Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

SiGmA_X posted:

I broke the rule this month. I converted a report I developed into a macro and distributed the output 2 days earlier than normal, in part because the CIO moved up his reporting schedule this month. The business was overjoyed. I quickly realized my error.

Rookie mistake, should've split the difference - send it only one day earlier, management still loves you just as much and you get a bonus day of sitting around and sipping La Croix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

SiGmA_X posted:

Omg 4/4 exams, done!! I was mildly worried when I logged in to see REG/AUD last night. Took long enough. Though I really only got serious with studying last winter. Application time, and then job hunt! (Financial analyst now [tier 3 of 4 in the actg track at my corporation] my bosses have wanted me to finally get licensed so I can rank up again/next spring, we have few to no senior analysts who aren't CPA's.)

Congrats! :unsmith:

Still 0/4 here :smith:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Blotto_Otter posted:

Rookie mistake, should've split the difference - send it only one day earlier, management still loves you just as much and you get a bonus day of sitting around and sipping La Croix.
I did put a very clear disclaimer in my email saying its not likely I can get it out this early in the future, etc., etc. I am pretty good at managing expectations with external parties - however, my direct bosses are well aware that any of my delay tactics are bullshit because I always beat timetables

Moneyball posted:

Congrats! :unsmith:

Still 0/4 here :smith:
Thanks Moneyball! You'll get it man. Focus is key - I wish I had focused more, and wasted less time. I started "studying" after 4th of July 2015. I don't even want to recount how many times I took exams... Though I really only put in the time to study for 5 of the sittings, the rest I probably shouldn't have wasted the time semi-studying or sitting for, let alone the money. The AUD I missed in Q1 by a few points (I'd have to look, but I think it was ...72? I got that on FAR once too FFS - not as annoying as a coworkers 74 though!) plus the 4 times I passed were the only ones I truly studied for, so really, Nov-Dec 2016, and Jan18-May18. I am still surprised I'm done, I thought I bombed REG after a couple of the TBS, but I got an 86 on it. I'm seriously amazed about that.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 28, 2018

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Congrats! As time goes on, I’m glad that I took the exams before the rework and also for my college program having us take the exams in our last semester of grad school in between 6 hours of easy courses. I don’t think I could muster the energy or focus to do the exams on top of working.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Democratic Pirate posted:

Congrats! As time goes on, I’m glad that I took the exams before the rework and also for my college program having us take the exams in our last semester of grad school in between 6 hours of easy courses. I don’t think I could muster the energy or focus to do the exams on top of working.
I wish I had that option! If not for my new manager helping to cut work down to 40~45hr/wk this year, I don't think I'd have passed. It's not like I didn't have the *time*, but after a 12hr day of doing a lot of brain-taxing work, I feel braindead.

I don't know how two of my bosses (director and ex-VP who changed divisions and got ANOTHER big promotion!) did it while working FT at Deloitte, at least one exam each during busy season... Then again, those two basically live at the office (and their titles/advancement vs age definitely show it paid off, but holy poo poo). Two of my other coworkers did it during ~4 months off between graduation and starting at their Big4 terms, and two friends-of-friends did that. It sounds ideal!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm supposed to be studying for my first the past month but I've only got maybe 5 hours of actual studying done, because work still exists and buying a house apparently also takes time.

Sigma, did you keep track of how many hours you studied for each section? I'm trying to settle on an arbitrary goal because in the past arbitrary goals have been the foundation of me actually doing anything.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Took Accounting 101 in March 2016 and passed my final section March 2018. If I can do it you can too, just put in the hours.

FAR 190 (probably only needed 150-160)
REG 122
AUD 88
BEC 50

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I think Johnny studied more than me for everything except BEC.

I studied and passed BEC in one shot with the Rogers videos + ~30hr of MCQs.

The rest of them, I took multiple times because I loving slacked off. I did the video lectures + maybe 10-20hr of MCQ's tops.

When I retook and passed AUD/REG/FAR, I put in around 40hr of MCQ's, plus re-writing Ninja Notes and commenting on poo poo (I hate hand writing poo poo but it helps), plus doing flashcards of MCQ's I struggled with for a few weeks. I also listened to the Ninja audio while doing chores and poo poo, 2x for each maybe?

I have no idea how much I learned and retained from the video lectures vs the MCQ's because it was so spread apart. I wish I had been diligent about it, I'd guess I probably would have needed about 100-120hr/section and maybe 60-70hr for BEC.

I *highly* suggest not slacking off or letting work get in the way. Dragging it out for nearly 3yrs was a drag.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
For what it's worth, the hourly targets Roger sets out:

FAR 123-164
REG 84-112
AUD 75-100
BEC 51-68

Only you really know how you best study, but for me taking notes was a colossal waste of time (reflected in the inflated hour count for FAR). For REG/AUD/BEC I just watched video lectures at 1.5-1.75x speed and drilled MCQs nonstop.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Had another problem on Thursday. The retiring accountant has continued to not introduce me to his clients. He still just wants to send an e-mail. My boss is getting annoyed about this, but she still hasn't done anything. She has told me to meet everyone who comes in the door.

So, I did so.

One day, I'm in my office and I hear a name that I know. This is a person whose return I prepared. I wanted to greet them. I go to do so and the same employee who yelled at me before is there. I introduce myself to the client and ask if I can handle it from here. The employee responds by screaming at me in front of the clients and saying "I've been doing this longer than you have." To avoid anything else happening in front of the clients, I wait till they leave and go to her office to have a meeting. I say politely "hey, I need to introduce myself to these clients. I'm going to be the only accountant in the office soon and I want them to know who I am. And I need them to trust me so can you please say things like that or scream at me in front of clients" She immediately begins yelling at me and saying "I've been doing this longer than you've been alive!"

I tell her I was just trying to introduce myself to the clients, that I knew she could handle it, and that I don't doubt her ability, just that I want the clients to know who I am before the accountant retires. She continues yelling at me before going "I have to get back to work" and dismissing me. I tell at her not to yell at me and leave.

My boss and the other employees meet me and start saying "We really have no idea what her problem is. She did the same thing to T and D (obviously not their names) for six months. So, maybe she'll stop. She has this problem of thinking that being here 8 years makes her above everyone else, despite she's just an entry level bookkeeper. And it really gets on everyone nerves. She's screamed at my assistant in front of interns who never respected my assistant again after that. She's even rude to the district manager and it really ticks us all off." But they also say "you just got to learn to deal with it because its how she is" Obviously, I'm summarizing the conversation.

So, I just go back to work.

Things are also getting weird. While the retiring accountant is giving me more work and I am talking to more clients and business, I've only sat in on one meeting. That's fine, but the reason I was there was disconcerting. I mentioned it to my boss and she said "yeah, but the problem with that is that the accountant who is retiring is a big Trump supporter and kind of a bigot. I think he only wanted you in there because the client was gay and he was afraid of being alone with a gay man. He's said some things in private that would have made me fire him, if I didn't know he was retiring anyway. " Now, I'm a bi man who is in the closet and that was really uncomfortable. Then she goes, "Yeah, both him and that other employee who yells at you (obviously she said the name but I'm keeping that secret) were obnoxious in 2016 about Trump and illegals and stuff. It's why I'm glad he's retiring and why I wish she stuck to her promise of retiring with him."

Then it kind of clicked. Remember those two other employees she treated like poo poo for a few months? They were Portuguese and Dominican. And I'm Puerto Rican. And apparently she went on about illegals and deportations. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but she is the only one who is really been hostile to me. So, I'm starting to wonder if she might be doing it because I'm hispanic.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Covok posted:

Had another problem on Thursday. The retiring accountant has continued to not introduce me to his clients. He still just wants to send an e-mail. My boss is getting annoyed about this, but she still hasn't done anything. She has told me to meet everyone who comes in the door.

So, I did so.

One day, I'm in my office and I hear a name that I know. This is a person whose return I prepared. I wanted to greet them. I go to do so and the same employee who yelled at me before is there. I introduce myself to the client and ask if I can handle it from here. The employee responds by screaming at me in front of the clients and saying "I've been doing this longer than you have." To avoid anything else happening in front of the clients, I wait till they leave and go to her office to have a meeting. I say politely "hey, I need to introduce myself to these clients. I'm going to be the only accountant in the office soon and I want them to know who I am. And I need them to trust me so can you please say things like that or scream at me in front of clients" She immediately begins yelling at me and saying "I've been doing this longer than you've been alive!"

I tell her I was just trying to introduce myself to the clients, that I knew she could handle it, and that I don't doubt her ability, just that I want the clients to know who I am before the accountant retires. She continues yelling at me before going "I have to get back to work" and dismissing me. I tell at her not to yell at me and leave.

My boss and the other employees meet me and start saying "We really have no idea what her problem is. She did the same thing to T and D (obviously not their names) for six months. So, maybe she'll stop. She has this problem of thinking that being here 8 years makes her above everyone else, despite she's just an entry level bookkeeper. And it really gets on everyone nerves. She's screamed at my assistant in front of interns who never respected my assistant again after that. She's even rude to the district manager and it really ticks us all off." But they also say "you just got to learn to deal with it because its how she is" Obviously, I'm summarizing the conversation.

So, I just go back to work.

Things are also getting weird. While the retiring accountant is giving me more work and I am talking to more clients and business, I've only sat in on one meeting. That's fine, but the reason I was there was disconcerting. I mentioned it to my boss and she said "yeah, but the problem with that is that the accountant who is retiring is a big Trump supporter and kind of a bigot. I think he only wanted you in there because the client was gay and he was afraid of being alone with a gay man. He's said some things in private that would have made me fire him, if I didn't know he was retiring anyway. " Now, I'm a bi man who is in the closet and that was really uncomfortable. Then she goes, "Yeah, both him and that other employee who yells at you (obviously she said the name but I'm keeping that secret) were obnoxious in 2016 about Trump and illegals and stuff. It's why I'm glad he's retiring and why I wish she stuck to her promise of retiring with him."

Then it kind of clicked. Remember those two other employees she treated like poo poo for a few months? They were Portuguese and Dominican. And I'm Puerto Rican. And apparently she went on about illegals and deportations. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but she is the only one who is really been hostile to me. So, I'm starting to wonder if she might be doing it because I'm hispanic.
Oh jesus. Is your office too small to have an HR dept? Sounds like this lady needs an Action Plan, aka documentation of her fireable offenses.

I would not be surprised if the "issue" was the combo of you being younger and less white.

Not that this helps you, but my director was brought in as manager at 28. She had precisely two direct reports who was younger than her: me and another accountant a couple years younger. The senior analysts (one down from manager & her prior position on a diff team) were mid 30s to early 50s, accountants spanned early 40s to late 50s. No one gave her any poo poo about age or anything. Nothing. She now has a couple dozen people reporting to her, managers and such, and I think there are two of us who are younger, maybe three. Again, no one gives a gently caress. One of the sr actg's who is very opinionated definitely graduated before my director was born, but the actg is super polite and trusts the directors opinion over her own - as long as the position can be explained, of course. As you should expect...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The office is very small, but we are a division of a multinational company. As a side-effect of my boss telling me to take diligent notes on how to improve the office, I actually do have a document listing all of her offenses in it, what day they happened, what was said, etc. It kind of helped that I kind of used it as a diary after a while so there are a lot of notes in there.

Things also got worse last Monday.

I'll give you the executive summary. I get an e-mail. I start working on it. She comes in and screams that was her client. Which is not how things work. One of the things my boss told me to fix was to let people know that no one "has clients" here. All clients belong to the corporate office. I don't say that, though. I'm tired. It's 10am. I tell her that I'll finish it because I started it. She calls one of my co-workers, the accountant I'm replacing, to take it from me. He asks if I know what I'm doing, I show I do, he says "okay."

I walk into her later in her office to drop something off and I tell her the truth. "Listen, I didn't mean any disrespect. I thought the e-mail was for me and started working on it. I know you could have handled it, but I already started it so I thought I'd finish it." This is true. I really did think the e-mail was for me. Also, for reference, my boss had instructed me to get familiar with the accounts, anyway, so this mix-up seemed like a decent opportunity and I did already do like 1/2 of it by the time she came to me.

She goes on a rant. And things start to get odd. She keeps comparing me to this one bookkeeper who left to go to college. On and on, she does. So, I just go "you know I'm not a bookkeeper, right? That I'm [insert name of retiring head accountant here]'s replacement, right?" Like, I realize that was bad, but my boss has been curious if she knew that and had mentioned it a lot of times how she was concerned how she was acting like my boss. Also, I was tired, she was yelling at me for the third time in a month, and it was 11am. I won't lie: I'm getting very worn done already from stress. The fact the boss' assistant let it slip that "if the transition doesn't go well and we lose too many businesses, corporate might just cut the entire division and lay everyone off and make this just a financial advisement and tax work office" had me on edge. I didn't ask for this level of responsibility, this was originally pitched as just replacing a senior accountant, not being a manager or saving an in-distress division.

Back to the point, she doesn't take this well. I can't tell if she was playing coy or legitimately did not know that. It's a very small office and I was introduced to everyone as that accountant's replacement. She starts screaming even louder and starts repeating "are you an enrolled agent? are you an enrolled agent?" She did that thing where you don't actually let the person answer, you just keep asking. I wanted to say I had my CPA books on my desk, since I did. Instead, I calmly (I never raised my voice this entire time), that "that only affects compensation, not your position in the company." Which is true. She then goes "you're not office manager, your boss is office manager." I go "that's true, but she put me in charge of the accounting and bookkeeping services as [retiring accountant's name]'s successor."

She goes silent for a bit. Then goes "I will have to talk to your boss about this because I refuse take orders from someone as young as you!" I have literally never given this woman an order in the entire time I've been there. I have never asked her for anything and, unless she started it, never talked back to her or treated her meanly. She is really trying my patience. Instead, I just calmly say "When she gets back from vacation, tell her." I really wanted to say "my boss hates you and told me it'd be okay to fire you on the first day of my job because she hates how nasty you are and wants to replace you with a part-time worker so I'm sure she'd love to hear that you refuse to work for me", but I don't. I just pack up and leave her office.

I really don't get her deal. If she thought she was going to replace the retiring accountant, then she was very mistaken. The office is failing. My predecessor has managed to single-handedly lose over 1.2 million dollars in a decade. They did not want to hire internally from the office. They wanted someone new. Admittedly, these details are secret and it took me awhile to learn all them. She also made enemies with the person who handles these kinds of promotions. Like she was nasty to my boss from my bosses first day on the job and has yelled at her and has been generally nasty. My boss was never going to promote her. And my boss couldn't promote her even if she wanted to because she doesn't meet the requirements of the position. And I understand that might make her mad but taking it out on me is really not what I need. I'm trying to settle into a new job, I'm trying to fix an entire office which I've already been told could get shut down if I don't turn it around, and my first cousin once removed just died of carbon monoxide poisoning. I don't really need her s*** too.

As one of my friends from KPMG put it, she just sounds like an all around miserable person. And that, considering what the assistant dropped, I might want to consider seeing what opportunities exist at other companies.

Edit: Also, let me clarify something, because it kind of confused me. Here is how the office works.

My boss is the head for the entire state. She only is in this office because it is close to her home. She has an assistant who only works for her.

I am replacing the accountant of the office, who runs the entire office. Me and him are the only accountants in the office. And, when he retires, I will be the only accountant in the office.

I have some bookkeepers in the office who report to me. The problem employee is a bookkeeper. She is the only one I have any problems with.

There is a financial advisor who works somewhat independently for the company and reports to no one and sets his own hour and schedule.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 4, 2018

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Covok posted:

I'll give you the executive summary.

What was the long version.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Covok posted:

I'll give you the executive summary.
Well loving a. That really sounds unpleasant.

I think whoever is in charge of the office needs to make order of reporting/management clear. It really should be the retiring accounting and the regional[/state] manager, but it sounds like this person only thinks they report to the accountant.

I'm not in management but I've assisted with performance plans for two employees, which led to their removal. I think you're going to have to do that. One of the people we removed was about 50, my manager and I were both late 20s at the time. I expect that was part of why that employee was so goddamn feckless.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

What was the long version.

I kind of lost control of it being an executive summary about halfway through. Like I said, the stress is getting to me. I know this will make me sound whiny, but, even when I worked in a factory, I was never yelled at by my boss or another employee. I'm usually considered pretty likable because I'm very agreeable, quick to help people, and generally don't try to pull bullshit. Like, I really, really never wanted to pull a "I'm your boss" on someone when becoming manager. When I started I really tried to be just another employee. But that was just not working at all.

SiGmA_X posted:

Well loving a. That really sounds unpleasant.

I think whoever is in charge of the office needs to make order of reporting/management clear. It really should be the retiring accounting and the regional[/state] manager, but it sounds like this person only thinks they report to the accountant.

I'm not in management but I've assisted with performance plans for two employees, which led to their removal. I think you're going to have to do that. One of the people we removed was about 50, my manager and I were both late 20s at the time. I expect that was part of why that employee was so goddamn feckless.

My boss has complained about how the accounting division of the office doesn't respect her and thinks they only have to report to the retiring accountant. So, yeah, some things do need to change. My boss wants to wait till the retiring accountant leaves since she doesn't want this to strain the transition, but I feel the employee is making that hard. We only need one more month, but, if she is really dumb enough to go to my boss and say she won't work for me, she's probably going to get herself in trouble. My boss did say if things don't shape up we're going to have to start working on her removal.

I honestly think my boss was hoping this would all resolve itself and I know she's confused why that woman can't just be a professional. So, frankly, I think she's just as confused as me to both why this happening and how to handle it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
An analyst in another dept gave notice this week. My manager asked me if I am applying for it this morning. It would probably be a lateral position, but I may be able to leverage 10-15% more pay. I am a few % over base of my range, but I now have my CPA exams passed, which the company values quite a bit. A former coworker who was in the same position last summer got about a 12% raise. (My pay is higher than hers was before transfer so I expect they'll try to stiff me more.)

Pro's:
- Learn new stuff:
-- Consolidation
-- Prep actg for the parent company
-- Write memos/research guidance
- Somewhat of a raise
- Resume/experience additions
- Interview practice

Con's:
- Learn new stuff (not really a con)
- Hours possibly going up, definitely at quarter/year ends - This still may not be bad, considering I just came off burning time studying on top of working ~2,400-2,500hr/yr (I'd have to check my spreadsheet, somewhere in there)

TBD:
- Maybe possible set WFH schedule, maybe not - right now I get hosed on WFH, despite VP empty promises...
- Maybe possible better outlook on paperless, mgr loving hates paper and current processes but management is ... old?

I see everything as a reason to talk to the hiring manager Monday, and decide from there. I'm kind of the opinion that even if it's worse hours wise, and no improvement WFH/paperwise, it still seems like I should do it. Improving resume always is good... I'll also have my CPA in the next 4-6mo (have to write/submit application - I already have the required experience) and will either be looking up or outside the company. The extra experience seems like a plus any way I look at it.

Thread input welcome.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Do it

Covok
May 27, 2013

My new job and the transition is just getting weird.

So, basically, today was going along well enough. Then, my boss began a rather loud phone call. This was when the senior accountant/office manager that I'm replacing was out.

Here were the highlights (much of this I already knew):
  • "I [my boss] would have never bought this office [her predecessor who was fired for losing too much money did]" (knew)
  • "This office hasn't made money in ten years. We've been paying people just to be busy.(knew)
  • "He's been nasty to me. As has that bookkeeper of his!" (knew)
  • "[My predeccesor] was an idiot. He paid too much for this office and guarnteed this guy too large of a salary. This guy has been grossly overpaid for ten years. And has been bleeding this company money for a decade. (didn't know)
  • "This guy had the audacity to hire [an immediate family member of the guy I'm replacing] and give her a generous salary!" (didn't know)
  • "Now, I find out he was recommending clients to a financial advisers who was his friend, and not one of the company's advisers!?" (didn't know)

Afterwards, she eventually ended up talking to me about things and she decided to tell me this:
  • "We think your predecessor is planning on stealing the company's clients when he leaves."

Basically, the guy I'm replacing (who is still working in the office for another two months) wanted to send out a letter saying he was retiring for months, even before I was hired. My boss and corporate refused because they were afraid people would jump ship if they didn't know there was a replacement. They rather he introduce me to clients for a while. Then he would retire letting them know I'd be the new office manger/accountant and that I could handle things, after they already knew me. He's been refusing to do that. And they started to put it all together after he sent them the draft for the letter.
  • He's a workaholic and they know he's only retiring because his wife is pushing him to retire.
  • He started off hinting that some clients would likely leave. All of these were the highest earning clients.
  • Despite pushes from me and my boss and how little time he will still be here, he hasn't taken me to see any clients, especially the high earners.
  • His draft of the letter constantly mentions how he's still in good physical health and can handle work and is totally fine and etc. The whole letter sounds like he's trying to say "I'm still capable of working."
My boss and corporate are convinced he is thinking of taking 100,000+ USD worth of clients out with him as he retires to work on the side. Now, they don't expect me to do anything about this. They want me to keep doing my work, using all the phone calls and walk-ins to introduce myself to business owners and let them know me, and generally just keep pushing to meet more of the business owners. They know I can't force him to take me anywhere.

But they are very worried about what he might try to do and they aren't sure how to handle it. They're annoyed because the office is finally looking like it can be profitable under me and they paid for these clients, technically, when they bought his practice ten years ago, and now he plans to run off with the highest earners. I don't think there is really anything they can do. I don't think it's a crime to solicit former clients of a business. I do know they plan on having a meeting next Tuesday about it, though I don't think I am expected to attend.

Anyway, I plan to stay out of it as much as I can. My boss likes me. My work is well received. They like my ideas on how to make the office more efficient when I take over. I'm not going to be stupid and step into this if I can avoid touching the poop. Besides, I have no idea how to handle this even if I did get involved. So, I'd likely make things worse.

I do feel bad for my boss, though. She likes telling the story of her career and doesn't skip over how she kind of has been backstabbed twice when running a business. Like, "lost her company" bad and how she's had to start over twice. I can tell it's kind of gotten to her. The fact she very solemnly, while telling me all this today, said "I've been betrayed too many times to let this happen to me again" is what got me. It wasn't like a vow or something. It was more like how someone sounds when they are completely exhausted and done.

That said, losing the clients would hurt this office, but not kill it. We still have corporate backing and the changes my boss made and the changes I made will still make it profitable, assuming some things, and a nice profit at that. And I'm not even sure he's actually trying to do that or not, but I understand why she thinks he is. Just in-case anyone was wondering. Though, I am thinking of updating my resume as a precautionary measure, I won't lie.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 18, 2018

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
For context, how much is $100,000 of revenue. In the big 4 that seems like peanuts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

For context, how much is $100,000 of revenue. In the big 4 that seems like peanuts.

I would say rather significant. I haven't really poured over the income statements and all the financial statements as much as I should have. But this office has not been making any money as is up to this point and this is a small office. Like, we belong to a large corporation, but this office is small. I think our revenue is somewhere around 600,000. I think. I don't remember because I haven't looked at the sheets in a while.

But I think $600,000 was roughly the revenue.

That would just be for our office. We are a subsidiary or whatever of a multinational company. But that's just what our office makes.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 18, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Covok posted:

I would say rather significant. I haven't really poured over the income statements and all the financial statements as much as I should have. But this office has not been making any money as is up to this point and this is a small office. Like, we belong to a large corporation, but this office is small. I think our revenue is somewhere around 600,000. I think. I don't remember because I haven't looked at the sheets in a while.

But I think $600,000 was roughly the revenue.

That would just be for our office. We are a subsidiary or whatever of a multinational company. But that's just what our office makes.

I am sort of confused what your company actually is not trying to dox you. Are you a public accounting firm? Bookkeeper? Financial Services? and what actually does the accountant (you) do here?

Coming from a guy who was a Staff Accountant at a small CPA firm for a couple years that is a big chunk of change on the small side of the accounting world.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

I am sort of confused what your company actually is not trying to dox you. Are you a public accounting firm? Bookkeeper? Financial Services? and what actually does the accountant (you) do here?

It's kind of complicated. From my understanding, our parent company is kind of a suite of companies that offers a wide range of financial services. At one point, my boss and three other people founded a public accounting firm in the area and grew it until it had over a few hundred offices. They then sold it to this conglomerate and it became a regional division.

Most of the offices only offer Financial advisement and tax services, but our office also offers bookkeeping.

There is only one accountant in the office. Normally. As we are transitioning, there is two. The accountant runs the office and is the manager of the office. But all that really means is they are in charge of their assistants. The financial advisors are independent agents so you don't manage them.

Outside of managing, my job is to do what you might expect. Bookkeeping (though my predecessor had his assistant do it and I might as well depending on how things go), sales tax, payroll tax, personal income tax, business income tax, financial statements, responding to the IRS, answering tax questions, and any other miscellaneous things like heavy use tax or whatever the business requires for tax or accounting purposes.

The different divisions are supposed to work together. So, they want me to try to suggest clients to the financial advisors. When I'm doing their taxes or whatever the case may be. I've actually already had a meeting with our financial advisor about best ways to handle it and what services he provides.

My office is a little different. The regional manager uses it because she lives nearby. And she brings her assistant with her. They kind of act independently because their job is not tax stuff or financial stuff or accounting but acquisitions of new firms. So they spend most of their day making phone calls and trips to offices and just generally buying new companies to get new clients that are then either kept at the newly acquired office or spread amongst the pre-existing offices.

I have one bookkeeper who works under me. She is the one who yelled at me in front of client. But I've been advised not to do anything until my predecessor leaves. We used to have two bookkeepers, but one left to pursue college.

During busy season, the accountant handles all the business returns. For commission, the accountant can choose to do individual returns. The commission is on top of their base salary. The rest of the individual returns are handled by free agents who come in to use the office space and who work on commission.

And that's really it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 18, 2018

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I've only been roughly following your story Covok, but it seems like you need to be looking for a new job. The job market is on fire these days... It shouldn't be hard to jump ship. I started my career in accounting in 2010/2011 when the unemployment rate was ~8-10%. I think we're around 4% these days? I also had a ~2.0 GPA from a state school.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if that I could find a good job back then you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job in this job market.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Been at this firm a month. We travel and I’m on my second audit.

I just graduated college in May.

Next week I will be the only person on my engagement team in the office since everyone else will be traveling.

I’m trying to figure out how to make myself useful but I don’t even know what questions to ask or who to ask. If I don’t get a to-do list I might go to other engagement teams and try to learn a bit about those.

I dunno, it’s kind of a overwhelming thought thinking I have to handle all the write ups for the engagement I’m on as well as pre-audits for coming engagements. But this contract ends in October and hasn’t been renewed yet so pre-audit work is kind of limited at this point.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
If you’re a month old staff being asked to work independently without a seriously explicit to-do list, instructions, and example workpapers, that’s on them and they get what they get

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Well we got kind of screwed on staffing because we were already short handed and one staff left unexpectedly last week, causing the senior that was going to be in the office with me to have to go straight from this audit we are on now to another one with no break.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
HA! Assurance. That was the worst year of my life.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Surely it can't be that bad

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bugamol posted:

I've only been roughly following your story Covok, but it seems like you need to be looking for a new job. The job market is on fire these days... It shouldn't be hard to jump ship. I started my career in accounting in 2010/2011 when the unemployment rate was ~8-10%. I think we're around 4% these days? I also had a ~2.0 GPA from a state school.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if that I could find a good job back then you shouldn't have any trouble finding a job in this job market.
Agreed.

Moneyball posted:

Surely it can't be that bad
You wanna check boxes and ask reasonably pointless questions all day? I mean, it's worth it because you learn a lot of things, but depending on your partners and clients, it can really suck.

So I hear, I'm in private sector vs public accounting - but 80% of direct coworkers came out of public (who aren't support staff, I suppose, some of our actg operations teams have been getting "closer" as my directors job description has been growing).

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 20, 2018

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yeah, the worst..... year

heh

heh heh

(what am I doing with my life)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

You wanna check boxes and ask reasonably pointless questions all day? I mean, it's worth it because you learn a lot of things, but depending on your partners and clients, it can really suck.

So I hear, I'm in private sector vs public accounting - but 80% of direct coworkers came out of public (who aren't support staff, I suppose, some of our actg operations teams have been getting "closer" as my directors job description has been growing).

Alright thanks for assuring me

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Moneyball posted:

Alright thanks for assuring me

:smugdog:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bugamol posted:

I actually had a talk with my parents about it. They agree that this work environment sounds very hostile. And my plan is what we agreed on which is that I'll stay until the old guy leaves and then make my judgment.

But my mom made a good point that I kind of agreed with but didn't really divulge of the time because I didn't know. I worked at KPMG for around 9 months. Then I worked for a small accounting firm for about 6 months. How would it look if I leave this company so soon? I feel like that would greatly hurt my chances of getting future employment.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Covok posted:

I actually had a talk with my parents about it. They agree that this work environment sounds very hostile. And my plan is what we agreed on which is that I'll stay until the old guy leaves and then make my judgment.

But my mom made a good point that I kind of agreed with but didn't really divulge of the time because I didn't know. I worked at KPMG for around 9 months. Then I worked for a small accounting firm for about 6 months. How would it look if I leave this company so soon? I feel like that would greatly hurt my chances of getting future employment.

Some people might ask, but plenty more won't give a poo poo.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Covok posted:

Jack2142 posted:

*I* don't think I'd give a poo poo if I felt like you were a competent person, but I'm not a hiring manager. I think it really depends on both the person being interviewed (you) and the employer.

The now-VP who hired me a few years ago says its a red flag for him because while past performance is not indicative of future results, it really is. He doesn't like to waste his time training someone who will immediately leave. Most of our "professional" (CPA, or like me, near-CPA) accounting staff has an average of 2yrs per position and/or company. I'm pretty sure my now-direct manager is sticking it out until next spring because they want two years of official manager experience before moving out and up. I can tell they are NOT happy with where things are right now, we have some pretty great bitch sessions, and some staff was moved under them that isn't working out well, but firing is not going to happen easily because gently caress our HR.

Two years ago, we hired someone who was great on paper - and apparently in interview - but had never kept an accounting job for >1yr. It's hard to say why...I think the person just got bored easily and had expectations that weren't in line with reality. I'm not sure. If they had looked at our Company on Glassdoor, they would have immediately known we were a little behind the times on tech. They were an okay accountant, and actually seemed really sharp until the motivation just fell off a cliff... This person kind of checked out after maybe a couple of months and would watch TV while waiting for things vs finding other work to do. While the rest of our team was working >50hr weeks because we were loving slammed, including with a project this person was involved in! It was really a management failure because the person was unmotivated.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Jack2142 posted:

It would be a really tough sell to get another one after having job tenures of 9 months, 6 months, and then 2 months as a manager.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Covok posted:

I missed the 6 month stint you did at a small accounting firm since I don't check this thread very often anymore. You're right - I was thinking this was your first job since KPMG and then you could just sell it as "it's not working out". However now that you've changed jobs three times most employers are going to think you're the problem. Try and tough it out for 12-18 months and then try to find something new unless things have mellowed out?

You could also consider jumping ship from accounting like I did. I'm a "Senior Financial Analyst" for a large company and don't miss accounting at all.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m in the office by myself and I’m the most junior auditor on this engagement team.

Luckily I’m doing reports which are, for all intents and purposes, just fill in the blank items. But I’ll likely be done with these by this afternoon.

Not sure if I should be proactive and show initiative with this engagement or if maybe I should go learn about other engagements that we do.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Hey, everybody. I’ve been reading this thread for a while and now that I’ve passed 3 parts and am waiting for my BEC results I figured I should finally post and ask some questions. (Questions I should have asked much earlier)

I’d like to work in tax with a public accounting firm and it’s my understanding that getting into tax can be somewhat competitive. How feasible would it be to start in audit and transfer over to tax after a while?

Related to the previous question, how important is it to have a master’s degree if you want to enter tax? I was able to sit for the CPA exam without getting a master’s due to having a ton of credits from my community college days, but I’m worried the lack of the degree on my resume will be a hindrance when looking for work in tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Hey, everybody. I’ve been reading this thread for a while and now that I’ve passed 3 parts and am waiting for my BEC results I figured I should finally post and ask some questions. (Questions I should have asked much earlier)

I’d like to work in tax with a public accounting firm and it’s my understanding that getting into tax can be somewhat competitive. How feasible would it be to start in audit and transfer over to tax after a while?

Related to the previous question, how important is it to have a master’s degree if you want to enter tax? I was able to sit for the CPA exam without getting a master’s due to having a ton of credits from my community college days, but I’m worried the lack of the degree on my resume will be a hindrance when looking for work in tax.

This entirely depends on where you want to work and for what type and size of company. From my undergrad class there were probably 30 students and about 20 or so are in public and most at Big 4 or large regionals and only one went on to get a masters in tax that I know of according to Linkedin and another just finished an mba in June. I don't think its an obstacle if you actually have your CPA testing done.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 24, 2018