Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean Altair managed to work his way up from novice to leader of the order in like a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

christmas boots posted:

I mean Altair managed to work his way up from novice to leader of the order in like a week

Was it by assassinating them?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Lobok posted:

Was it by assassinating them?

It wasn't not that

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Altair was playing snakes and ladders though, he starts off game 1 as a master assassin.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like how in Valhalla everyone complained (rightly) about the lack of one-handed swords, so now in Mirage the only weapon you get is a one-handed sword

the new fighting animations look pretty cool imo. definitely more fluid and less sluggish than Eivor

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The real shame is that we're going back to the Middle East, but so much earlier than the first game that I won't get to hear "Curse him! Curse the Christian King and his army of infidels" again

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They won't even be able to call you another caped crusader.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

rear end Creed Revelation had in fact a playable Cossack character in its multiplayer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i kind of wish they would bring multiplayer back. the mode where you had to sort of disguise yourself as an npc was cool. also there was a multiplayer mode in watch dogs 2 that was awesome and could work really well in an AC setting

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I couldn't agree more, all entries since multiplayer stopped have been underwhelming at best.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ive been playing Sniper Elite 5 lately, which is probably the closest thing you can get to a WW2 era AC game (though its much more stealth focused than AC has been in many years, and of course it's linear not open world. but the maps are nice and big), and it has an optional multiplayer mode where one player can invade, they are disguised as a regular enemy and hunt you down and you do the same to them. You can access a few points on the map to reveal their location for a few seconds. i could imagine something like that working really well in AC, within the context of the "bounty hunter/mercenary" system they've had in the last couple games. in SE5 the action is of course more sniper-oriented, the goal is to take out the other player before they even see you. but in AC you'd have to get a lot closer and it would be really fun to chase or be chased by an actual human player across AC maps imo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buschmaki posted:

Make a game set during the Imjin War that has 3 different protagonists, a ninja, a Chinese general, and a guy in the Righteous Army and make their playstyles correspond to hard stealth, combat, and social stealth respectively

While this would be cool, I feel like mainline AC games are doomed to always fit into one of the following categories:
- Europeans/Americans
- Middle East/North Africa (a familiar setting that is mentally associated with the concept of an "assassin")
- Japan (the Asian country normies are familiar with)

I doubt we'll see something like a mainline game set in China, Korea, West Africa, India, etc because these games are very expensive and aim for a huge audience and it would be seen as too risky.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I doubt we'll see something like a mainline game set in China, Korea, West Africa, India, etc because these games are very expensive and aim for a huge audience and it would be seen as too risky.

Three Kingdoms era China is one of the most popular video game settings there is :confused:

the huge audience they aim for is a global one, which includes the millions of gamers in countries like China and S Korea, where "normies" are very well aware of countries other than Japan lol

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Earwicker posted:

Three Kingdoms era China is one of the most popular video game settings there is :confused:

the huge audience they aim for is a global one, which includes the millions of gamers in countries like China and S Korea, where "normies" are very well aware of countries other than Japan lol

That's a good point if the game has a big portion of its audience in those countries (which I was not aware of if it's the case).

But the vast majority of Americans are absolutely not familiar with Three Kingdoms-era China. It would definitely be a choice made with the assumption that increases overseas sales would offset any issues in the US/Europe.

I really hope you're right since I would absolutely love to get a game like that, but *gestures at entire history of AC games up until this point*

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

That's a good point if the game has a big portion of its audience in those countries (which I was not aware of if it's the case).

it certainly wasn't the case when the series began, but these things change and the Chinese gaming audience has grown hugely since then. also of note, as of last year Tencent is now one of the largest investors in Ubisoft. so i would absolutely not say "never".

also, just because Americans are unfamiliar with a period doesn't mean they couldn't make a game set there sell really well. most Americans aren't familiar with the Qing dynasty either but Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a massive hit in the US. and plenty of American gamers already play games set in China like the Dynasty Warriors series, Total War 3K, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc. it might not be as common as vikings but it's not exactly an unknown setting either

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 8, 2023

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'd bet most *people* don't know a good goddamned thing about the Thirty Years War and they're about to release a game during it, so, I do think this series in particular benefits from pulling unexpected/vaguely unknown settings.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

I'd bet most *people* don't know a good goddamned thing about the Thirty Years War and they're about to release a game during it

are you talking about Codename Hexe? has that been officially confirmed? i thought the setting was guesswork by fans. would be very cool if real though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's incredible to me that they never made an Assassin's Creed set during the Fourth Crusade because the whole assassins vs. templars framing device would actually make what happened seem MORE plausible.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Earwicker posted:

are you talking about Codename Hexe? has that been officially confirmed? i thought the setting was guesswork by fans. would be very cool if real though

I believe it’s technically confirmed as German witch trials period, which I know has some overlap, but isn’t necessarily the same period. But I have a degree in history and don’t really know much about German witch trials so, it’ll be a learning experience for us all! I just want landsnekchts

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

It's incredible to me that they never made an Assassin's Creed set during the Fourth Crusade because the whole assassins vs. templars framing device would actually make what happened seem MORE plausible.

how could they represent the Fourth Crusade if you desynchronize every time you kill a civilian

Sandwolf posted:

But I have a degree in history and don’t really know much about German witch trials so

read Highroad to the Stake by Michael Kunze for a good look at the era. its pretty nasty! hard to imagine what kind of AC game they will make out of it, seems more appropriate to a Soulslike. but that teaser definitely nailed the atmosphere

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 8, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It looks like they have radically cut back the Diablo style rpg tree for Mirage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh-3zAcJu4o

This is a course correction I've been wanting so I hope it actually works out.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Nowadays I wish Ubisoft were less próbę to course change as I'd love to have a clone of Odyssey in a different setting. But it's great they're looking for something new even if they frame it as return to the roots which it totally isn't.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh yeah I'm fine with the more combat focused and magical ability version of AC we have today as long as each game feels like a coherent vision and doesn't have stuff packed in because it feels like an exec said it was a box that needed ticking.

Not much to go on, but I'm also getting the vibe that the 'cookie cutter Ubisoft open world game' design they've forced on everything they made for the last 10 years is also getting toned down a bit which would be nice.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think this design was dead since Syndicate and even there it was left by the forces of inertia. AC2, 3 and Unity and Far Cry 3-4 all felt like their open world was designed by an algorithm spawning challenges and collectibles. But ever since Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry 5 and AC Origins & Co. These worlds are different from each other and none of them feels like going through the checklist. Ubisoft still pays for the reputation of open world assembly line, and I haven't played some other of their games, maybe they're still like that. And Valhalla and WD Legion felt a little bit like a step back. But for me the worlds itself (not the story, writing, and usually not gameplay) feel top notch in latest Ubisoft games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ilitarist posted:

Nowadays I wish Ubisoft were less próbę to course change as I'd love to have a clone of Odyssey in a different setting. But it's great they're looking for something new even if they frame it as return to the roots which it totally isn't.

Odyssey was fun but it'd be cool of Ubisoft to make more like that without making them be AC titles. Ezio was just a landed Lothario who specialized in sneaking & shivving. Whereas Kassandra was a demi-god who waged war openly on the battlefield. I only see one of those as an assassin.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ilitarist posted:

I think this design was dead since Syndicate and even there it was left by the forces of inertia. AC2, 3 and Unity and Far Cry 3-4 all felt like their open world was designed by an algorithm spawning challenges and collectibles. But ever since Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry 5 and AC Origins & Co. These worlds are different from each other and none of them feels like going through the checklist. Ubisoft still pays for the reputation of open world assembly line, and I haven't played some other of their games, maybe they're still like that. And Valhalla and WD Legion felt a little bit like a step back. But for me the worlds itself (not the story, writing, and usually not gameplay) feel top notch in latest Ubisoft games.

id say its hasnt been a checklist since syndicate. they mostly seem to be borrowing from witcher 3 honestly when it comes to world design and quest layout, which isnt a bad. the new games, the worlds and the world building usually is the best part.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
i didnt play anything since origins cause when I hit a dude with a sword i wanna see blood fly outta him, not freaking numbers

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You can turn numbers off. They don't mean much anyway cause you never see enemy stats like HP or defense. Seriously, go play Origins, it's the one that nobody hates.

For me a thing that makes previous games much much harder to swallow is the map. You're supposed to look in the corner of the screen all the time, and turning it off is clearly against the design of the game so you can't just turn it off. The compass and bird combination is so much better in terms of immersion even if it changes the stealth mechanics.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ilitarist posted:

You can turn numbers off. They don't mean much anyway cause you never see enemy stats like HP or defense. Seriously, go play Origins, it's the one that nobody hates.

For me a thing that makes previous games much much harder to swallow is the map. You're supposed to look in the corner of the screen all the time, and turning it off is clearly against the design of the game so you can't just turn it off. The compass and bird combination is so much better in terms of immersion even if it changes the stealth mechanics.

its also the most witcher 3 of the new games, and its fun to get lost in the sidequests and just loving around. odyssey probably has better combat expirence but origins is better overall.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

odyssey probably has better combat expirence but origins is better overall.

Odyssey has better everything, as far as I am concerned, but it partly depends on how much you like deserts.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

No point in arguing over subjective love for specific settings, especially when we can all agree that Valhalla is the worst.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

valhalla has the best music of those three, but the audio mixing in that game is so bad you can't hear it properly most of the time

but, if you are a nerd like me who listens to video game music outside of video games, its worth checking out

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1679855224503033857?s=20

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

will I feel the hay

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Wearing my special gaming suit to play a Ubisoft game

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Sorry, what sensations have Ubisoft come up with that we've never felt before.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ilitarist posted:

will I feel the hay

yes and also the concrete if you gently caress it up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

The touch of a lover

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Deformed Church posted:

a sense of unity in this cold desolate world

cumming but twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If they've created exclusive sensations will they copyright them? Will a competing haptic gamer suit be able to make me feel I'm making GBS threads out of my nipples if Ubisoft got to it first?