Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6fBYuuPMg

Dead🔥Cells is a frantic and fast-paced action platformer with Roguelike elements. Having possessed a recently-beheaded corpse, you'll be making your way through a variety of locales taking down hordes of enemies until you yourself are slain...only to return again from death. Unlike games such as Binding of Isaac or Nuclear Throne where no permanent progress is made aside from unlocks or self-knowledge, Dead🔥Cells features persistent upgrades in the form of new equipment and movement upgrades a la Rogue Legacy. The movement upgrades in particular tie-in with another unique feature of the game: metroidvania elements. As you progress further and further you'll be able to access new parts of earlier levels, such as through creating and climbing vines. All this in addition to fact-paced but simple combat (you have up to two weapons and skills while enemies have one or two attacks but are varied) and some absolutely gorgeous pixel art and you have a fantastic game.

Or half-of-a-game, I should say. Dead🔥Cells is currently in Early Access and will likely be so for a while, but it's one of the few to actually get Early Access right. In terms of gameplay polish the game already feels near-complete, and there is already a significant amount of content with the developers intending to roughly double that amount by the time of full-release. It reminds me a lot of Darkest Dungeon in that way. So if the gameplay interests you I recommend taking the plunge; I've been enjoying it quite a bit already.

Steam store page

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poo poo I forgot emoji don't show up in topic titles. However will I live with myself...:negative:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this looks rly cool

Orv
May 4, 2011
This year is jam packed with stylish games, guddam.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If I can survive more than three hits, and upgrade forever, then I wouldn't mind going cold turkey on Rogue Legacy for this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This game looks
code:
🔥
as gently caress

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

If I can survive more than three hits, and upgrade forever, then I wouldn't mind going cold turkey on Rogue Legacy for this.

You're definitely expected to avoid most things but you can take a good amount of punishment before dying. At least early on you can take around 5-ish attacks and you have one healing flask per area, as well as a full heal and recharge of that healing flask inbetween areas. Once you unlock gear you can also upgrade them a bunch to boost their effectiveness.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Having a link to the games store page in the op might be a good idea

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

Having a link to the games store page in the op might be a good idea

Issue fixed, thanks.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is there a regular whip in the game? All i keep getting are lightning whips that gives me double damage to myself if i get hit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Genuinely thought that was the game title and rolled my eyes. :v:

Kerm
Jun 17, 2003

VIDEO GAME RINGTONES

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is there a regular whip in the game? All i keep getting are lightning whips that gives me double damage to myself if i get hit.

The only whip I've come across so far is the lightning whip, but if you notice each time you find one they'll have different characteristics. Like one may do double damage to enemies/yourself, and another may do bonus damage to enemies that are on fire.

Also, really enjoying this so far. Definitely reminds me a lot of Rogue Legacy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Lightning whip is the only one I've seen so far but the extra damage thing is a random trait, you've just had weird luck.

poptart_fairy posted:

Genuinely thought that was the game title and rolled my eyes. :v:

I should probably get a mod to fix that huh

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

phaser is so good.

you can piano roll>attack with the rapier.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
This game does a good job of making you feel both powerful and weak at the same time. The combat feels very smooth, I'm glad I broke my rule of not getting EA games for this one.

edit: I'm also a big fan of the progression; as long as you can make it through the first area, you're always getting a little bit stronger. A run never feels like a waste because I've always dumped a few cells into something.

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 14, 2017

Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

regular whips do exist, just keep at it and you'll find the recipe eventually

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Smappdi posted:

regular whips do exist, just keep at it and you'll find the recipe eventually

The regular whip doesn't home in on secrets or enemies, I don't think; I'm not sure it's actually better than the electric whip.

also, if you find a golden door but can't/don't want to pay the cost to open it, you can beat on it for a while and it'll open up; you'll get cursed and will die in one hit until you kill ten enemies. Might be worth it, depending on what's behind the door or how close you are to cashing in your cells.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just fought my first 'elite'
Game is like a much easier darksouls

Can Confirm, Game is disgustingly good. Also on sale until the 17th of May

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 15, 2017

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
This game is fantastic and super solid for an EA title. And they're supposed to double the content before actual release!

Coca Koala posted:

The regular whip doesn't home in on secrets or enemies, I don't think; I'm not sure it's actually better than the electric whip.

also, if you find a golden door but can't/don't want to pay the cost to open it, you can beat on it for a while and it'll open up; you'll get cursed and will die in one hit until you kill ten enemies. Might be worth it, depending on what's behind the door or how close you are to cashing in your cells.

I believe that this scales. I broke a door where I had to pay 3000 and it cursed me so I had to kill *40* enemies. :aaa:

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Played the game for about 30 minutes until my first death. Open a cursed chest that requires you to kill 10 enemies before getting hit once to survive, there were swingin' spikeball traps outside and I thought "Hey I'll just drop to the floor and avoid them." and the entire floor was spikes. I'm in love.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
This game is real good. So far I love the Electric Whip, Triple Jump Amulet, and Attack+ Ability with something like Magnetic Bomb and just sit in the air and rain death from above. I always end up forgetting about my secondary weapon anyways and can't seem to use Shields in this to save my life anyways. Also I've been holding out buying a lot of the weapons/skills that just sound bad because I don't want them to gently caress up the drop table, both ingame and with Random Starting weapon.

So far it seems going through the Sewer is better than Ossuary? At least the 2x I've been in the Ossuary, it dumps me out in the Ramparts which gets MUCH less poo poo than The Old Sewer. Is there supposed to be another exit out of the Ossuary that's just not put in?

E: Also I swear the timer and timed-doors are hosed up. The time they say it locked is basically like 1 minute after I spawned in. I don't see how anyone could get those unless they get lucky, beeline straight to the next level and hopefully beeline straight to the door if you can find it. Is there anything good behind them anyways? Seems like you'll lose much more out of missing 2-4 upgrades + blueprints + weapons+ skills a level

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 16, 2017

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

E: I'm dumb and likely wrong.

Akett fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 16, 2017

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Xaris posted:

E: Also I swear the timer and timed-doors are hosed up. The time they say it locked is basically like 1 minute after I spawned in. I don't see how anyone could get those unless they get lucky, beeline straight to the next level and hopefully beeline straight to the door if you can find it. Is there anything good behind them anyways? Seems like you'll lose much more out of missing 2-4 upgrades + blueprints + weapons+ skills a level

I've had the same experiences. I've raced to them to try and get there but haven't made it to one yet. I'd like to hear if anyone has.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have made it, usually with a minute left or so. Its usually about 2k gold and a rare blueprint; nothing really big. It does require rushing through the first area and then the Promenade though. Here's a few screenshots:

Notice I have 45 seconds left. So that's about 3:30 minutes from when you start a run.

Not even a blueprint! The total gold for this room was 1520 gold. It is different each time; and it usually isn't the first 'underground' passage. There's almost always some spike traps or flails separating it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
An early access game describing itself as "RogueVania" and "Souls-lite" wowza.

Game still looks hella cool though, gotta admit. What's this about a timer though?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Your Computer posted:

An early access game describing itself as "RogueVania" and "Souls-lite" wowza.

Game still looks hella cool though, gotta admit. What's this about a timer though?

Oh its nothing major. A treasure room on each of the second stages (out of 12 or so)
Pausing the game or going into the upgrade hub between stages pauses the timer; it doesn't seem to have any other impact on the gameplay beyond the treasure rooms as well.
Game is good!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

From what I've read in the Steam community guides and from the news outlining the things in the upcoming patch there's apparently a bug where the way out of a later game area can get stuck behind a timer door with a limit of 11 minutes, but I could be wrong.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Took me a bit over 14 hours to get all the unlocks. Such a fun game

Current last boss lags me a lot but disabling vsync cuts it to just a few moments of weird fps issues. Haven't had other issues

Final unlock took an hour and just when I gave up and just went for a run to get more gold I made it

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 17, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I finally got the god-damned Teleportation rune and wow the Ossuary is rough. Three times I've made it to there and three times I've been mercilessly reamed. And I had pretty good gear setups too!

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
I do not know if I can use anything but the rapier, though honestly the bow hosed up poo poo more often due to the piercing. Too bad I wasted all my health potions due to getting hit by multiple bat bombs.

Also they need to add more tiny HP enemies but swarms of them. Dropping into a room with a shitton of bats and just exploding/bleeding all of them is hilarious.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So some of the use items are amazing even though they don't seem like they would. Like the creepers....jesus, those lil cuties just rip dudes apart and you wouldn't think so. But then the meat grinders are just so underwhelming even though they sound cool and the same with the damage buff. What's even better is when you get some bleeds from the blood shield going and the creepers are just ripping guys apart.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Played a couple hours today, really reminds me of a beefed up Super House of Dead Ninjas. The variety of pickups makes each run feel a lot more unique and less grindy than i remember Rogue Legacy being, too

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
I like when the RNG snickers while giving you a level 1 item from a chest in the Ossuary.
Also the graveyard is like, oh well you were OP now you are just a chump.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
I found a blueprint for the Assassin's Blade directly above the starting point in Promenade of the Condemned. It seems like this always spawns there. Are there any more guaranteed hidden blueprint spots?

Also do not stand directly underneath elevators if you are calling them down.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

GUYS STOP posted:

I found a blueprint for the Assassin's Blade directly above the starting point in Promenade of the Condemned. It seems like this always spawns there. Are there any more guaranteed hidden blueprint spots?

Also do not stand directly underneath elevators if you are calling them down.

The first one you can find is a guaranteed hidden one.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Check the very first room you spawn in carefully.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This game's awesome. Liking Twin Daggers + Frost Blast at the moment, but at the same time, my infinite arrows + flashbang was doing work last run.

e: Important, so I don't forget: there's a Bloodborne-esque regain/rally mechanic that lets you get back what seems to be all of your health if you hit an enemy enough, quick enough after getting hurt.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Jeesis posted:

I do not know if I can use anything but the rapier, though honestly the bow hosed up poo poo more often due to the piercing. Too bad I wasted all my health potions due to getting hit by multiple bat bombs.

Also they need to add more tiny HP enemies but swarms of them. Dropping into a room with a shitton of bats and just exploding/bleeding all of them is hilarious.

Seconding the rapier being an awesome weapon, I beat a couple bosses just because I had it.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Bogart posted:

e: Important, so I don't forget: there's a Bloodborne-esque regain/rally mechanic that lets you get back what seems to be all of your health if you hit an enemy enough, quick enough after getting hurt.

Whoa, I've never played Bloodborne but I thought something quirky was happening with my health during combat. Hadn't quite put it together but that sounds right, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
This is a really good game.