Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Andrast posted:

Do you really think that if they were porting Fates to switch, they would only port Revelation? That would be the dumbest thing.

On the other hand, it's Nintendo so they might actually do that.

Revelation would also work as a title for a compilation release at retail. I dunno. Food for thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
*splatoon playing child shoots absentmindedly at corner for 5 minutes*
look daddy im helping!

*serious gamer father glances over lid of gaming laptop, disappointment on his face*
thats... great conner

nintendos done it again!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'll buy Switch Fates if I still get the discount since I only ever got Birthright.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

HyperPuma posted:

there was someone in this thread saying splatoon is a revolutionary shooter because it rewards teamwork

I'd say it is due to the core gameplay being about painting turf and killing is just a secondary objective that can further your ability to do so or stymie your opponent's progress. Also your gun is tied to your ability to move faster and in stealth.
Yeah I'ts revolutionary vs say calling a nuke, kill streaks, and wartorn shithole levels.

Splatoon didn't feel like I was playing a shooter at all in fact. I don't think of my weapons as gun proxys due to how their main consideration is how well they coat turf.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

I'll buy Switch Fates if I still get the discount since I only ever got Birthright.

so you won't be buying it then?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Splatoon is better than Overwatch

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you can do ports of wii u titles. you cant do ports of 3ds games because anyone buying the switch already had a 3ds and played fates and found it wanting. my god we're a failed launch away from nintendo cannibalizing their 3ds market and being reduced to a pathetic phone dev

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh poo poo im just talking to a troll. Sorry!

Anyway Splatoon is a brillant game thank you and good night.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

splatoon has double the idols which makes it twice as good as overwatch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HyperPuma posted:

*splatoon playing child shoots absentmindedly at corner for 5 minutes*
look daddy im helping!

*serious gamer father glances over lid of gaming laptop, disappointment on his face*
thats... great conner

nintendos done it again!

nintendo dad wanted to name connor, prof. E. Gadd, but his bitch wife insisted

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Mahoning posted:

I never heard of Splatoon until last week's announcement (I largely ignore video game news or trends outside of Zelda games) but now that I've seen it in action I'll probably buy it. After more than a decade on the other side of the country, my brother and sister have both moved within 2 minutes of my house and I want to have a bunch of games that we can all play together. That snipperclips looks fun and I'll probably end up with 1-2 Switch and Mario Kart too. This really looks like the ideal console for my situation.

Splatoon is fun for the whole family but just FYI there is no splitscreen in the Wii U version (except for a stupid 1v1 mode) and there's a good chance there won't be any in the Switch version, either.

Worth mentioning because most Nintendo games with multiplayer have it, but Splatoon doesn't.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they release fates on switch it better be an inclusive goty package and not expect you to buy 40 bucks of dlc but who knows

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Does anyone know if the dock can sit horizontally or even rotated like 90° while standing upright? It'll look dumb as gently caress if it has to set flat next to my tv.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

Splatoon is fun for the whole family but just FYI there is no splitscreen in the Wii U version (except for a stupid 1v1 mode) and there's a good chance there won't be any in the Switch version, either.

Worth mentioning because most Nintendo games with multiplayer have it, but Splatoon doesn't.

I've read that it has local multiplayer this time around. Even if it's only 1v1 that's cool.

Edit: from the Nintendo website

Nintendo posted:

Local and Online Multiplayer – In a first for the series, compete in local multiplayer Turf War battles, whether in TV mode or on-the-go in handheld or tabletop modes. Online battles also make a return.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 17, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

if they release fates on switch it better be an inclusive goty package and not expect you to buy 40 bucks of dlc but who knows

I have Birthright on my 3DS and was eventually considering buying Conquest+Awakening... but yeah... if this is like a GOTY thing, sign me the gently caress up for that poo poo.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Here's an interesting article that compares the TV functionality of Switch to the Kinect:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/nintendo-switchs-identity-crisis-could-echo-microsofts-kinect-disaster/

They argue that the Switch should be a handheld first and foremost and that the TV stuff should either be sold separately or replaced by an HDMI port, with some pretty compelling reasoning behind it. I agree for the most part.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

Posted this in the FE thread but it's also relevant here

from the code here you can find the following:

???

e:

Oh, for the switch. Interesting.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Philip Rivers posted:

Yeah, that won't happen. You should still get it if it's a compilation though. Revalation is pretty janky, but Conquest is one of the best Fire Emblem's they've ever made. If they actually are putting out Fates on the Switch they might say something about it during the Fire Emblem Warriors Direct.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Pirate Captain posted:

Here's an interesting article that compares the TV functionality of Switch to the Kinect:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/nintendo-switchs-identity-crisis-could-echo-microsofts-kinect-disaster/

They argue that the Switch should be a handheld first and foremost and that the TV stuff should either be sold separately or replaced by an HDMI port, with some pretty compelling reasoning behind it. I agree for the most part.

I read that article earlier and thought it was garbage. They're comparing a functionality that I guarantee 99% of Switch owners will use, and every game can utilize, to a peripheral that virtually nobody wanted and very few games even utilized. It's a false equivalency, even if "they should sell it without the dock at a lower price" is a reasonable argument. It's click bait garbage in the style of "Is [new product] the next [old product that failed]?!"

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

If it was just an hdmi port literally nobody would play it on the TV

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

That essay is dumb because Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player loving owned. Playing portable games on TV owns.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Philip Rivers posted:

That essay is dumb because Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player loving owned. Playing portable games on TV owns.

I'd b really happy if they put at least a few handheld ip's on the Switch, I've always preferred playing on a TV if it's an option.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

A Game Boy that's also its own Super Game Boy is basically the ideal Nintendo console, which is why the Switch is gonna rule.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fire Emblem Fates getting a all-dlc-included port to the Switch is an interesting move, because between that (a 3DS game) and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (a Wii U game) we're seeing Nintendo just 100% solidify the Switch as the replacement for both previous lines of devices. while they continue to claim it's a 3rd pillar.

i cant believe they're still using the 3rd pillar line after all these years

Fates is a lot of fun too so that should be a nice thing to grab for anyone who missed out on it before or didn't want to pay for all the DLC stuff. no real incentive to pick it up as someone who already owns the game and both dlc campaigns but it's got some good appeal and is a good indication we'll get a full new proper Fire Emblem in 2018 or 2019

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Mahoning posted:

I read that article earlier and thought it was garbage. They're comparing a functionality that I guarantee 99% of Switch owners will use, and every game can utilize, to a peripheral that virtually nobody wanted and very few games even utilized. It's a false equivalency, even if "they should sell it without the dock at a lower price" is a reasonable argument. It's click bait garbage in the style of "Is [new product] the next [old product that failed]?!"

I disagree completely. While TV is obviously better supported on the Switch than the Kinect every was, they are both features that the system is better off selling optionally and marketing as such. As a console, the Switch is underpowered and sounds like it sucks, and what they've shown so far doesn't seem any more appealing that the WiiU was before it launched. As a handheld, the Switch is amazing and its hardware is far better than its closest competitor, which is its own device the 3DS.

The XBox sold like a dog's anus while it was sold with the Kinect, but when they started selling it separately and dropped the core price appropriately, it sold gangbusters. Imagine a world where the Switch sells for $250, and the TV stuff is either $50, or you can do it for free using an HDMI cable. In both cases, the Switch as it is now costs the same amount, but the first way it allows them to market it as a powerful device (instead of not even mentioning power because it can't stack up to its competitors), AND as a $250 device instead of a $300 one.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Not to mention it would be a dumb business decision because they'd basically be fragmenting their monopoly on handheld gaming. They are smart to market this as a home console that plays your typical home console games but is also portable. That is a market need that has gone completely unfulfilled since that PSone that had an LCD screen sort of came and went with little to no success.

They don't need to capture any handheld gamers, they already have them and will keep them since there's no real competition. They need to capture home console owners that are intrigued that they can play Zelda, Mario, or Skyrim while they're taking a poo poo.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

If the Switch just played 3DS games out of the box it would be amazing, instead Nintendo is going to port a tiny portion of 3DS library and sell it to you again at full price. Ocarina of Time HD-Switch and other such bullshit

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I can appreciate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVOjDpCyVd0

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Says the man with the Mario avatar

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

If you don't like the dock then I don't get you tbh. $300 is eminently reasonable and packing it in with the console opens up design space for games that are optimized for either mode instead of relegating screencasting to a gimmick that probably won't see widespread adoption. BotW on a handheld is cool, but really, I mostly want to play it on the TV. There will also certainly be games that are good to play on your TV, but are better portable titles. It's a bit of a gamble but I think overtly aiming towards a unified home console/portable platform is smart and good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It has a three hour battery life and one screen.

Edit: and it costs 300 dollars, can't forget that.

It's a bad console but I wouldn't say it's a great handheld either.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 17, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

EMC posted:

If the Switch just played 3DS games out of the box it would be amazing, instead Nintendo is going to port a tiny portion of 3DS library and sell it to you again at full price. Ocarina of Time HD-Switch and other such bullshit

Have you noticed that the switch doesn't have two screens?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Andrast posted:

Have you noticed that the switch doesn't have two screens?

The second one if your phone duh

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The only 2 screen title that was ever fundamentally better for having it was The World Ends With You.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Not to mention it would be a dumb business decision because they'd basically be fragmenting their monopoly on handheld gaming. They are smart to market this as a home console that plays your typical home console games but is also portable. That is a market need that has gone completely unfulfilled since that PSone that had an LCD screen sort of came and went with little to no success.

They don't need to capture any handheld gamers, they already have them and will keep them since there's no real competition. They need to capture home console owners that are intrigued that they can play Zelda, Mario, or Skyrim while they're taking a poo poo.

Their handheld division is hugely profitable for them. Their console division, right now, is not, and as a console the Switch looks no more appealing than a WiiU. Combined, the DS and 3DS have sold well over 200 million units. Have any consoles sold that well? Do you think the Switch, as a console, would get even close to that?

Apple cannibalizes their own products all the time, and they have approximately all the money. Did you know that last year Apple made more than 100% of the profits in the cell phone industry? The Samsung battery stuff cost so much that the failure of a single device was enough to push Apple over 100%. IF you are smart about it, cannibalizing your own business can be a very good decision.

Hell, they could have waited a year or two, beefed up the hardware a bit, and released it then, killing of the DS at the same time. Remember, under this scenario the Switch still has all the functionality that it does now, at the exact same price, it's just marketed better in such a way that it would actually sell.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Yeah, I'd have to say Nintendo not selling a "handheld" version of the Switch is pretty disappointing, especially considering they're selling every bit of it BESIDES the important part separately.

I love the 3ds and play it quite a bit specifically because it's a handheld and I can lay in bed and play for a bit before going to sleep.

Basically, I'm annoyed that Nintendo's new handheld costs 300 dollars and comes with some plastic crap I'll almost never use. To me the dock just makes it an incredibly expensive Vita TV.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I disagree completely. While TV is obviously better supported on the Switch than the Kinect every was, they are both features that the system is better off selling optionally and marketing as such. As a console, the Switch is underpowered and sounds like it sucks, and what they've shown so far doesn't seem any more appealing that the WiiU was before it launched. As a handheld, the Switch is amazing and its hardware is far better than its closest competitor, which is its own device the 3DS.

The XBox sold like a dog's anus while it was sold with the Kinect, but when they started selling it separately and dropped the core price appropriately, it sold gangbusters. Imagine a world where the Switch sells for $250, and the TV stuff is either $50, or you can do it for free using an HDMI cable. In both cases, the Switch as it is now costs the same amount, but the first way it allows them to market it as a powerful device (instead of not even mentioning power because it can't stack up to its competitors), AND as a $250 device instead of a $300 one.

The first bolded bit is exactly why they won't, and shouldn't do it. You're arguing that they should compete against themselves? Basically cannibalize their own business? What the gently caress?

And the whole second paragraph is again more false equivalency. The Xbox One didn't sell because it was $500. The Switch is retailing for a full $200 less. It'll sell fine.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
"Sell the Switch without the dock" is going to become the new "Sell the Wii U without the gamepad."

This thing is the Wii U all over again in every way, good and bad.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

$300 for the best handheld console ever made, screencasting dock included, is fair if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Their handheld division is hugely profitable for them. Their console division, right now, is not, and as a console the Switch looks no more appealing than a WiiU. Combined, the DS and 3DS have sold well over 200 million units. Have any consoles sold that well?

The Wii sold over 100 million units.

• Locked thread