Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blizzard must have put the only intern who knows how to make a webpage onto the D4 team. I went to diablo3.com, clicked the link for the PTR announcement, and got this:

This us.diablo3.blizzard.com page can’t be found
No webpage was found for the web address: https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/blog/23987087/diablo-iii-ptr-276-%7C-preview-8-11-2023
HTTP ERROR 404
:blizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
It doesn't like the "|" being in the URL (%7C); if you remove that it works

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
ptr got delayed, now they're saying it should be up tomorrow

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
im probably going to play the ptr but not the actual season, the altar just had too much qol stuff for me to play d3 without it

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
The PTR is up! These new rift portals are pretty fun, every floor is a small arena filled with one to five (or more?) elite packs. The new effects are pretty brutal but I can't imagine it will be a problem by endgame. It went about a dozen levels deep and on the final one was a normal treasure goblin and a chest with bounty mats, though I never ran across any bosses. The settings vary a lot too, it's not just stuff from the normal rift layouts but also campaign events like the Pandemonium Fortress battering ram and even fighting in the middle of New Tristram.

They'll also be great for leveling because the elite packs in these things are dropping DBs at any level. I stumbled into one at level 8 and started seeing them immediately, and by level 20 I've got more than enough to fill out the cube.

Hopefully this turns into another permanent fixture like Echoing Nightmares.

As for SSF, it looks like the stash and mats are shared across all your Solo characters but not with non-Solo. Not sure how that works in other games but figured I'd experiment.

edit: The new pet is a cool purple bird, the new portrait border is the skeleton king, and the free sets are Might/Invoker/Shadow/SWK/Jade/FB/Inarius.

I really miss the dodge roll from D4

Swilo fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 16, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nice, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can try it out tonight. I just wish they wouldn't make you level to 70 during it, trivial as it may be.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
blue post about the new portal mechanics

quote:

Appreciate the feedback! The Diabolical Fissures are normalized from 1-70 to ensure players will have a smooth time learning while leveling.

After 70 they progressively get harder each time a player dives deeper. The % of items dropped and the quality of items are also increased as you go down.

We’re absolutely open to feedback about how difficult it feels, rewards, and will continue to look at forums and other places to gather that feedback.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I only played until just after 70 so big grain of salt here. The portals are kinda odd. They open and then there's a ton of nasties with big debuffs. It feels really tough when leveling and super dangerous even on hard difficulty. Randomly the next portal will open when there are still a lot of dudes left which is strange to me. It was about a dozen levels and completely different stuff each time. One time I had a ton of goblins and a billion of the little vault dweller guys spawned and killed my weak rear end before I could kill a single goblin, lol. Other times it's a few bosses, or like 5 elite packs. The final level had a goblin that didn't despawn or portal out, and it eventually dropped the final chest. You can get GR keys on the final floor it seemed (not sure I saw them before that or I just wasn't 70 yet). Tons of dbs to be had which will be nice when leveling but pretty irrelevant after you have sages online. I was only on T3 for leveling but the loot wasn't anything special, only a couple legendaries until the final floor. I imagine on T16 it will get silly as you go further down. I already had to port several times to salvage junk, definitely was quantity over quality. The pet auto salvaging from last season would be pretty nice right now...

All in all it's a neat thing to have but just ok as the final theme IMO. :( I could see them adding it to the core game but who knows about the final patch and how it will work yet. It's the first time in a long, long time I'm debating not playing the season. Looking it up, I've only skipped 3 seasons ever (4,7,9). The only thing that will be interesting is the paragon system cap which I didn't mess with at all. It may change some builds a slightly but overall the ceiling is going to be lower for me as a player at least. I'm sure some crazies will still figure out a way to do 150s.

S28 really was a high note and it's hard to top it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I got to 70 as a DH and put together a sloppy UE set to run through some T16 Visions. A portal to a deeper level will always spawn until you come across a final level with a treasure goblin who drops a chest, but how many floors there are in total is random and doesn't seem to depend on difficulty or performance. The deeper you can go the more that chest drops. On a 2-deep run it had 20 bounty mats but on a 10+ it gave me 40. I'm not sure if the other loot was better or more plentiful because of the PTR boosts. The overworld entrance portals are very frequent, I never had to go more than 2 high density zones before another would open and often would get 1-2 per. They have a map icon and an arrow like bounty objectives if you blow past them, which is nice. The loot was toooooooooons of DBs but otherwise unremarkable until the chest. When you encounter rift guardians they will drop mostly what you expect, including keystones but no blood shards. There can be multiple rift guardian floors within a single vision.

I want the autosalvage pet so much.

edit: forgot to mention, SSF gets its own Season Journey progress separate from regular and presumably you could get one Haedrig's Gift for each mode

Swilo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 17, 2023

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Funny how they removed the "Ranged hits burn 16% of your resource" in Diablo IV because it was completely unfun, annoying and made it almost unplayable (oddly enough, they introduced a malignant gem thingy that negates the effect almost completely, but they still nuked that particular nightmare dungeon affix), and now they introduce a "burn 65% resource on (any) hit".

Ah well. Sounds underwhelming as a whole, but everything would have after S28.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Will Crusaders and Witch Doctors finally become meta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9-Nl-SFZ-E

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Hopefully. Haven't played either of them in ages.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
SSF means no split bounties?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
SSF means no party, because it stands for Solo Self-Found. Unless I'm missing something?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Right. It's single player mode. But still online.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
After messing around for a few hours trying different builds out they are definitely going to have to get rid of the resource drain boss mod. Holy poo poo that is awful and completely unfun. Just completely gimps your character.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Im_Special posted:

Will Crusaders and Witch Doctors finally become meta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9-Nl-SFZ-E

If wizards, necromancers, and demon hunters still exist, then no.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crusader is the worst performing class in D3, ironically because despite being huge walking steel fortresses they're quite squishy. Something that helps them speedfarm better isn't bad but it's not what they need the most.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Right. It's single player mode. But still online.

It's how I'm playing the game anyways, fun to have a more realistic leaderboard esp. with the Paragon cap.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
As long as you can still get the bounty mats in the seasonal rifts when it goes live I think SSF will be a lot of fun. Doing an entire set of bounties solo really sucks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The problem is that you find the portals... While doing bounties.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

exquisite tea posted:

...ironically because despite being huge walking steel fortresses they're quite squishy.

Hey buddy, everyone knows that Wizards are the tanks in an RPG, and it's a little to late to change that kind of mentality now, so here we are.

The Crusaders, is just around for moral support, like a Bard.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Suburban Dad posted:

The problem is that you find the portals... While doing bounties.

Oh, I see. Well, see you next next season!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Crusader is the worst performing class in D3, ironically because despite being huge walking steel fortresses they're quite squishy. Something that helps them speedfarm better isn't bad but it's not what they need the most.

It's a shame because they were pretty cool on release, albeit a bit clunky, but the game as a whole was clunkier then. It feels like since after thorns became a thing the dev team refused to go all in on giving them some meta defining love on any given season. Just a few half baked set updates or new sets.

Come on Blizz, just push some dials and turn up some multipliers.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Crusader was far and away the best boss killer in the game from s19-s22, bombardment was the default trash killer in s25 with the soul shards, and double valor is still (after probably 4 different nerfs since s19) competitive with basically anything that isn't double wizard on nonseason 150s. Very ignored and undertuned class, that one.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Crusader was far and away the best boss killer in the game from s19-s22, bombardment was the default trash killer in s25 with the soul shards, and double valor is still (after probably 4 different nerfs since s19) competitive with basically anything that isn't double wizard on nonseason 150s. Very ignored and undertuned class, that one.

It certainly is no witch doctor.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Latest update to PTR from 3 days ago

August 23 PTR Update
Gameplay Updates
Class Balance
* Cluckeye now only drops for Witch Doctors.
* As a result, Cluckeye no longer spawns with the Max Discipline secondary attribute.
* Cluckeye has been updated in Djank Mi’em’s Follower Items bag.

Orek’s Dream
* Toxic Lurker (Monster Set 8) and Dark Berserker (Monster Set 1) have been removed. Summoner Charger (Monster Set X), and Lacuni Slasher (Monster Set X) have been added in their place.

Bug Fixes
Diabolical Fissures
* Diabolical Fissures now denote on screen and in the chat box once spawned.
* Diabolical Fissures can no longer spawn in Greed's Realm.
* The placeholder text for the Chest at the end of a Diabolical Fissure has been replaced with a message.

Stability
* Fixed a crash that could occur when players opened achievements.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Latest update to PTR from 3 days ago

Orek’s Dream
* Toxic Lurker (Monster Set 8) and Dark Berserker (Monster Set 1) have been removed. Summoner Charger (Monster Set X), and Lacuni Slasher (Monster Set X) have been added in their place.

it's been hilarious that the entire time Orek's Dream existed they haven't had the best mob set in the game (Slashers) as part of it but they did have one of the worst (big spiders).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Season 28 End Date Announced

Hello all -

Season 28 is coming to a close. Below are the times when Season 28 will end for each region.

North America - September 10 at 5pm PDT
Europe - September 10 at 5pm CEST
Asia - September 10 at 5pm KST

We will be providing a Season 29 preview soon which will include the start time for the next season. Stay Tuned!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That means I'll probably miss the season start. I'm curious if they change much from ptr.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Season 29 starts Sept. 15th. Confirmed it's the last new season :smith: but more balance changes can still happen at least.

https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-...jI3Ny42MC4wLjA.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Looks like the only notable change from PTR is they killed off the resource burn affix. Paragon cap is still 800, no tweaks to new Crusader and Witch Doctor stuff, same list of bug fixes.

And they've got the worst set of conquests again, which I had hoped would be mixed around. The Thrill and Avarice are a joke but then your third has to be either the entire campaign in one hour, clearing GR55 with 6 sets, or mastering 8 set dungeons.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 8, 2023

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Of course this drops on the first kill

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Heh.

I managed to get to 70 and do a round of bounties before calling it a night. It's so hard to do bounties because those portals pop up for nearly every one and are very rewarding. And they port you back to town when they're done, loving up any progress you had made.

I wonder if skipping the journey and just doing those would be the better play but I'm almost through chapter 4 anyway.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Suburban Dad posted:

Heh.

I managed to get to 70 and do a round of bounties before calling it a night. It's so hard to do bounties because those portals pop up for nearly every one and are very rewarding. And they port you back to town when they're done, loving up any progress you had made.

I wonder if skipping the journey and just doing those would be the better play but I'm almost through chapter 4 anyway.

At least once you've done one set of act 2-5 bounties you only have to do act 1 until you get a rorg, the portals give so many bounty materials you'll never have to do more of them.

Same with GR keys. I've only done three normal rifts and have hundreds of keys

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I want to give SSF a try. Since you can't get a PL that way, what's the best class for quick and/or easy leveling?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kheldarn posted:

I want to give SSF a try. Since you can't get a PL that way, what's the best class for quick and/or easy leveling?

Demon hunter has the best chance to get a good leveling weapon

https://maxroll.gg/d3/resources/season-start-1-70-leveling-guide

But if you fail the upgrade like I did with wizard, the seasonal mechanic gives dbs so you can try again at some point.

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal
If anyone's still playing Diablo 3 on Switch, my friend code is SW-4104-8297-3713

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
can fissurs appear in rifts? i wiffed my upgrade and want to try again but ive only seen them running bounties and im rift levelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
They only appear in the open world, not inside rifts or GRs, not inside goblin portals or cow portals, etc. They're very common and easy to find if you visit any super dense zone like festering woods or fields of misery.

Kheldarn posted:

Monk if you gamble the mystic ally boots is probably the best, those alone will carry you to 70 with no effort using water ally. Necro if you gamble the corpse explode gloves is also a strong contender.