping everyone doesn't stop them teaming up. So Amuro flies the Gundam in a straight line as he uses a laser comm channel to tell the White Base everything, knowing that he's taking a huge risk by doing so because he can't move or he'll end up destroying the signal he's trying to send. Unfortunately, Char's subordinate Leroy Gillam decides to attack Amuro while he's vulnerable, and ends up killing Amuro. Amuro's spirit talks to him, Char, Sayla and I think maybe one or two others before he departs though, telling Gillam that he is like Amuro himself (i.e. an inexperienced Newtype) before he actually disappears.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Not that the anime doesn't convey that war is awful and tragic, but the novel really dials the tragic up to 11 for the core "heroes".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://youtu.be/dKi4WodCxMc?t=104 iunno what my favorite thing about this akatsuki action shot is

the fact that its just him standing there while 8 guys kill themselves on his laser reflector

or the fact that the blue goufs dont even fire and still blow up

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope you can appreciate my new avatar.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The akatsuki still in my top 3 of the most overpowered mobile suits. It was practically invincible giving the setting it was in.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The akatsuki still in my top 3 of the most overpowered mobile suits. It was practically invincible giving the setting it was in.

I mean, all the protagonists were invincible in the last act of Destiny, so that's a bit less special.

It's pretty notable how, where most Gundam shows spend the last act giving the antagonists new toys to ramp up the tension, Destiny just kept giving the heroes more stuff.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I remember being pretty unimpressed with 00 S2, but I liked how the balance of power was turned upside down when the antagonists began producing GN-Xs.
Now that I think about it, the thing that annoyed me the most was how GN drives are shown to be very valuable and then Ribbons shows he built an army of kamikaze clones, each piloting a disposable GN drive-equipped mobile suit. It's been a while since I saw the show so maybe I'm misremembering but it felt so out of left field.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Gagas represent I am pretty sure the biggest waste of resources in Gundam. Making an army of clones and GN drives and just using them as guided missiles is hilarious wasteful

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Unguided missiles would have been better! All they did was a full frontal suicide charge. At least flank the ships for gently caress's sake. Even just giving them all one lovely beam rifle would have done more.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GN Tau drives weren’t as valuable as true GN drives but it was still crazy to do that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If 00 S2 ever appears in SRW again they really should have literally every character in the game point out how moronic that plan is

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If 00 S2 ever appears in SRW again they really should have literally every character in the game point out how moronic that plan is

Secret unit Iok Kujan points out flaws in the plan. Everyone is eager to correct him, before the terrifying realization dawns that, this one time, Iok is completely right.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

Secret unit Iok Kujan points out flaws in the plan. Everyone is eager to correct him, before the terrifying realization dawns that, this one time, Iok is completely right.

Game crashes when this happens

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Look I just want SRW to continue Heero's bromance with Setsuna and maybe fold Mika in to it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Atra imagining her family with Mika and Kudelia but with Heero and Setsuna too.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Argas posted:

Atra imagining her family with Mika and Kudelia but with Heero and Setsuna too.

Only if Relena's included so I can truly live my fanfic.net ans/or Ao3 dreams.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Look I just want SRW to continue Heero's bromance with Setsuna and maybe fold Mika in to it.

Chirico and Sousuke are the other traditional participants in those conversations.

The funny thing is how Mika and Heero differ below the surface. Heero and Mika both would ask how many times they have to kill that girl and her dog, but where it's a plaintive cry of despair for Heero, for Mika, it's more of a simple clarification, because he's good for killing that girl and her dog all day if that's what Orga needs.

(I've talked before, but there's some aspects of IBO and Wing that are interesting in their contrast.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

GN Tau drives weren’t as valuable as true GN drives but it was still crazy to do that.

Tau Drives are mass-produceable and not intrinsically all that valuable beyond being GN technology, so it's not really that unreasonable to throw them at Celestial Being en-masse. They can always make more, Celestial Being can't, and even just one kill would make however many Gagas were spent worth it.