Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Eh gently caress it I forgot the Orville was on tonight so I'm just gonna skip through this episode to find out

1) Whether Riker agrees to help eventually and
2) What exactly saved Worf and why Clinton was considered a villain, other than Vince Foster and Benghazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Worf just lost to his most fearsome opponent yet: a barrel

FAPPO!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

- Oh right that rear end in a top hat Riker weaseled out of it by forcing Worf to have his son do it
- Worf's spinal cord by itself in some fluid is extremely grody
- Picard was right about absolutely everything
- The ending where Worf gets over himself and has Alexander help him recover makes me wanna cry

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Worf just lost to his most fearsome opponent yet: a barrel

All that technology and they can't even put a railing around their barrels.

I'd love to have been in the room when this script was pitched. "What if Worf was paralyzed and had to choose between Klingon honor and sacrificing pride to accept help?" "Ooh, cool. How does it happen? Battle wound? Console explosion?" "Nah, get this; an unsecured barrel falls on him."

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 29, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All that technology and they can't even put a railing around their barrels

Yeah you'd think they could equip all their barrels and crates and stuff with an anti-grav unit or something that turned on when it sensed a rapid fall to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Pakled posted:

Where's that mock-up of a Star Trek E/N with multiple threads about Worf wanting to kill himself

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Pakled posted:

Yeah you'd think they could equip all their barrels and crates and stuff with an anti-grav unit or something that turned on when it sensed a rapid fall to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Or have the computer turn down the gravity in the room when it senses something is falling at unsafe speeds. I mean, the ship already has technology that holds everything in place and prevents everyone from getting flattened by inertia when the ship suddenly accelerates to superluminal speeds. Surely that tech could be applied to keep people from being crushed by falling objects.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Should have been paralyzed in a shuttle crash and then they beam him out and he's fixed by the transporter and they make an army of Worfs and they all kill themselves because of something about honor.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Should have been paralyzed in a shuttle crash and then they beam him out and he's fixed by the transporter and they make an army of Worfs and they all kill themselves because of something about honor.

Fffffff. I didn't even think about how the transporter could fix him. Based on how they used the transporter to fix Pulaski's old person disease, I see no reason they couldn't run Worf through the transporter and just replace his spine with the one from his most recent transport pattern.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Does TOS have a designated worst episode?

Mountaineer posted:

Fffffff. I didn't even think about how the transporter could fix him. Based on how they used the transporter to fix Pulaski's old person disease, I see no reason they couldn't run Worf through the transporter and just replace his spine with the one from his most recent transport pattern.

Like a System Restore but with spines

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If we're gonna do that we may as well talk about the transporter being used to copy rather than destructively move data/people, and about pooping in the holodeck

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

vermin posted:

"The Alternative Factor" has no redeeming qualities.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

vermin posted:

And the Children Shall Lead?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

vermin posted:

The popular answer is Spock's Brain but I think The Alternative Factor is much worse.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mountaineer posted:

Or have the computer turn down the gravity in the room when it senses something is falling at unsafe speeds. I mean, the ship already has technology that holds everything in place and prevents everyone from getting flattened by inertia when the ship suddenly accelerates to superluminal speeds. Surely that tech could be applied to keep people from being crushed by falling objects.
Uh excuse me but *hnf hnf* I think you'll find that if the object is already going at an unsafe speed, turning down the gravity would, at most, have a marginal effect on the safety of personnel struck by the items, such as Lt. Worf in this episode. What you're looking for is a protective forcefield.

I do wonder why they didn't just have some pro wrestler in makeup on an away mission hit Worf with a spine breaker. Probably to save money.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

If we're gonna do that we may as well talk about the transporter being used to copy rather than destructively move data/people, and about pooping in the holodeck

Ok.

I have several opinions about pooping on the holodeck. For one thing, getting the computer to tell you when someone is pooping on the holodeck and then turning it off is the best prank.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

vermin posted:

Zurui posted:

"The Alternative Factor" has no redeeming qualities.

Arglebargle III posted:

And the Children Shall Lead?

It's one of these two. I think the latter is possibly worse, but they're both down there.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Nessus posted:

Uh excuse me but *hnf hnf* I think you'll find that if the object is already going at an unsafe speed, turning down the gravity would, at most, have a marginal effect on the safety of personnel struck by the items, such as Lt. Worf in this episode. What you're looking for is a protective forcefield.

But in my post I addressed that by noting that the ship already has the technology to alter an object's inertia. :colbert:

I haven't actually seen all of TOS, but I've always thought Charlie X was the worst episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charlie X is hilarious. I love that the Enterprise has a gym where men just practice flipping each other.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Charlie X is fine. It's kind of a halfway point between Where No Man Has Gone Before and Miri. I enjoy Kirk's well-meaning but extremely fumbling attempt to explain the difference between romance and sexual harassment, and as creepy as Charlie is, there is something genuinely upsetting about the position he has been put in and the fact that ultimately the crew can't really help him. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as Alternative Factor or Children Shall Lead by virtue of having a structured plot which is internally consistent and is acted out by characters who make sense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The guest star for and the children shall lead wasn't even an actor, he was some famous lawyer. They cast him because they'd already cast his kid in the episode. Don't the kids like summon a demon in that one too? How many episodes about literal magic are there in the original series?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arglebargle III posted:

The guest star for and the children shall lead wasn't even an actor, he was some famous lawyer. They cast him because they'd already cast his kid in the episode. Don't the kids like summon a demon in that one too? How many episodes about literal magic are there in the original series?

Melvin Belli, he was involved with the Zodiac case iirc.

There's Catspaw as well, and the one with Satan from TAS. Most of the time they lean more on the "alien technology" side of magic than on the "literal magic" side.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's not Spock's Brain; that episode is legitimately hilarious. I've read that the script was written as a joke, and I can believe it after watching the episode.

Threshold, Code of Honor and The Alternative Factor (which doesn't make any drat sense at all) are three of the leading contenders, in my opinion.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All that technology and they can't even put a railing around their barrels.

I'd love to have been in the room when this script was pitched. "What if Worf was paralyzed and had to choose between Klingon honor and sacrificing pride to accept help?" "Ooh, cool. How does it happen? Battle wound? Console explosion?" "Nah, get this; an unsecured barrel falls on him."

I was going to say they should be shrink-wrapped and/or banded together like in a current warehouse but looking at the episode they aren't even on pallets, they're just hand* stacked two high on a shelf. Unless they get transported directly up there (in which case why does it need to be that accessible?) why would you want to move 8 drums that probably weigh about 500 pounds individually instead of a single pallet of them? Whether you're using tractor beams, a hover dolly, or the power loader from Aliens that just seems tedious.

*For lack of a better term for individually loading cargo one at a time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The cargo in cargo bays has almost never made a lick of sense really

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Zutaten posted:

I liked it a lot when Burnham was talking to Sarek, and he apparently sat down somewhere on his end, so the hologram freaked out a bit and jittered him around the room before settling on the edge of a console as a good spot.

Yeah I actually liked that part too. Their technology isn't shown as completely perfect anymore. I mean in TNG the holodeck or whatever would often bug out, but it'd always be because of some outside interference or fuckup or Moriarty hologram, not because of imperfect design.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I actually liked that part too. Their technology isn't shown as completely perfect anymore. I mean in TNG the holodeck or whatever would often bug out, but it'd always be because of some outside interference or fuckup or Moriarty hologram, not because of imperfect design.

I dunno I'd say the holodeck safety system is one of the worst engineering ideas in fiction.

E: Granted we only ever see it fail but man it's the first thing to go every single time.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 29, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The weird thing about tos is every time they had a child actor it was just the ugliest kid. Even when it was a normal looking baby, the baby like Clint Howard grew up to be ugly.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The weird thing about tos is every time they had a child actor it was just the ugliest kid. Even when it was a normal looking baby, the baby like Clint Howard grew up to be ugly.

This is a bad thread to be complaining about the attractiveness of children in

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha fair point

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Holy poo poo that was Clint Howard. He just grew hair on the sides of his head and got a little taller.

vermin fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 29, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My 'not really Trekkie but has watched it a decent bit before because I am' family just watched Discovery and my sister spent the whole time going 'But that's not what Worf looked like!' and 'But if this is back before the originals why does it look so high-tech?' and 'But Captain Kirk didn't have holograms, did he?'.

Mum just thought that they weren't acting very Star Trek like and why were they so bad at their jobs.

That is all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 29, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I do have to wonder at the logic of using the TOS era and the Klingons to lure in casual fans, then redesigning everything so they're completely unrecognizable. I mean, I recognize they're Klingons because they're going on about Kahless and the Black Fleet and doing the Death Yell, but I'm not the person they need to convince to tune in...

greasynig
Aug 14, 2017

vermin posted:

I would say the City on the Edge of Forever. I could never sit through all of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has anyone had the dumb theory that the Mirror Universe is what happens if Kirk didn't let that lady in City on the Edge of Forever get hit by the bus? Just popped in my head

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm surprised Turnabout Intruder hasn't been nominated yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every time I see that episode name I think they're a Phoenix Wright game I missed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

[quote="“Al Borland Corp.”" post="“476883204”"]
Has anyone had the dumb theory that the Mirror Universe is what happens if Kirk didn’t let that lady in City on the Edge of Forever get hit by the bus? Just popped in my head
[/quote]
Haven't heard that one yet but considering that I guess it caused Nazis to win it would make sense

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Has anyone had the dumb theory that the Mirror Universe is what happens if Kirk didn't let that lady in City on the Edge of Forever get hit by the bus? Just popped in my head

Nah. The mirror universe is us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Some thoughts.

Badda Bing is a really fun episode and got a lol out of me for that shot where they're walking down the promenade, even though I've seen it like 3 times before. Good stuff.

The mirror universe episode arc in S4 of Enterprise is really, really boring? Also, lol at midriffs everywhere. I like Trip's Harvey Dent makeup.

Started Voyager for a second run through since I don't remember most of the eps. Bleh.

Anyway, what's striking me about Voyager is how unengaging it is. I find myself daydreaming, even with interesting episodes like Parallax - I'm a sucker for a good time travel / wormhole / blackhole / anomaly kind of episode.

But for the last few days I've watched a couple of eps a day, and I haven't thought about them at all afterward. In fact, I can't even remember the details of many of them. Voyager is just so easy to watch while doing something else, and if you actually try to watch it, you find yourself invariably thinking about other things while watching it. It almost aggressively tries to lose your attention.

In fact, the only things I'm remembering are things that happen to Harry Kim. They started right quick with Harry Kim Misery Express. In like episode 6 or something he's already been transdimensionally beamed into a freaking dead woman's coffin, lol, and then is held captive. I guess being given the throbbing pustule disease from The X-Files in the pilot was a good bit of series-long foreshadowing.

But that theme! God, I've just had that stuck in my head non-stop. To be honest, I think it might actually be my favorite.