Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Mister Bup posted:

As a non-spear Jason you can stand to the right of the door with the door to your side to attack it without going into the animation. Do this for the last attack if he's being a dingdong and waiting to hit you in your vulnerable state.

I learned this watching Duster and have put it to absurd effectiveness with Jason XIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Then you attack him when he walks to the doorway, because shifting into a house at that distance is pure RNG. Funny points if you had a second flare gun.
Not sure if it is true, but I heard you can bounce the flare off a wall once to hit and stun Jason. Anyone confirm?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 5, 2017

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Really though, this game is fun but has a poo poo load of balance issues and when they start fixing the bugs that are keeping this game somewhat balanced I hope they retune/rework a lot of things.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I played a couple rounds and then went on vacation and just got back. Any news/patches/rules changes? Are goons mostly doing pickup games or forming groups?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tomahawk posted:

Really though, this game is fun but has a poo poo load of balance issues and when they start fixing the bugs that are keeping this game somewhat balanced I hope they retune/rework a lot of things.

I will hear none of it. Game is near perfect. I only want more maps, Jason's, and counselors.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

scrubs season six posted:

I played a couple rounds and then went on vacation and just got back. Any news/patches/rules changes? Are goons mostly doing pickup games or forming groups?

Patch came out this week that fixed some stuff, but also made Jason OP or too weak, depending on who's complaining.

Xbox has Friday the Goonteenth as a club and names in the OP. Pretty sure there's a steam group too and maybe one for PS4 but I'm not sure.

Private match still seems to be the most stable way to play as quick match apparently isn't still not quick.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Burkion posted:

Jason is easily the most likable and relatable slasher villain, so he also stands as one of the most popular and marketable.

Of all the big name slashers, Jason is the only victim of the group. He's the only one that works as a hero-ish figure.

Leatherface is still a cannibal, even if he is mentally stunted and raised by truly wretched, awful people. His few moments of being more than he is are squashed by the fact that he does love eating people and doing hosed up poo poo with them.

Freddy, yeah, total monster in life and death.

Uh, bull loving poo poo.

Freddy is the product of a broken mental healthcare system and a bunch of bougie douchebag's false accusations during the daycare child abuse hysteria of the 80s. After their BS trumped up charges didn't stick they formed a lynch mob and murdered the poor fucker.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Uh, bull loving poo poo.

Freddy is the product of a broken mental healthcare system and a bunch of bougie douchebag's false accusations during the daycare child abuse hysteria of the 80s. After their BS trumped up charges didn't stick they formed a lynch mob and murdered the poor fucker.

in the remake freddy's a convicted kiddie diddler

i have no idea what the 'official canon' (lol) is supposed to be for him though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In the first draft of the script for the original he was explicitly a pedophile, but Wes Craven was like "Eh that detracts from the themes of the film, let's just strongly imply it".

I always kind of figured he was one as a kid but that they never directly said it because it would be really gross in a series that's 15% horror and 85% wacky puns.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Coolguye posted:

in the remake freddy's a convicted kiddie diddler

FYI the US criminal justice system is imperfect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-care_sex-abuse_hysteria

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you're reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal interested in dyin on that hill aren't you homie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also he was a child murderer in the original films, self admitted and incriminated, a cop just forgot to sign the right papers to properly arrest him.

He was never mentally ill, that's never been his bag.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Coolguye posted:

you're reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal interested in dyin on that hill aren't you homie

Personally I think it's hilarious to think of "pure evil" Freddy as a falsely maligned autist, and the timing is right (which I believe some other goon pointed out a long time ago, I'm not sure I'd really heard of the "day care sex abuse hysteria."

quote:

Dale Akiki, a developmentally-delayed man with Noonan syndrome, was accused of satanic ritual abuse in 1991. Akiki and his wife were volunteer babysitters at Faith Chapel in Spring Valley, California. The accusations started when a young girl told her mother that "[Akiki] showed me his penis," after which the mother contacted the police. After interviews, nine other children accused Akiki of killing animals, such as a giraffe and an elephant, and drinking their blood in front of the children. He was found not guilty of the 35 counts of child abuse and kidnapping in his 1993 trial.[1]

In 1994, the San Diego County Grand Jury reviewed the Akiki cases and concluded there was no reason to pursue the theory of ritual abuse.[50] On August 25, 1994, he filed a suit against the County of San Diego, Faith Chapel Church, and many others, which was settled for $2 million.[citation needed] Akiki's public defenders received the Public Defender of the Year award for their work defending Akiki.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Burkion posted:

He was never mentally ill, that's never been his bag.

The mental illness reference was to his conception.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The latest patch on PC pretty much got all the perks working as intended and helped with some connection issues. I am not crashing every game now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Which platform has the most active goon community? I've been reading about this and sounds extremely my poo poo. Everything I wanted Dead by Daylight to be and wasn't. Basically I want the platform that lets me play with the chillest bros and have the most fun.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Personally I think it's hilarious to think of "pure evil" Freddy as a falsely maligned autist, and the timing is right (which I believe some other goon pointed out a long time ago, I'm not sure I'd really heard of the "day care sex abuse hysteria."

my guy, stop

this is not worth the self own you are currently performing

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Coolguye posted:

my guy, stop

this is not worth the self own you are currently performing

What are you talking about my dude? It's a tongue in cheek discussion about the origin story of a fictional character ffs.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

DrNutt posted:

Which platform has the most active goon community? I've been reading about this and sounds extremely my poo poo. Everything I wanted Dead by Daylight to be and wasn't. Basically I want the platform that lets me play with the chillest bros and have the most fun.

The answer is always PC

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The tongue is in your butt cheek.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Jason is easily the most likable and relatable slasher villain, so he also stands as one of the most popular and marketable.

Of all the big name slashers, Jason is the only victim of the group. He's the only one that works as a hero-ish figure.

Leatherface is still a cannibal, even if he is mentally stunted and raised by truly wretched, awful people. His few moments of being more than he is are squashed by the fact that he does love eating people and doing hosed up poo poo with them.

Freddy, yeah, total monster in life and death.

Michael Myers, the same. Even the Rob Zombie movie didn't give us his backstory to make him sympathetic, because that wasn't why he started doing what he did and became what he is.

Jason? Jason was just some poor kid with physical deformities and possibly mental issues who grew up in the goddamn 50s with a single mother who, herself, was not quite right in the head. Yet she treated him with nothing but love and affection and her only mistake was having to do her job while counselors didn't give two shits about her child.

Then she goes off the deep end and dies and he just spends the rest of his life trying to keep people out of the area no matter what they do to him or how dead they make him. To Jason, the camp is an evil place where only bad, evil people go, and if you are there he will kill you.

If you leave with him knowing you've left, you're good to go. He no longer gives a poo poo about you unless you killed his mom.

Part 8 is a good example of Jason's weird morality. He's hunting down only the people from Camp Crystal Lake, because in his eyes they never really left. The only people in New York that he kills besides them are people who were in his way, or really awful people. He out right saved Chrissy from being raped by those two thugs, even though he was still planning on killing her after the fact.

This is why in Freddy VS Jason, Jason kept getting written as the good guy in all the spec scripts, and basically was the good guy in the movie itself. Even though he out right murders almost the entire cast including all but two of the main characters.

Jason isn't evil in the same way Freddy is. He's more than happy to just hang out in his dumb little cabin growing his weed and be left alone.

This is a loving awesome posted and wanted to quote it again.

Jason is basically the hulk, just leave him the gently caress alone in his little shack.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lurdiak posted:

The tongue is in your butt cheek.

It's supposed to go more in the hole than the cheek.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Just accomplished my best escape yet and my first as last survivor. Running around Higgins Haven avoiding part 6 Jason, taking to the trails northwest. Someone said they had the fuse and needed my help. How could I resist? Went to the house and sure enough we are chased. Tommy comes to the rescue, I hid behind the car out front and the inept Jason had tunnel vision.

I ran into the barn, knowing I would die and as a last ditch effort hid by a window in the dark with a trap at the stall. Jason walked by me twice. Finally, the little bugger from before got the power back on and cops were on the way!
Then I heard the screams and noticed he died valiantly and it was just me and someone else. I made a gamble to hide near the east exit. Then I noticed I was last. Cue music, windows breaking, he breaks in while I'm under a bed. I hear him crush a closer so I snuck out the window. 2 min for police I'm dead. Hide near the exit and see him walk out of the cabin but to the south!

Police of course are at the opposite end, loving Chad over. I slowly make my way toward one of the NW cabins to rest, but he noticed me and morphed behind me. I ran all I could, my wife was actually cheering me on but I knew what was coming.

I ran out of breath...stumbled to the end, his shift ended just shy of me, I was hit with a knife and his spear...then gun shots rang out as the police started firing (!)

My wife high fives me as I cheered. Chad out. (With that other set of keys. :smug: )

Icing on the cake is the guy accused me of exploiting and "whatever cheater." :qq:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DrNutt posted:

Always PC. I am an extreme minority with the crashes.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pedophilia isn't a mental illness. Take your liberal gbs bullshit somewhere else you loving creep.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

Pedophilia isn't a mental illness. Take your liberal gbs bullshit somewhere else you loving creep.

:eyepop:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Jason is like Frankenstein, who is the best of the classic movie monsters. Both are essentially created, both are physically deformed, both unfairly maligned and hunted, and are driven to kill because of this. It's society that makes them monsters, and despite this they're still innately virtuous despite their mistakes.

I forget which film it's in, but Jason passes through a cabin full of sleeping children and doesn't harm them at all. Children are innocent, just like Jason was. Similarly in Jason Takes Manhattan, the script originally called for Jason to kick a barking dog, but Kane Hodder decided that it was against Jason's character to harm an innocent animal, and so they never shot the scene.

Jason is represented really well in Freddy vs Jason. In the dream sequences he always appears as a scared little kid, which is who he still is internally. I think that's meant to be the message in the weird ending of Jason Takes Manhattan too, where the toxic waste strips away his undead form and reveals his inner self. Even the characters in freddy vs jason know that jason is the good guy, which is why at one point they're going to give him CPR when freddy is drowning him in the nightmare.

edit: while freddy being falsely accused would be an interesting take on the franchise, he has always canonically been a murdering pedophile. He made and used the glove in life.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 5, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Snatch Duster posted:

Lol you're even stupid about horror movies. I feel sorry for you.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

:yikes:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Part 9 is also the first movie to try and make Jason an actual creature of evil, which is why despite the kickass fbi kill intro, it's the worst of the jason movies by far. The movie fundamentally alters the nature of the character people love and takes it from mundane/supernatural horror to out and out fantasy silliness. The best things about it are the hosed up jason design and the stinger at the end that led to freddy vs jason.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
No idea wtf just happened, but it'ss canon across all 7 original films and FvJ that Freddy was a child murderer who was burned alive by the mob of angry parents of Woodbury.

The diddler aspect is vaguely, barely implied but never spoken until FvJ.

The god awful remake tried to imply he was innocent but I forgot if the twist was he was guilty because I forgot most of that piece of poo poo.

HTH

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Part 9 is also the first movie to try and make Jason an actual creature of evil, which is why despite the kickass fbi kill intro, it's the worst of the jason movies by far. The movie fundamentally alters the nature of the character people love and takes it from mundane/supernatural horror to out and out fantasy silliness. The best things about it are the hosed up jason design and the stinger at the end that led to freddy vs jason.

They were obviously trying to go for a Freddy thing (it's New Line, after all) but the Freddy movies that built up his mythos and connected him to hell were also kind of bad and not well received so I'm not sure why they thought this was a good idea.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Someone post Jason movie power rankings.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

They were obviously trying to go for a Freddy thing (it's New Line, after all) but the Freddy movies that built up his mythos and connected him to hell were also kind of bad and not well received so I'm not sure why they thought this was a good idea.

The Freddy's Dead bit with the sperm demons giving him hell powers is the lowest point in that bad franchise that started strong with 1, made a gay masterpiece with 2, and ended strong with Dream Warriors, but for some reason kept going.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spacebump posted:

FVJ Jason is up there. They really play up his unkillability and super strength in order to make the fights more interesting and superheroish. Just like how Freddy's some kind of ninja in the real world for no reason at all.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Also if Freddy was innocent why would he go after the kids in dreams? Why not the parents? And why would he act so drat rapey towards the kids he kills in dreams? That's where most of the implication that he was a molester came from.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Spacebump posted:

Remake
FvJ
X

:colbert:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I love the pre-cyborg jason in jason X. It's such a good looking, fairly realistic jason. Much better outfit than the shirt and slacks look we saw jason in when he was alive in the other movies.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Remake
FvJ
X

:colbert:

Are you that big of a fan of Ambulance Drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I love the pre-cyborg jason in jason X. It's such a good looking, fairly realistic jason. Much better outfit than the shirt and slacks look we saw jason in when he was alive in the other movies.

Jason just wearing some farmhand clothes is great.

• Locked thread