Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One thing I was thinking of is a lot of people are saying the HD Rumble really does feel like different material/weight/you can tell stuff apart with it and it would be really cool if a survival horror game utilized that. As an examble imagine the bathtub draining scene from resident evil and as your character reaches in the murky water the HD Rumble creates the feeling of something slimy sliding past your hands when Jill reaches in the water as you hold the joycons

Then she pulls it out of the water and it's a Nintendo Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I think the most important question currently unanswered is, what does the R stand for in Super Bomberman R?

maybe it means literally nothing like sonic r

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tako, MS did Kinect/TV integration, PS4 did PSVR. I don't think it's fair to say Nintendo is the only one trying new things. (Unfortunately all these new things are trash)

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

It was posted earlier but I really hope nintendo puts more focus on a handheld that can also dock. Instead of their console that is also portable shtick.

alr
May 14, 2009
I'm curious, do people excited for this see it as primarily a home console that can also be used elsewhere, or a new gameboy that'll occasionally be plugged into the TV? After the official announcement I was pretty optimistic, the hardware seems fine for what I want (pure portable) but I can see where the disappointment comes from. I'm hoping in a year or two I can pick one up as a reduced price version that's only the console/joycons. Gonna be a tough sell to have Pokemon trading and Monster Hunter with friends locked behind a paywall, though the cost doesn't worry me as much as Nintendo's past lack of online competence does

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't care. Nintendo's art direction is good enough where I don't need super loving realistic graphics. If Nintendo can make 1080p/60 and 720p/60 undocked games I'd be fine with games that looked as good or slightly better than Wii U games did.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

MK8 had some absolutely amazing lighting that'll probably look even better in MK8D.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alr posted:

I'm curious, do people excited for this see it as primarily a home console that can also be used elsewhere, or a new gameboy that'll occasionally be plugged into the TV? After the official announcement I was pretty optimistic, the hardware seems fine for what I want (pure portable) but I can see where the disappointment comes from. I'm hoping in a year or two I can pick one up as a reduced price version that's only the console/joycons. Gonna be a tough sell to have Pokemon trading and Monster Hunter with friends locked behind a paywall, though the cost doesn't worry me as much as Nintendo's past lack of online competence does

I expect to use it on my TV 90% of the time, but the option is great.

Pokemon trading etc is always locked behind a paywall, this wall is just a liiiitle higher.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Doom House: The Game confirmed for switch release

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

alr posted:

I see it as a home console that's going to let me keep playing Zelda while I'm on the bus or sitting in a plasma center.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Well, you've successfully identified the main problem with Nintendo: they are bad at marketing. There's no issue with the quality of their games for the most part, they just have trouble convincing people that they are fun. This is probably directly caused by the "kiddie" image that they've intentionally cultivated and has not worked out well for them in recent years.

But, it seems they've learned their lesson this time around. The first Switch video had no kids in it, and in a recent interview Reggie implied that their target demographic with the Switch is young adults with disposable income. Link: https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-switch-reggie-fils-aime-3ds-tablet-launch/

Of course, he also said the Switch's "large library" of games will appeal to young adults/early adopters, so maybe they haven't learned anything at all. Say what you will about the quality of the games, they will not have a large library of anything by the time "early adopters" just become "adopters".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

I don't care. Nintendo's art direction is good enough where I don't need super loving realistic graphics. If Nintendo can make 1080p/60 and 720p/60 undocked games I'd be fine with games that looked as good or slightly better than Wii U games did.

That doesn't seem to be the case, if BotW is anything to go by.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

alr posted:

New gameboy that will probably never even be docked, let alone plugged into a tv.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Posted this in the FE thread but it's also relevant here

from the code here you can find the following:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

OH gently caress YES

Like a proper Fire Emblem on the Switch?

:hellyeah:

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

alr posted:

I have no interest in it as a console and am only buying it out of the hope it will end up being the next portable system and get the same kind of third party support that the DS has. Man, I love the 3DS, it's far and away my favorite platform ever. I have 50+ games downloaded onto mine, a handful of physical carts, and probably 30-40 DS carts. No other game system has even come close in terms of quantity of good games, although PS4 is getting up there. If the switch is half as good as the 3DS, or even one quarter as good, it will still be money well spent.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine at the very least that the Japanese developers who released primarily on the Vita are gonna be wild about the Switch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sold

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Takoluka posted:

Literally everyone I know, of all ages, can identify Nintendo characters, because they are consistently in the mainstream, as part of fantastic games that toxic environments have pushed into the category of "baby games for babies". People will buy and have bought PS4s for a single game: Bloodborne. I personally know people who bought XB1s for Halo 5. Many of those same people would not buy a Wii U for any of their high-quality exclusives. Bayonetta fans are still clamoring for a PS4 release of the second game. Despite some of the best platformers in gaming history, the freshest new online shooter IP in ages, and one of the most popular party fighters ever, people will not buy Wii U systems. Why? Because Nintendo "marketed to children and alienated the real hardcore gamer."

Looking around the internet, people are livid that Nintendo didn't build a handheld gaming PC that will play all games ever made. Every game Nintendo has made, regardless of positives or negatives, is somehow terrible. Star Fox Zero was somehow simultaneously too much and not enough like Star Fox 64 and used a control scheme that was both new and interesting while also being unintuitive and game-ruining. There's no new F-Zero! No, even if Fast Racing Neo provides everything that would satisfy that need, it doesn't have New Mute City U, so I'm out.

I'm not some gigantic Nintendo fanboy (outside of Splatoon), but the overwhelming negativity about everything Nintendo does is just exhausting. People have been complaining about this company as far back as the early 90s on BBS boards, and I don't understand why. They're not a perfect company, not by a long shot, but they're the last interesting hardware and software developers. They're willing to try new things. They're willing to fail and learn, while still taking big risks at times. So much of what they do has personality and charm, and the Switch just seems so unique and fun, but as far as I can tell, it might as well be as powerful as a Galaxy S2 that will require a $15/mo subscription fee to play one Virtual Boy game for 30 minutes, because while some fanboys will defend a box of garbage if it has a red hat on it, others will foresee Nintendo's impending downfall no matter what and doomsay whatever they make into self-fulfilled prophecies.

Nice meltdown, Takoluka!

nice meltdown

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Takoluka posted:

Literally everyone I know, of all ages, can identify Nintendo characters, because they are consistently in the mainstream, as part of fantastic games that toxic environments have pushed into the category of "baby games for babies". People will buy and have bought PS4s for a single game: Bloodborne. I personally know people who bought XB1s for Halo 5. Many of those same people would not buy a Wii U for any of their high-quality exclusives. Bayonetta fans are still clamoring for a PS4 release of the second game. Despite some of the best platformers in gaming history, the freshest new online shooter IP in ages, and one of the most popular party fighters ever, people will not buy Wii U systems. Why? Because Nintendo "marketed to children and alienated the real hardcore gamer."

Looking around the internet, people are livid that Nintendo didn't build a handheld gaming PC that will play all games ever made. Every game Nintendo has made, regardless of positives or negatives, is somehow terrible. Star Fox Zero was somehow simultaneously too much and not enough like Star Fox 64 and used a control scheme that was both new and interesting while also being unintuitive and game-ruining. There's no new F-Zero! No, even if Fast Racing Neo provides everything that would satisfy that need, it doesn't have New Mute City U, so I'm out.

I'm not some gigantic Nintendo fanboy (outside of Splatoon), but the overwhelming negativity about everything Nintendo does is just exhausting. People have been complaining about this company as far back as the early 90s on BBS boards, and I don't understand why. They're not a perfect company, not by a long shot, but they're the last interesting hardware and software developers. They're willing to try new things. They're willing to fail and learn, while still taking big risks at times. So much of what they do has personality and charm, and the Switch just seems so unique and fun, but as far as I can tell, it might as well be as powerful as a Galaxy S2 that will require a $15/mo subscription fee to play one Virtual Boy game for 30 minutes, because while some fanboys will defend a box of garbage if it has a red hat on it, others will foresee Nintendo's impending downfall no matter what and doomsay whatever they make into self-fulfilled prophecies.

Nice meltdown, Takoluka!

a lot of this stuff you typed reads like criticism of nintendo personally pains you but jokes on me for reading most of it good show :wotwot:

lets be switch friends for splatoon

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

OH gently caress YES

Like a proper Fire Emblem on the Switch?

:hellyeah:

i really wouldn't get excited unless they start talking up major changes because revelation was kind of a mess

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dexo posted:

I doubt most, if any, would be 1080 but as long as the important stuff like MK and Smash are 60fps it doesn't really matter.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

splatoon is a game for child and childlike minds

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

there was someone in this thread saying splatoon is a revolutionary shooter because it rewards teamwork

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

Well then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v2GDbEmjGE

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I imagine at the very least that the Japanese developers who released primarily on the Vita are gonna be wild about the Switch

Man oh man I hope so. More so with 3DS devs than Vita but there were some good games on there too. It's pretty much the only place to get JRPGs these days and yeah, most of them are anime crap but there are enough good ones in there to make it worthwhile.

The day they release an exclusive Phoenix Wright game on the Switch is the day the Switch becomes worth its value, no matter what it cost.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

there was someone in this thread saying splatoon is a revolutionary shooter because it rewards teamwork

yeah it's a pretty cool game, you should try it sometime

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

i really wouldn't get excited unless they start talking up major changes because revelation was kind of a mess

Do you really think that if they were porting Fates to switch, they would only port Revelation? That would be the dumbest thing.

On the other hand, it's Nintendo so they might actually do that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

I am no child and like splatoon and working out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HyperPuma posted:

switch will scan users faces and call the police if they seem too old

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

HyperPuma posted:

Someone hasn't seen the view from inside the Splatoon esports championships

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

EMC posted:

Now imagine if Nintendo creates a MOBA using all their characters.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Andrast posted:

Do you really think that if they were porting Fates to switch, they would only port Revelation? That would be the dumbest thing.

On the other hand, it's Nintendo so they might actually do that.

i feel like they'd just call it 'fates for switch' though? it's either a weird naming choice or a weird content distribution choice, i was just trying to temper someone's excitement over a mediocre dlc campaign

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Super Smash Dotes??

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Infinitum posted:

It would probably be like Heroes of the Storm and nobody would play it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

EMC posted:

How did they get every WiiU owner together at the same time???

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

HotS would be a really good game if it was fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Pirate Captain posted:

Man oh man I hope so. More so with 3DS devs than Vita but there were some good games on there too. It's pretty much the only place to get JRPGs these days and yeah, most of them are anime crap but there are enough good ones in there to make it worthwhile.

The day they release an exclusive Phoenix Wright game on the Switch is the day the Switch becomes worth its value, no matter what it cost.

bad jrpgs are bad independent of anime

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

bad jrpgs are bad independent of anime

Yeah but most of the bad ones on Vita are anime as fuuuuuuuuuukkk

edit: to be fair, most of the good ones are too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I never heard of Splatoon until last week's announcement (I largely ignore video game news or trends outside of Zelda games) but now that I've seen it in action I'll probably buy it. After more than a decade on the other side of the country, my brother and sister have both moved within 2 minutes of my house and I want to have a bunch of games that we can all play together. That snipperclips looks fun and I'll probably end up with 1-2 Switch and Mario Kart too. This really looks like the ideal console for my situation.

• Locked thread