Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I think in honor of the DLC, it has to be something along the lines of "What is a man? A miserable little pile of Dead Cells!"

...but enough talk, play the game, it's good as it's ever been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
FYI if you already own the other DLCs there is a "Medley of Pain" bundle available on the Steam store that lets you get the new DLC for $8.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Castlevania DLC owns, though Death was not nearly the unstoppable bastard he was in the NES days lol

I did a fresh start just to see how organically the DLC fits into everything, and while the first two runs are normal (get the vine rune in the promenade, get the teleport rune in the sewer, etc) the third go unlocks everything so I was stumbling from the gardener's body to the head crab body to something from Shovel Knight to Simon Belmont lol

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Alucard’s sword is amazingly good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The only thing I wish they would improve in Dead Cells at this point, that it seems obvious it would be a straight upgrade, is the curse system. 1 hit and you are dead is poo poo and boring. I much prefer systems like in Hades or Returnal, where the penalties are more varied and interesting (or even the way to remove the penalty can also change, with different types of challenge).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
They wouldn't even need to invent a new system. The existing Malaise system already supports dynamically scaling up the difficulty as a run goes on. Just make cursed chests give you goodies in exchange for a big chunk of Malaise and you're all set.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't know why so many 30+ minute roguelikes add no-hit mechanics. It's such a bad fit but devs just cannot resist. It's one of the reasons I stuck with Hades for so long tanking stuff is just part of the game.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

No Wave posted:

I don't know why so many 30+ minute roguelikes add no-hit mechanics. It's such a bad fit but devs just cannot resist. It's one of the reasons I stuck with Hades for so long tanking stuff is just part of the game.

Playing Binding of Isaac as Lost makes me feel like I need a cigarette after every other room.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh man, I hadn't played this since the first "Everyone Is Here" update; I had no idea they added so much more new stuff. The Hotline Miami bat loving rules

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The bat is definitely up there for me, too. There's just something I find immensely likeable that in a game full of magic swords and high tech crossbows and all, one of the more effective boss killers is just to lay down a bear trap and go to town on them with a Louisville slugger.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
made it to dracula with absurdly good DPS like twenty purples deep but died when I got caught in his laser instead of rolling through it exactly once :gonk:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Goddamn the Nutcracker is godlike, I got mine to the point where it was basically one-shotting most enemies. However my award for "Goofiest Cheese Ability" is the chicken/exploding eggs one, its so stupid I kind of love it. I agree the one-hit dead curse is really boring, and they should totally copy Hades.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I just looked at the Steam workshop for the first time and was kind of amused to find out there's apparently a very prolific Japanese Dead Cells modding community -- basically every mod in the first 5 pages is in Japanese, and it's not like they're all by one guy, it's a bunch of different authors. Wish I could read some of these to find out what they do lol, lots of joke mods with references to what I assume are Japanese Dead Cells memes that I don't understand

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed. Anyone got any suggestions? We can report the best and a games mod can come in and help us.

postmodifier posted:

I think in honor of the DLC, it has to be something along the lines of "What is a man? A miserable little pile of Dead Cells!"

...but enough talk, play the game, it's good as it's ever been
maybe skip the first part to add some clarity? "A miserable little pile of [Dead Cells] - Castlevania DLC out now!"?

only other idea i had was something like "Dead Cells - *thumbs up, nods vigorously* (Castlevania DLC out now!)", idk, needs workshopping

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh gently caress, speaking of Castlevania, no idea why I didn't think of this before but for an unlock try doing the Konami Code. "roll" and "jump" for B and A respectively

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

goferchan posted:

Oh gently caress, speaking of Castlevania, no idea why I didn't think of this before but for an unlock try doing the Konami Code. "roll" and "jump" for B and A respectively

Anywhere in particular you need to be to do it?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've been blasting through this with assist mode for the last few days but I'm finding it hard to look up stuff about the game online (presumably due to ask the updates).

I've been playing custom assist mode to unlock everything and I'm now at 5 boss cells and I've beaten the collector. I've also done the DLC bosses I think (queen Dracula).

There's a couple of areas I've not been to yet but before doing that I tried my hand at the boss rush and I don't quite know what's happening now.

Basically, I did the first room fine then in the second, the time keeper boss kicked me into a portal and there's odd graphical "glitches" on some characters and whenever a new area loads.

I went back and finished the second and third boss rush rooms, but then the fourth one seems to ignore the custom songs I've got applied.

The time keeper fight in that room seemed to be ramped up to 11, but when I eventually beat it nothing happened and the graphical oddities have stuck around.

What's the deal with them?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I think the graphical oddities are from your 5BC win against the secret boss, and will go away when you get your next 5BC win against the secret boss.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah, just play through it again.

I was sure that it didn't happen until the time keeper kicked me through the portal in the boss rush mode though.

That in itself was weird. I don't think I even got to fight her after I got into the room. It was just a cutscene and I was back in the starting area with the odd graphics.

I figured it was some kind of time travel gimmick thing related to that.

Also, is boss rush supposed to disable custom mode settings and is it one of the fastest way to farm cells?

Or is cell farming still best on something like 4BC and killing everything on a stage?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I cell farmed with a 2x cell mod. In fact I kind of forget the way I played isn't the official way of playing, as I did years ago. IMO the progression is otherwise a bit too long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Castlevania and residual disappointment that I never managed to beat the collector made me want to revisit this, but the last time I played was the bad seed DLC and everything that’s been added since then was feeling so overwhelming that I started a new save. Got a win on the first run, which was encouraging since I’m certain it took me at least 10 runs to get a win back in early access. haven’t forgotten quite everything! :discourse:

When I played a few years back I eventually just spent 30 minutes with a 100x cells mod and The Birds active to get everything I had remaining unlocked on BC4, since they bafflingly didn’t let you unlock things on BC5, but that seems to be fixed now. but with five DLCs worth of blueprints to get through now I’m tempted to keep a 2x cells mod active the whole time.

Also this thread definitely needs a new title.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've been trying to get back into the swing of things on 4BC and I'm definitely much worse than I used to be, but I can at least clear the first boss semi-consistently so it's not a totally lost cause. Sometimes the rust shakes off a bit and I'm back to those old satisfying snap parries and smooth one-after-another kill chains.

The Castlevania alternate path is in sort of a weird place for me, challenge-wise. Most of the enemies in it are distinctly easier than on the main path (probably due to a lack of the worst gotcha stuff, like the ol' invulnerability totem behind multiple rooms of mixed enemies bullshit), but then you get to Death and he's a supreme motherfucker. First phase isn't too bad at all but then he starts tossing out his floating scythe bullet hell nonsense and all bets are off.

I will say that the skeletons in the Castlevania route are complete bastards disguised as chaff enemies. They're a joke 90% of the time, but then occasionally you'll get spotted by one that you can only approach from above, and their bone toss comes out so loving fast that they'll instantly snipe your balls every time you come anywhere near them. Plus they seem to hit harder than most of the other monsters in the area. Not a fan of those boners :mad:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

you get to Death and he's a supreme motherfucker. First phase isn't too bad at all but then he starts tossing out his floating scythe bullet hell nonsense and all bets are off.

Ah, so they nailed the Fighting Death In Castlevania experience.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ah, so they nailed the Fighting Death In Castlevania experience.

Unfortunately yes :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

did the mfer have command grabs in any of the castlevania games, is what I want to know. getting instakilled by that stinks :mad:

at least it's real neat looking

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I went and killed the collector again but still have the weird graphical effects after being sent back to the beginning.

Did I need to not drink the panacea or something?

I'm still positive it only happened after a cutscene with the time keeper during the boss rush mode.

It's odd, it feels like I've started part of an ending or something and can't trigger the next bit.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kin posted:

I went and killed the collector again but still have the weird graphical effects after being sent back to the beginning.

Did I need to not drink the panacea or something?

I'm still positive it only happened after a cutscene with the time keeper during the boss rush mode.

It's odd, it feels like I've started part of an ending or something and can't trigger the next bit.

I don't think you can choose not to drink the panacea; I'm told the boss can't go below 1 HP until you do.

You might have to take the Symmetrical Lance dropped by the Hand of the King, use it to break the barrier around the king's body, detatch your head and attack it to the king's body, and beat the game after doing that? If the Hand of the King isn't dropping the Symmetrical Lance (it should be a special one, with busted stats and built-in scrolls), then I'm not sure what's wrong.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah I've not done the head/Kings body thing.

Him being back in the throne room was one difference I spotted on my second BC5 playthrough but I wasn't sure what to do so just left him there while I continued on to the collector.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's the point of the face flask?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Owl Inspector posted:

On-demand Vengeance trigger is the most obvious application, helps increase your DPS and survivability. Also on-demand trigger for Spite Sword.

If you smack yourself with it when you're at low health (and I mean NUMERICALLY low health, as in double digits - don't remember the exact threshold) it unlocks the Penitent One costume.

I remembered that it also can roll increased movement speed at higher item levels, so if you're using something like Swift Sword, Frenzy, or using the Gotta Go Fast aspect it's basically a permanent huge damage/survivability buff since you just spam it on CD.

It will prevent you from getting no-hit achievements/rewards on bosses, though, as self-damage still counts as taking a hit and you can't take any, so if you ever want to tackle those you'll have to wean yourself off of it.

Navaash fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 16, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

I'm not sure what difficulty you're currently playing on, but once you get to higher ones, taking damage from enemies is pretty devastating and should ideally be happening very rarely. There are some (pretty decent!) mutations and weapon effects that give you a bonus when you take damage, and Face Flask is the enabler for those at higher levels.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

PSA if you're actively trying to advance in difficulty and getting stymied:

USE CUSTOM MODE! (if roguelike purism isn't that important to you)

Once you find a weapon, skill set, and playstyle that you're intimately comfortable with, limit the item pool as narrowly as you can (which is 20 items) so that you don't get skunked by drop RNG as can sometimes happen with normal mode runs. Apparently you can get boss cells even if achievements are disabled, though I don't know if that breaks the ability to get the boss cell achievements themselves without starting a new save file, so I'd err on the side of caution.

The devs are adamant that using it is not cheating, so use it. Only using aspects explicitly locks out gaining the next boss cell, and once you get to 5BC you can use aspects all you like (unless you're explicitly trying to get no-hit achievements for bosses, which the game warns you about).

One note: if you unlock new items on your file while in Custom Mode, you will have to go back to Custom Mode settings with each new unlock to disable them if you don't want them dropping.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vengeance makes sense, it's a really substantial damage buff but I forgot about it when i was trying to think of anything actually good that triggers on damage.

The bank wasn't in the game when I last played and these gold golems that power up from money are absolutely monstrous.

really not a fan of the distillery compared to the castle and not sure I will ever be going there once I have all its blueprints. Is there any mechanical advantage to it over the castle?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah distillery sucks because you basically have to drop whatever you're carrying in order to use an unwieldy gimmick weapon

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah distillery sucks because you basically have to drop whatever you're carrying in order to use an unwieldy gimmick weapon

I discovered just the other day after watching a video on a lark that you an apparently grab the bouncing barrels with your homunculus head.

This assumes of course that you've beaten 0BC at least once, otherwise you don't have that tool.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Navaash posted:

PSA if you're actively trying to advance in difficulty and getting stymied:

USE CUSTOM MODE! (if roguelike purism isn't that important to you)

Once you find a weapon, skill set, and playstyle that you're intimately comfortable with, limit the item pool as narrowly as you can (which is 20 items) so that you don't get skunked by drop RNG as can sometimes happen with normal mode runs. Apparently you can get boss cells even if achievements are disabled, though I don't know if that breaks the ability to get the boss cell achievements themselves without starting a new save file, so I'd err on the side of caution.

The devs are adamant that using it is not cheating, so use it. Only using aspects explicitly locks out gaining the next boss cell, and once you get to 5BC you can use aspects all you like (unless you're explicitly trying to get no-hit achievements for bosses, which the game warns you about).

One note: if you unlock new items on your file while in Custom Mode, you will have to go back to Custom Mode settings with each new unlock to disable them if you don't want them dropping.

Wait what it doesn't break unlocks?

I don't like disabling items in roguelikes, but needing the complete lack of healing and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting in later BCs to fight the enemies in them is kind of bullshit. Totally going to use this.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Navaash posted:

I discovered just the other day after watching a video on a lark that you an apparently grab the bouncing barrels with your homunculus head.

This assumes of course that you've beaten 0BC at least once, otherwise you don't have that tool.

Well I'll be!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

really not a fan of the distillery compared to the castle and not sure I will ever be going there once I have all its blueprints. Is there any mechanical advantage to it over the castle?

I think it's the same item rarity and scroll count as the castle. The Shipwreck has more scrolls than the other 2 final stages, but that final boss is (IMO) harder than Hand. I probably just need more practice though.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Captain France posted:

Wait what it doesn't break unlocks?

I don't like disabling items in roguelikes, but needing the complete lack of healing and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting in later BCs to fight the enemies in them is kind of bullshit. Totally going to use this.

Accessibility options are cool and good. I picked this up way back when, well before they added this stuff. I thought it controlled like a dream. Probably one of the best 2D action platformers I’ve ever had the pleasure to gently caress around with. But because of my poor eyesight, getting through it was a chore. I don’t want to wreck the difficulty curve, but the flexibility of the poo poo they added is just unreal and awesome. I can make it possible to visually internalize enemy patterns etc etc before switching off or toning down the options that make the game too easy.

World class developer imho, for having the humility to include these options well into the game’s life cycle. Further bonus points for bothering to consult with players of varying ability to make sure the options were actually useful.

Hell no it’s not cheating. I think of stuff like this as an equalizer and a way to open the game up to more people. Granted, if you use that sort of thing to steamroll the game when you otherwise could learn it, you’re kinda hampering the experience if you are otherwise able to learn/execute the mechanics, but eh. It’s one game. Who cares?

Was glad to see a lack of weird backlash to this stuff when it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

imo the lack of a backlash is because a few of the weapons kinda suck in a way that unlocking them feels like a detriment, and you still gotta have enough stuff enabled in the item pool that you can't always get what you want. It's a pretty nice compromise because I imagine without it a fair amount of folks would start up a fresh save and only unlock the gear they know they'll use so why not cut out that hassle.