Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Only Android Can Save Windows Phone

"Apps. Hmm, they seem useful" - Thurrott, Oct 2015

Local commuter rail station

I'd think he was getting paid by the word, if he was getting paid at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

apparently the discrete gpu version of the surface book will run an underclocked geforce 940m equivalent, which when running at full power is roughly the speed tier of mid-range desktop graphics cards from 2008

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Underclocked.

The base 940M is already only about level with Haswell Iris Pro.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

so how is this thing supposed to be 2x the performance of the rmbp again?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

you'll replace it twice as fast as an equivalent mac

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

carry on then posted:

I get the feeling Microsoft's claim (or at least its cheerleaders) is 'because it's both a laptop and a tablet! :buddy:'

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I get the feeling Microsoft's claim (or at least its cheerleaders) is 'because it's both a laptop and a tablet! :buddy:'

it is fair that we took all the numbers and x'd them by 2

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

it is fair that we took all the numbers and x'd them by 2

Is that why they think the Xbone outdoes the PS4.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

oh, let me guess, the top of the line model offers up to 2x performance of the base model rmbp

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Is that why they think the Xbone outdoes the PS4.

wait, have they told how much ram surface book has? and what kind is it?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheany posted:

wait, have they told how much ram surface book has? and what kind is it?

bad ram but it doesnt matter since its not actually competing with anything

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

quote:

For $3,200, the highest-end Surface Book packs an Intel Core i7 processor—Microsoft previously said the specific model would be the i7-6600U, a 2.6GHz dual-core processor with Intel HD graphics 520

lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

surufacebook: $3,200 for a 2.6ghz dual core
MBP: $3,200 for a 2.8ghz quad core, also a better gpu

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

also resale value

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Stux posted:

wow turns out the apple tax is bullshit you say?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Space-Pope posted:

imas sururpised as u

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

can your macbook become a fat tablet with poo poo battery life? YEAH I DIDNT THINK SO

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Space-Pope posted:

More likely Microsoft is delusional enough to think they're worth the Apple Tax. Supporting evidence: how delusional they have to be to do half the poo poo they've done lately.

None of this is meant to imply that Apple is worth the Apple Tax.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there is no apple tax, everything else just has a microsoft subsidy

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

All the PC vendors compete on price, the rare spots of attempted quality have been extreme markups that are double or triple Apple prices and not long lived. Microsoft cannot compete on price and appear to be butt hurt on the quality vendors churned out with Windows 8. The goal is pretty low already, just not crap (tm) would have sufficed for many users.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
i always figured winders laptops were cheaper because the bloatware or something. i guess they're cheaper if you dont value your time tracking down drivers that don't come with norton or whatever and reinstalling the os

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it's too bad microsoft is so obsessed with the touchscreen and tablet poo poo. they should have just made a decent laptop years ago

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

theyve clearly retreated from touchscreen/tablet poo poo on the software side and windows 10 offers a worse touchscreen experience than windows 8 but they keep pushing tablets for some reason

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

when you try use chrome

i went to open a .html file and this popped up...

:downs:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Soldier of Fortran posted:

I'm still using WIndows 7 and I seriously cannot believe that this is legitimately what the Windows UI looks like nowadays.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is just sad

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It actually does that with opening the file itself, rather than inside a program/'app'/whatever, after any change to the relevant file extension or protocol's association. I don't know if it does that for the first time an extension or protocol prefix is associated with something.

Android does the same thing; I don't know about other OSes/UIs.

This is not a comparative value judgment, but an 'are you sure' on file associations is actually pretty hard to argue against unless you're not satisfied with attacking Microsoft pack-in garbage on its own merits.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 19, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

also resale value

also usable

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It actually does that with opening the file itself, rather than inside a program/'app'/whatever, after any change to the relevant file extension or protocol's association. I don't know if it does that for the first time an extension or protocol prefix is associated with something.

This is not a comparative value judgment, but an 'are you sure' on file associations is actually pretty hard to argue against unless you're not satisfied with attacking Microsoft pack-in garbage on its own merits.

i think its more the "featured in windows 10" and the please try our browser bullshit

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

no, sorry, it's poo poo

see how in the screenshot it says "keep using"? meaning firefox is already set to open html files. every other version of windows will just open the loving file without badgering you how to open it because the file association has already been set

but the real corn kernel in the turd is the "featured in windows 10" garbage. it's effectively advertising in your OS because gently caress you

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Users are sometimes dumb but will still (might have to) use general-purpose OSes anyway. That box actually probably stops some bad stuff from happening. Until dehumanize yourself and face to Chromebook (or equivalent) becomes a viable way to handle one's computing affairs that isn't going away.

Also it only happens once if you set it explicitly through anything other than that box (because it can't tell if it was you or a program that did it, probably because of a lifetime of technical debt or something). Happening consistently with something that has no or a contested association until something gets alwaysed was not even new to XP.

Thanks Ants posted:

i think its more the "featured in windows 10" and the please try our browser bullshit

Well yeah, that part's garbage, and you already saw my opinion on the clingy-rear end defaults page.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

how much is this going to cost them in the eu? another 500 mil?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
also I would like to amend my lols regarding the $3k hololens as I was unaware it was a dev kit but I reserve future lols for the finished product

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
reminder that Microsoft bought and the killed Nokia in favour of using Microsoft branding.

because Microsoft ha more brand equity than Nokia

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

univbee posted:

apparently the discrete gpu version of the surface book will run an underclocked geforce 940m equivalent, which when running at full power is roughly the speed tier of mid-range desktop graphics cards from 2008
holy gently caress i nailed it by pointing out how they only kept saying "geforce gpu" without any model number

and it's not even a real 940m it's more like some custom oem model, so you probably can't even get proper drivers direct from nvidia for it (similar to dell's gtx745)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
let's point out the awesome gaming power of our labtop by showing a us playing a video of us playing a pc port from 2007

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Phoenixan posted:

let's point out the awesome gaming power of our labtop by showing a us playing a video of us playing a pc port from 2007

halo 2?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

forza 6 didn't even make the top 10 in sales in september

quote:

1.) NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
2.) Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3) [Note: This is Madden's second month.]
3.) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
4.) FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
5.) Destiny: The Taken King (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
6.) Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
7.) Disney Infinity 3.0 (360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
8.) Mad Max (PS4, Xbox One)
9.) NHL 16 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
10.) Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
at least they got minecraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

the awesome gaming power of our laptop streaming from our console

• Locked thread