Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

She's not afraid of losing the "liberal/centrist but wealthy" money, what's their alternative? Sanders? Bush?

What "liberal/centrist but wealthy" money? That's the thing: Democratic big donors are mostly the traditional model (finance/lawyers/whoever) who can afford to donate the contribution limit or maybe a little bit more, but can't go out and dump half a billion on an election. The people CU really helped? They're mostly Republicans.

Democrats, whether for pragmatic or ideological reasons, simply have no situation in which they aren't better off overturning CU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Third World Reggin posted:

what is this poo poo

no trump no sanders no fun

They have not been endorsed by any members of Congress or Governors.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This get posted yet?

It's made of sandstone.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
And yet the weirdest part is that it looks like Chris Christie's face.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

According to Eleanor Holmes Norton, Hillary wants DC statehood.

The next time democrats have both houses and the presidency, goal #1 should be DC statehood and #2 should be Puerto Rico statehood. 4 new senators that will always be democrats and flag industry stimulus? Yes please.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JeffersonClay posted:

The next time democrats have both houses and the presidency, goal #1 should be DC statehood and #2 should be Puerto Rico statehood. 4 new senators that will always be democrats and flag industry stimulus? Yes please.

I wouldn't be so sure about Democrats dominating the Puerto Rico Senatorial elections. Their gubernatorial elections are neck-and-neck.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Skwirl posted:

This get posted yet?

It's made of sandstone.

The hair is way too normal

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Joementum posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about Democrats dominating the Puerto Rico Senatorial elections. Their gubernatorial elections are neck-and-neck.

This would be after a political campaign to grant Puerto Rico statehood which Republicans would likely fight tooth and nail with all the fury of Donald Trump's nuanced immigration plan, so you can bet they'd be Democratic after that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The X-man cometh posted:

The hair is way too normal

It hasn't endured years of being shoved up an rear end like the real thing has.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

It hasn't endured years of being shoved up an rear end like the real thing has.

Nahh, the real thing has only been placed on an rear end for years.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nahh, the real thing has only been placed on an rear end for years.

True, he probably takes it off to keep it from getting wrinkled but hangs it right outside for quick access.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Dolash posted:

This would be after a political campaign to grant Puerto Rico statehood which Republicans would likely fight tooth and nail with all the fury of Donald Trump's nuanced immigration plan, so you can bet they'd be Democratic after that.

Statehood is also a very divided issue on the island, as granting it would change the tax status of its citizens.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I want to believe.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Statehood is also a very divided issue on the island, as granting it would change the tax status of its citizens.

It's weird though, the anti-statehood (and thus anti-tax and anti-US-welfare) party is described as center left whereas the pro-statehood party (pro-tax, pro-US-welfare) is described as center-right.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Joementum posted:

If they don't get bailed out of their financial situation like Detroit was, wouldn't statehood be the only choice left for them to get financial protection from the federal government?

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 15, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Joementum posted:

And I'm sure the Republicans would fight it on those grounds, rather than getting confused about what Puerto Rico even is and claiming Hillary's importing millions of illegals or other such nonsense. I imagine sentiment in favor of Statehood might harden if the Republicans imply they can't have it because they're too brown.

Edit: Actual ethnic makeup of Puerto Rico being irrelevant to the same hysterical base that made Trump a frontrunner, I imagine.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

pathetic little tramp posted:

Scott Walker: "Let's save money by shopping at Kohl's"? Is Kohl's what rich people think poor people shopping is?

This was so far back but I really have to say this. I hate Kohl's with the passion of a burning sun.

There is always a sales at Kohl's. Why? Because they're markups are so high that they can drop them arbitrarily and make a ridiculous profit. White suburbanites eat that poo poo up. "Oh, I got this great deal at Kohl's."

No, trust me, you didn't.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

What "liberal/centrist but wealthy" money? That's the thing: Democratic big donors are mostly the traditional model (finance/lawyers/whoever) who can afford to donate the contribution limit or maybe a little bit more, but can't go out and dump half a billion on an election. The people CU really helped? They're mostly Republicans.

Democrats, whether for pragmatic or ideological reasons, simply have no situation in which they aren't better off overturning CU.

I think we agree on that.

I just think Clinton is also going to get a pile of cash from the former Rockefeller Republican wing because the Republican party has veered towards the crazy right.

Even Jeb can't be in favor of a sensible immigration policy or increased infrastructure spending in the primary.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

JeffersonClay posted:

It's weird though, the anti-statehood (and thus anti-tax and anti-US-welfare) party is described as center left whereas the pro-statehood party (pro-tax, pro-US-welfare) is described as center-right.

It's more that the lefty anti-statehood people want greater, if not complete sovereignty for the island, while the pro-statehood party wants to be republicans, more or less.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Joementum posted:

FiveThirtyEight has a truly excellent page listing campaign endorsements and providing an explanation of their importance.

It'll be in the OP.

Mitch McConnell endorsed Rand Paul for President?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Dolash posted:

Puerto Ricans are US citizens, so they do not need to immigrate. They get all the benefits of people born in Delaware, like running for president.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DutchDupe posted:

Mitch McConnell endorsed Rand Paul for President?

They're both senators from KY and while they have different bases, they've realized that they can tap both of them effectively come election time if they put on a show of being close.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

I want to believe.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Great_Gerbil posted:

This was so far back but I really have to say this. I hate Kohl's with the passion of a burning sun.

There is always a sales at Kohl's. Why? Because they're markups are so high that they can drop them arbitrarily and make a ridiculous profit. White suburbanites eat that poo poo up. "Oh, I got this great deal at Kohl's."

Prices are adjusted regionally too. I grew up in West Virginia and the prices at Kohl's were actually pretty decent — lots of nice shirts in the $10-15 range. I shopped there a ton as a teenager/young adult.

In a nicer part of Virginia when they opened a new Kohl's, the same exact items were at least double that.

People still ate it up though, because they were so drat excited that Kohl's came to town.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fojar38 posted:

I don't think that a President Sanders would be able to singlehandedly overturn Citizens United any more than a President Santorum would be able to re-outlaw gay marriage.

Rally Americans to the polls so a package of amendments can be written and passed to make America more democratic (both politically and economically) in the 21st century.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Great_Gerbil posted:

Excuse me, but according to Scott Walker, they actually sell things at a loss, and make it up by volume. :colbert:

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

McDowell posted:

Rally Americans to the polls so a package of amendments can be written and passed to make America more democratic (both politically and economically) in the 21st century.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this!?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McDowell posted:

Passing a constitutional amendment is so hard in modern politics that they couldn't get one passed saying women are equal to men. Getting something with an ounce of nuance would be impossible. Also straight democracy kinda sucks, California let's people amend the state constitution on a simple referndum, which has made our civil rights and economic policies very shaky in recent history.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jet fuel can't melt lead beams.

Also, too, American flag boy is back!! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUt-9J6bUg

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beforehand posted:

There's interest in maintaining (or eroding) the existing system of laws - not making radical changes. The right just offers little moral majority morsels (that likely wouldn't even pass if they did make the effort). Amendments explicitly defining marriage as heterosexual have been found incompatible with secular law - would Americans really vote for theocracy? The balanced budget (and monetary policy as a whole) is wonkish to public.

But who would poll on an amendment for publicly funded elections?

Or an amendment establishing information systems so there is a single market for food, housing, and work?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DaveWoo posted:

Excuse me, but according to Scott Walker, they actually sell things at a loss, and make it up by volume. :colbert:

SKW is a shrewd businessman.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"We need to launch a full investigation to determine how any of this makes any sense at all."

I wish I had some animation skills so I could edit some Fox News clips to show hannity eating a baby on air and launching a congressional investigation into fox. That's how this works right?

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012

McDowell posted:

There's interest in maintaining (or eroding) the existing system of laws - not making radical changes. The right just offers little moral majority morsels (that likely wouldn't even pass if they did make the effort). Amendments explicitly defining marriage as heterosexual have been found incompatible with secular law - would Americans really vote for theocracy? The balanced budget (and monetary policy as a whole) is wonkish to public.

But who would poll on an amendment for publicly funded elections?

Or an amendment establishing information systems so there is a single market for food, housing, and work?

I was just kidding - the American public doesn't get to vote on constitutional amendments, anyway, man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Jet fuel can't melt lead beams.

Mayor 911 should really see a doctor about his heart having relocated to his armpit.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

A Winner is Jew posted:

They're both senators from KY and while they have different bases, they've realized that they can tap both of them effectively come election time if they put on a show of being close.

McConnell will be 78 years old when his current term is up, I don't see him running again in 2020. If he wanted to, he could say gently caress it and endorse who he wanted. I can't imagine McConnell, the ultimate Washington insider is too fond of Paul who claims to be anything but.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beforehand posted:

Because that's not how passing amendments work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Someone in my neighborhood had a custom anti-Trump bumper sticker made:

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Passing a constitutional amendment is so hard in modern politics that they couldn't get one passed saying women are equal to men. Getting something with an ounce of nuance would be impossible. Also straight democracy kinda sucks, California let's people amend the state constitution on a simple referndum, which has made our civil rights and economic policies very shaky in recent history.

True, congress can't even pass a budget. constitutional stuff is way way way way out of their range. It's the political Special Olympics, you need to scale back your expectations.
(no offense intended to special Olympians, sorry for comparing you to dirty politicians)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Someone in my neighborhood had a custom anti-Trump bumper sticker made:

Did you key their car?

• Locked thread