Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah yeah yeah. Point is in the future even decent candidates will have their digital poo poo picked apart starting from grade school. But this is one big digression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Groovelord Neato posted:

this isn't happening unless the party goes back to being rockefeller republicans. dubya was right when he spoke to that aide. he's gonna be the last.

It's actually much more likely than not.

A single party controlling the Presidency for 16 years without running a candidate named Franklin Roosevelt is a tall order. Hillary's going to be slightly weaker than she is now, and the GOP know this and will come at her hard.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

The more I think about future candidates being under a microscope the more I'm reminded of this old ethics puzzler

Fallacious or not, it's an interesting what if. What if we pick the outwardly moral guy vs the drunkard despite the former being the reincarnation of hitler? It doesn't apply in this case since Trump is such a fuckup on all fronts but it certainly won't stop the deplorables from claiming we could have had the Antoninus Pius of presidents but nooooo we hated him for chasing girls on the playground

Isn't Stephen Colbert the youngest of 11 kids? I don't think we should be getting behind people having 10+ kids on the off chance that number 9 or 10 may become a famous entertainer. Abort that Beethoven!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Hillary's going to be slightly weaker than she is now
Why? Generally, Clinton is more popular when she's in an office.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Did you notice that text at the bottom of the page?

https://youtu.be/kXp6wOg6pxM

Lol those mewling dorks think they're so badass it's pathetic.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would assume 4 more years of Benghazi and e-mail rhetoric is why they think this would be the case. Although after 4 years in office of not exploding us in nuclear war and the economy continuing to recover, I'd imagine it'll be hard to launch that line of attack again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't get it.

Am I old and out of touch now?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

FactsAreUseless posted:

She's going to be stuck between compromising with Republicans who have all the power, or not having any landmark legislation to put her stamp on in 2020.

I think she'll ram something through congress, but I don't want to see the horse trading involved in, say, a minimum wage success for Clinton given to her by Republicans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't get it.

hanzo is a totally useless hero in overwatch p much that pubstars like playing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't get it.

No, it's just that young people are stupid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Penisaurus Sex posted:

A single party controlling the Presidency for 16 years without running a candidate named Franklin Roosevelt is a tall order.

and? the gop is collapsing. and the republican party back then was the rockefeller republicans i mentioned in the post you quoted.

you can't win a national election on guns, gods, and gays.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't get it.

Blizzard released a Team Fortress-esque game over summer.

The website is equating people who pick sniper characters and then whine about how everyone else is losing the game. Versus, you know, the guy who picked the sniper character and is hiding in the house while yelling on the microphone that no one is taking the objective.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't get it.

Hanzo is a hero in the popular team based FPS game Overwatch. Their are very few people who can play that hero well. Most people suck, and he doesn't contribute if you suck.

This has been your old out of touch update. (Really, who bought that sign, it's so oddly specific)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A lot is going to depend on how much the GOP fights itself in the coming years.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

She's going to be stuck between compromising with Republicans who have all the power, or not having any landmark legislation to put her stamp on in 2020.

I think she'll ram something through congress, but I don't want to see the horse trading involved in, say, a minimum wage success for Clinton given to her by Republicans.

While you're at it, can you give me the lottery numbers?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Hillary Clinton is better at working with Republicans than any other Democrat. She was so good at persuading them to come around to her side that the GOP had to ban their people from taking unsupervised meetings with her. I love Obama but he was a junior senator who hadn't lost his optimism about bipartisanship. Dread Abuela is long past that foolishness.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Groovelord Neato posted:

hanzo is a totally useless hero in overwatch p much that pubstars like playing.

I somehow don't think that made things clearer.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Groovelord Neato posted:

and? the gop is collapsing. and the republican party back then was the rockefeller republicans i mentioned in the post you quoted.

The GOP isn't collapsing? They're going to flush out the current leadership, pivot where they can, and come at Hillary hard in 2020.

You underestimate the number of people who will vote against the establishment because "well shucks, they should get a chance too."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The GOP isn't collapsing? They're going to flush out the current leadership, pivot where they can, and come at Hillary hard in 2020.

With who?

Name me a GOP candidate that could win the primary and also the general.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hillary Clinton is better at working with Republicans than any other Democrat. She was so good at persuading them to come around to her side that the GOP had to ban their people from taking unsupervised meetings with her. I love Obama but he was a junior senator who hadn't lost his optimism about bipartisanship. Dread Abuela is long past that foolishness.

Great news! With a little bit of luck, she might not have to work with republicans at all.

I want to believe.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
T

Penisaurus Sex posted:

You underestimate the number of people who will vote against the establishment because "well shucks, they should get a chance too."

They will absolutely crush midterms and probably win 2020.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Penisaurus Sex posted:

They're going to flush out the current leadership

And replace them with who?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Anyone post Curt Schilling continuing to melt down, because LOL.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WampaLord posted:

With who?

Trey Gowdy.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

WampaLord posted:

While you're at it, can you give me the lottery numbers?

I don't think anything I'm saying is unreasonable? I think it's far more unreasonable to say that Hillary will persuade and negotiate her way into getting major legislation passed against the best interests of House Republicans.

This is a line of thought that Scott Adams would use and it's just as dumb when you apply it to Hillary as when you apply it to Donald.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Penisaurus Sex posted:

they're going to flush out the current leadership and replace them with people less likely to win nationally

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Anyone post Curt Schilling continuing to melt down, because LOL.
Poor bastard just wanted to disappear into a fantasy world of his own creation and it all fell to pieces. Just like his candidate.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't get it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Someone's burn on Twitter about Paul Ryan:

mauricio wokettino ‏@ranchandsyrup

@Philip_Elliott lmao he's a zombie eyed granny starver. gently caress that guy and you

This would be an excellent username.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

WampaLord posted:

With who?

Tom Cotton and Ben Sasse are the two guys that most people are pinning their hopes on. They're sort of cast in the non-offensive quiet racist mold for now, but 4 years is a long time and they could do a lot to change that if something more overt was more palatable to their base.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Who the gently caress is Data Orbital?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't think anything I'm saying is unreasonable? I think it's far more unreasonable to say that Hillary will persuade and negotiate her way into getting major legislation passed against the best interests of House Republicans.

This is a line of thought that Scott Adams would use and it's just as dumb when you apply it to Hillary as when you apply it to Donald.

You're falling into a trap that's very easy to do. You're basing predictions on what type of person you want to be and what that person would conclude, instead of basing things on facts and evidence. You want to be a reasonable person who isn't blinded by partisanship, so you're betting it all on regression towards the mean. But Hillary isn't a perfectly spherical democrat and this political climate isn't a frictionless void. The details matter.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FactsAreUseless posted:

I could see the economy taking a slip in two to 4 years and the sitting Prez gets blamed for the economy every time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phone posted:

Trey Gowdy.

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Tom Cotton and Ben Sasse are the two guys that most people are pinning their hopes on.

loving :laffo: at all three of these options. Surely these chucklefucks will inspire the same cult of personality that a reality TV star did.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Rand Paul actually stands a chance in 2020. He ran as "a different kind of republican" I'd much more popular with younger voters than any other Republicans and he has conservative and tea party bonafides all while he never, that I can remember, kissed the ring.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Penisaurus Sex posted:

:lol:

If they "flush out the current leadership," they're going to be replaced by absolute wingnuts in the vein of Trump, or more spineless cowards who can't do poo poo to control the base. Pivoting for the GOP is impossible now that their base has gotten a taste of open white nationalism. They are only going to get more extreme in their quest for the mythical "true conservative," and whoever dogwhistles (or bullhorns) the hardest will get the nomination.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 14, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

I could see the economy taking a slip in two to 4 years
People have said this a few times but have never said why they think a recession is coming.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny how trump was crying about our "slow growth" when slow growth is partly how you avoid a recession (he also bought into china's growth numbers LMAO).

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Ben Sasse at least has some personality. Tom Cotton is a bland, goofy motherfucker who will be mocked endlessly if he gets on the national stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

lozzle posted:

:lol:

If they "flush out the current leadership," they're going to be replaced by absolute wingnuts in the vein of Trump, or more spineless cowards who can't do poo poo to control the base. Pivoting for the GOP is impossible now that their base has gotten a taste open white nationalism. They are only going to get more extreme in their quest for the mythical "true conservative," and whoever dogwhistles (or bullhorns) the hardest will get the nomination.

Maybe in the midterm, they'll go hard to squash that in the primary. I think they crush midterms, like it might be really bad for dems. Then they run a hard right candidate but not a retard like Trump and win 2020.

• Locked thread