Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that feels like a generous description of domon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah Domon's "job" can basically be summed up as "be Goku but with a robot"

is Gundam NT any good? i didn't really hear anything about it but Vigilante came up in my spotify and that song is a loving banger and it has me at least mildly interested now

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

No. The music and animation is good but the plot and characters are dull and boring.

Unless you like pointless flashbacks that break up pacing, if you like that then it should be your jam.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

it might just be he was always that bad

Amuro says that Tem has brain damage when he meets him again in Side 6 during the show, so I doubt it. It's possible Amuro is wrong I suppose, but it'd be weird for him to be wrong when the show barely focuses on that line and the story moves on from it completely almost immediately afterwards, and never goes back to it.

Xarbala posted:

Early Zeta Kamille is somehow incredibly relatable despite being rich.

It's probably because the story concentrates almost entirely on his problems, and the bad things in his life and anything good is basically just visible in the peripheral while showing his issues. The plot of the first few episodes is driven entirely by his reactions to problems in his life, and does a good job showing them off. We know he hates having a girl's name, that he has anger issues, that his parents are separated and have a large focus on work, that his father has a mistress and so on. You can infer he's pretty well off, that his mother is probably pretty caring despite work issues etc, but all of it is just inference, while the bad things in his life are explicit and take up way more time.

chiasaur11 posted:

There's also characters like Char and Reccoa, where their ages are workable for their roles, but they're still stretching things. Twenty years old for a Captain in wartime isn't unprecedented, especially with his talent and Zeon's limited personnel, but it's still unusual.

Reccoa has to be kind of young too, because she's explicitly a former child soldier from the One Year War. As such, she can't be more than 26 (19 during the One Year + 7 years). It also makes sense with her personality, since in a way she's quite naive, even if her goals are really hosed up due to the life she's lived. She just wants someone to need her and love her as a person after her parents were ripped away from her by the war (which is a parallel to Char, really) because she's spent the last 7 years as a soldier only appreciated for her usefulness as a tool. If she was older it'd seem odd that she was driven almost solely by her ideals and emotions and you would expect she'd either become so beaten down by life she's stopped caring or found some measure of happiness with that lifestyle the way Amuro did a few years later in Char's Counterattack.

I'd also argue that Char should be quite young as a way to highlight how the war has forced young people to the fore, as well as as a counterpoint to the idea of that young generation being the ones to solve the current issues. If Char was older he would represent the generation that hosed things up, rather than being someone who is so obsessed by his own problems that he refuses to engage with the greater issues around him despite being uniquely placed to galvanize support and fix them. The fact Char is a captain despite his age is probably meant to show Zeon's personnel shortage through world-building too, since Zeon are supposed to have exhausted most of their military strength during the first few weeks of the war and to be running on fumes since then, with a lot less man power and resources than they initially had because defending the colony as it was being transported to Earth cost them so much. Younger people like Char have to be pushed to the front, because they have no-one else.

Azran posted:

The beginning narration also shows you that the Gundams were mass produced. Given that the war wasn't that long ago, it'd make sense that it wouldn't be that much of a deal to have a Gundam, I guess?

We only see 1 Gundam X, 1 Gundam Airmaster and 1 Gundam Leopard during the opening prologue, and each of them is surrounded by about a dozen bit mobile suits (which don't have cockpits so far as we know) of the same style and not by other piloted Gundams. The Gundams are all in the center of a circle of a bit suits, and the surrounding bit suits all look visibly different in any shot where detail is visible. Which only makes sense, because why would you mass produce Newtype use mobile suits like the Gundams when Newtypes are so rare in Gundam X?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

yeah Domon's "job" can basically be summed up as "be Goku but with a robot"

Domon's "job" is also something he's actively forced in to by threat to his family, and he's only doing it under duress. It also isn't really a job, since he's basically at the Gundam Olympics and the Olympics are an amateur competition. He may be paid a livable wage, but that's certainly never said and by inference he probably isn't because most amateur athletes certainly aren't in the real world.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Azubah posted:

No. The music and animation is good but the plot and characters are dull and boring.

Unless you like pointless flashbacks that break up pacing, if you like that then it should be your jam.

is it at least on a 0083 level of "ignore the plot, enjoy the cool robots" or do the story flaws gently caress that up too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Airmaster was definitely mass produced, there's a spinoff manga where someone else has one, and it's definitely not the one from the show itself. The Leopard and Airmaster are still top of the line suits even without the bit system, it's not like funnels are their main weapon or anything like the Bertigo.

IIRC. Databooks and info blurbs in games specifically call out the Bertigo as limited production while making no note like that for the Airmaster and Leopard.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

tsob posted:

We only see 1 Gundam X, 1 Gundam Airmaster and 1 Gundam Leopard during the opening prologue, and each of them is surrounded by about a dozen bit mobile suits (which don't have cockpits so far as we know) of the same style and not by other piloted Gundams. The Gundams are all in the center of a circle of a bit suits, and the surrounding bit suits all look visibly different in any shot where detail is visible. Which only makes sense, because why would you mass produce Newtype use mobile suits like the Gundams when Newtypes are so rare in Gundam X?

Oh I noticed the GX Bits, but not the other ones. My bad!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

The Airmaster was definitely mass produced, there's a spinoff manga where someone else has one, and it's definitely not the one from the show itself. The Leopard and Airmaster are still top of the line suits even without the bit system, it's not like funnels are their main weapon or anything like the Bertigo.

IIRC. Databooks and info blurbs in games specifically call out the Bertigo as limited production while making no note like that for the Airmaster and Leopard.

It doesn't even really make sense that the Airmaster and Leopard have the Flash System in the first place, since their weaponry isn't something you can concentrate fire on to destroy huge targets like a colony. Nor are their weapons so powerful you'd want to lock their use behind a system that requires authorization like the Gundam X's satellite cannon. It's a cool idea to have bit mobile suits, but the show doesn't actually do anything with it and there's no real reason for them to exist. In show it's not like the Gundam X couldn't have been mass produced either, since the lock on the satellite system is only for the first use and anyone could use it after that point. Which was just a way to put Tiffa and Garrod in a cockpit together, and have Tiffa grant Garrod a power to save their lives more than likely. As is though, there's nothing in the show that implies any of the actual Gundams were mass produced and it's only supplementary that says so to my knowledge.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

is it at least on a 0083 level of "ignore the plot, enjoy the cool robots" or do the story flaws gently caress that up too

It's Unicorn Part 8 several years late to the party with editing on par with Twilight Axis. It was made to capitalize on the popularity of Unicorn and show off the Phenex suit but when it came time to write the story they dropped the ball.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

The story is abysmally terrible, but IMO what really kills the movie is the scripting; almost none of the beautiful action sequences are allowed to breathe uninterrupted by constant boring flashbacks, so you don't even get a Unicorn/Stardust "man the plot sucks but this is loving beautiful" feeling because you're constantly flashing from a tense mobile suit fight to a still shot of someone being sad.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

is Gundam NT any good? i didn't really hear anything about it but Vigilante came up in my spotify and that song is a loving banger and it has me at least mildly interested now

No. I've said before that I feel like the movie was just straight up put together wrong. There's some things interesting in it on paper, but it totally flops when you see those things on film. The action isn't BAD, but again the editing is just flat wrong so it repeatedly inserts flashbacks into action sequences, and given that there are only like 3 or 4 actual flashbacks having 15-20 flashback scenes is wrong. Shout-out also to them editing the reveal of a really major character turn so badly and having it make so little sense I honestly wasn't sure what the hell had happened, and doubling down on the shout-out because said character turn is the CENTRAL INCITING INCIDENT OF THE MOVIE.

Extra bonus points must also be given for getting across the motives of the main characters LONG after it would have been correct or interesting or dramatically appropriate. I also give extra extra special bonus points for having a main character with an interesting, even moving perspective that reads as a really intriguing foil to most of the other Unicorn characters and even Gundam Unicorn in general, and only getting this across halfway through the final fight scene about 10 minutes before the end of the movie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

https://twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/1323712091203710981
FYI, the Gundam SEED BDs that just came out seem to be using the wrong sources (broadcast instead of blu-ray). So while the rep I hear from SEED makes them kind of a dubious proposition to start, you may want to wait to pick them up if you want SEED BDs to see how this is sorted out.

The Ultra Edition SD on BD discs also have major black level issues.

lmao how do you gently caress up like this and not notice until after it ships?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd presume it's because everyone along the line just saw what they were doing as their job, with no passion for the particular title they were working on. They probably process tens or hundreds of DVD sets a year, so they can't afford to pay too much attention to one unless it's a big project or someone on the staff personally cares about it, more than likely. Each person doing a part of it just did what they were told or what their job normally entails with what they were given by the previous person on the chain, and no-one was paid to double-check "Hey, is this the right master?". So no-one did, because why would they think it wasn't?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/RedMufflerMan/status/1282795794689654784?s=20

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, that actually made me super anxious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

that feels like a generous description of domon

Granted.

But he is still the only TV Gundam protagonist to be over 18 when he first appears (Asemu starts out at 18 on the dot), and he does have to do things like head back to Neo Japan when his bosses want rather than just being a wandering kung fu guy who does whatever he feels like. It doesn't seem like an amateur competition either, given how Chibodee is a pro boxer with a 99 and 0 record when we meet him. (Also, you know. If you give someone a five story killbot, you probably should pay him if you aren't strapping a bomb to him.

Going back to ages, Reccoa is 23, which feels a bit younger than her appearance and attitude suggest. Again, it's not absurd, just a touch odd, especially with Emma being 24. (Which feels right on the money for her level of experience and general relationship with the rest of the cast. She's a trained soldier with a good enough record to be picked as a test pilot for a Gundam project, but she hasn't been with the Titans long enough to know what they're really like. Also, right between the ages for Kamille to think "Substitute mother figure!" and "Girlfriend!". Kamille's got issues.)

And yeah, Narrative is quite bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Man, that actually made me super anxious.

I was expecting the horn blasts to go every beat towards the end.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I like how toward the end of the original Gundam show the music gets a little more subdued and dramatic, but when Char shows up his super colourful theme song with the horns and poo poo starts playing.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Zeta gundam has a good ost. 0079’s ost was good too.

I got to the Rosami Arc in Zeta and I guess her thing is she has fake memories of being kamille’s brother? I feel like Four was a more effective cyber-newtype character because while she had cyber newtype induced madness she could also act like a normal girl sometimes which made her whole thing of being a human weapon more tragic.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Zeta had atleast two writers ignoring each other's plotlines iirc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rosamia sucks

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Zeta had atleast two writers ignoring each other's plotlines iirc

Not always ignoring, but even when they acknowledged each other's plotlines, they tended to try to shove them in different directions.

Mobile Suit Breakdown talks about Fa as one of the most obvious points of conflict. Akinori Endō had Fa as basically Frau again in her role, with her attempts to pilot being treated as a punchline, while Yumiko Suzuki has Fa as a capable pilot who is, if not on the level of Char or even Roberto, certainly a cut about the background fodder.

This, obviously, lead to a certain amount of contradictions when watching a bunch of episodes in a row, even aside from how subplots would vanish and reappear as the writers alternated.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

dogsicle posted:

rosamia sucks

Just the weirdest stuff

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Zeta gundam has a good ost. 0079’s ost was good too.

I got to the Rosami Arc in Zeta and I guess her thing is she has fake memories of being kamille’s brother? I feel like Four was a more effective cyber-newtype character because while she had cyber newtype induced madness she could also act like a normal girl sometimes which made her whole thing of being a human weapon more tragic.

Yeah her thing is false memories of being related to Kamille. Rosamia sucks but she has it rough, at least Four knew she'd been messed with! They just put Rosamia's brain in a blender, went to town and went "yeah, making her act like an 8 year old seems fine for operation: make the AEUG Ace babysit an unstable superhuman with the mind of a child"

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
It's been a while since I saw the later parts of Zeta but I didn't imagine a whole thing where it's implied rosamias fake memories were based off the image of a family that comes with a picture frame right?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I think you are correct.

Tragicomic to the extreme.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i liked it better in zz when they do it with chara, since she's less of a drag on the show

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Until he blew up Marshmellow was having a whale of a time too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Until he blew up Marshmellow was having a whale of a time too.

Not really. Man seemed genuinely traumatised by his augmentation and his part in the Dublin drop.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

F91's gonna be up on the official gundaminfo youtube channel today, if anyone hasn't seen it. It's not very, uhhh, good, but it's got some interesting bits and one or two well-executed sequences.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

F91 might have made a good series, but it doesn't make a good movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just get hosed up before you watch it

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
How long will F91 stay on?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not even two hours and it's got gorgeous animation and designs. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I liked F91, but yeah, going from series to movie clearly hurt it a lot.

Eternal Wind is still one of my favorite Gundam themes though.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I’ve got a huge soft spot for F91 but it’s not very good.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

F91 has one of the best Guntanks and that counts for a lot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The f91 is one of the all time best gundam designs so for that reason alone I can't hate the movie.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
F91 needed to at least be an OVA if not a full series just so the plot can actually happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
AU as a concept began with G Gundam, right? I've never watched Victory or F91 but I'd always wondered if they would've been UC shows at all had that concept existed at the time, but apparently F91 was also directed by Tomino so I assume he just likes to make settings weirder as they move on in time?